post #7111 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You should not return a plasma display because you can hear buzzing when your head is behind the display unless that's your normal location when you use the display. wink.gif

I have been watching from behind the display and not only do I hear buzzing, the picture sucks from back there, too.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I have been watching from behind the display and not only do I hear buzzing, the picture sucks from back there, too.

But I'm sure you would get great black levels and no Image retention smile.gif

The sammy just really made me paranoid frown.gif I just want know if some buzzing would be normal, or if there should be NO buzzing at all. Like should I expect all plasma's to buzz somewhat? Or is any buzz a defect/flaw. I do hear a little buzzing on a bright Grey or white slide, since the TV needs more power from my normal viewing distance.

I know it's been beaten to death on the forum I'm just trying to find a reason to back away from the cliff. biggrin.gif

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #7113 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

How would you go about copying ISF-Night settings that are fixed?

You would have to go through the ISF settings tree (all the menus and sub-menus), write down all the settings, and enter them into the Custom settings tree manually.
post #7114 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

How would you go about copying ISF-Night settings that are fixed?

ControlCAL G/VT30 Edition v2 can do that..

I'll PM you some info

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #7115 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Well, I'm watching mine right now and I don't hear any buzzing. I don't know yet if my buzzing problem is gone or if it just means it comes and goes. I will keep an "ear" out for it during my 30-day exchange period.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #7116 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I suspect it doesn't change very much over time. Perhaps a bit darker towards evening?
post #7117 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

The sammy just really made me paranoid frown.gif I just want know if some buzzing would be normal, or if there should be NO buzzing at all. Like should I expect all plasma's to buzz somewhat? Or is any buzz a defect/flaw. I do hear a little buzzing on a bright Grey or white slide, since the TV needs more power from my normal viewing distance.
I know it's been beaten to death on the forum I'm just trying to find a reason to back away from the cliff. biggrin.gif

Up the meds a bit...wink.gif

The plasma is going to make SOME noise due to high voltage / high (relative) frequency components. And the larger VT has fans in the back.
post #7118 of 13696 Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

Up the meds a bit...wink.gif
The plasma is going to make SOME noise due to high voltage / high (relative) frequency components. And the larger VT has fans in the back.

I hear zero buzzing on my p65vt50

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
post #7119 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Every plasma buzzes.

Not every plasma buzzes in a way that you can hear it from a normal seating position with any TV volume.

When I am fast forwarding content late at night and I pause on a light screen, I can hear the buzz from my couch. Otherwise, I never hear the TV unless I am right near it for some reason.

I once had a Pioneer that regularly made an audible racket from the couch. I needed to return it.

Recently, I had my hearing tested and it's every bit as good as a 15-year-old's. This TV is clearly quieter.

The idea that anyone owns one that is truly silent, I personally believe is absurd. But if you happen to think yours is and you live somewhere near me, I'd love to "hear" your silent TV for comparison. That said, I would be shocked if anyone would complain about my TV's noise level.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #7120 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Every plasma buzzes.
Not every plasma buzzes in a way that you can hear it from a normal seating position with any TV volume.
When I am fast forwarding content late at night and I pause on a light screen, I can hear the buzz from my couch. Otherwise, I never hear the TV unless I am right near it for some reason.
I once had a Pioneer that regularly made an audible racket from the couch. I needed to return it.
Recently, I had my hearing tested and it's every bit as good as a 15-year-old's. This TV is clearly quieter.
The idea that anyone owns one that is truly silent, I personally believe is absurd. But if you happen to think yours is and you live somewhere near me, I'd love to "hear" your silent TV for comparison. That said, I would be shocked if anyone would complain about my TV's noise level.

If i hold my ear up to the TV it is truly silent. If you believe that is absurd i do not care at all.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
post #7121 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

If i hold my ear up to the TV it is truly silent. If you believe that is absurd i do not care at all.

But the fact is that every single Plasma TV ever made buzzes, even if it's just a teensy weensy little bit. It's an inherent function of the technology and it's impossible for it not to buzz even if your particular ears cannot detect it.

Not only does the panel buzz, the power supply (transformer) also buzzes. When i've put my ear to the back of my GT50 in a completely silent room at 5am i can barely hear the transformer, and in front the panel buzz is a tiny bit louder but i consider the TV to be "virtually" silent, not truly silent. I happen to have gotten a very quiet unit.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7122 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

I had a Samsung E8000 for about a week. It generates a perpetual buzz that gets louder on bright scenes.

The VT50 buzzes slightly on bright scenes only.
post #7123 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 16
Well my EU VT50 is going back and Panasonic is sending a replacement. I had severe banding which was reason enough to replace. They told me it was something in the production proces which caused this issue, getting a replacement could be better but also worse or the same, as all 50 series tv's apparently suffer from this. I do wonder though, are there any users here who have issues with banding (mainly visible at right hand side of the screen). I also noticed line bleed was terrible, as good as all subtitles project a big horizontal white bar next to them in almost all scenes. There is even line bleed from normal tv content, lines coming from faces etcetera. Is this normal on this series or did I just get a tv which has all known errors in them?
post #7124 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM

Wow, my eyes are bugging out but I just finished reading this entire thread! I am pretty excited as my p55VT50 was just delivered 20 minutes ago. I'm debating how I should proceed with the break in procedure. About half way through this read I figured the slides were the only way to go. Now that I have completed the thread I'm thinking of just powering it up and enjoying the set being aware of the potential pitfalls of certain material. The only thing that concerns me is tomorrow nights football game. By kickoff, I will maybe have 24 hours on the set if I don't turn it off once I get it set up later today. Those of you that chose to not go the slide route and just plug and enjoy, would you be concerned with a 3+ hour football game on day 2 of your new plasma? I am super excited about opening this box soon and getting it set up! (I have to go into work for about an hour before I can open this box, and it's killing me)

A huge thank you to all who have contributed so much to this great thread! Your time and knowledge has been greatly appreciated!
post #7125 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOut View Post

Wow, my eyes are bugging out but I just finished reading this entire thread! I am pretty excited as my p55VT50 was just delivered 20 minutes ago. I'm debating how I should proceed with the break in procedure. About half way through this read I figured the slides were the only way to go. Now that I have completed the thread I'm thinking of just powering it up and enjoying the set being aware of the potential pitfalls of certain material. The only thing that concerns me is tomorrow nights football game. By kickoff, I will maybe have 24 hours on the set if I don't turn it off once I get it set up later today. Those of you that chose to not go the slide route and just plug and enjoy, would you be concerned with a 3+ hour football game on day 2 of your new plasma? I am super excited about opening this box soon and getting it set up! (I have to go into work for about an hour before I can open this box, and it's killing me)
A huge thank you to all who have contributed so much to this great thread! Your time and knowledge has been greatly appreciated!

I just got my 65VT50 on Saturday and I'm not running slides. I made sure to turn the brightness and contrast down to 50 in each case while I'm working through the first 200 hours. I have the orbiter turned on (though I'm not really convinced that would do anything) and I've been avoiding any sort of static images on screen. If it were me, I'd be a little nervous to watch a 3+ hour football game on my set, but you could always try watching something like ESPN (or another channel with static tickers) for 10 or 15 minutes prior to the game to see if there's any IR. If you see any with that small test, I'd stay away from the game. Another option would be to use the TV's zoom feature to crop out the tickers.
post #7126 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOut View Post

My set was delivered around 2:30 on a Thursday and I watched football on it that night. I used THX Cinema exclusively for the first couple of days. After the game, I put on HDNET Movie channel and let it run all night the first 2 nights. Now I use a very close variation of Topper's settings which look much better than THX. I have not seen even the slightest hint of IR. I probably have a total of 100 hrs by now. Never used any slides, just enjoying it!

post #7127 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad0118 View Post

It's likely you have hearing loss. If you believe that is absurd, I do not care at all.

post #7128 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't seen it asked as far as I can tell. Might be why it's a dumb question, lol. Plus it will save me some experimental time if useless to try.

But, if I were to try some of the settings posted here and elsewhere. Currently using the c-net settings. Most of these settings are using the custom option. Is there a difference between custom and vivid/cinema/game if all setting values are made the same, or are there certain adjustments greyed out in these other modes? I'm using a Darblet via an hdmi switcher, and would like to keep everything running through it rather than separate hdmi inputs.

Thanks
post #7129 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

My set was delivered around 2:30 on a Thursday and I watched football on it that night. I used THX Cinema exclusively for the first couple of days. After the game, I put on HDNET Movie channel and let it run all night the first 2 nights. Now I use a very close variation of Topper's settings which look much better than THX. I have not seen even the slightest hint of IR. I probably have a total of 100 hrs by now. Never used any slides, just enjoying it!
Exactly! If used with a reasonable mix of content in the first 100 hours or so, no special break-in girations are necessary in my experience. Do avoid leaving the set on CNBC, or other channels with quasi-static images for hours on end. But don't sweat a football game or a Starz logo. Just enjoy, and understand whatever slight IR you might see will vanish with normal use. I have maybe 700 hours on my 55VT50 and used THX Bright Room during break-in with a normal mix of content. I have no sign of IR at all. biggrin.gif
mnc likes this.
post #7130 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked: 11
I went through 3 PN64E8000's that had a very annoying directional buzzing. I now have a 65VT50. On a highly unscientific buzzing scale of 0 to 10 (10 representing the most buzzing), I would put the E8000's I had at 10 and the VT50 I now have at 0.01. That does not include buzzing from the back of the TV because they were all wall mounted and I could not test that even if I wanted to.
post #7131 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cls74 View Post

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't seen it asked as far as I can tell. Might be why it's a dumb question, lol. Plus it will save me some experimental time if useless to try.
But, if I were to try some of the settings posted here and elsewhere. Currently using the c-net settings. Most of these settings are using the custom option. Is there a difference between custom and vivid/cinema/game if all setting values are made the same, or are there certain adjustments greyed out in these other modes? I'm using a Darblet via an hdmi switcher, and would like to keep everything running through it rather than separate hdmi inputs.
Thanks
The various modes seem to have some hidden fixed settings for gamma and other values.
You can easily see in say vivid mode even with the same settings as in cinema mode, vivid looks way brighter and color saturated for example.
Only the custom mode has the pro settings where such settings can be set separately making it the most versatile of the modes. Also only custom mode saves all the settings independently for each input, the other modes are global.
post #7132 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Pointless. That would come down to the skill of the camera man. Not the actual picture of the set.
Not to mention every review written this year says the VT50 is the better overall set.
post #7133 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks Guys! Great Feedback! Can't wait to fire it up tonight! Still waiting for UPS to deliver my mount! It's on a truck for delivery =)
post #7134 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:

It's likely you have hearing loss. If you believe that is absurd, I do not care at all.

We can agree to disagree I guess.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
post #7135 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just watched Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate 3D,this is one of the best 3D movies I have seen on my 65VT50.I recommend it to all martal arts fans and anyone who enjoys 3D content on their VT50.
post #7136 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

The various modes seem to have some hidden fixed settings for gamma and other values.
You can easily see in say vivid mode even with the same settings as in cinema mode, vivid looks way brighter and color saturated for example.
Only the custom mode has the pro settings where such settings can be set separately making it the most versatile of the modes. Also only custom mode saves all the settings independently for each input, the other modes are global.

That's pretty much what I thought but figured it was worth asking. I'm mainly trying to figure out how to get a better 3D setting going. I guess The C-net settings aren't really far off from the THX settings so looks like custom will be the for that.

Anyone know if there is a general consensus on a good 3D setting like there is for normal viewing?
post #7137 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

While I haven't used 3d myself, I've heard some people prefer Game mode for 3d.

post #7138 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Well my EU VT50 is going back and Panasonic is sending a replacement. I had severe banding which was reason enough to replace. They told me it was something in the production proces which caused this issue, getting a replacement could be better but also worse or the same, as all 50 series tv's apparently suffer from this. I do wonder though, are there any users here who have issues with banding (mainly visible at right hand side of the screen). I also noticed line bleed was terrible, as good as all subtitles project a big horizontal white bar next to them in almost all scenes. There is even line bleed from normal tv content, lines coming from faces etcetera. Is this normal on this series or did I just get a tv which has all known errors in them?

The bleeding is not normal. It's good you are getting a replacement.

Michael
post #7139 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Hmm, I think that sort of bleeding might be normal. I do notice bleeding (mainly in tv content) with any type of overlay (subtitles, scoreboard, pause/play overlay,etc.), but it isn't enough to distract me or drive me insane.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #7140 of 13696 Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Hey Guys, I finally got the mount and got my 55VT up on the wall. I was surprised to see the contrast and brightness already below 50 out of the box. I have a September 2012 build -2. So I took the settings down a bit more...they are at +40 for the contrast and brightness. I have it on THX Cinema and figure I will just leave it there for the first 200 hours. I haven't run across where I find the Size 1 and pixel orbiter thing yet, but don't want to leave the menu open to long, so just leaving that stuff alone for now. =) I have to tell you with these out of the box settings, this thing looks fabulous! I look forward to tweaking it and making it look even better. The blacks are really blowing me away. My first plasma, and after one hour of viewing, I really love it. Thanks again for all the info through this thread guys!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page