Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8281 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Can you burn them to a disk? I did that years ago and have running disk thru bd player for 59 hrs. So far no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question ,

I have moved my 65VT50 from our bedroom to the living room due to what I believe to be the TV producing a large amount of heat and heating up the room.

So...I need a new TV for the bedroom. I'm thinking of going with a Sammy 8000 LCD....but if I'm going to run into the same heat issues with that...I'll just get another XXVT50...possibly a smaller one.

Anyone noticed a large amount of heat coming from their VT...heating up a room? Would going to an LCD fix this?
post #8283 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The heat is minimal compared to my 4 year old Kuro. Greatly reduced. LCD is supposed to run much cooler than plasma. You must have a big bedroom.
post #8284 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Montero View Post

Break in slides show up as duplicates with one pair that doesn't work. This is keeping me from running them. These are evangelo slides, i tried downloading from different sources and same problem. I've tried an SD card and external hard drive. Both were even formatted to FAT32 and still same problem. WHy are they showing up twice and why is one pair unreadable? Any help would be appreciated.

It is indeed because you used a Mac - it adds a companion file to each jpeg and the TV can't read those companion files.

So just import Evangelo's image files into iPhoto, then drag them into the root folder in your USB flash drive - that will eliminate the companion files and the slideshow will play properly.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8285 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

The heat is minimal compared to my 4 year old Kuro. Greatly reduced. LCD is supposed to run much cooler than plasma. You must have a big bedroom.

Viewing distance is 20 feet or so.
post #8286 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post

Question ,
I have moved my 65VT50 from our bedroom to the living room due to what I believe to be the TV producing a large amount of heat and heating up the room.
So...I need a new TV for the bedroom. I'm thinking of going with a Sammy 8000 LCD....but if I'm going to run into the same heat issues with that...I'll just get another XXVT50...possibly a smaller one.
Anyone noticed a large amount of heat coming from their VT...heating up a room? Would going to an LCD fix this?
Get ready for a HUGE picture quality loss if you go with a NON-local dimming LED. I can not believe that the TV is changing your room temperature. I have owned many different units and have never had an issue like this.

Do you live an area where your home needs to be heated? Maybe someone was playing with your vent baffal's near your furnace to let more heat in that room? If not, turn the vent baffal's down so less heat goes in that room..
post #8287 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Question ,
Anyone noticed a large amount of heat coming from their VT...heating up a room? Would going to an LCD
fix this?

The 8000 samsung led is a complete joke. Definitely stay clear of that set. The vt50 will run laps around any edge lit led. My vt50 gives off very minimal heat
My 2007 ccfl lcd gives off more heat than my vt50.
post #8288 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 32
Would someone be able to answer my question about the 5 or so lines of unlit pixels on the top and bottom of the set. I have the 65VT50. Pixel orbitor is off and aspect ration and HDSize does not change anything. There are no unlit pixels on the sides. On the sides you can see where the pixel cells end and the glass continues. On the top and bottom, they go all the way to the edge but like I said, a few lines are unlit. I don't have a pattern to put on it that would show me if the picture is actually a full 1920 x 1080 or if I'm missing those top and bottom lines. I know this seems a bit OCD but I saved up for a year to buy all my new equipment and I would return it if this isn't right.

I'm running the slides off a USB drive and although I would like to use 'THX Cinema' for the slides... my only option is 'Cinema'. What settings should I use to break it in since I can't use THX Cinema?
post #8289 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Question ,

I have a 280 sq. foot den that I have a Panasonic 54 in and I can not tell any temperature difference than any other room. LCD does run a little cooler but not by much. If you do decide to go with LCD, local dimming is the only way to go. It want be cheap though.
post #8290 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Sorry if this has been answered before, my searches did not provide an answer.

I want to connect my Macbook Pro to my VT50. Should I go with VGA or HDMI adapter?
post #8291 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Liked: 11
I'd go with HDMI. VGA is basically an analog connection.
post #8292 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Makak View Post

I want to connect my Macbook Pro to my VT50. Should I go with VGA or HDMI adapter?

HDMI.

Looky here!
post #8293 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Makak View Post

I use HDMI connection whenever possible now at home and at work. Goodbye resolution issues!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #8294 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

I had the same problem when trying to load them to the thumb drive from my Mac. I had to reformat and load them using my wife's PC to avoid the blank files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I experienced the same duplicate slide issue downloading from my Mac. I finally gave up and turned to continuously running a movie channel in Zoom mode for about a week ( to avoid black bars and logos). Easier said then done because most channels these days display continuos logos on some type of reader board. In my case I was able to access the Starz movie channel via DirecTV. Starz runs movies 24hrs and while it displays a logo it only does so intermittently for 3-5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It is indeed because you used a Mac - it adds a companion file to each jpeg and the TV can't read those companion files.
So just import Evangelo's image files into iPhoto, then drag them into the root folder in your USB flash drive - that will eliminate the companion files and the slideshow will play properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Can you burn them to a disk? I did that years ago and have running disk thru bd player for 59 hrs. So far no problem.

Thanks for the help guys
post #8295 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I use HDMI connection whenever possible now at home and at work. Goodbye resolution issues!

Thank you all for your answers. Good thing I asked, I thought VGA would prevent resolution issues.
post #8296 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Hello all,

This is my first post. Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Eddy and I've recently acquired the 65VT50 and so far I love it. Picture quality is amazing. I have yet to get it calibrated since I still only have about 100 hours on it. I've always been a fan of home theater tech, but spent the majority of my extra income on my even bigger car hobby (Evos, DSMs). Now in recent years since being with my girlfriend, I see myself buying a home, getting married, starting a family and all the good stuff in the near furture. So now it's time to concentrate on the home, what better way to do so then updating the home theater components.

I am eligible to receive a free calibration from Best buy because of my silver status reward zone, but I've read too many bad reviews online about Best Buy's calibrations. Can anyone provide any input?

This forum is information overload. I can usually intake information quickly but I find myself lost again as I decide on what I want. I got the TV now it's time for a Receiver. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
post #8297 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLord View Post

Hello all,

This is my first post. Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Eddy and I've recently acquired the 65VT50 and so far I love it. Picture quality is amazing. I have yet to get it calibrated since I still only have about 100 hours on it. I've always been a fan of home theater tech, but spent the majority of my extra income on my even bigger car hobby (Evos, DSMs). Now in recent years since being with my girlfriend, I see myself buying a home, getting married, starting a family and all the good stuff in the near furture. So now it's time to concentrate on the home, what better way to do so then updating the home theater components.
I am eligible to receive a free calibration from Best buy because of my silver status reward zone, but I've read too many bad reviews online about Best Buy's calibrations. Can anyone provide any input?
This forum is information overload. I can usually intake information quickly but I find myself lost again as I decide on what I want. I got the TV now it's time for a Receiver. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Eddy,
I am in the same boat you are in. I decided to go ahead and have Best Buy do the calibration. Your TV can always be restored to factory defaults if you don't like it. I am also prepared to have a private calibrator come do a more complete calibration after Best Buy is done with it.

I plan on getting a Onkyo NR818, excellent audio and video(processing) for around a grand.
post #8298 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Those of you using Best Buy, please give us your impressions of the experience level and competence of the tech who does the work. Are they using a meter and meticulous process on a laptop? Or are they tweaking based on the basic patterns?

Seems to me from past BB comments that if you're on this forum, that qualifies you to do at least as good a job on your own with freely available test patterns than the Geek Squad.
post #8299 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 20
Will do. My calibration is scheduled for next Sunday. Their website lists that the calibrators are ISF certified and the Best Buy location that I am using is listed on the ISF website.
post #8300 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

What is the setting to use for 1:1 pixel mapping with no change to the source aspect ratio?
There isn't one for all sources, unless your source devices are set correctly.

"FULL" will take whatever signal it gets and fill the screen with it. This is great for 16:9 sources (including anamorphic DVDs), but stretches 4:3 horizontally.
"JUST" and "H-FILL" always distort, so you never want to use those. Both take just the 4:3 portion of the signal as the "source", with "JUST" doing a non-linear version of "FULL". "H-FILL" is the same as "FULL" if the source is 4:3, which is why it isn't available unless the source is 16:9.
"4:3" would be needed if you have a 4:3 input signal, which means that devices like cable boxes would have to be set to send 4:3 when on an SD channel. It adds sidebars to all sources (for 16:9 sources, the sidebars cover part of the picture) and zooms a very tiny bit to remove the junk at the top/bottom. If your devices always send a 16:9 signal with sidebars for SD, you wouldn't ever need this one, although you might want it for the junk removal.
"ZOOM" is only useful for non-anamorphic DVDs or letterboxed SD content. It takes the 16:9 area out of the 4:3 area of the source and zooms it. It can end up looking pretty bad, so avoiding such sources is a better choice.

So, set your devices to send 16:9, and set the TV to "FULL", and then you only have to change to "ZOOM" for letterboxed SD material, or maybe "4:3" to mask junk at the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc753 View Post

You seem to be referring to how the various aspect settings handle 4:3 content. I'm referring to how they handle native 16:9 1080i and 1080p content. JUST takes 16:9 content and stretches it rather than displaying it properly.
That's because they are all designed to deal with 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen (or in a 16:9 signal), as you can see from my descriptions above.

Also note that the TV remembers the "Aspect Adjustment" for each combination of inputs and source signal type. So, if you have your STB set to output "native", you can set "FULL" when on an HD channel and "4:3" for an SD channel, and it will remember it, so you never have to set them again for whatever input your STB is connected to.
post #8301 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Are there any adjustments I can make to the posted Cnet VT50 settings I am using to minimize background pixelation? Close up foreground objects/faces etc appear very clear and crisp with these settings. However, from my normal 12' +/- viewing distance, I can see visible pixels on background objects particularly faces ( face dots)? Otherwise these settings seem to work well for my panel. Thanks in advance.

Here are the settings I am using for reference:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-564711/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1338818924521;createThreadPopup

LB
post #8302 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLord View Post

Hello all,
I was told the ISF calibration school was not so good, the THX school was better. I was still told most knoledge will be learned from trail, error, and MOST important a huge love/passion for electronics. The true calibrators below will roll out with about 10-20K worth of gear to do your unit to the highest standard. In the end the Best Buy guys just are not as good 99% of the time, in fact from stories in AVS not even close. Most calibrations take 2-3 hours, there are cases BB is in and out in 20 mins. Are they that fast and that much better? NOPE.

Case in point, why are all the guys in the list below independent, there own company, and not working at BB themselves? Why is it that none of the guys on the list below started there calibration trade at BB? ( At least I am not aware of any ) Simple, the guys below make more cash as they are professionals. ( To each his own though. I am not hear to try and bash anyone's skill level, trying to explain the best I can without bashing. This is what I have read and have seen as far as personal experience. I am sure BB has a few good calibrators, I hope. You can always factory default back to the first setting one had when the TV was first powered on wink.gif )

Calibrators.....
http://www.thxvideotech.com/forum/showthread.php?542-THX-Certified-Video-Calibrator

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058269
post #8303 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Sad to report that I have exchanged my 4th 65vt50 which I thought was a keeper and decided to see if I will have better luck playing the Samsung panel lottery with a 65es8000. mad.gif

This past week I noticed all along the bottom of the tv under the glass panel, a sort of foggy haze has developed essentially all along the bottom....keep in mind in the black area, not where the viewing area is as of yet. In addition, out of nowhere smudges under the glass panel developed similar to the person who posted the pics of thumbprints under the glass as well as a sandpaper like scratch also under the glass panel about 8 inches above the smudge. Only thing I can think of is air must be getting in somewhere behind the glass panel causing this fogging and exposing blemishes not otherwise seen before. This set like previous ones of mine did accumulate excessive dust behind the glass panel so perhaps location of vents in my home theater was blowing dust in areas that were not sealed an these same areas is where the of I now developed.

Of those who didn't see my previous posts, set 1 had dead pixels, set 2 had excessive buzzing and thumbprints under glass panel, set 3 had dead pixels, and now set 4 with a new never previously mentioned problem other than the smudges and thumbprints under th glass panel.

Really disappointed, but did not want to risk something getting worse once I was outside of the exchange period even though the picture itself was flawless. If the 65es8000 has issues as well, perhaps I will get the 65vt50 again if I have to decide to live with flaws and have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Luckily I have a 60'day window thanks to silver reward zone status to try my luck.
post #8304 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OH my, the list of issues the 65ES8000 will have frown.gif It is an edge lit LED. If you wanted comparable to the VT50 you needed to go with the XBR-65HX950 or the Elites.
scirica likes this.
post #8305 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

OH my, the list of issues the 65ES8000 will have frown.gif It is an edge lit LED. If you wanted comparable to the VT50 you needed to go with the XBR-65HX950 or the Elites.

I agree - the ES8000 is nowhere near as good as a mid-to-high-end Samsung or Panasonic Plasma.

If you must go with an LED, the only ones that come close (and in some aspects exceed) the mid-to-high-end Samsung or Panasonic Plasmas is the HX950 or the Sharp Elite. If they had made the Elite in a 50"-52" size i'd probably be watching one right now biggrin.gif
scirica likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8306 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I would love to but the Sony is $4,700 and the Sharp Elite is $6,000, not exactly in the same price range as either the $2,900 for the ES8000 let alone the $2,700 for the VT50. Like previously mentioned, there must be something about the room I had the VT50 in because all four of my sets accumulated massive amounts of dust under the glass panel in just weeks for each one, yet I am surprised I haven't read one other person in this forum mention complain let alone mention they have lots of dust particles under their glass panels, so as much as I like the VT50, it is not the right set for the room I have my home theater due to the glass panel edges being exposed to the elements causing many of these dust, smudge and fogging issues. Did I mention that all four of the sets also had cosmetic blemishes right out of the box such as surface scratches on various parts of the screen, dings in the metal border on one of them, fingerprints under the glass panel on two of them - these I could live with, but the dead pixels, buzzing and fogging I can not. Again, the performance on this 4th set was finally flawless as there were no dead pixels and it was the quietest of the four sets, but there is no way I was going to risk waiting beyond the exchange period to see if the issues with dust and fog would affect the set in the long run.

I can always go back to a 65VT50 if the Samsungs prove to be as bad as everyone in these Panasonic forums claim they are as I do have a 60 day return window with this latest exchange, but after four manufatcurer defects in 65VT50 sets, i felt like that old saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I stuck with the VT50 four times to no avail hoping I would get a decent one. I can post some pictures if people need to see what I'm talking about in regards to the fog and blemishes that have recently popped up under the glass panel if need be.

I am aware of the clouding, flashlighting and banding issues with the ES8000 and hoping they are not as bad as some people allude them to be, but I'm beginning to feel that regardless of manufacturer or model, all sets are going to have issues and it's a matter of deciding which ones each particular owner is willing to live with.
post #8307 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I agree - the ES8000 is nowhere near as good as a mid-to-high-end Samsung or Panasonic Plasma.
If you must go with an LED, the only ones that come close (and in some aspects exceed) the mid-to-high-end Samsung or Panasonic Plasmas is the HX950 or the Sharp Elite. If they had made the Elite in a 50"-52" size i'd probably be watching one right now biggrin.gif

Samsungs 64 E8000 plasma is definitely one I would consider trying if the ES8000s are just too problematic in regards to the clouding and banding or like previously mentioned may go back to the 65VT50. However, if i decide to stick with plasma, I kind of wanted to stick with the best... ie the VT50. But one of the reasons I decided to try the ES8000 was because the glass panel was covered by a black border, which itself was covered by an aluminum border which I thought would be perfect in regards to preventing dust build up under the screen since it seems to be an issue in my home theater. It wasn't until I started to read all of the issues with the ES8000 in that forum that I started to get concerned, but I do have a 60 day window so I decided to wait for the set on Tuesday to check it out myself in my rooms viewing conditions and make a determination from there....

But.... I do like the HX950 alot, but coughing up an additional $1500 at a minimum on top of the close to $3000 for the ES8000 is painful and do already have a 55 inch Sony LCD that I have had for years with no issues, so I like sony, but we'll have to wait and see.
post #8308 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Funny, I am looking at a 65es8000 with terrible banding, like the panel features etc,but all I see is the inconsistent panel brightness. On scenery, beach scenes, sunsets etc which are to be awesome looking and terrible...like looking through a dirty Window. Swapping it for a 65vt50...I hope I am not exchanging one issue for another.
post #8309 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM

Cmay, the es8000 is not a glass panel. Wait until you feel how cheap it is. You could blow it over. If u like bluish blacks and the worst uniformity and banding the industry has to offer, then you may enjoy it. Letterbox movies and dark movies are absolutely atrocious on that set. Shadow detail is really bad too. The chrome bezel is cheap little aluminum slider things and they dont even meet each other at the edges, very cheaply made. Im telling you, you are going to be very disappointed! Off angle axis is also horrendous. You need to be sitting dead center or else u will be looking at a even more washed out image. I wish i could say your in for a treat, but in the case of the es8000 your in for a nightmare.
post #8310 of 13658 Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

The es8000 is not a glass panel. Wait until you feel how cheap it is. You could blow it over. If u like bluish blacks and the worst uniformity and banding the industry has to offer, then you may enjoy it. Letterbox movies and dark movies are absolutely atrocious on that set. Shadow detail is really bad too. The chrome bezel is cheap little aluminum slider things and they dont even meet each other at the edges, very cheaply made. Im telling you, you are going to be very disappointed! Off angle axis is also horrendous. You need to be sitting dead center or else u will be looking at a even more washed out image. I wish i could say your in for a treat, but in the case of the es8000 your in for a nightmare.

I agree with bolt, my other panel is an 50" elite and this es8000 is no comparison. I hope the vt50 can approach my elite.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page