Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7741 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Carl_Ballard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.
Carl_Ballard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7742 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
audiophiler1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

So I finally pulled the trigger after over 4 years of research of different panels, in store demos, tinkering with picture settings, etc for a 65vt50 at Best Buy. I get it home last night, mount it, turn it on and go through the initial settings and start watching tv (att uverse hd).

4 minutes later...the screen goes blank and I get 7 blinks of the red power light...I search google and it turns out this is a known issue on Panasonic plasmas..some say its a few different boards but I see most point to the SC board needing replacement and a firmware update.

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed that a brand new $3200 television malfunctions after 4 minutes of use. This problem is repeatable. I leave it on for 4 minutes on any input (including a slide show on usb) and the screen blacks out and the red light flashes 7 times over and over.

Has anyone else experienced this as well? I am now second guessing my decision to go with a Panny since I was looking at the $5k Sharp....or should I swap it out for a later mfg date and hope for the best?

The mfg date is July 2012 / model TC-P65vt50 / serial starts with MJ2213XXXX

Any input is appreciated!
audiophiler1 is offline  
post #7743 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Semp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just exchange. You won't have that problem a second time. Don't get the sharp over the vt50. Unless you want the 80 inch for pure size. Other wise there's no comparison. Panasonic is best.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Semp1 is online now  
post #7744 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
liltalkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Coral Springs,FL, USA
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone curious to brightness of the set with a lot of light. Here are some pictures.

It is on THX Bright Room right now.

155jmtw.jpg

14uxkjt.jpg

It is plenty bright. My phone camera does not do it justice.

I should have paused the image before snapping the picture.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
liltalkm is offline  
post #7745 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
thebishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picking up a new VT50 55" on Saturday. Will be installing it over a fireplace using a Sanus VLF 220. Am probably going to go with a soundbar. Any suggestions of which product works well with the VT50? (This is not our primary HT set-up; it's for the Hearth room btw).
TIA.
Bish
thebishman is offline  
post #7746 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
440forpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beautiful home!!! More pics please. Is that the 65? Thanks
440forpower is offline  
post #7747 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
liltalkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Coral Springs,FL, USA
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

Beautiful home!!! More pics please. Is that the 65? Thanks

Thanks and yes it is the 65!

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
liltalkm is offline  
post #7748 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anyone assist me understand exactly what 'noise reduction' settings do on the VT series ? I turn it off for bluray and ON for FTA TV, as suggested in any another thread I came across. What are the drawbacks in turning it on because its hard to tell exactly what the setting is aimed to do, and what issues it introduces.

1000
1000 is offline  
post #7749 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 1,869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noise reduction looks for noise in the picture, usually appearing as random small dots or graniness, and "smooths" it so as to make the noise less apparent. Unless you have a poor input signal and notice a problem, I recommend leaving noise reduction off, as it removes picture information,.

Steve
stevel is offline  
post #7750 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

Picking up a new VT50 55" on Saturday. Will be installing it over a fireplace using a Sanus VLF 220. Am probably going to go with a soundbar. Any suggestions of which product works well with the VT50? (This is not our primary HT set-up; it's for the Hearth room btw).
TIA.
Bish

I've been pleasantly suprised by the performance of the Boston Acosutics TVee 26 soundbar. If you're looking for a good performer and don't want to spend $500 and up this one is a great option, IMO.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #7751 of 13655 Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Yes, they did take care of it, by sending a new tv, which was also defective. Today they are going to pickup the replacement of the replacement and refunding my dealer. So it is hard to pick a new tv, I am inclined to buy another VT50, I mean how many times can I get a defective unit? Regarding the logo, it is a tv channel logo for a Dutch tv channel.

So the logo sits in the middle of the screen like that? I thought we had it bad here in the U.S.... You guys seem to have it worse. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

It is plenty bright. My phone camera does not do it justice.
Yep, it's plenty bright. We are loving football too.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #7752 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Member
 
azurisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So the logo sits in the middle of the screen like that? I thought we had it bad here in the U.S.... You guys seem to have it worse. frown.gif

Yes it is pretty bad with logo's in the Netherlands. Logo's from hell as i call them. Brightest colors and no transparancy or moving logo's.
A few examples frown.gif



azurisk is offline  
post #7753 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 176
How long did that logo sit on the screen before it stuck?

How long after playing other content did you take the photo?

As a hobbiest calibrator, I have to be mindful to not leave the multicolor pattern on the screen while I'm getting setup. It'll do the same thing but does go away in a few minutes.

If my memory serves me (low chance) it seems that my Pioneer plasma did the same with the patterns.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #7754 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Member
 
azurisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

How long did that logo sit on the screen before it stuck?
How long after playing other content did you take the photo?
As a hobbiest calibrator, I have to be mindful to not leave the multicolor pattern on the screen while I'm getting setup. It'll do the same thing but does go away in a few minutes.
If my memory serves me (low chance) it seems that my Pioneer plasma did the same with the patterns.

Maybe 30-45 minutes, photo taken about 10 days after. And I know, if someone told me that happened after just 30-45 minutes I'd say they are ********ting. But I had friends here when it occurred, they noticed it first, I told them no worries it'll be gone in 15 minutes. 2 weeks later it was still there. Panasonic took back the display. I take alot of care to prevent IR/BI. But it should not happen with current gen tv's, Burn-in that is. Unless severely abused.
azurisk is offline  
post #7755 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophiler1 View Post

Hi Everyone,
So I finally pulled the trigger after over 4 years of research of different panels, in store demos, tinkering with picture settings, etc for a 65vt50 at Best Buy. I get it home last night, mount it, turn it on and go through the initial settings and start watching tv (att uverse hd).
4 minutes later...the screen goes blank and I get 7 blinks of the red power light...I search google and it turns out this is a known issue on Panasonic plasmas..some say its a few different boards but I see most point to the SC board needing replacement and a firmware update.
Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed that a brand new $3200 television malfunctions after 4 minutes of use. This problem is repeatable. I leave it on for 4 minutes on any input (including a slide show on usb) and the screen blacks out and the red light flashes 7 times over and over.
Has anyone else experienced this as well? I am now second guessing my decision to go with a Panny since I was looking at the $5k Sharp....or should I swap it out for a later mfg date and hope for the best?
The mfg date is July 2012 / model TC-P65vt50 / serial starts with MJ2213XXXX
Any input is appreciated!

Head over to the Sharp forum, and you'll see this power issue is FAR more common on those than the Panasonics. They are also prone to rebooting themselves.

I would just exchange it.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #7756 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Yes it is pretty bad with logo's in the Netherlands. Logo's from hell as i call them. Brightest colors and no transparancy or moving logo's.
A few examples frown.gif



We have one here in the states called Destination America, which is the worst I have seen...full brightness red, white, and blue.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #7757 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Maybe 30-45 minutes, photo taken about 10 days after. And I know, if someone told me that happened after just 30-45 minutes I'd say they are ********ting. But I had friends here when it occurred, they noticed it first, I told them no worries it'll be gone in 15 minutes. 2 weeks later it was still there. Panasonic took back the display. I take alot of care to prevent IR/BI. But it should not happen with current gen tv's, Burn-in that is. Unless severely abused.

Absolutely, It should not happen. Glad you got it resolved.

Sorry you have such abusive channels. I mean leaving aside the image retention issues (which should be rare on mos sets), I would find those logs annoying enough that I'd probably avoid most of those channels. It would drive me to torrenting, were it not for the fact that the content wouldn't be in Dutch without them, I'd imagine. frown.gif

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #7758 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Member
 
OPTIMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, so I was in the market for a new flat screen for my bedroom and originally had purchased a TC-P50GT50 from a chain store but was alerted to a great online deal on the TC-55VT50. Went to local store and was given the good news that they'd price match the online price of the 55VT50. Ended up swapping my order around and the 55VT50 should be delivered tomorrow! I'm just worried that a 55" might be a little to much for a medium sized bedroom but the deal was just too good to turn down. I did compare them in-store and size wise it didn't look like too much of a difference but styling of the VT just blows the GT out the water in my opinion.

I've never owned a plasma before so any first time owner tips would be greatly appreciated! I have owned quite a few LCD's myself and within the family and these were all pretty much top of the line models at their time. Unfortunately I was never completely satisfied with any of them due to the known issues LCD's have had but stuck with them, due to being an avid gamer and fear of image retention on plasma. Though I was always jealous of my one uncle's Pioneer Elite plasma display picture quality. Anyways I can't wait for tomorrow and thanks for listening I'm feeling like a kid again the night before Christmas! biggrin.gif
OPTIMO is offline  
post #7759 of 13655 Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Congrats on your purchase. 55" is not too big for a medium sized bedroom,, particularly a plasma as in general terms the PQ is superior to LCD up closer to the screen, I just moved my 60" Pioneer into the bedroom, it's bliss !
1000 is offline  
post #7760 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
Elliot Kay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

Just had my replacement TV set up, it has the same problem as my previous one- was wondering if anyone has had this issue- I thought it was panel specific but since I got two in a row I'm now curious. It is probably best described by looking at the pictures below, but where ever there is white text on a colored background, I get dark lines that extend horizontally, at first I only noticed it on moving pictures but now its pretty obvious on moving pictures if you know what you are looking for. It happens on any source including Vierra content (pull up a trailer on Youtube, the Bourne Legacy Trailer 2 is a good example, when the green "PG-13" screen shows up). It seemed to get worse on my first panel, but this new one (whole new set) has it pretty obviously right out of the box.

The repairman saw it before he left and is going to contact Panasonic and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone else has this issue or would mind checking it out, I'd appreciate it.

My previous set also had some pretty bad image retention, from things like Pandora on Vierra- I would not watch it for a couple of days and it would still be easily visible on other content. My first panel also had three bright spots on it, not stuck pixels, they were probably 4 inches in diameter, those are resolved so with the new set- well we will see about the IR.

Thanks for your help,

Elliot


Elliot Kay is offline  
post #7761 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post

Since I don't have an actual Blu-Ray player, I have to rip every disc I buy. I have looked in great detail at 300 or so movies, and not only is there obvious post-processing, but a lot of not-so-obvious. And, I have learned how to apply some post-processing that will increase the compressability by large amounts with little to no visible effect on a moving picture. Why some studios haven't been able to do the same on every title is beyond me.
I have also learned that without control of the mandatory de-blocking in H.264, you can get wildly different pictures from different decoders (or the even the same decoder with different de-blocking parameters). This can be one reason why people with very good displays might have wildly differering reviews of the same Blu-Ray...there is no control over the de-blocking in their hardware player.
It is very, very hard to do anything in real time that works for all different kinds of poor sources, especially when the processor doesn't have access to the raw MPEG data (which helps with motion recognition). A simple temporal smoother costs me 30% of rendering rate on a fast Core i7, but it does give me much better compression (which, for this sort of filter, means that some of the stray pixels that differ from frame to frame are getting fixed, which greatly improves the perceived quality). This sort of filter is very good for below-optimum-bitrate sources.
A GPU-accelerated FFT causes about the same loss of rendering rate but does an even better job at removing noise. But, I doubt that TV manufacturers will be throwing that kind of hardware at the problem, as the fan noise alone would drive many people nuts. Unfortunately, the drop in rendering rate that either of these techniques cause is enough to fall out of real-time.
As for over-compressed video, nothing can truly help it. The techniques above can solve problems with the erroneous high-frequency bits that remain after such a compression, but blocking, smearing, and loss of detail can't really be undone. A "blind" deblocker can do a little, but not enough to really help. Any sharpening without first applying some of the above types of smoothing will just exaggerate the noise without doing much for the rest of the image. With some trial and error based on experience, I can come up with a set of operations that does about as well as you can do, but again this is not something that can just be successfully applied to every source, nor will it run in real time on the sort of hardware available at reasonable prices.

Great info here. Thanks for the the response. I too have a lot of experience encoding and as well even writing my own video processing code.

yes, Thank you for acknowledging the differences in the playback of H.264. I have said a bunch of times it's really what sets the players apart. It's the decoder and post processing, not all players process the bits the same from the disc. It can make a world of a difference. I don't think a lot of people realize how much is really going on in the background. This might scare some of the purists... lol

I agree, there is no one solution that works all the time. If you get a chance to study/play with Samsung's processing implementation it's quite impressive. From their noise detection algorithms (they have automatic modes) to how they apply it is very impressive. They can somehow even smooth out false gradients (like I see from IPTV 16bit video). As well they can even smooth out variances in luminance in the dark areas frames without really hampering the video. As you probably know dark areas really struggle to stay stable with high compression. Lots of noise there...

My opinion differs with yours speaking in terms of high end video processing in a TV or AVR. ASICs can be made to do a lot of what you describe without the need of a an expensive GPU (FPGA/DSP). Which is what I'm pretty sure Samsung uses (an ASIC). They have just been working at it awhile refining it. Once you get your algorithms down getting an ASIC made and mass producing it isn't as bad as you might think if you *REUSE* it in all of your TVs. I work in the R&D/chip design/manufacturing industry so I see the birth of this stuff all the time. The last chip our division made had inside it 2 ARM processors, 6 core programmable DSP, and a crypto ASIC. It's internal cost is not very expensive when viewed in large scale and negligible on a TV which retails for $3700. Our chip goes into devices costing a lot less.

All I was trying to say is processing shouldn't be shunned away from all video sources. For bluray I get not wanting to use it, but on other sources it can actually help. The key here being most people haven't really been exposed to high quality noise reduction or edge enhancements or even basic filtering. Hell if they were inclined they could make a logo removal filter... Shocking this feature hasn't been implemented on a plasma TV yet.

Ironically the easiest sensory input on your body to fool is your eyes... Knowing this there are enhancements which do make the video look better...

-SiGGy
SiGGy is offline  
post #7762 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

This craziness went on last year where the Samsung people claimed "ALL THE TVs HAVE THE PEELING FILTER" when it was merely true that some small number had the peeling filter. You make the huge mistake that many on internet forums make of thinking that you can extrapolate data from the people with problems, who are overwhelmingly like to post often.
I actually thought you should return the TV, not ignore the IR. Maybe that's not an option for you, which I guess is too bad.
I think you should be 100% happy with your TV, and you are not.


This is true, but there's some missing info here. Samsung changed the line in early production to a different filter to fix the issue. This was kinda sad, the *original* real black filter was VERY good (the one that peeled). The one they replaced it with and continue to use to this day isn't quite as effective and has some side effects which didn't exist on the original. Ironically the TVs they show at CES (even in 2012 a year later) use the original real black filter.

Your post is basically spot on though. These forums are frustrating unless you just want to get settings/help or praise your TV. Lots of passionate people who have way too much of an personal attachment to their TVs. It's a pile of plastic/glass and silicon, not a family member. There's not a lot of constructive unbiased info in here to be honest. You have to filter through the posts from resellers, purists, enthusiasts, Panasonic fanboys and then the "I'm (always) right" people. You'll have gone mostly insane by the time you achieve this wink.gif

-SiGGy
SiGGy is offline  
post #7763 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kay View Post

Hello Everyone,
Just had my replacement TV set up, it has the same problem as my previous one- was wondering if anyone has had this issue- I thought it was panel specific but since I got two in a row I'm now curious. It is probably best described by looking at the pictures below, but where ever there is white text on a colored background, I get dark lines that extend horizontally, at first I only noticed it on moving pictures but now its pretty obvious on moving pictures if you know what you are looking for. It happens on any source including Vierra content (pull up a trailer on Youtube, the Bourne Legacy Trailer 2 is a good example, when the green "PG-13" screen shows up). It seemed to get worse on my first panel, but this new one (whole new set) has it pretty obviously right out of the box.
The repairman saw it before he left and is going to contact Panasonic and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone else has this issue or would mind checking it out, I'd appreciate it.
My previous set also had some pretty bad image retention, from things like Pandora on Vierra- I would not watch it for a couple of days and it would still be easily visible on other content. My first panel also had three bright spots on it, not stuck pixels, they were probably 4 inches in diameter, those are resolved so with the new set- well we will see about the IR.

My set does nothing like that at all. I'd say it's out of normal range, with the caveat that pictures sometimes exaggerate effects like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

This is true, but there's some missing info here. Samsung changed the line in early production to a different filter to fix the issue. This was kinda sad, the *original* real black filter was VERY good (the one that peeled). The one they replaced it with and continue to use to this day isn't quite as effective and has some side effects which didn't exist on the original. Ironically the TVs they show at CES (even in 2012 a year later) use the original real black filter.
Your post is basically spot on though. These forums are frustrating unless you just want to get settings/help or praise your TV. Lots of passionate people who have way too much of an personal attachment to their TVs. It's a pile of plastic/glass and silicon, not a family member. There's not a lot of constructive unbiased info in here to be honest. You have to filter through the posts from resellers, purists, enthusiasts, Panasonic fanboys and then the "I'm (always) right" people. You'll have gone mostly insane by the time you achieve this wink.gif

Thanks for your post Siggy.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #7764 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nabsltd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Germantown, MD, USA
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

As well they can even smooth out variances in luminance in the dark areas frames without really hampering the video. As you probably know dark areas really struggle to stay stable with high compression. Lots of noise there...
Again, this is exactly where a temporal smoother shines, and even though it is altering the picture, people don't expect to see changing pixels in steady backgrounds, so it makes it look "right".
Quote:
My opinion differs with yours speaking in terms of high end video processing in a TV or AVR. ASICs can be made to do a lot of what you describe without the need of a an expensive GPU...The last chip our division made had inside it 2 ARM processors, 6 core programmable DSP, and a crypto ASIC.
The GPU I am using has the equivalent of hundreds of cores for this sort of processing, and the FFT is very easy to parallelize, and still it can't keep up with 1080p24 in real time (although it might if I reduced the block size and stride on the FFT, but then the quality drops, which is what a more limited chip would require to even think about being used in a real-time application).

The video card also has 512MB of very fast local RAM, which can be used for caching multiple frames to allow for very complex filters, some that look back at the last 30 frames to make their decisions. With single-cycle functions like pixel value averaging, having that many extra frames doesn't cost much in speed, but it does help avoid some of the ugly results that can come from ignoring frame history.

Remember, too, that today's GPUs really are just billion-transistor ASICs. They don't really cost that much compared to a $2000 TV when you can get a complete video card for $100, but manufacturers want to use the same hardware inside every one of their models if they can, so the $400 TV can't really afford $50 for such a chip. Worse still, the real devices that need such processing (STBs, media players) can't even afford $5 extra. The advantage to putting the processing in the source is that you can have memory settings that allow the right kind of processing based on things like resolution, source (OTA, Internet stream, satellite, etc.), or the exact movie being played (e.g., real-time de-greening of Fellowship of the Ring).
nabsltd is offline  
post #7765 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Member
 
DWBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Grafton, MA
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulled the trigger today on a 65VT50 for the media room in our soon-to-be-finished basement. Bought it direct from Panasonic via Corporate Perks as the price dropped pretty significantly there over the past week. Also purchased some other gear I've had my eye on for a while to complete the system: Oppo BD103 Blu-Ray player, Onkyo TX-NR717 AVR, and Definitive Technology 5.1 speakers. I've been following this thread for a while and have learned a lot. I've got a Sharp LC60E77UN in the family room and considered going with another Sharp or a 65" Samsung 8000 series, but ultimately decided plasma was best for that room. I had actually ordered a Panasonic plasma three years ago, but cancelled the order and went with the Sharp when the Panasonic was back-ordered. Looking forward to getting the TV and getting it set up over the next month.

DWBoston is offline  
post #7766 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a Pioneer LX55 Blu ray player hooked up to my VT50 and few of the player's settings confuse me. Which should I chose from the following (I'm in Australia, PAL region( for the best/optimal picture quality on my VT50 ?

________________

Color space:

- RGB
- YCbCr
- YcbCr 422
- Full RGB

________________

HDMI Deep Color

- off
- 30 bits
- 36 bits
________________

I have no idea what settings to use, but defaults seem to be YcbCr 422 for color space and OFF for HDMI deep color

1000
1000 is offline  
post #7767 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
djPerfectTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clovis, NM
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kay View Post

Hello Everyone,
Just had my replacement TV set up, it has the same problem as my previous one- was wondering if anyone has had this issue- I thought it was panel specific but since I got two in a row I'm now curious. It is probably best described by looking at the pictures below, but where ever there is white text on a colored background, I get dark lines that extend horizontally, at first I only noticed it on moving pictures but now its pretty obvious on moving pictures if you know what you are looking for. It happens on any source including Vierra content (pull up a trailer on Youtube, the Bourne Legacy Trailer 2 is a good example, when the green "PG-13" screen shows up). It seemed to get worse on my first panel, but this new one (whole new set) has it pretty obviously right out of the box.
The repairman saw it before he left and is going to contact Panasonic and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone else has this issue or would mind checking it out, I'd appreciate it.
My previous set also had some pretty bad image retention, from things like Pandora on Vierra- I would not watch it for a couple of days and it would still be easily visible on other content. My first panel also had three bright spots on it, not stuck pixels, they were probably 4 inches in diameter, those are resolved so with the new set- well we will see about the IR.
Thanks for your help,
Elliot

What are your screen settings?

Turn it up!
djPerfectTrip is offline  
post #7768 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lord Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed that when watching certain SD broadcasts, and only when they're in the 4:3 box format, that the top part of my screen has what looks like a white "bleed through" border (for lack of better terminology). In other words, it's like there's light emanating from the top of the picture, and this only occurs on 4:3 SD broadcasts. I can get rid of that by adjusting the picture format (full/just/etc.), but then the guide info and everything else gets cut off (this is on a DirecTV system).
Lord Vader is offline  
post #7769 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
thebishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

I noticed that when watching certain SD broadcasts, and only when they're in the 4:3 box format, that the top part of my screen has what looks like a white "bleed through" border (for lack of better terminology). In other words, it's like there's light emanating from the top of the picture, and this only occurs on 4:3 SD broadcasts. I can get rid of that by adjusting the picture format (full/just/etc.), but then the guide info and everything else gets cut off (this is on a DirecTV system).

I believe that to be a source issue, not a display issue when displaying 4:3 content in 16:9. Meaning it's not your display that's the issue.
Bish
thebishman is offline  
post #7770 of 13655 Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
thebishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just brought home my new 55" VT50 and must admit it's a beautiful tv. Manufactured date of 10/12 and no pixel or banding issues after 6 hours of displaying the break-in slides using 'torch' mode. Can't wait to start displaying some actual content.
Since this will be used in a room with a fair number of windows I expect I'll use the THX day mode as my starting point. Are there actual generic settings out for the VT50 yet? I've always used D-Nice's settings on my two Pioneer Kuros but have yet to see anything posted re: the VT50.
Bish

PS: a big thank you to Ed Hawkins at Kiefs in Lawrence, KS for a great price and his usual excellent service. Anyone local should give Ed a call if in the market.
thebishman is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off