Forum Jump: 

post #9811 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post

I have been following this thread for a few months now, with the thought of buying a VT-50 series TV. Having read so many comment with people having to many problems to mention, are any of you owners sorry you bought this TV. I ask because we are approaching 10K comments, and most are redundant with the same issues, to numerous to mention.

Are any owners sorry they bought this product. I know I am having second thoughts. Did the CNET top rating of this TV influence you to purchase it.

I am having a hard time rationalizing why I should buy this TV after following this thread for over two months. I actually stopped reading this thread for a month, came back and people are still buying these sets and then coming here for help. How do I do this, how do I do that, this is not working, I am on my third set, Internet problems, dead pixels, break in time, calibration.

Sure there are always going to be problems with any thing you buy, but right out of the box you have to come here to set it up.
I am not here to try to burn Panasonic, I am trying to understand if this is what is to be expected from a top rated TV, if so, perhaps for me anyway, a TV I can take out of the box plug it in, make my basic adjustment and enjoy it should be the main focus of my purchase. It has nothing to do with money, I don't want to have to come here all the time and add to the list of problems people are trying to solve with their new TV.

Any opinions regarding a different TV in the 55" range would be most welcome. Does not have to be Panasonic or even plasma. I can also do without wifi and 3D.

On a final note, I didn't mean to rant, but reading this thread has overwhelmed me regarding the VT-50 series Panasonic TV....

Cnet is the only experts who gave this TV high ratings. Pretty much every expert around the world pretty much have this TV the crown of 2012. Not to mention some of the most well known calibarators and videophiles around the world came together and compared this TV among the best at the valuelectronics and the VT came out with the crown. All of the issues stated on these threads are a very small percentage. I have a 55vt50 and 65vt50 and dot have IR, buzz or any other issues and I'm very anal coming from a 111ff and 151fd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought my VT50. My local BB was out of stock of the 55'' so I have to wait for it to come in.

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be a huge upgrade. Is there anything else I should know or should I just enjoy the tv when I get it?

I can't wait to watch blu-rays on my new tv!

EDIT: I'll post pictures when it is up.
locdog33 likes this.
post #9813 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Liked: 10
So I've had the 65VT50 for a week now and the sharpness is still lacking in my opinion.
I went to BestBuy last night and took a look at their TVs and right next to it was the Samsung 64E8000 plasma.
Watching them side by side the Samsung looked good and it was noticeably sharper picture.
The guy said that is because the Samsung was on a HDMI signal so we swapped the signal to the VT and I did not see a big difference in the VT 50.
Then..........The BB guy said that I need a better HDMI cable and recommended a $100 cable!

So I bought the cable....just to see how it works on my setup, and I swapped it back and forth with my HDMI cable with the PS3 blue ray and I was not blown away from the cable. So I will probably return it.

We messed with the picture settings and to me the VT with a "good" signal did not look that sharp. (signal was from the Samsung which looked sharp)
Not sure what others think about the Samsung 64E8000, but from reviews its a decent tv when compared to the VT?

Anyone compare these 2 when buying a plasma?

Thanks for any opinions.
post #9814 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM

lol @ the best buy suggestion of cable.........anyway, I picked one up from Paul's TV last week and haven't moved it to the final setup yet (house being setup), tested it for a couple hours and hear no buzz, great picture overall in THX Cinema mode......can't wait to get Jeff to get @ this like he did with my 151-FD. Great value for sure. Wanted to chime in for guys like Gary to know that not all are problem ridden sets.
post #9815 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS93GT View Post

So I've had the 65VT50 for a week now and the sharpness is still lacking in my opinion.
I went to BestBuy last night and took a look at their TVs and right next to it was the Samsung 64E8000 plasma.
Watching them side by side the Samsung looked good and it was noticeably sharper picture.
The guy said that is because the Samsung was on a HDMI signal so we swapped the signal to the VT and I did not see a big difference in the VT 50.
Then..........The BB guy said that I need a better HDMI cable and recommended a $100 cable!

So I bought the cable....just to see how it works on my setup, and I swapped it back and forth with my HDMI cable with the PS3 blue ray and I was not blown away from the cable. So I will probably return it.

We messed with the picture settings and to me the VT with a "good" signal did not look that sharp. (signal was from the Samsung which looked sharp)
Not sure what others think about the Samsung 64E8000, but from reviews its a decent tv when compared to the VT?

Thanks for any opinions.

Samung plasmas has always beeneader in resolution so yes will have sharper images. The VT50 beats the PNE8000 in every other category. In my opinion the PND8000 is a better TV than the PNE8000. The PND8000 has a better fight against the VT50. I have the 65vt50 and image was a bit soft at first but after 100hr break PQ did improve.
post #9816 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I have been following this thread for a few months now, with the thought of buying a VT-50 series TV. Having read so many comment with people having to many problems to mention, are any of you owners sorry you bought this TV. I ask because we are approaching 10K comments, and most are redundant with the same issues, to numerous to mention.

Are any owners sorry they bought this product. I know I am having second thoughts. Did the CNET top rating of this TV influence you to purchase it.

I am having a hard time rationalizing why I should buy this TV after following this thread for over two months. I actually stopped reading this thread for a month, came back and people are still buying these sets and then coming here for help. How do I do this, how do I do that, this is not working, I am on my third set, Internet problems, dead pixels, break in time, calibration.

Sure there are always going to be problems with any thing you buy, but right out of the box you have to come here to set it up.
I am not here to try to burn Panasonic, I am trying to understand if this is what is to be expected from a top rated TV, if so, perhaps for me anyway, a TV I can take out of the box plug it in, make my basic adjustment and enjoy it should be the main focus of my purchase. It has nothing to do with money, I don't want to have to come here all the time and add to the list of problems people are trying to solve with their new TV.

Any opinions regarding a different TV in the 55" range would be most welcome. Does not have to be Panasonic or even plasma. I can also do without wifi and 3D.

On a final note, I didn't mean to rant, but reading this thread has overwhelmed me regarding the VT-50 series Panasonic TV....

Gary, I understand your concerns....it's a lot of money. But I think you're doing yourself a disservice by over analyzing these threads. Its fear based really. The intellect becomes fearful and suspicious because you're asking it to do what it is not designed to do....tell you with certainly that you'll get a perfect TV (project into the future) based on this thread. Even the Kuro, considered the best of the best, had plenty of issues for a sample of people. I own a 65VT50 and have not had a problem.

Life is meant to be experienced...not thought about. Go buy the TV and return it if you don't like it.
ravneet likes this.
post #9817 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 394
Quote:

Thanks for any opinions.

Samsungs have undefeatable edge enhancement. You are probably noticing this. Its a good trick and works in showrooms. I think of it akin to when tvs like samsungs push their whites to blue because for some reason human eyes see blue whites as brighter. The vt50 does have some edge enhancement options in the 'custom' mode, but I think I remember turning them on and thinking they still weren't as aggressive as the samsung's filter. To me it doesn't matter since I like natural images with high contrast ratios differentiating objects on the screen.

and for heaven's sakes return that 1;)00$ monstrosity!
post #9818 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM

I thought about the hours I have on the TV, but I'm assuming the hours on the BB display was quiet alot! So not sure if hours make the picture sharper, but I'm sure the colors get better after 100 hours. I have no issues with the colors on the TV....just the sharpness.
BB already hates me because I went through 3 Samsung 65ES8000 tv's due to the black/white clouds in the panel, and now I'm on this VT.
They said that I can only swap out 1 more TV......so if I want to try the Samsung, they will not take it back!! IMO...that is BS....the 2 Samsung LEDs were faulty and not that is my fault!!
post #9819 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I do believe the Samsung plasma is "sharper", but that is not the same as more accurate, more color-correct, and more film-like which in my opinion is the strength of the VT50.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9820 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmonkeyhat View Post

I recently purchased the Samsung ES7100, but I can see motion blur on the grass during soccer/football games from an SD feed (streamed from Xbox). Has anyone found the Panasonic deals with this better?
A plasma refreshes at 600 MHZ at its normal rate, with this said you can not get motion blur on a plasma.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #9821 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

I thought about the hours I have on the TV, but I'm assuming the hours on the BB display was quiet alot! So not sure if hours make the picture sharper, but I'm sure the colors get better after 100 hours. I have no issues with the colors on the TV....just the sharpness.
BB already hates me because I went through 3 Samsung 65ES8000 tv's due to the black/white clouds in the panel, and now I'm on this VT.
They said that I can only swap out 1 more TV......so if I want to try the Samsung, they will not take it back!! IMO...that is BS....the 2 Samsung LEDs were faulty and not that is my fault!!

JG - it appears by your post here that you are chasing PERFECTION, and I hate to be the one to break it to you but you will NOT find it. Every single TV has good and bad features when compared to others. That Sharp may be sharper but when you get it home you'll likely see the flaws in the color reproduction or clouding... or [enter issue of the day here]. Buy a TV based on your research for your situation and ENJOY IT!

Good luck
post #9822 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Like others have said, this forum is for people looking to get the absolute most out of their TV's and who are looking for as close to perfection as possible. These are people who aren't simply looking to plug-in a TV to set it and forget it. They like to tweak and customize and fuss over the small details. When reading this thread keep in mind that the fact that so many people are buying these TV's in an AV forum, where perfection is desired, must mean the TV is pretty darn good.

Anyone who buys a top-end TV should expect to tweak it and understand what makes it a top-end TV compared to a lower-end TV. Think of it this way, a top-end DSLR camera (like a $5000 camera) isn't top-end because it's the easiest to use. It's top-end because in the hands of the right person who knows how to use it, it can produce the best results. It's the same way with a TV of this caliber. It's not intended to be the easiest TV to use, it's intended to produce the best image possible in the hands of the right person. To get that requires knowledgeable tweaking, whether that knowledge comes from years of experience as a cailbrator or from a collaborative effort of an AV forum like this.

Certainly you could simply plug this TV in and make a couple basic adjustments, but you wouldn't be getting as much quality out of the TV as you could be getting. If you're not interested in doing the tweaks required to get the most out of this TV, then you would probably be just as satisfied with a lower-end TV with simpler available adjustments. I bought the VT50 because I wanted the best image quality possible with current technology. So far it's delivered on that with no issues.
post #9823 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM

I know and it's killing me trying to have my cake and eat it too..

I think I prefer the sharper picture. The LED's I had were very sharp but the blacks/panel lighting was horrible. I'm thinking of trying the the Samsung and if I can buy it and have both at my house to compare side by side (if BestBuy will let me).
I will see what the weekend brings....and if they even have the Samsung in stock
post #9824 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I know and it's killing me trying to have my cake and eat it too..

I think I prefer the sharper picture. The LED's I had were very sharp but the blacks/panel lighting was horrible. I'm thinking of trying the the Samsung and if I can buy it and have both at my house to compare side by side (if BestBuy will let me).
I will see what the weekend brings....and if they even have the Samsung in stock

Do what your eye balls tell you to do. The pne7000 has the same panel as the pne8000. I'm not sure if you care about the extra features the 8000 has but the e7000 is better value.
post #9825 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

A plasma refreshes at 600 MHZ at its normal rate, with this said you can not get motion blur on a plasma.
Technically and by definition that may be true but I don't believe it. That being said, most of the time when people experience motion blur it is due to the source.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9826 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Hi
I don't post to much on this forum but I read almost everything about the Panasonic plasma (ST,GT,VT) and I apologies for being kind of a leach. I have a GT 60 inch with a two weeks window for returning it, I am already on a second set(first one returned for buzzing issues, it had a wonderful picture with deep blacks and crisp colors, no i.r.in the first 100 hours of breaking in with slides and full screen movies). This second set doesn't have the same picture quality, I can see to much green and yellow with the same setting used in the first set and also I was watching with my wife skating (don't laugh) and I noticed how colors were bleeding into the withes of the costumes(brown belt into a white shirt). I don't think that is normal for this kind of tv and I will return it.
My question is: Should I replace it with another set and hope that I will get one with no issues or go for the VT series(65 inch). Does the picture quality deserves another $600( I know that is also an increase in size but I'am not considering this because for me the best size is 60 inch). So what do you guys think? Is the increase in P.Q worth another $600? Is $2500 a good price for the VT 65 inch?(Paul's tv).
Thank you.
post #9827 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I bought a 65vt50 in June 2012 and had it stolen in November. I got a replacement, also a 65vt50, in early January 2013. The new vt50 is a noticeably better picture than the original was. That's both out of the box and (self) calibrated.

I can't tell you if spending the extra money to move up to the vt50 is worth it, but I can tell you that there is variance in picture quality in that line as well.
Roy
post #9828 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Gary, best advice for u:

Life is meant to be experienced...not thought about. Go buy the TV and return it if you don't like it.

I bought a samsung ES7100, didnt liek it returned it for 65VT...and 0 regrets so far...far from regrets, I am amazed at how bad LED was compared to this plasma.
post #9829 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by withstar View Post

Hi
I don't post to much on this forum but I read almost everything about the Panasonic plasma (ST,GT,VT) and I apologies for being kind of a leach. I have a GT 60 inch with a two weeks window for returning it, I am already on a second set(first one returned for buzzing issues, it had a wonderful picture with deep blacks and crisp colors, no i.r.in the first 100 hours of breaking in with slides and full screen movies). This second set doesn't have the same picture quality, I can see to much green and yellow with the same setting used in the first set and also I was watching with my wife skating (don't laugh) and I noticed how colors were bleeding into the withes of the costumes(brown belt into a white shirt). I don't think that is normal for this kind of tv and I will return it.
My question is: Should I replace it with another set and hope that I will get one with no issues or go for the VT series(65 inch). Does the picture quality deserves another $600( I know that is also an increase in size but I'am not considering this because for me the best size is 60 inch). So what do you guys think? Is the increase in P.Q worth another $600? Is $2500 a good price for the VT 65 inch?(Paul's tv).
Thank you.
Especially if the right size for you is 60. The pq of the vt will not be significantly better if at all. If you have $600 to spend for pq then get another gt and get it professionally calibrated for less than that.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9830 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Hi all,

Just purchased the 55VT50 in late December and I love it. I want to get it professionally calibrated after a few hundred hours of use. Is there a way that the VT50 can report how many hours its been in use? I didn't see anything in the manual of a code to send to the set that would show total operating hours. If I missed it and you know where I might find the code, much appreciated!

Love the set.
post #9831 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0093 View Post

Hi all,

Just purchased the 55VT50 in late December and I love it. I want to get it professionally calibrated after a few hundred hours of use. Is there a way that the VT50 can report how many hours its been in use? I didn't see anything in the manual of a code to send to the set that would show total operating hours. If I missed it and you know where I might find the code, much appreciated!

Love the set.

Sending PM Link is blocked...

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #9832 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM

What settings for break in.

I just know that orbiter should be on.
and its unavailable in THX Cinema.

So where to start?

Found some settings here maybe.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1339052567

Viewing mode: Professional1
Contrast 36
Brightness 0
Colour: 30
Sharpness: 2
Vivid Color: Off
Eco Off
P-NR Off
Gamma 2.2
Intelligent Frame Creation Off
16:9 Overscan Off
16:9 Overscan Off
R-Gain +1
G-Gain -3
B-Gain 4
R-Cutoff 0
G-Cutoff -2
B-Cutoff +1
post #9833 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Sending PM Link is blocked...

Shoot me the same PM with that info if you can.

Thanks
post #9834 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Shoot me the same PM with that info if you can.

Thanks

Be warned...you don't want to touch anything else while in the Service Menu. If uncertain about this...DON'T DO IT!

Press and hold the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA TV.
Then press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times.

"Start Adjustment Menu" message will be displayed followed
by the Service Menu after few seconds.

{1} & {2} buttons move through options

Press the {2} button once to select "SRV-TOOL".

Then press the {OK} button to access it.

Using the cursor keys, highlight the right side
of the last item "PTCT :00.00.00.00.00" : (This means highlight the blank square to the right of this - the bottom right cell)

Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.

Time and Count will be displayed in red color:

TIME = Hours : Minutes of operation.
COUNT = Times the Plasma was powered on.

To exit, unplug the power cable.

post #9835 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Be warned...you don't want to touch anything else while in the Service Menu. If uncertain about this...DON'T DO IT!

Press and hold the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA TV.
Then press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times.

"Start Adjustment Menu" message will be displayed followed
by the Service Menu after few seconds.

{1} & {2} buttons move through options

Press the {2} button once to select "SRV-TOOL".

Then press the {OK} button to access it.

Using the cursor keys, highlight the right side
of the last item "PTCT :00.00.00.00.00" : (This means highlight the blank square to the right of this - the bottom right cell)

Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.

Time and Count will be displayed in red color:

TIME = Hours : Minutes of operation.
COUNT = Times the Plasma was powered on.

To exit, unplug the power cable.

Or hold power button for 5-7 sec to exit.
post #9836 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Hey guys, just got a new 65vt50. I'm having a couple of issues with my tv, just wondering if normal. I noticed blacks on tv look grainy or snowy when close to the tv and buzz when there is a bright scene. Anyone else experienced this?
post #9837 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locdog33 View Post

Or hold power button for 5-7 sec to exit.

Oh...the power button on the TV, not the remote to be clear. Didn't know about that method. Much better than pulling the power!

post #9838 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

If you don't like your VT50 just get a refund. Get one for that 20 times over charged HDMI cable. You will be a lot smarter shopper if you learn about "edge enhancement" and what a HDMI cable need to do to be perfect. Any HDMI cable from $3.50 to $350 will work exactly the same over fairly short distances -- three to fifteen feet for sure. Real sharpness is in the creation process of the source material you are watching, and into what's done to it before it reaches your TV. Edge enhancement is a distortion of the original source material designed to fool some into thinking they are seeing a "sharper" image.

Any device that scales SD sources for display on a HD TV, including the TV, can effect the picture quality in a negative or positive manor. Blu-ray source material should be displayed just as it's translated from the shinny disk without any player, DVR, AVR, or TV messing with it.
scirica likes this.

Calibration Resources:

post #9839 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you don't like your VT50 just get a refund. Get one for that 20 times over charged HDMI cable. You will be a lot smarter shopper if you learn about "edge enhancement" and what a HDMI cable need to do to be perfect. Any HDMI cable from $3.50 to $350 will work exactly the same over fairly short distances -- three to fifteen feet for sure. Real sharpness is in the creation process of the source material you are watching, and into what's done to it before it reaches your TV. Edge enhancement is a distortion of the original source material designed to fool some into thinking they are seeing a "sharper" image.

Any device that scales SD sources for display on a HD TV, including the TV, can effect the picture quality in a negative or positive manor. Blu-ray source material should be displayed just as it's translated from the shinny disk without any player, DVR, AVR, or TV messing with it.

Well said my friend!

post #9840 of 13720 Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50

They can fool me all they want! I happen to perfer it.

There are hundreds of members using a similar method

And paying hundreds of dollars for it over at the Darby Darblet thread

Some pay for enhanced processing with Blu Ray players.

It all comes down to personal preferance!

Some like it , some do not.

I like my martinis dry, steak med. raresmile.gif

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page