post #991 of 13657 Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Another member posted this and I just wanted to ask if anyone could confirm. FWIW I have a 58PZ850 and IR has been a non-issue in the three plus years I've had it with mostly movie and game use.

Panasonic went to a faster moving phosphor I found out which is much more prone to IR and burn in.

The notion that burn in is likely, common or anything more than rare is an urban legend. Anyone stating something else is simply wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

Another stellar 55VT50 review over at the UK "AV Forums":

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pana...04/Review.html

The reports on the color/greyscale are just wow.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 13657 Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Isn't the 'VE-Shootout' this weekend?

Yeah it is I think

Does any one know when results become available
post #993 of 13657 Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by korn646 View Post

As requested! Loving the TV so far...

Well done sir, that looks very clean and just plain beautiful, you must be a happy camper! Amazing how much of a difference that mount makes bringing it in so close to the wall... makes mine look like a damn CRT just about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The notion that burn in is likely, common or anything more than rare is an urban legend. Anyone stating something else is simply wrong.

That's what I'd thought and experienced with my display I was just wondering if there were any differences in the phosphors in the VT50 as claimed by the other member and if they are not susceptible burn in necessarily but perhaps exhibiting IR or HIR more so than models such as mine.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #994 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

That's what I'd thought and experienced with my display I was just wondering if there were any differences in the phosphors in the VT50 as claimed by the other member and if they are not susceptible burn in necessarily but perhaps exhibiting IR or HIR more so than models such as mine.

Some people do silly things during the initial hours of use that can result in IR, but mixing the types of source material will take care of any IR in a reasonable amount of time.

If you simply switch to one of the tame modes and watch some full screen material before you go into the setup screens, you'll miss all the excitement. There really isn't any reason to spend a lot of time in the setup menus, or to be doing long gaming sessions during the first couple of hundred hours. After that, variety is your friend.
post #995 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovian View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and want to thank everyone for their contributions. I've been enjoying the discussions. I'm taking delivery of a P65VT50 tomorrow and planning to run D-nice's slides. Do you all think it prudent to run them for 100 consecutive hours or would it be wise to break it up. Cheers

Quote:

Breaking it up is fine. I ran them at night when sleeping and while at work when my tv was new, other than that it was regular mixed movies and cable content... no IR issues.

If you're going to have it professionally calibrated then don't run the slides.

If you're going to calibrate it yourself then don't run the slides and do a tune-up when you think it's necessary.

If you're going to use D-Nice's settings then run the slides right, don't watch any tv or use the apps etc until after 100 hours of slides and then apply the settings, if D-Nice ever posts them. Be sure to read the directions for the 2012 settings before starting since you'll need to ensure that it;s in the right mode.

I intend to have mine calibrated much later and so I am just enjoying the view.

The only purpose the slides serve is to age the pixels and to bring your set closer to the state in which D-Nice's panel was in when he calibrated his set. During the passage of time some things may change requiring tweaking, such as pushing more red etc. The first 100 hours of running slides will produce some changes in that perspective but it doesn't mean that as time passes the tv won't need additional tweaks.

Running slides does not prevent IR.

post #996 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

Another stellar 55VT50 review over at the UK "AV Forums":

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pana...04/Review.html

I think I detected a slight dig at the Kuro (and Kuro fanatics) in the first few sentences of that review...

"The P55VT50B is a fantastic display that delivers the kind of images that enthusiasts are looking for, without the need to resort to expensive professional monitors or second hand TVs with none of today's modern features"
post #997 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
That thud you will hear next week is the price of Sharp Elites dropping.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #998 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I think I detected a slight dig at the Kuro (and Kuro fanatics) in the first few sentences of that review...

"The P55VT50B is a fantastic display that delivers the kind of images that enthusiasts are looking for, without the need to resort to expensive professional monitors or second hand TVs with none of today's modern features"

Pshaw. "Modern features".

post #999 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswadsworth View Post

Has anyone found a good comparison between the TC-p65VT50 and the Samsung UN65ES8000?
Everyone certainly sounds happy with the P65VT50. I have been happy with Panasonic until a 65 developed a red dashed line across the screen after 18 months. I think is was a p2; 2010 model at any rate.
Tom

No need for a comparison in this case, the Samsung is an edge lit LED that would not stand a chance against one of the best plasma's ever made. The Sony XBR and the Sharp Elites, which are local dimming, would give it a run though.
post #1000 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
@Chad B,

Did you get a chance to calibrate the VT50 with ControlCal?
Any post Cal improvements versus the Calman software?
post #1001 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

I concur. I have last years TC-P54G25 that is extremely susceptible to IR. Even 5 minutes pause on Netflix queue, for example, will produce an image. Initially shocked and concerned, I quickly learned that these concerns were not necessary, as normal viewing would remove the resulting shadow images, and there was never an effect on the picture quality. I see IR often, but it has never become permanent burn in.

Based on the fact that I believe I did everything right (and continue to) in the initial weeks of owning the set, IR is a common occurrence that no amount of breakin will alleviate.

post #1002 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Some random thoughts on my VT.... The best looking mode (to me) without tweaking any settings seems to be THX Bright... however it's a bit too bright at night, and the THX regular mode seems too dim regardless. I tried to get to a similar picture in custom mode, but didn't have much success last night. To me 96hz with 24p material has waaaaay too much flicker, so setting the tv to 60hz seems to be best for me.

The ARC works fine for me with my Onkyo 709 - just took some tinkering to make it work.

I get some light buzzing on bright scenes, but it's barely noticeable at all. I figure this will be better when the panel brightness is dialed down some. I doubt most would even hear it, my GF couldn't.

I enabled the Pure Direct function but didn't see any difference in picture with my new Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BDT220.

This concludes my random thoughts for now - wish I could go home and tinker some more...

65VT50
NR809
TSI500
CS20
RC85i
SB13 Ultra
post #1003 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

...I tried to get to a similar picture in custom mode, but didn't have much success last night. To me 96hz with 24p material has waaaaay too much flicker, so setting the tv to 60hz seems to be best for me.

On the UT50, I was able to get all modes to look like Cinema mode by setting the HDMI Content Type = Graphics.

You might want to try that.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #1004 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No need for a comparison in this case, the Samsung is an edge lit LED that would not stand a chance against one of the best plasma's ever made. The Sony XBR and the Sharp Elites, which are local dimming, would give it a run though.

Many thanks Chris
I hear the answer to my question loud and clear; I need a p65vt50.
Tom
post #1005 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM

The Precious
LL
post #1006 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

On the UT50, I was able to get all modes to look like Cinema mode by setting the HDMI Content Type = Graphics.

- Rich

Thank you i'll try that tonight

65VT50
NR809
TSI500
CS20
RC85i
SB13 Ultra
post #1007 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
There has been talk of the Samsung plasmas looking sharper than the Panasonics. Anyone thats compared the two have anything to say? I really prefer the Panasonic but I'm worried it will look a little soft.

Just found out about the undefeatable edge enhancement! Guess that could be causing the difference in sharpness. Hopefully Panasonic can fix it!

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #1008 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

There has been talk of the Samsung plasmas looking sharper than the Panasonics. Anyone thats compared the two have anything to say? I really prefer the Panasonic but I'm worried it will look a little soft.

Just found out about the undefeatable edge enhancement! Guess that could be causing the difference in sharpness. Hopefully Panasonic can fix it!

Ok, after this I guess I can stop beating the dead dog with the broken stick...

Who gives a sh** what the 'shootout' determines? Seriously, I wager most are awaiting a result so they can justify the next 6 months of their lives until OLED pops up and starts the whole cycle over again...

Trust your eyes... if you like what you see and feel you got your money's worth is that enough?

One man's picasso is another's pile of junk.

Although I have to agree with you on that sammy image looking sharper than the panny.. (kidding, well not really, but you know what I mean) after directly comparing the two in different lighting conditions
post #1009 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Sounds fixable if they choose to fix it. Odd that such a thing slipped through QC in the first place, but my guess is that the EE isn't very severe.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #1010 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

@Chad B,

Did you get a chance to calibrate the VT50 with ControlCal?
Any post Cal improvements versus the Calman software?

There are zero issues with ControlCAL and the VT50. The VT50 for the shootout has been calibrated perfectly... of course the CMS luminance controls do not work... and won't make a real difference when it is actually fixed. That's how good it is post cal
post #1011 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Sounds fixable if they choose to fix it. Odd that such a thing slipped through QC in the first place, but my guess is that the EE isn't very severe.

I was going to purchase the 65 inch VT50 tomorrow. Now, I've decided to wait, based on the Edge Enhancement problem. I'd like to know what professional calibrators have to say concerning this comparison between Panny and Sammy.
post #1012 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I like stands like that one. Anyone looking for a nice stand for a super price check this Whalen stand at BB. It's already put together and is solid wood. It's on close out for 250.00. This is what my 65VT50 is on.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Whalen+F...&skuId=8781366
post #1013 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM

could you post any calibration settings if you have them
post #1014 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicol117 View Post

could you post any calibration settings if you have them

I will try to post some this weekend as Saturday I hope to spend some time calibrating mine. I have done a "quickie" on it out of the box but it's running through a Radiance Mini so the settings will be different.
I want to bypass the Mini and get some true readings.
It will be Monday at the latest.

Mike

post #1015 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

What mount are you using?
post #1016 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Went back to Best Buy today to tinker with the VT50 and Elite some more. Much better results with the Elite this time around. Boy did Best Buy have that thing all wrong. I plugged in the cnet settings and the red push was gone, motion was good, and the PQ looked great. Backgrounds looked noisy unless FluidMotion was on though. I have no idea why this is but again going back and forth between the VT50 there was a big difference here as the VT50 backgrounds were nice and mushy. I don't quite know how to describe it but it was discouraging.

I also put the VT50 on 1080p pure mode and 96hz which did introduce some flicker in bright scenes. Really a tough choice between these two displays, they both look pretty fantastic and have very solid strengths.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #1017 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

There are zero issues with ControlCAL and the VT50. The VT50 for the shootout has been calibrated perfectly... of course the CMS luminance controls do not work... and won't make a real difference when it is actually fixed. That's how good it is post cal

Thanks for the update.. Almost done with break-in period..
So far I'm impressed with the overall picture quality.

I saw the pics posted on VE site . Looks like you guys are hard at work getting those panels close to perfect.
Looking forward to the results this weekend.
post #1018 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me 96hz with 24p material has waaaaay too much flicker, so setting the tv to 60hz seems to be best for me....

Why would 96Hz have more flicker than 60Hz? I thought the higher refresh the less flicker?

post #1019 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich

What does that change I wonder? Anyone else tested this?

post #1020 of 13657 Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

What does that change I wonder? Anyone else tested this?

On my GT30, it fixed the Gamma so that whites were no longer crushed.
Contrast had to be turned up to achieve the same light output.
Custom mode and other modes can be made to look like THX mode, only brighter.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page