Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8191 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well after months and months of research and waiting for the price to go down, and years and years of waiting for Panasonic to get some of their plasma issues fixed, I recently finally pulled the trigger and bought a 65VT50. It is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday. I make no money whatsoever (barely above minimum wage) but I made sure I was going to get this tv this year. I had to choose between buying a car and buying this tv at the end of this year....and guess which one won out? biggrin.gif

This is my first ever plasma, and my first 1080p HD tv. I am updating from a 10 year old Sony widescreen CRT. The funny thing is that even though the VT50 is nearly twice as large, it only weighs about half as much as the old Sony! Does anyone have any advice on what the heck I should do with my old tv? I have had it listed on craiglist for over a month, with no responses - which is what I figured would happen. I really would like this thing gone by the time the VT50 gets delivered on Tuesday. BB is delivering my new tv - does anyone know if they would take my old 205-pound Sony off my hands? Or maybe Goodwill or anywhere else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

In my journey to the 65VT50, I tried a 60" ES6100. It was literally a joke, as you said. I have one of the first Samsung LED TVs that came out back in 09, and it blows the newer models away. You can tell it's simply a matter of Samsung using lower and lower quality components as time goes on. Every bit of it was made of the cheapest materials possible, and the stand couldn't even support the TV properly and it leaned backward. Don't get me started on the picture quality or panel uniformity.
Watching The Dark Knight Rises tonight. Can't wait. I've been running slides for three days, so it's time to give those a little break!

You sure are right about the LED back-lit sets. I remember when the first couple came out, I think the LG LH90 and Samsung B8500 series. I went and saw these things on display and was incredibly impressed, thinking I knew why Pioneer exited the business.

You'd think almost 4 years later these LED sets would have been surpassed, but really the only ones that have are the ridiculously expensive Sharp Elite and Sony Flagship 900 models. Those early models had local dimming but now it's all edge-lit and thinness, and it really is a shame. Hmm that sounds familiar...over 4 years later and plasmas are not just approaching the Kuro Elites.

post #8193 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowbizPizza View Post

Well after months and months of research and waiting for the price to go down, and years and years of waiting for Panasonic to get some of their plasma issues fixed, I recently finally pulled the trigger and bought a 65VT50. It is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday. I make no money whatsoever (barely above minimum wage) but I made sure I was going to get this tv this year. I had to choose between buying a car and buying this tv at the end of this year....and guess which one won out? biggrin.gif
This is my first ever plasma, and my first 1080p HD tv. I am updating from a 10 year old Sony widescreen CRT. The funny thing is that even though the VT50 is nearly twice as large, it only weighs about half as much as the old Sony! Does anyone have any advice on what the heck I should do with my old tv? I have had it listed on craiglist for over a month, with no responses - which is what I figured would happen. I really would like this thing gone by the time the VT50 gets delivered on Tuesday. BB is delivering my new tv - does anyone know if they would take my old 205-pound Sony off my hands? Or maybe Goodwill or anywhere else?

I would check with Best Buy before delivery. I'm pretty sure as long as you notify them beforehand, they will remove an old set with delivery of new one for free. Check it out here.

post #8194 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Hi Steve, you are right....putting it on zoom format fills the screen. All pixles firing. However, when I put it on full (the format that looks natural to me) the vertical sliver down the right side is there. It will turn the same color is the lighter hues but stay gray when harder colors like red are displayed. (I edited my post above to reflect this).
May be your cable, dish, directv, or U-verse box needs adjusted to your new set. Check your settings on your receiver from your provider of choice........
post #8195 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Yes the 125 point calibration was why I thought it might surpass the VT50.

I don't know much about the ST50 other than what we all have read, nor have I used a ST50 for a 3D LUT cube total 125 point calibration. However I have done this type of calibration on my VT50 and the results are the best I have ever seen (if done right).. I have some calibration reports posted using the 3D LUT cube calibration and a 21 point graysacle for my VT50, The key for this type of calibration is having something like the lumagen radiance or ee color cube, that store these very detailed settings.

I would think this type of calibration would be very good for the ST50 and I have suggested that in the past. Will it come out as close on a ST50 as a VT50, that I don't know, it really depends on the controls that the ST has and if the ST has ISF modes, if not it will still come out better than a normal ISF/THX type of calibration done by a pro.

However beware, this type of calibration on a ST/GT/VT50 needs some very good setup done before the full calibration is run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

I would really like to see the results of this! I have only done 5x5x5 cube calibrations on projectors so far.

See my reports for a 3D LUT cube total 125 points.
You also may want to look into a 16X16X16 cube calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I don't see how that is possible. An input signal is an input signal, regarding of what is upstream. I would think to bypass internal processing you would have to be able to "turn it off" on the panel itself. Would love to hear from the experts though.

If you want to do a 3D LUT calibration without any upstream processing, then I would suggest getting a ee color cube, if supported by the calibration software. However a lumagen radiance is a very good processor/scalor and does a very nice job with the 3D cube 125 point 5x5x5 calibration.

Also for you darbee fans,imo the lumagen radiance will do what the darbee does for detail and coupled with this type of calibration will give you a lot of depth and detail, without messing up your Chroma or Luma and also give you better background detail.

ss
Monday morning UMR had some good things to say about the ST50 models when he was doing our audio. smile.gif
post #8196 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Liked: 10
Just got the 55VT50, for $1650, and the picture is not crisp (just a tad blurry). I had a Samsung 6000 series LED before hooked up to the same box and picture was very good and crisp. Do I have to adjust anything to get the picture pristine like everyone else in this thread? I have my set top box set to it's highest setting (1080i Fios)
post #8197 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

You should check the settings for resolution and how the image is expanded. There should not be any unused pixels with a regular HD picture.
Although there aren't any unused pixels when set to "Size 2", there is a tiny (about 1/16") strip of black around all 4 sides of the panel (at least on my 55").

So, from outside to in:
- sliver trim
- black trim
- 1/16" wide black unused area of panel
- picture area

I noticed this when trying to adjust the image size being sent from one source, and found that it is always there, even when using the internal tuner or Internet. It's probably not what the OP was seeing, though. When you get real close, it's obvious there are no plasma cells in that strip, as it is completely black, while the plasma cells sparkle a bit, even on a "black" source image.
post #8198 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Montero View Post

Just got the 55VT50, for $1650, and the picture is not crisp (just a tad blurry). I had a Samsung 6000 series LED before hooked up to the same box and picture was very good and crisp. Do I have to adjust anything to get the picture pristine like everyone else in this thread? I have my set top box set to it's highest setting (1080i Fios)

First thing first, get it out of Standard Mode and try THX Cinema mode to see if that helps. More than likely you are used to the LCD enhanced sharpness. The plasma will have a much more natural looking and realistic picture that may take some getting used to, but once you do you'll appreciate it.

post #8199 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

First thing first, get it out of Standard Mode and try THX Cinema mode to see if that helps. More than likely you are used to the LCD enhanced sharpness. The plasma will have a much more natural looking and realistic picture that may take some getting used to, but once you do you'll appreciate it.

Yeah I'm in THX cinema mode. So this picture isn't going to get sharper with calibrating and break-in? Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm a noob when it comes to plasma's biggrin.gif
post #8200 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

I anticipate I'm going to go through the same thing when my VT50 arrives tomorrow. My calibrated Samsung UN60D7000 has an extremely bright, sharp picture and I know I'm going to see a softer pic initially but I know the detail will be there!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #8201 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Normal.
Yes those.
I also pre set contrast-79, brightness-55, color-50, sharpness-0,tint-50, screen brightness-normal, color temp-warm 1, Gamma 2.2 and 30%100% IRE (slightly tricky, I want to set 30/100 IRE so when you run the auto LUT, Calman will not make any changes to the default 30/100 % settings when writing to my mini), Also there are two changes I make in my Mini 3D, I set dE2000 to 0.5 and dE 2000 LUT to 1.0. I could drop both down to 0.25 and 0.50 but imo CM5E over processes the Grayscale and Gamut.
Of-course if I profile one meter to another meter, placement, widow size and warm up of the meters and TV are taken into consideration.
Then there is my CM5E ver 5.0.3 RGB default settings, Sat and Lum are set at 100% so I change all of the Sat and Lum settings to 50%, Hue is already pre set to 50% so there's no need to change that.
I am talking about VT50 US/NA models.Not Euro VT50. If there is a number to press to open up the controls in ISF mode for US/NA model's then please share.
ss

great info, few follow up questions:

> tint 50 ? I had mine set to 0, gotta try that

> did u ever try warm 2 ? I remember Chad B recommended that once, but that was for traditional 6-point calibration...

> what's the idea about locking in 30 & 100 IRE in before auto cal and why do you say it's tricky ?

> why do Sat, Lum & Hue need to be preset to 50% in CM ?

Thanks.

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #8202 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Whats this size 1 and 2? I've looked and I have full, zoom, just, etc. Where in the menu is it?
post #8203 of 13696 Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Whats this size 1 and 2? I've looked and I have full, zoom, just, etc. Where in the menu is it?

Its in the advanced picture settings.

One bit of advice for new VT50 owners, the TV gets 1000x better after 200 hours of break in. I remember thinking for the first week the picture was great but it could be better. Now? Its stunning.
post #8204 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Montero View Post

Yeah I'm in THX cinema mode. So this picture isn't going to get sharper with calibrating and break-in? Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm a noob when it comes to plasma's biggrin.gif

If you are a fan of really sharp video images, you might want to check out the Darbee Darblet video enhancement box.

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #8205 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

great info, few follow up questions:
> tint 50 ? I had mine set to 0, gotta try that
> did u ever try warm 2 ? I remember Chad B recommended that once, but that was for traditional 6-point calibration...
> what's the idea about locking in 30 & 100 IRE in before auto cal and why do you say it's tricky ?
> why do Sat, Lum & Hue need to be preset to 50% in CM ?
Thanks.
- M

50 should be the default number, right in the middle (0-100). That you leave at default.

Yes I have tried warm 2 but that has to low of a color temp setting comes in around 59K, and it tends to have a slight pink overtone in the finalized settings. When I do a manual 6 point calibration my go to is warm 1 gamma 2.2 and I sometimes use neutral higher color temp (70K) with a gamma target of 2.4 but I don't recommend using neutral with autocal.

It helps audtocal do its thing by setting those two points, just like it would doing a manual calibration. It also sets your white point (100%) therefore reducing the chance for clipping white. The tricky part is you need to put these two settings in your VT50 not in your Mini and you need to set them so autocal will not think there is a need to change the RGB at these two points, so it doesn't write to the Mini and add settings for these two points. It is for this reason and others you need to set your error level for grayscale and CMS so autocal will not over process or under process your grayscale or CMS. Plus I don't like changing Green when doing a grayscale calibration so its just two points that green will not be changed.

For any calibration manual or auto you always want to start from a neutral point when running a gamut CMS, so you can get your primary's (RGB) and secondary's (CMY) to there best points in a CIE chart (numbers included) and therefore have a very good balance between your primary's and secondary's along with getting these points to there ideal point on the CIE chart to maximize your colors and lum.
On a side note CM has fixed the bug in there CMS default settings and it now reads 50/50/50, not 50/100/100.

Calibration is all about balancing all of the above so every setting is optimize and in harmony with all other settings.

This is the big plus we DIY calibrators have over a so called pro calibrator, we can experiment with these setting on are TV's thereby ending up with a better calibration. Of-course you still need good meters and good knowledge of how this all works. Using the new tools like the Mini 3D and the auto LUT 125 point cube workflow, it makes the calibration process a lot easier to learn and use.

ss
post #8206 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Does anyone have any advice on what the heck I should do with my old tv? I have had it listed on craiglist for over a month, with no responses - which is what I figured would happen. I really would like this thing gone by the time the VT50 gets delivered on Tuesday. BB is delivering my new tv - does anyone know if they would take my old 205-pound Sony off my hands? Or maybe Goodwill or anywhere else?
You probably won't find any takers since no one wants CRT sets any more. Even Goodwill probably won't take it. You might find a charity that will take it but even that is doubtful. Unfortunately, you may have to pay a fee to have the set properly disposed of. There are some potentially dangerous chemicals and metals in these old sets so they can't just go into the landfill. They have to be disposed of properly. Check with your local waste management authority about how to dispose of such a set.

post #8207 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:

I am pretty sure BB will take it away when they deliver your new TV. Before I brought my VT50 from BB I ask and they said NP...

ss
post #8208 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am pretty sure BB will take it away when they deliver your new TV. Before I brought my VT50 from BB I ask and they said NP...
ss

Yup, I mentioned this above. Shouldn't be an issue for BB to take it, as long you notify them before hand.

post #8209 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So how was The Dark Night Rises on the vt50?
post #8210 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

So how was The Dark Night Rises on the vt50?

I've read people on here saying it was stunning. For me though, I was highly disappointed. Picture was very dark and the IMAX scenes were not all that sharp on my VT50. Watched it on a 3 year old, entry level model Panasonic plasma that I have and it looked amazing on there. Add to the dullness, the flashing backgrounds that I would get, and it wasn't an enjoyable experience. However, I will add that I think there are a few issues with my set, so that may play into this as well. Can't return it though, waiting to get the A board replaced (which will likely solve nothing), then a possible swap from Panasonic. I find my picture to be very dark on everything, and this is my second VT50, first one was not like this at all.
post #8211 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are a fan of really sharp video images, you might want to check out the Darbee Darblet video enhancement box.

Just be sure you can return it if you don't like it. I tried one for a week and saw no improvement at all - sent it back.

Steve
post #8212 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, I watched it on my 500m last night. And I didn't think it looked that good either. It looked really soft for most of the movie. I wonder if the Blu ray is to blame. Also has anyone tried or used the OTA tuner in the VT50? Hows the quality on the tuner? Sorry for all the questions. But I want to make sure I make the right decision on which tv to go with. Thanks
post #8213 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

Just be sure you can return it if you don't like it. I tried one for a week and saw no improvement at all - sent it back.

I agree. I like a sharp image but I did not like the results I got from the Darblet.

Are there any other solutions?

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #8214 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
The Darblet doesn't sharpen the image, but it definitely improves facial detail on 720p content/sources on my GT50, and had the same effect when i tried it on my friend's 6020FD Kuro. It's not as apparent when i tried it on my G10 though.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8215 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

The OTA tuner is actually pretty good. All I have is the coax connection plugged into the cable outlet from my PS3 (I don't use it), and just by this it pulls in all my OTA HD channels with signal strength of 90% or higher.
post #8216 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

On a side note, I'm wondering if people here can comment on my issues. Here is my situation, I had a VT50 that developed two dead pixels and then one that started flashing green. Panasonic deemed this as a defect and replaced the panel. The tv I received is starting to act even worse and I've yet to be able to get them to just agree to swap it. Do you think this set is worth replacing, the issues are:

1) Vertical lines running all through the screen, about 12 - 15 of them in total, including a really bad one on the righ hand side of the screen (banding). First VT50 did not have any of these lines. Really noticeable on color slides and white scrolling bar sweep. Have noticed the occasional time in regular content.

2) Flashing/flickering picture. Not the strobe lights from sports, but while watching a movie the picture will flash or flicker a few times. Have seen this on Bluray, satellite, and PS3, all different inputs. Noticed on Bluray during the Dark Knight Rises and did not have that issue on my 3 year old Panasonic entry level plasma that I have, so it is not a source issue.

3) Picture becoming darker with time. When I initially turn on the tv, the picture quality is right where it should be in my opinion. After a few hours though, the picture has become noticeably darker. This is easily noticed with my satellite guide as the colors have become quite a bit darker then when initally turned on. CATS is turned off.

This tv is an October build which I only have had for about 4 weeks. Have an A board replacement coming up, but hoping they end up deciding after that or before that to just replace the panel again. 3 seperate issues in 4 weeks is not a good track record for what else may develop.
post #8217 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 16
Mark-B, In my experience with the right hand side banding/dark band, changing out the "A" board did nothing. They changed the board out and tried adjusting voltages but did nothing so Panasonic gave me an in store credit for the 65VT50(July build). My current ST50(October -2 version) has the same as what you are talking about across the screen(bunch of darker bars/bands), I can see it with the white sweep and I don't think it will go away or get better with time. Plus it has the trademark right hand side vertical band.
post #8218 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

I've read people on here saying it was stunning. For me though, I was highly disappointed. Picture was very dark and the IMAX scenes were not all that sharp on my VT50. Watched it on a 3 year old, entry level model Panasonic plasma that I have and it looked amazing on there. Add to the dullness, the flashing backgrounds that I would get, and it wasn't an enjoyable experience. However, I will add that I think there are a few issues with my set, so that may play into this as well. Can't return it though, waiting to get the A board replaced (which will likely solve nothing), then a possible swap from Panasonic. I find my picture to be very dark on everything, and this is my second VT50, first one was not like this at all.

My VT50 is pretty accuratately calibrated, the problem for me was that the IMAX scenes were spectacular, which really highlighted the flaws in the 35mm scenes.

Looky here!
post #8219 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

Mark-B, In my experience with the right hand side banding/dark band, changing out the "A" board did nothing. They changed the board out and tried adjusting voltages but did nothing so Panasonic gave me an in store credit for the 65VT50(July build). My current ST50(October -2 version) has the same as what you are talking about across the screen(bunch of darker bars/bands), I can see it with the white sweep and I don't think it will go away or get better with time. Plus it has the trademark right hand side vertical band.

What do you mean by an in store credit? They gave you money towards getting another one, or did a replacement? With my first replacement, they game the dealer the money for it and had them swap it after that.
post #8220 of 13696 Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Ok I will try that. The eyes of people on the screen is pretty blurry and dark when they are zoomed out. Hopefully Darblet box helps fix that problem or I might have to look into calibration.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page