Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 337 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10081 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone notice scaling off a bit on the vt50. In THX modes it corrects itself to fit the screen then I go back to custom and its fine. Every time I turn the TV on I have to do this with bluray or cable. I have aspect ratio at full : size 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel View Post

I'm hoping to order a VT soon, and am wondering if there is any consensus on which 3D glasses are best, especially for those (like me) that wear prescriptions glasses. Are the Panasonic glasses the way to go, or is there any alternative? I need only a pair or two, so I'm less concerned with cost than quality...

Thanks in advance!
The original Panasonic 3D glasses. They are around $50 per pair.
post #10083 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

You should be able to set it up using the HDMI ARC port.

OK, I confess to not knowing what you mean. I presently have one HDMI that goes from the TV's HDMI1 to my Onkyo A/V's HDMI-OUT.
post #10084 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

OK, I confess to not knowing what you mean. I presently have one HDMI that goes from the TV's HDMI1 to my Onkyo A/V's HDMI-OUT.

The ARC port is the HDMI 2 port on your VT50.

post #10085 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

That I know. I meant that I don't know what you mean when you say connecting it to the ARC port will suffice. I confess that I'm unknowledgeable about its significance here.
post #10086 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

That I know. I meant that I don't know what you mean when you say connecting it to the ARC port will suffice. I confess that I'm unknowledgeable about its significance here.
ARC ("audio return channel") provides a pathway for audio initiated FROM THE TV to be sent to the AVR. So the TV actually is another SOURCE device connected to the AVR, where sound can then be delivered to the speakers in your sound system which are connected to and managed by the AVR.

Just like with all other source devices connected to the AVR (which normally provide both audio and video, for distribution by the AVR on to both HDTV for video and speakers for audio), with ARC the TV itself (in this case, the Skype application) becomes the source device for audio-only, delivering that audio back over the same [2-way] HDMI cable connected from the AVR to HDMI-2 input on the VT50. HDMI-2 input is the port on the Panny which is built to support this ARC (i.e. "reverse audio") method of delivering audio from Panny to AVR via that same HDMI cable normally used to deliver video from AVR to Panny.

Check the manual on your AVR to see how to make use of ARC. You'll then turn on the AVR and hear the sound from Skype via your AVR's audio system and speakers, while watching the Skype video on the Panny. Presumably that Panny webcam you just bought has a microphone in it as well as a camera, just like pretty much all webcams do.
post #10087 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 PM

Liked: 12
I have just cancelled my order for the 65gt in favor of the 65vt. I was able to get it for less than $300 more than the gt. what are some of the issues folks are having with their sets? Buzzing? Ir?

Besides cnet, anyone have pic settings they would like to share?
post #10088 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

I have just cancelled my order for the 65gt in favor of the 65vt. I was able to get it for less than $300 more than the gt. what are some of the issues folks are having with their sets? Buzzing? Ir?

Glad you made the choice you did, congrats. If I were you I'd spend some time reading the thread rather than ask people to repeat what's been repeated here many times. Know that you've purchased what many consider to be THE top television of 2012, regardless of the occasional issue reported here.

Cheers!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #10089 of 13696 Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

That's an awesome deal. I would have kept my VT had the price been that close. But I upgraded size and had to "downgrade" model. After owning both the GT and VT sets. It really comes down to personal preference IMO. After proper calibration. Both sets look practically identical. The VT blacks are just a tiny bit darker then the GT. But I don't think you need blacker blacks. Both blend completely into the bezel.

Either way. Congrats! You'll be happy!
post #10090 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

ARC ("audio return channel") provides a pathway for audio initiated FROM THE TV to be sent to the AVR. So the TV actually is another SOURCE device connected to the AVR, where sound can then be delivered to the speakers in your sound system which are connected to and managed by the AVR.

Just like with all other source devices connected to the AVR (which normally provide both audio and video, for distribution by the AVR on to both HDTV for video and speakers for audio), with ARC the TV itself (in this case, the Skype application) becomes the source device for audio-only, delivering that audio back over the same [2-way] HDMI cable connected from the AVR to HDMI-2 input on the VT50. HDMI-2 input is the port on the Panny which is built to support this ARC (i.e. "reverse audio") method of delivering audio from Panny to AVR via that same HDMI cable normally used to deliver video from AVR to Panny.

Check the manual on your AVR to see how to make use of ARC. You'll then turn on the AVR and hear the sound from Skype via your AVR's audio system and speakers, while watching the Skype video on the Panny. Presumably that Panny webcam you just bought has a microphone in it as well as a camera, just like pretty much all webcams do.

OK, now I understand it better. Thanks.

Now I just have to hope I have an input available to use on the Onkyo A/V. After all, I've got 4 DirecTV receivers, 1 Blu-Ray player, a Roku device, and some other gizmo all connected already.

BTW, on my A/V, the HDMI-OUT is listed as "OUT-MAIN ARC". Do you recommend connecting an additional HDMI cable from an open HDMI input on my A/V into the Panny's ARC HDMI port, or should I switch the current HDMI cable that runs from my Onkyo to the Panny HDMI-1 to the Panny's HDMI-ARC?
post #10091 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Do you recommend connecting an additional HDMI cable from an open HDMI input on my A/V into the Panny's ARC HDMI port, or should I switch the current HDMI cable that runs from my Onkyo to the Panny HDMI-1 to the Panny's HDMI-ARC?
Just move that current HDMI cable currently running from the Onkyo to the Panny's [non-ARC] HDMI-1 over to [ARC-enabled] HDMI-2 and you're all set. That will accomplish everything required. You need to be using an ARC-enabled HDMI port (which is actually an output port on the AVR) on the AVR in order to receive audio back over that same cable, being sent by an ARC-enabled (for audio output) HDMI input port on the HDTV.

With the use of HDMI-2 in (and out via ARC) on the Panny, and the HDMI output of the Onkyo (already designated as ARC-enabled) in use as well, you're now all set to go. The only unknown (to me) is what you do on the Onkyo to enable that ARC source for audio, coming back from the Panny and its Skype application.

For normal video delivered from Onkyo to the Panny there is no difference between using HDMI-1 and HDMI-2. Only difference is that using ARC-enabled HDMI-2 allows the same HDMI cable to be the "reverse audio" pathway back to the ARC-enabled HDMI output port on the AVR from the Panny, for delivery of audio FROM the Panny TO the Onkyo.
post #10092 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The original Panasonic 3D glasses. They are around $50 per pair.
Where are u seeing 50 at?

And is there a limit as to how many you can use at one time with this set?
I thought maybe it was 6, or is it more?
post #10093 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
I upgraded from my 36" non-HD Sony Trinitron CRT to the 55GT50 after much research and the great information here as well as some other locations. After a week I noticed 1 blue pixel stuck on just off center and it was noticeable enough that I opened a case and it was set to be replaced. Thing is the 55GT50 was sold out at PaulsTV, but similar to some others I was offered the 55VT50 for $100 more and jumped at the opportunity (one lucky guy did get his at no upcharge, but oh well).

It came in yesterday and I have to say this is the best TV out there. IR is a non issue after break-in as I found with the GT50 and as many have said, don't go looking for it. Strangely, my GT50 had a slight buzz on an all white screen, but it was not audible during normal use where as the VT50, which has 3 fans, has no buzz in any instance. I guess I can see where some have and others don't, but if it is so minimal in normal use that you can't hear it I don't see it as an issue.

I'm about 8 hours into normal varied content and will throw D-Nice settings after 100+ hours, but this set and series (including the GT and ST) are amazing! So happy to get on this amazing bandwagon.
post #10094 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Here's something that is confusing and ought to be addressed.

I only get PCM 48 output with external devices using the optical out to my Dolby compatible receiver not Dolby.

If I use the built in Netflix or any of the VT50s apps that are in Dolby Digital I get Dolby Digital. If I use any external device connected via HDMI like an Apple TV or a cable box that I am sure is outputting DD 5.1 I only get PCM 48 through the optical out.

I could connect three devices directly to the receiver and have DD for those devices, but then I would not have any audio for any of the Viera stuff.

My question: Is it possible to get the VT50 to output Dolby Digital when using external devices connected via HDMI?

If not, why?
post #10095 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Hi everybody,

I've been researching TVs to death and was waiting patiently for the ST50 to get to $1000, then I waited for the GT50 to get to $1000. I was thinking the VT50 was a bit out of my price range, so I didn't check out much at Best Buy. I've made several trips, and on Friday I checked out the VT50 and, man, that picture is out of sight. I went back and forth between the two Magnolia home theatre rooms to look at both the VT50 and GT50 - even used "The Dark Knight" on both to compare. I noticed the picture on the GT50 was severely lacking in comparison, but I discovered that it was only connected via component cables, while the VT50 was run via HDMI. Since I couldn't get an accurate assessment, does anyone have any useful feedback as far as differences? The cheapest I've seen the VT50 is around $1600. The VT50 really blew me away, but is it $600 better than the GT50? Has anyone done a real comparison on an even playing field and have any thoughts as far as the disparity between the two? Thanks for any input!
post #10096 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywind View Post

Hi everybody,

I've been researching TVs to death and was waiting patiently for the ST50 to get to $1000, then I waited for the GT50 to get to $1000. I was thinking the VT50 was a bit out of my price range, so I didn't check out much at Best Buy. I've made several trips, and on Friday I checked out the VT50 and, man, that picture is out of sight. I went back and forth between the two Magnolia home theatre rooms to look at both the VT50 and GT50 - even used "The Dark Knight" on both to compare. I noticed the picture on the GT50 was severely lacking in comparison, but I discovered that it was only connected via component cables, while the VT50 was run via HDMI. Since I couldn't get an accurate assessment, does anyone have any useful feedback as far as differences? The cheapest I've seen the VT50 is around $1600. The VT50 really blew me away, but is it $600 better than the GT50? Has anyone done a real comparison on an even playing field and have any thoughts as far as the disparity between the two? Thanks for any input!

You should be able to narrow that gap in price. I paid $2475 for my 65vt50 from best buy.
post #10097 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if somebody can do me a quick favor. I got my VT50 couple of weeks ago, and I just noticed that there is no visible difference at all as I start increasing contrast above 84-85 or so...So, picture looks the same at 84 or so and 95. This is happens on all picture settings, but on some contrast stop changing on 83-84, on some 86-87...Can anyone check if their unit does the same?
post #10098 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfc bgd View Post

Hello all,

I was wondering if somebody can do me a quick favor. I got my VT50 couple of weeks ago, and I just noticed that there is no visible difference at all as I start increasing contrast above 84-85 or so...So, picture looks the same at 84 or so and 95. This is happens on all picture settings, but on some contrast stop changing on 83-84, on some 86-87...Can anyone check if their unit does the same?

I just checked and if there is a change above 84 it is very subtle. I think it would also what your settings are. I check mine on custom using the cnet settings. http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-564711/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-picture-settings/

I posted a question about HDMI in and optical audio out 3 posts up. If you know anything about it let me know.
post #10099 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

The only unknown (to me) is what you do on the Onkyo to enable that ARC source for audio, coming back from the Panny and its Skype application.

That's what I'm going to have to figure out as well. I don't know if I need to adjust anything in the Onkyo's settings or what. I'm sure I will, because when I turn on the Skype camera, the audio I hear is whatever channel my DirecTV receiver was last on.
post #10100 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdominic View Post

I just checked and if there is a change above 84 it is very subtle. I think it would also what your settings are. I check mine on custom using the cnet settings. http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-564711/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-picture-settings/

I posted a question about HDMI in and optical audio out 3 posts up. If you know anything about it let me know.

Answered your previous question on the "other" forum, but here it is:

No, it's not possible to get DD routing external sources through the TV. You'll still get it over optical for the Viera apps (those that support it) and OTA, though.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #10101 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

That's what I'm going to have to figure out as well. I don't know if I need to adjust anything in the Onkyo's settings or what. I'm sure I will, because when I turn on the Skype camera, the audio I hear is whatever channel my DirecTV receiver was last on.

Hi Lord Vader, to enable ARC in receiver go to "Hardware Setup" menu, turn on HDMI Control and ARC.
post #10102 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Randy, not that price discussion is even appropriate in this forum, but one should not need to haggle to get a 55VT50 from BB/Magnolia for 2200 since it is their current sale price.

I got my 55VT50 from best buy/Magnolia 3 weeks ago for 1699.
post #10103 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:

You should be able to narrow that gap in price. I paid $2475 for my 65vt50 from best buy.

I hope so. Best Buy had it on sale for $1788 (approx,) and today was the last day of the weekly sale. The cheapest I've seen it is at Paul's TV and a couple other online retailers. I'm wondering if $1600 is the lowest it's going to go.... I've got my eyes peeled.

Oh, and I should've read a few posts up before posting - someone mentioned both the GT50 and VT50 looked almost identical after calibration. That being said, let me know if anyone else has any opinions out there!
post #10104 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

No, it's not possible to get DD routing external sources through the TV. You'll still get it over optical for the Viera apps (those that support it) and OTA, though.

So if I use digi optical cable for my devices directly to my receiver, how would I then get the audio for Viera to my amp? ARC?
post #10105 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM

I just bought a vt50 55", excited to set it up and even more excited I got it for 1600 with 2yr protection.
post #10106 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So if I use digi optical cable for my devices directly to my receiver, how would I then get the audio for Viera to my amp? ARC?

If your receiver is HDMI and ARC compatible, run your devices to the receiver via HDMI and the HDMI out from your receiver to the TV's ARC input/output (HDMI 2) and you're all set.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #10107 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywind View Post

I hope so. Best Buy had it on sale for $1788 (approx,) and today was the last day of the weekly sale. The cheapest I've seen it is at Paul's TV and a couple other online retailers. I'm wondering if $1600 is the lowest it's going to go.... I've got my eyes peeled.

Oh, and I should've read a few posts up before posting - someone mentioned both the GT50 and VT50 looked almost identical after calibration. That being said, let me know if anyone else has any opinions out there!

They should be able to match paulstv (including the coupon). They gave it to me for $25 leas than what paulstv had it listed at (including the coupon). All you have to do is ask. Also amazon will match paulstv
post #10108 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 351
Quote:

Before you drive yourself crazy like jimp, you should realize that very few devices have both apps for Netflix and amazon instant video that allow 5.1 sound to flw thru and Vierra apps are no exception. At best you'll get 5.1 from one of the 2 mentioned apps. There are rokus ad a very select few good bluray players ( a handful of Sony s ) that will stream 1080 p AND 5.1 for BOTH Netflix and amazon. Very confusing and frustrating as I know from personal experience.
post #10109 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Before you drive yourself crazy like jimp, you should realize that very few devices have both apps for Netflix and amazon instant video that allow 5.1 sound to flw thru and Vierra apps are no exception. At best you'll get 5.1 from one of the 2 mentioned apps. There are rokus ad a very select few good bluray players ( a handful of Sony s ) that will stream 1080 p AND 5.1 for BOTH Netflix and amazon. Very confusing and frustrating as I know from personal experience.

Add to that the interface for streaming apps on the VT50 is just terrible, a Roku or other streaming device is the way to go.

Looky here!
post #10110 of 13696 Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last week Paul's offered me a 55"VT50 for $1497
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page