Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 265 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 13782 Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just upgraded to a 65" VT50 from a 58" S1. Amazing TV.

Anyone know how to make the Audio Return Channel feature work with a Denon 1613 so I can use my surround sound with the smart tv features of this set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 13782 Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

Anyone know how to make the Audio Return Channel feature work with a Denon 1613 so I can use my surround sound with the smart tv features of this set?

Google Batpigs Denon guide. He has all the resources you need to get your Denon setup for ARC.

Looky here!
post #7923 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post

Hi All. I have owned a 55VT50 for about 2 weeks and have loved it. There have been a few times that I thought i caught a glimpse of some Rainbow Effect but I dismissed it since I thought that was only DLP. I do know that I am highly suseptible to the Rainbow Effect. I thought i noticed it when the Denon AV Receiver setup screen was on the TV and that was pretty much it. No issue when watching DirecTV. Now, i just watched my first movie using my AppleTV and I saw a bunch of Rainbows. Not as bad as when watching a DLP but still distracting. Am I the only one that sees this? Why would I only see it on one input and not another? Any help would be appreciated.

No, you're not the only one. I sometimes see it on a plasma as well. I use to see it on my Pioneer plasma too.

Two parts to it. Moving your eyes rapidly across the screen with fast motion on the screen which is usually high contrast. Well, make that 3 parts.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7924 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Your receiver would need to support ARC. I tried this through an Oppo BDP-103, which has dual HDMI outputs so the audio feed could go to my HDMI 1.3 A/V receiver. It worked, but when I played a YouTube video through the TV the sound kept dropping out. Not sure if that was a network issue or related to ARC.

The only thing on the TV is to make sure the HDMI feed is connected to HDMI-2, which is labeled for ARC.

Steve
post #7925 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I think he meant pin-striping tape. I've recommended this many times over the years to cover silver trim on various TVs. It's available in 1/8" and 1/4" widths, and comes in black (as well as other colors). I've used it on RC model airplanes as well as cars and other stuff. You can find it at hobby shops as well as auto parts stores.
Randy…. Great feedback …thanks. Based on your previous experiences with using and recommending pin striping for TV bezels, what size do you think would be best to purchase for the VT50? Are there any special techniques as far as applying it to the bezel such as where to start applying the pin stripping first? Several concerns are where the corners meet? How would I get a perfect match at the corners? Also, should I start pressing from the front of the glass and wrap around to the back with one single piece? How does the finished product look in the day light as far as aesthetics? Does it look like a tape job or is it indistinguishable to the human eye and it looks like something from the factory when the TV was purchased? My thoughts are that I would want to make sure that what ever I did was reversible in case I screwed up or didn’t like the way it looked. Would there be residue left on the bezel if I decided to take the tape off because I didn’t like the look of it? Thanks for your help.
post #7926 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

Your receiver would need to support ARC. I tried this through an Oppo BDP-103, which has dual HDMI outputs so the audio feed could go to my HDMI 1.3 A/V receiver. It worked, but when I played a YouTube video through the TV the sound kept dropping out. Not sure if that was a network issue or related to ARC.
The only thing on the TV is to make sure the HDMI feed is connected to HDMI-2, which is labeled for ARC.

Quote:

Make sure you are using High Speed HDMI cable at least 1.4 ( older 1.3 HDMI cables may not support ARC)
Turn on HDMI Control on your Denon 1613 ( This Receiver does support ARC)
As suggested by stevel above, use high speed HDMI cable between VT50 HDMI port 2( ARC) => Denon 1613 HDMI OUT Monitor ARC
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&pid=AVR1613(DenonNA)

LB
post #7927 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit 1 View Post

Randy…. Great feedback …thanks. Based on your previous experiences with using and recommending pin striping for TV bezels, what size do you think would be best to purchase for the VT50? Are there any special techniques as far as applying it to the bezel such as where to start applying the pin stripping first? Several concerns are where the corners meet? How would I get a perfect match at the corners? Also, should I start pressing from the front of the glass and wrap around to the back with one single piece? How does the finished product look in the day light as far as aesthetics? Does it look like a tape job or is it indistinguishable to the human eye and it looks like something from the factory when the TV was purchased? Thanks for your help.

What a great idea! You could call your local car dealer and ask who does their pin striping, I bet for 50 bucks you could have it done professionally. If you want to do it yourself just overlap the corners and cut it diagonally where you want the seams then there is no need to line up or trying to match the corners. When I worked in a dealership the striper did our salesman tally board. Always looked great and they buy stripes in bulk so it was pretty inexpensive.
post #7928 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone61554 View Post

What a great idea! You could call your local car dealer and ask who does their pin striping, I bet for 50 bucks you could have it done professionally. If you want to do it yourself just overlap the corners and cut it diagonally where you want the seams then there is no need to line up or trying to match the corners. When I worked in a dealership the striper did our salesman tally board. Always looked great and they buy stripes in bulk so it was pretty inexpensive.

Great idea - I agree - I did a quick google search and pinstripes are availble easily: http://www.stripeman.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Graphics&Product_Code=01045-Pin-Stripe-pinstripe-Tape-Vinyl&Category_Code=Pin-Stripe+Rolls

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #7929 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone61554 View Post

Bigbone…. Thanks for the help. Good ideas for sure. As far as color goes, I’m not sure, but I think a piano black finish on the pin striping tape might be the best match to go with color wise for the VT50. It will sit right next to the black glossy screen edges of the TVs front glass panel. Any thoughts before I purchase the pin striping? Also, any other members tried the pin striping yet on the VT50? How did it come out? Any pics? Thanks.
post #7930 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Well, just got off the phone with the seller. Asked to speak to the manager, who said we can swap out stands without having to return the entire TV. Problem solved! Thanks for your input.

and now for the words made famous by Professor Farnsworth: "GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY !!!"

Seriously though. Glad to hear it all worked out.
post #7931 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It doesn't have to be complicated. Set it up, connect it, turn it on, set it on THX Bright Room. Enjoy. :-)

OK Robnix, I now understand image retention, dead pixels, but reading about burn in, and burn in with with slides? is all this necessary, It would seem so from what I have read. Not disagreeing with you, but all the comments here are pretty convincing that it is not plug "n" play.
I get touching up the manufacturers settings. Also I am dissapointed about the problems people are have with their wi-fi internet use. Perhaps they have not set it up correct...

Gary
post #7932 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post

OK Robnix, I now understand image retention, dead pixels, but reading about burn in, and burn in with with slides? is all this necessary, It would seem so from what I have read. Not disagreeing with you, but all the comments here are pretty convincing that it is not plug "n" play.
I get touching up the manufacturers settings. Also I am dissapointed about the problems people are have with their wi-fi internet use. Perhaps they have not set it up correct...
Gary

There are several of us in this thread that have done exactly what I did. Unbox the TV, set it up, and started watching. Granted I checked it over for flaws, but once that was done I just started using it like I normally would.
There are plenty of posts in this thread and others stating that slides do nothing for IR or Burn in, they're simply to give the pixels an even start on aging for calibration.

Looky here!
post #7933 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

There are several of us in this thread that have done exactly what I did. Unbox the TV, set it up, and started watching. Granted I checked it over for flaws, but once that was done I just started using it like I normally would.
There are plenty of posts in this thread and others stating that slides do nothing for IR or Burn in, they're simply to give the pixels an even start on aging for calibration.

Or one has it is delivered, unboxed, and tested. That was my situation and initially I thought that there was a ghosting problem in 3D, but that just appears on some 3D BRs. Panasonic repair showed up and changed out the video board that yielded no difference. Hence, it was on the3D BRs Prior to calibration and running in THX Cinema mode, it sure looked really good, but looked better with a professional calibration and the Darbee in line. I must be one of the lucky ones.
post #7934 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit 1 View Post

Randy…. Great feedback …thanks. Based on your previous experiences with using and recommending pin striping for TV bezels, what size do you think would be best to purchase for the VT50? Are there any special techniques as far as applying it to the bezel such as where to start applying the pin stripping first? Several concerns are where the corners meet? How would I get a perfect match at the corners? Also, should I start pressing from the front of the glass and wrap around to the back with one single piece? How does the finished product look in the day light as far as aesthetics? Does it look like a tape job or is it indistinguishable to the human eye and it looks like something from the factory when the TV was purchased? My thoughts are that I would want to make sure that what ever I did was reversible in case I screwed up or didn’t like the way it looked. Would there be residue left on the bezel if I decided to take the tape off because I didn’t like the look of it? Thanks for your help.

Definitely let us know how it turns out and take some pics smile.gif. I just got my 65VT50 and sometimes the bezel doesn't bug me but if we have some overhead lights on it is horrendous. It has a major glare and is almost blinding....very distracting. No offense but the design engineers at Panasonic that were in charge of designing the frame were pretty dumb..
post #7935 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding slides - they do serve one useful function even if you don't believe in using them for burn-in. Play the red, green and blue slides and carefully check for dead pixels. They may not be as easy to spot with normal program material. This is how I found the dead green pixel on my first set. In fact, I would have these ready to play when the set gets delivered - doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to go through.

Steve
post #7936 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

In my case I mostly view Blu Ray movies, so when ever I pause the movie and leave my man cave to do whatever for say 10 minutes or so I use the sweep. I use a Oppo BD player and the Oppo logo leaves IR on my screen, so by doing this simple thing I rid my VT50 of the Oppo's IR. wink.gif
Ideally I run the sweep before (45 minutes and then a full field movie for about 30 minutes or more) and after (15 minutes) I do a full ISF 3D LUT 125 point cube CMS and a 21 point gray scale calibration on my VT50.
ss
Have you tried the Oppo screen saver? The Oppo logo travels around the screen. It should eliminate the IR.

Clark
post #7937 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Have you tried the Oppo screen saver? The Oppo logo travels around the screen. It should eliminate the IR.

Thanks for the thought, but the one problem is that the Oppo screen saver doesn't come on right away.

The Oppo logo (ghosting) can only be seen in light colored sky blue scenes, when a 125 point CMS calibration has been done. Its almost like the Oppo logo is in-bedded into the signal when a source disc is in use, so I don't know what to call it.

Actually IR is of very little concern for me and my VT50, the only problem I have had with IR is when I was using my Oppo and AVSHD disc color pattern windows. Doing a "normal" ISF calibration manually.
I am not saying there is any problem with AVSHD calibration Disc, because there is not.

ss
post #7938 of 13782 Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Or one has it is delivered, unboxed, and tested. That was my situation and initially I thought that there was a ghosting problem in 3D, but that just appears on some 3D BRs. Panasonic repair showed up and changed out the video board that yielded no difference. Hence, it was on the3D BRs Prior to calibration and running in THX Cinema mode, it sure looked really good, but looked better with a professional calibration and the Darbee in line. I must be one of the lucky ones.

Perhaps you or others maybe able to help me. Does it make sense to get an ISF certified technician to calibrate a brand new, just-out-of-the-box tc-p55vt50? Or should one wait unit the proverbial 100+hours break-in period has been reached? Thanks.
post #7939 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

I hope your calibrator took your darbee out of the chain when he calibrated your system. The problem with the darbee is that it messes up your VT50's Chroma and Luma, if you have a Spears and Munsil calibration disc run it and you will see what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para-Neophyte View Post

Perhaps you or others maybe able to help me. Does it make sense to get an ISF certified technician to calibrate a brand new, just-out-of-the-box tc-p55vt50? Or should one wait unit the proverbial 100+hours break-in period has been reached? Thanks.

You are best to wait about 300 hours (or more) before a ISF/THX calibration. Of-course that is saying that the calibrator can really get you settings spot on to the way you like it.
Unfortunately like with most if not all commercial TV's there are trade offs when calibrating, so Pro calibrators tend to do more of a generalized calibration to get the TV reasonably in spec.

ss
post #7940 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by para-Neophyte View Post

You should wait at least that 100 hours. As to ISF certified technician, you have lots of time to find one.
post #7941 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 689
^^^ + 1 on that. Wait at least 100 hours........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Randall View Post

I had to refuse an open-box 55VT50 from an Amazon affiliate, quite a bit louder than I was expecting. Is this buzzing normal?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z03jyh3pkw0nlj/2012-11-28%2016.09.44.mp4
Did you get a picture on the screen? Sounds like that unit is cracked.........
post #7942 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM

will only the TY-CC20W camera work with the Skype function on this TV?
post #7943 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

The Oppo logo (ghosting) can only be seen in light colored sky blue scenes, when a 125 point CMS calibration has been done. Its almost like the Oppo logo is in-bedded into the signal when a source disc is in use, so I don't know what to call it.

Can you elaborate on that ? What do you mean by "source disc" ? Are you saying there is an Oppo watermark ON TOP of the Blu-Ray image that is being played ?

Thanks.

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #7944 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Can you elaborate on that ? What do you mean by "source disc" ? Are you saying there is an Oppo watermark ON TOP of the Blu-Ray image that is being played ?
Thanks.
- M

imo Because of the added depth/shades in color that a 3D LUT cube 125 total point bring to a calibration, I can pickup on Oppo's logo when playing a movie and there is a light colored sky blue. This shade of blue in a normal 1D 6 point CSM calibration was not there. Also I think I would have to take into consideration my use of the 3D Mini and what it brings to the table.

Source disc is the Blu Ray (or whatever disc) you are playing.

No I am not saying Oppo has any watermark in-bedded into the signal. As I said "ghosting" when the scene has a "light colored sky blue".
In conclusion there are many different factors that could be contributing to this "ghosting" effect. My point is don't jump to conclusion (this is not directed at you) when anybody sees something that is not 100% right and think it must be the TV,source player or whatever that is causing the perceived problem.

ss
post #7945 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

So I have been watching my 65VT50 for a couple of days now since I finished the slides and I have a couple of comments. I know others have asked about buzzing and some say that you shouldn't hear any buzzing from farther then a few feet but I sit about 10 feet from the TV and can hear buzzing when the screen goes to a mostly white picture. Both my Pioneer 5020 and KRP-500M did the same thing and I would say the buzzing is pretty consistent with those two displays. I tend to think the buzzing in this situation is normal and those people out there saying it shouldn't buzz need to get their ears checked or maybe they have more background noise that is drowning the buzzing out. I suppose room acoustics could also affect this but I have carpeted floors and a regularly furnished bonus room that shouldn't be making the buzzing more pronounced.

Secondly, and to the more concerning and noticeable noise with the TV is the FANS. I am surprised at how much you can hear the fans. It doesn't sound abnormal or high pitched or anything. It just sounds like some computer fans or something. If the TV isn't up super loud (baby in other room) you can definitely hear the fans. They are noticeable during standard viewing and normal volume levels. Do they really need the fans on all the time? I'm pretty sure my Kuros' fans never turned on. Currently, I have the TV sitting about a foot from the wall but I plan on wall mounting the TV this week so I am curious to see if the fan noise gets worse, better, or stays about the same once it is on the wall. I also usually use a 5.1 system for all content watching (even TV shows) but am currently using the TV speakers because I don't have room for my center channel speaker until I mount the TV on the wall. I will have to see if using the surround sound helps drown out the fan noise.

The fan noise is definitely louder then the buzzing usually is and honestly it is pretty annoying. I know some of you are going to say that it must be defective but I really don't think it is defective. The fans don't sound defective. They sound like fans moving air...

Anyone else notice the fan noise? Do you have it on the wall or stand mounted?
post #7946 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
^^^ yes I had a 65vt50 and in the evening could hear the fans from 15' away (as far as I can get from the tv and still be in the room) above tv volume. I also had it on a stand and my room is carpeted with lots of furniture. If the tv buzzed, I could not hear it above the fan noise.

I had a tech came out and he said it was normal. The tv was actually quieter when the back panel was removed.
post #7947 of 13782 Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

^^^ yes I had a 65vt50 and in the evening could hear the fans from 15' away (as far as I can get from the tv and still be in the room) above tv volume. I also had it on a stand and my room is carpeted with lots of furniture. If the tv buzzed, I could not hear it above the fan noise.
I had a tech came out and he said it was normal. The tv was actually quieter when the back panel was removed.

Do you still have the TV? You said you "had" a 65VT50.
post #7948 of 13782 Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 AM

Liked: 13
I have owned my Toshiba HD-AX2 HD-DVD player for several years, but had only used it on 1080i/720p sets until I got my 55VT50. I had always heard that the Matrix Trilogy box set on HD-DVD was a very nice transfer to view in 1080p glory. I ordered a lightly used Ultimate Matrix box set off Ebay and it came in yest.

I couldn't wait to start viewing the first Matrix volume, having just watched my BluRay anniversary version a few weeks earlier. All I can say is WOW - they were not kidding about a great transfer... the HD-DVD blew away the BluRay by bounds!!! What really had me giggling was the audio quality of the HD-DVD... even listening with the AX2 setup for 2.0 stereo and simulated surround on the VT50 - there were nuances and subtle little things that I had never heard on my BluRay version, and I have watched this trilogy on DVD and BluRay at least 50+ times since the movie has been released.

Do yourself a favor and scrounge Ebay for a decent HD-AX2 and order ya some titles that are reviewed highly as HD-DVD transfers - you will be very pleased and probably ask yourself like I do... why did HD-DVD have to die!!!

Nate
post #7949 of 13782 Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamadawg_63 View Post

I have owned my Toshiba HD-AX2 HD-DVD player for several years, but had only used it on 1080i/720p sets until I got my 55VT50. I had always heard that the Matrix Trilogy box set on HD-DVD was a very nice transfer to view in 1080p glory. I ordered a lightly used Ultimate Matrix box set off Ebay and it came in yest.
I couldn't wait to start viewing the first Matrix volume, having just watched my BluRay anniversary version a few weeks earlier. All I can say is WOW - they were not kidding about a great transfer... the HD-DVD blew away the BluRay by bounds!!! What really had me giggling was the audio quality of the HD-DVD... even listening with the AX2 setup for 2.0 stereo and simulated surround on the VT50 - there were nuances and subtle little things that I had never heard on my BluRay version, and I have watched this trilogy on DVD and BluRay at least 50+ times since the movie has been released.
Do yourself a favor and scrounge Ebay for a decent HD-AX2 and order ya some titles that are reviewed highly as HD-DVD transfers - you will be very pleased and probably ask yourself like I do... why did HD-DVD have to die!!!
Nate

Interesting, because the Blu-ray uses the same VC-1 encode that the HD-DVD used. Did you actually compare the two after getting the HD-DVD set? Could it just be the new TV?

Looky here!
post #7950 of 13782 Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I cannot hear my VT50's fans unless I put my ear up to the back panel. Mine is sitting on a stand, not wall-mounted. (It occurs to me that wall-mounting could exaggerate the sounds.)

As for buzzing, I can hear it on a full-screen white, but only if there is no other sound in the room and I am right next to the TV. If the picture level is not 100%, the buzzing disappears. If I am actually watching TV (with sound), rather than playing test patterns with the speakers off, I hear no sounds from the TV itself.

Steve
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page