post #8011 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayson View Post

Not a very helpful response, but good to know... I've searched through the thread and there's plenty of arguing and not so much concluding. I'm looking for someone who's more familiar with this 5 month old, 260+ page thread to offer some insight.

I was not trying to be coy here, and I've been on this thread for months looking at the same information. There is a lot to digest, and there are a few that will give you some very good information if you are willing to do the work. You are not going to find a definitive, clear answer to your question as there seem to be conflicting experiences with Burn-in and IR. From what I've gathered, the VT50 does seem to have IR potential, but if set up correctly (in non-suntan producing mode) and a broken in for 100 to 200 hours the IR is minimal and most don't have an issue. Gaming certainly adds a higher level of potential IR, and hopefully you will get a response more specific to that soon.

Steve

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm304 View Post

Anyone watch Dark Night Rises yet on their VT50? Thoughts?

Watched it on my 55vt50 looked amazing! Speacially the IMAX scenes. I'm currently using wilkers settings.
post #8013 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Anyone watch Dark Night Rises yet on their VT50? Thoughts?

I have watched it on mine and it is wonderful, it's a dark film obviously and highlights everything that the VT50 does exceptionally well. Mind you, I haven't ISF calibrated yet I just eye-balled it. Using the CINEMA setting with slightly higher gamma, a tiny brightness bump and the colour turned down 20% from default.
post #8014 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Trying to decide if I should get a 65VT50 on this week.

I guess my major concern is IR which is an inconclusive issue based on this thread..

Usage:
Gaming 60%
Movies 30%
TV 10%

Based on that I think I MIGHT be better served with an LCD and suffer the minor picture quality difference... Problem is even if I go that route I have NO idea what sets to even consider.

eek.gif
post #8015 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLV View Post

Need some help and advice here guys.
Here's the deal: I want the VT50 in 65 inches. Amazon has it for $2599.
I would prefer to buy local, B and M. Best Buy has it, but the lowest they will go is $3000. Plus add another $230 in sales tax.
Best Buy is telling me Amazon is not an "authorized VT dealer".
Do I care? What does this really mean. I looked at the Panasonic website and all it talks about is the "expertise" and "product knowledge" an authorized dealer has. I don't need that, since I have AVS and researched all the options myself.
Then the BB guy told me I was probably getting a "grey market" TV from Amazon since "I can't even get them for that price".
Any help on this?
Thanks!
Steve V

Amazon IS an authorized dealer according to this: http://www.panasonic.com/about/view-all-home-authorized-retailers.asp

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #8016 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

Are you really supposed to tip these delivery guys? Maybe I'm a tightwad but I've never tipped for a mattress delivery, TV delivery, etc. Best Buy is delivering my 65VT50 on Saturday and I'm wondering if I should consider tipping. I don't really want them to do anything except bring it in the door, set it down, let me inspect it and power it on, then sign and leave.
For my old 200 pound HDTV where the delivery guys put it in place on my enterainment stand, I tipped them $40 (which was worth more in 2002 when I bought it than it would be now).

For my VT50, they just put the box on the floor, opened it up, and plugged it in for inspection. I can move the 55" VT50 by myself, so they weren't working particularly hard, and they didn't get a tip.
post #8017 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I would prefer to buy local, B and M. Best Buy has it, but the lowest they will go is $3000. Plus add another $230 in sales tax.
Do I care? What does this really mean. I looked at the Panasonic website and all it talks about is the "expertise" and "product knowledge" an authorized dealer has. I don't need that, since I have AVS and researched all the options myself.
Then the BB guy told me I was probably getting a "grey market" TV from Amazon since "I can't even get them for that price".
Any help on this?
Thanks!
Steve V
I believe the price you mentioned is not from Amazon but from a third party seller on their site. Their sale price is a few hundred higher. If they offer to sell for what you said was their bottom price you may want to take it.

Clark
post #8018 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Any help on this?
Thanks!
Steve V

Like someone else said, $3268 is amazon's price. So if you want to buy B&M, and BB said $3k before tax, that's lower than amazon's price, and you should jump on it. Not to mention their protection plan covers burn in, unlike Amazon's third party warranty. Also, unlike amazon's TP warranty, BB warranty isn't for the "value" of the TV, it's for the term of the agreement. That is, if you keep having to get it repaired, they'll keep repairing it. For amazon's TP, you'll get repairs up the the cost of the TV. Sounds like a solid deal to me.
post #8019 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Amazon IS an authorized dealer according to this: http://www.panasonic.com/about/view-all-home-authorized-retailers.asp

+1 ( thanks for the reference)

LB
post #8020 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
In order to take advantage of Image Calibration Customized to Your Home ISFccc Calibration Mode with Advanced Calibration on the VT50, must I buy some additional software/hardware?

post #8021 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss10zidane View Post

Watched it on my 55vt50 looked amazing! Speacially the IMAX scenes. I'm currently using wilkers settings.

Who is Wilker and where are his settings? lol

THX modes looks pretty good to me so far but I am concerned about using it because it disables the orbiter. I have tried CNET's settings but honestly they are a little bright. I'm wanting to try out some different settings since it looks like D-Nice isn't going to post his settings frown.gif
post #8022 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadcorp View Post

In order to take advantage of Image Calibration Customized to Your Home ISFccc Calibration Mode with Advanced Calibration on the VT50, must I buy some additional software/hardware?

Head on over to the Calibration forums, all your answers are there.

Looky here!
post #8023 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Any help on this?
Thanks!
Steve V

Head over to the "good deals on plasmas" section. There is an entire thread about good deals on VT 50's.

A lot of people(myself included) have purchased this TV from BB for $2599. Lots of helpful hints there on how to accomplish this in that thread..
post #8024 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

Head over to the "good deals on plasmas" section. There is an entire thread about good deals on VT 50's.
A lot of people(myself included) have purchased this TV from BB for $2599. Lots of helpful hints there on how to accomplish this in that thread..

I was just over there and went to the site with the $2599 price. I may head over to bb this week for a match.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #8025 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I was not trying to be coy here, and I've been on this thread for months looking at the same information. There is a lot to digest, and there are a few that will give you some very good information if you are willing to do the work. You are not going to find a definitive, clear answer to your question as there seem to be conflicting experiences with Burn-in and IR. From what I've gathered, the VT50 does seem to have IR potential, but if set up correctly (in non-suntan producing mode) and a broken in for 100 to 200 hours the IR is minimal and most don't have an issue. Gaming certainly adds a higher level of potential IR, and hopefully you will get a response more specific to that soon.
Steve

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
post #8026 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBoston View Post

The problem with this is that there are no delivery terms available from Panasonic, and there is conflicting information from Panasonic, NVC, and the third-party delivery company. Panasonic says you can absolutely inspect the TV before accepting the delivery. NVC says their contract with the delivery company says the delivery must be signed for before the box is opened. Seems to be a disconnect there. As of this morning, I'm still being told by the third-party delivery firm that I can't inspect the TV before signing for it. I'll make one more call to Panasonic, then cancel the order if they can't get this rectified. I'm not taking a $3K TV sight unseen.

Sounds like they've already dropped it and want to get off the hook for the damage.

Good thing you didn't accept it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #8027 of 13655 Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

I think there are no ISF modes or pro modes on the ST50. So only a 2 point WB to make adjustments. Thing is I can afford either a VT50 or a ST50 + Lumagen radiance mini. Hard choice as I have no experience with lumagen products. I do have the means to do a cube calibration myself though.

Ok, in my case the only reason why I got the Mini 3D was to be able to do a 3D LUT cube calibration and to have a pattern generator, all in one.

So yes, if you are very interested in the hobby of TV calibration and are willing to spend the time to figure out what works for you and your display for the right calibration, then I say go for it. Also you probably will need two meters, something like a i1 Display Pro ome and a i1 pro 2 for profiling using your display that you are calibrating.

Don't think that just because the calibration software you are using has a Auto mode that its going to do everything for you to get the best calibration for your display, because it is not.

ss
post #8028 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Thanks for the reference.
post #8029 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 AM

I have my P65VT50 om top of a cabinet using the standard pedestal. The cabinet has an open 3 shelf center section - shelves just fit standard component width - may 18" wide. I want to add either a 5.1 speaker set-up (preferred) or a sound bar. The problem is there isn't a lot of room between the cabinet top and the screen to fit a center speaker or bar, especially as it would obscure the IR and C.A.T.S sensors.

My options seem to be:

a small center speaker in the cabinet,
a low center speaker in front of the TV
a low sound bar also in front of the TV.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and what set up have you used?
post #8030 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Sounds like they've already dropped it and want to get off the hook for the damage.
Good thing you didn't accept it.

I spoke with Panasonic and NVC yesterday. Panasonic confirmed that I will be allowed to inspect the TV for physical damage before signing for it. NVC confirmed the delivery guys will wait for 5 minutes while I do that. Panasonic also said if the TV doesn't work, even after accepting it and signing for it, they'll ship a replacement. They're re-delivering it on Wednesday.

I asked Panasonic about the lack of shipping options (I would have paid more for white glove delivery) or shipping terms. They said they don't offer white glove service anymore because there were a lot of problems with it, and that customers have been frustrated with the change. I politely pointed out the inconsistency of their policy of allowing you to inspect the TV and their contract with NVC and what NVC tells its delivery companies. It makes no sense - what company would expect a customer to blindly accept an expensive TV without the chance to check it out and make sure it's undamaged? I'll see what happens on Wednesday. If there's so much as a tiny scratch on the TV anywhere, it's going back and I'll cancel it and find one locally, or move to another brand entirely.

post #8031 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post

For my old 200 pound HDTV where the delivery guys put it in place on my enterainment stand, I tipped them $40 (which was worth more in 2002 when I bought it than it would be now).
For my VT50, they just put the box on the floor, opened it up, and plugged it in for inspection. I can move the 55" VT50 by myself, so they weren't working particularly hard, and they didn't get a tip.

I really don't want the delivery guys handling my TV any more than they have to. I'm really picky about my stuff, so I plan on setting everything up and moving it into place myself (with my wife's help when needed).
post #8032 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewXUK View Post

My options seem to be:

I have a center speaker in the cabinet. My cabinet has grille fronts and I have tilted the speaker up slightly. It works very well for me. The speaker I use is no longer made, but there are lots of "low and wide" center speakers available from various manufacturers. Ideally you'd want one in the same line as your left-right speakers.

Steve
post #8033 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

THX modes looks pretty good to me so far but I am concerned about using it because it disables the orbiter.

The Pixel Orbiter is practically useless as it only blurs the absolute edges of any offending logo, leaving the vast majority if it up on the screen anyway. It really doesn't do anything to prevent or even reduce temporary IR and i just leave it off at all times.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8034 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 12
I have a big center channel speaker and built a shelf that sits on top of my TV.

Not ideal in that my left and right speakers are a good deal lower, but this arrangement gets the job done.
post #8035 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlydismayed View Post

Lol you are going to spend $3K on a TV to play video games on???

What's different about interacting and playing games vs just sitting there watching TV or sports etc? At least there is some interaction and thinking involved....

Not really a kid and absolutely did not grow up with money. I do pretty well financially now and I enjoy playing games when I can't be outside or just to unwind, same as someone sitting and watching TV. In-fact I have not even had cable in about 5 years, just internet.

I don't understand why there is such an animosity or disdain for playing video games from some people when watching movies or TV is perfectly acceptable??
post #8036 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewXUK View Post

I have my P65VT50 om top of a cabinet using the standard pedestal. The cabinet has an open 3 shelf center section - shelves just fit standard component width - may 18" wide. I want to add either a 5.1 speaker set-up (preferred) or a sound bar. The problem is there isn't a lot of room between the cabinet top and the screen to fit a center speaker or bar, especially as it would obscure the IR and C.A.T.S sensors.
My options seem to be:

I have purchased the following which has been incredible for me...

http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-6824-salamander-designs-synergy-pm300xlk-expansion-kit-increases-max-mounting-screw-spacing-to-38-w-and-2125-h.aspx

I could not wall mount my 55vt50 due to the fact that I live in an apartment. Also, the walls just weren't suitable for hanging this size TV. I then ran into the same problem regarding the position of my center speaker. I ended up getting the salamander mounting kit I listed. This allowed me to lift the TV up for better viewing as well as fit a nice Polk Audio center speaker on my TV stand which remains under the TV. It was a sizable investment, but it looks great and doesn't damage your walls.
post #8037 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, looking at maybe snagging a 65vt50. Can any gamers tell me how the lag is on the vt50? Also what is the best wall mount for this set? Any pics of a wall mounted vt50? Thanks
post #8038 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

Hello, looking at maybe snagging a 65vt50. Can any gamers tell me how the lag is on the vt50? Also what is the best wall mount for this set? Any pics of a wall mounted vt50? Thanks
I have my xbox 360 through my receiver to the 55vt50. Both tv and receiver are in game mode and I experience no lag
post #8039 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I have purchased the following which has been incredible for me...
http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-6824-salamander-designs-synergy-pm300xlk-expansion-kit-increases-max-mounting-screw-spacing-to-38-w-and-2125-h.aspx
I could not wall mount my 55vt50 due to the fact that I live in an apartment. Also, the walls just weren't suitable for hanging this size TV. I then ran into the same problem regarding the position of my center speaker. I ended up getting the salamander mounting kit I listed. This allowed me to lift the TV up for better viewing as well as fit a nice Polk Audio center speaker on my TV stand which remains under the TV. It was a sizable investment, but it looks great and doesn't damage your walls.

Given the price of that unit, it would have been less costly to buy a shelving system with three levels in which one can lower or raise the display and easily fit the center speaker below the display as well as storing most HT components such as AVR, cable box,and BR player.
post #8040 of 13655 Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Given the price of that unit, it would have been less costly to buy a shelving system with three levels in which one can lower or raise the display and easily fit the center speaker below the display as well as storing most HT components such as AVR, cable box,and BR player.

Tell my wife that. There is a consensus here that wives pick the worst pieces of furniture with respect to HT setup. biggrin.gif I had purchased the TV after we had all the furniture and moved in. But I if you don't already own a nice TV stand, I would do as you recommend and purchase a new unit that fits everything.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page