Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PhantomRouge, yes.

I watch the same soccer channel (including the ESPN broadcasts) and I noticed the retention for the first time last weekened when I inadvertently paused the TV on a commercial with a white background. I hadn't really noticed it on my previous Panasonic 42" plasma (branded as HP) which I owned for six years, but I never went out of my way to look for it. After the commercial I checked the scroller and the scoreboard and upper right logo were firmly seated. To be fair, this happened that night after watching the games in the morning and nothing else during the day. Actually, I watched a movie on VUDU, but the logo and scoreboard were located in the black bar area of the movie and didn't see any action to help erase the retention. For kicks, I ran the scroller bar three times and the retention vanished.

I will resume my normal viewing habits (as I did this morning for the games) and simply enjoy the TV as I did with the previous plasma. Incidentally, I broke in the TV with 200 hours of consecutive HBO two to three months ago. I hope to get it calibrated after I pull the trigger on a new pre pro next year.

It's an amazing TV, but then I thought the 42" was amazing (it actually did a better job with cable broadcasts, but that might have been the byproduct of its smaller size)

JP

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." -- W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_fan View Post

I was watching the same games today. I did not notice retention, but the general consensus in the discussions here seems to be that this type of retention is probably temporary and can be remedied by varying content.
I am noticing, however, that there is a lot of line bleed. For example, during the scores of the day banner on FSC. Another good example is during the green preview screens on blu-rays. These look absolutely terrible with the line bleeds. Even some menu items seem to have it. Do you see these as well?

I don't notice any line bleed, but that may just be me.

I never noticed the retention for any other station, and ive been watching movies on other stations rest of the day and if I look for it, its really bad.

I guess ill run the scroll bar a few more times to see if that fixes it.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 15
It will go away on its own. Watch a pixar movie and it will dissipate on its own. See my post up top.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt989 View Post

It will go away on its own. Watch a pixar movie and it will dissipate on its own. See my post up top.

Heh, the movie i was watching when I noticed it was Puss in Boots.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Yeah it may take a bit. Its not going to go away completely in 20 minutes. It will fade with time so you cant even see it then it will disappear over time. Best thing to do is not worry about it as it will go away on its own over time just by watching tv.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I recently decided to check for IR on my 260+ hour VT50. Using the Anti Image Retention scroll bar function on the VT50 menu, its easy to see any IR as the scroll bar passes in between white and dark. I saw IR on the upper left corner of the panel, the word "menu" no doubt due to constant use of the TV's menu, and in the bottom right portion of the panel there was some station's logo.
I ran the Anti Image Retention scroll bar a four times which runs for 15 mins each pass--but that didn't clear the IR on my panel. I do however have a copy of Disney's WOW calibration disk and remembered reading something about a pixel flipper function from a comment posted previously in this forum. I used the pixel flipper for about an hour ( the suggested run time) and that did the trick--no more IR.
Like many have posted, it may be better NOT to look for IR eek.gif, as I never really saw any IR artifacts visible during regular TV/Blu ray viewing. However I decided to look anyway rolleyes.gif ( maybe too much time on my hands during the holiday) and glad I did so I now know that I can clean it up before it becomes too persistent using this pixel flipper function on the Disney WOW calibration disk.

Thanks for sharing that! Glad to hear my WOW disc will actually come in handy- tried using it on the es8000 i have and it needed pretty much no tweaking biggrin.gif

Also reassuring that you didn't notice the IR during your normal viewing and it was a cinch to fix. Looking forward to getting my vt50 next week setup and ready to go.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Yeah it may take a bit. Its not going to go away completely in 20 minutes. It will fade with time so you cant even see it then it will disappear over time. Best thing to do is not worry about it as it will go away on its own over time just by watching tv.

As long as "watching TV" does not consist of watching FX soccer. It is now IR but with continual watching of the same channel without getting rid of that first, that IR will become long-term IR or, *gasp* burn-in. As one reknowned calibrator has said, to paraphrase, what's the difference between a logo that is still stuck after 6-12 months and burn-in? Same difference to most of us.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Little off topic here but thought maybe someone here can help me.

I am getting a message saying my DVD player will not play 3D BluRay's. It is a PS3 that has the latest firmware. Why am I getting this message, non compliant HDMI cables? The HDMI cable running from my PS3 to the Onkyo is probably 7 years old, I am guessing that this is my issue, just need some confirmation.

Here is what I am running:

PS3(think it is a first generation if there is such a thing, firmware is the latest version) ---> Hooked directly to a Onkyo TX-NR818---> Darbee Darblet---> 65VT50.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

As long as "watching TV" does not consist of watching FX soccer. It is now IR but with continual watching of the same channel without getting rid of that first, that IR will become long-term IR or, *gasp* burn-in. As one reknowned calibrator has said, to paraphrase, what's the difference between a logo that is still stuck after 6-12 months and burn-in? Same difference to most of us.

Correct. Why I recommended a pixar movie. Mixing up content is the trick with a plasma. Dont watch espn 24/7.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Correct. Why I recommended a pixar movie. Mixing up content is the trick with a plasma. Dont watch espn 24/7.

My wording was imprecise, I grant you that. To rephrase, I believe that *regular* FX soccer viewing while the IR is still present, is going to be a problem.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Yeah, for sure. Sometimes after watching espn for a couple hours or have a 2-3 hour gaming session with call of duty I will run the scroll bar for 15 minutes just to make sure I erase it for peace of mind. But to be honest i don't worry about it to much as i mix in a good variety of content.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRogue View Post

I don't notice any line bleed, but that may just be me.
I never noticed the retention for any other station, and ive been watching movies on other stations rest of the day and if I look for it, its really bad.
I guess ill run the scroll bar a few more times to see if that fixes it.

It may be useful to run the break-in slides for a few hours as well.
This is what I mean by the color bleed:

The Moire patterns are an artifact of the taken picture, I am referring to the lines bleeding from the high contrast text and boxes.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

I am getting a message saying my DVD player will not play 3D BluRay's. It is a PS3 that has the latest firmware. Why am I getting this message, non compliant HDMI cables? The HDMI cable running from my PS3 to the Onkyo is probably 7 years old, I am guessing that this is my issue, just need some confirmation.
Here is what I am running:
PS3(think it is a first generation if there is such a thing, firmware is the latest version) ---> Hooked directly to a Onkyo TX-NR818---> Darbee Darblet---> 65VT50.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Most likely the cable. Get some cheapie 1.4 HDMI cables from Monoprice or Amazon.

Looky here!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM

I am getting ready for the delivery of my 65VT50 next Wednesday and trying to figure out which table in our house the TV would fit on. Would any fellow forum readers be able to tell me the dimensions of the pedestal on which the TV stands (just the length and depth).

Many thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRogue View Post

Anyone noticing Image Retention on their VT50? I never noticed it before, but I was watching Fox Soccer for a few matches today (around 4 hours straight). And now I noticed that the logo is burned into the top right corner, I never noticed this before today, and all of a sudden, after the morning matches, im getting pretty bad retention. I am running the scrolling bar now, but I am really surprised that this just happened out of nowhere.
The TV is a few months old, I didn't run a break-in disc, but I did take care of it and not watch too much static stuff in the first few hundred hours.
It is really noticable on white/light colored backgrounds.
Did anyone else have problems with their TV?

Had the same with my set. Did not go away at all, was still there after a month of viewing. Luckily it is covered by warranty, so they took the tv back. I'm not sure if i can support them anymore. I have had 4 VT50's with all severe faults. Left with no tv now...
Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_fan View Post

It may be useful to run the break-in slides for a few hours as well.
This is what I mean by the color bleed:

The Moire patterns are an artifact of the taken picture, I am referring to the lines bleeding from the high contrast text and boxes.

Be happy, that is as good as non existant. On all models I had there would be almost a white bar running from that rating image.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post

Had the same with my set. Did not go away at all, was still there after a month of viewing. Luckily it is covered by warranty, so they took the tv back. I'm not sure if i can support them anymore. I have had 4 VT50's with all severe faults. Left with no tv now...

Wow that is bad luck, I think the odds are very high that if you get another VT50 it will be fine. Dont give up! Unless you can wait for the new 2013 model.

good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Wow that is bad luck, I think the odds are very high that if you get another VT50 it will be fine. Dont give up! Unless you can wait for the new 2013 model.
good luck!

That depends on what they announce at CES i guess. Have been watching an old 26" philips lcd ( which is why I stated I have no tv, as that doesn't really count :P ) for about 2 months now already. I had been thinking of buying a cheaper st50 and combine it with a lumagen mini3d. Then i'll have the missing cms/wb controls. Not sure if it would be better then a vt50 without mini3d. Can't seem to get an answer.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you get a picture of any kind with the cables you have? Then they're not the issue. Feel free to replace the cables if you want, but it almost certainly won't help here. Can you try bypassing the Onkyo to see what happens?

Steve
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPrice View Post

I am getting ready for the delivery of my 65VT50 next Wednesday and trying to figure out which table in our house the TV would fit on. Would any fellow forum readers be able to tell me the dimensions of the pedestal on which the TV stands (just the length and depth).
Many thanks!

65" Pedestal ---> width: 23.7" , Depth: 15.8"

(According to the manual).
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

Do you get a picture of any kind with the cables you have? Then they're not the issue. Feel free to replace the cables if you want, but it almost certainly won't help here. Can you try bypassing the Onkyo to see what happens?
The DVD player paused for 30 seconds or so and then gave me an error message saying "the disk has detected that this DVD player is not able to play 3D Blu-ray Discs or is not hooked up to a 3D capable set".

I can bypass but the cable that runs from the receiver to the TV is MUCH newer. This will be the same cable I use to bypass. I cannot use one of the old cable because the TV is in another room than all off the accessories.

Why do you think it might be an issue with the Onkyo?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:

So I bypassed the Onkyo and got the same message.

Play station to Darby to TV(HDMI cable to TV is 25'). I guess I will try to take the Darby out of the mix next.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

It is covered by warranty? Manufacturer or the place you bought it?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post

65" Pedestal ---> width: 23.7" , Depth: 15.8"
(According to the manual).

Thank you jamiee!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I bypassed the Onkyo and got the same message.
Play station to Darby to TV(HDMI cable to TV is 25'). I guess I will try to take the Darby out of the mix next.
Any other ideas?

Yes, do take the Darblet out and try it. The cable is not the cause of the problem - some piece of electronics is not HDMI 1.4 compliant.

That said, I replaced seven-year-old 25-foot cable with one from Monoprice just for the heck of it. The old one worked ok with 3D content.

Steve
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Yes, do take the Darblet out and try it. The cable is not the cause of the problem - some piece of electronics is not HDMI 1.4 compliant.
That said, I replaced seven-year-old 25-foot cable with one from Monoprice just for the heck of it. The old one worked ok with 3D content.

This is weird, everything(all electrinics) should be 3D. Is there a setting somewhere i need to change?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Be happy, that is as good as non existant. On all models I had there would be almost a white bar running from that rating image.

So, was the line bleeding one of the reasons you took back one of the sets?
It doesn't seem to be a major topic in this thread, I wonder how the general experience with line bleed is with the VT50.

I see it mainly during previews, credits (boxes and lines as the credits are rolling), and sometimes lightly with some menu boxes on the VT50. Is this considered a defect?

To add to the retention discussion, I put in a copy of Iron Man and left it on the title screen for 2-3 minutes while I made popcorn. The rectangular menu on the left was visible for a while after that (it was only on for 2-3 mins!!) I did the 100 hours break-in slides, and I am keeping the TV at Standard until 500 hours, so this was quite surprising to me.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Think it's worth buying a cable that has a Redmere chip in it?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:

So, I took the Darby out, same message. So PS3 (latest firmware) HDMI cable to TV. Can only be the cable or the PS3.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:

So, I took the Darby out, same message. So PS3 (latest firmware) HDMI cable to TV. Can only be the cable or the PS3.

Is there any reason why my PS3 would not be playing a 3D Bluray?

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv