Forum Jump: 

post #10621 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive_Turkey View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I don't think i'm even close to 50MB, so it sounds like network drive is the way to go. I think the PS3 shouldn't have a problem with the mkv and it sounds like that is the route you've taken, but I think i'd rather find a way to network the drive either through the airport or maybe even buy a network drove and connect straight to the TV. In that case, which video formats work best with the VT50?

I stream from my PS3, so I'll try to give my 2 cents.

My PS3 and my Windows 8 PC are both hardwired to my router via Cat6 cable. On my PS3, I'm running the free PS3 Media Server. You will be fine streaming SD Xvid/Divx files wirelessly, maybe even some 720p mkv files. BUT, to stream 1080p mkv files, you're going to want to do it over a wired connection. If all you can do is WiFi, you may want to look into a Powerline Network Adapter (like from Lynksys). I am using one to stream to my upstairs bedroom's PS3 because running a hardwire to that location was going to be a very big undertaking. 1080 files seem to do okay streaming over the Powerline network. The PS3 will not stream the mkv files natively, that is why the free PS3 Media Server program is needed, in order to transcode the file to something agreeable to the PS3.

I have played around with streaming directly to the VT50 without the use of the PS3. The DNLA option on the VT50 can see my PS3 Media Server running on my PC, and I can access the files and stream, but for a lot of the 1080p movies I have, the audio is DTS, and the VT50 doesn't seem to support streaming DTS audio natively.

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.

***Listing my HT gear in my signature on this board will make me feel like a puny, girlie man. Listen to me now but hear me later***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

So we are watching the same thing, Directv channels 619, 620, 621 primarily. I'd just play around with your resolution options and see what works. I like to output native (720p or 1080i) from my Dtv receiver and then convert to 1080p once in my A/V receiver (Anthem MRX). I'm not positive that is the best option, but it works for me. Are you running HDMI from Dtv direct to TV or through a receiver? I'd just play a little bit until you find what works. Let me know what you find!

Yeah I run HDMI from Directv box into the TV.
post #10623 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

They are not on this site; he posts them on another web site. To assist in the setup of my 55VT50, I created this document from the post on the site:

Panasonic 55VT50 D-Nice Picture Settings - **************.com - 2012-03-11.docx 23k .docx file

Thanks for posting the word doc. I have been running slides for about 20hrs and didn't realize that I was supposed to turn off the pixel orbiter. Hopefully that running the slides with it on didn't do any damage. I did notice the left and right borders were slightly different sizes when running slides, but now that I turned it off they are equal.

Did I do any damage by not turning the pixel orbiter off?

Also, after break in is complete, do you turn the pixel orbiter back on?
post #10624 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenaceAVS View Post

Thanks for posting the word doc. I have been running slides for about 20hrs and didn't realize that I was supposed to turn off the pixel orbiter. Hopefully that running the slides with it on didn't do any damage. I did notice the left and right borders were slightly different sizes when running slides, but now that I turned it off they are equal.

Did I do any damage by not turning the pixel orbiter off?

Also, after break in is complete, do you turn the pixel orbiter back on?
You have done no damage and you can use it later if you want to, or not.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #10625 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:

So we are watching the same thing, Directv channels 619, 620, 621 primarily. I'd just play around with your resolution options and see what works. I like to output native (720p or 1080i) from my Dtv receiver and then convert to 1080p once in my A/V receiver (Anthem MRX). I'm not positive that is the best option, but it works for me. Are you running HDMI from Dtv direct to TV or through a receiver? I'd just play a little bit until you find what works. Let me know what you find!

Another soccer fan here! Those are the channels I watch all the time on my VT50 (In addition to Telemundo and Univision). smile.gif

I won't miss El clasico tomorrow:D
post #10626 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM

I've done the full D-Nice calibration settings and am ready to go, but it appears I have the vertical line issue.

It's off to the right of the screen and about 1 inch thick. It's pretty faint, but it's there - can see it on gray and white slides. The section is a bit lighter than the rest of the screen. I didn't know anything about this until I did a search and found threads relating to this problem - most posts seem to be from months ago and, while they provided a lot of different input, I didn't see any actual resolution or fixes (some exchanging multiple times with same problem, others don't have it, some say it's banding, others say it's a manufacturer defect, it gets worse/it improves, etc.). My TV is a November model. Is this something that plagued earlier 2012 models and shouldn't really be happening now, or is it a commonality that you just have to accept?

I actually noticed it from the beginning when I began running the slides, but figured it was just some weirdness that would go away (I'm a noob - my first plasma). I don't mean to sound like someone who is going to be pixel peeping the entire time I own the TV, but that being said, I want to make sure my model is as good as it can be. If this is some flaw that will eventually warrant a return, I'd love to know. Perhaps it eventually goes away?

I'll continure to keep a cautious eye on it. Hopefully it will improve after a few hundred hours? I don't know. It's still within the 30 days, but I did get the BB extended warranty.

Aside from this issue, the picture is ridiculous.

ANY useful insight would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to be preoccupied with this issue if I don't need to be.
post #10627 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Apologies in advance for the the following question, which I'm sure has been discussed multiple times. Unfortunately I do not have the time to read the 350+ pages in the thread, so my question is simple: for those who had the 65VT50 for a while now, is there ANYTHING at all I should be aware/concerned of? Rising black levels? Floating blacks? Sets turning themselves off? In short, the usual flaws from ye olde Panasonic Plasmas. Or has Panasonic FINALLY got their act together and is the VT50 series fully recommend by the expert folks here? I ask because I am the owner of a 2010 65V10 model that just recently got hit with the dreaded "black level rise" issue, and I now have a 65", 180lb. behemoth that looks like a mediocre LCD at best. I'm hoping to sell it and would like to jump on a VT50 model, but unfortunately there's not that many left, anywhere. My local Best Buy has only one in stock for $3K, so I'm hoping to make a quick decision based on the feedback here, which I value more than any "official" review. Your advise is greatly appreciated.
post #10628 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
No rising blacks fixed in 2011 no floating blacks and i have never heard of a shutoff issue

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #10629 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

No rising blacks fixed in 2011 no floating blacks and i have never heard of a shutoff issue

Thanks! That's basically what I was looking for. smile.gif
post #10630 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywind View Post

I've done the full D-Nice calibration settings and am ready to go, but it appears I have the vertical line issue.

It's off to the right of the screen and about 1 inch thick. It's pretty faint, but it's there - can see it on gray and white slides. The section is a bit lighter than the rest of the screen. I didn't know anything about this until I did a search and found threads relating to this problem - most posts seem to be from months ago and, while they provided a lot of different input, I didn't see any actual resolution or fixes (some exchanging multiple times with same problem, others don't have it, some say it's banding, others say it's a manufacturer defect, it gets worse/it improves, etc.). My TV is a November model. Is this something that plagued earlier 2012 models and shouldn't really be happening now, or is it a commonality that you just have to accept?

I actually noticed it from the beginning when I began running the slides, but figured it was just some weirdness that would go away (I'm a noob - my first plasma). I don't mean to sound like someone who is going to be pixel peeping the entire time I own the TV, but that being said, I want to make sure my model is as good as it can be. If this is some flaw that will eventually warrant a return, I'd love to know. Perhaps it eventually goes away?

I'll continure to keep a cautious eye on it. Hopefully it will improve after a few hundred hours? I don't know. It's still within the 30 days, but I did get the BB extended warranty.

Aside from this issue, the picture is ridiculous.

ANY useful insight would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to be preoccupied with this issue if I don't need to be.
It is a commonality that you will have to accept. I have never noticed it when watching tv.

post #10631 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelnarc View Post

First time poster!!

After trolling (researching) this thread for the last couple of months I finally decided, purchased and have now received my Panny 65VT50.
It is breathtaking, much thanks to all who have contributed to this thread which help me make my decision.

The last TV that I bought; believe it or not was a supposedly state of the art (was in the movie "The Island") Sony WEGA XBR 50" LCD Projection TV.

This TV is amazing, I am very inexperienced with Plasma and I am sure I will ask some dumb question in the future, but again thanks for this thread it has ben a tremendous help.

Based on my research I am conducting limited viewing to large aspect movies, no letterbox, no gamiing yet and am running slides intermittently for long stretches- 6 hours or more.

So far I have seen no problems whatsoever.

Upgrade to system:
65VT50
Yamaha RX-A810
Klipsch R-52II
Klipsch RC-52II[/quote

Welcome to the club. You won't regret going plasma.
post #10632 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It is a commonality that you will have to accept. I have never noticed it when watching tv.

Gotcha - thanks for the response. Is it something that gets worse, improves, or stays the same?
post #10633 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easywind View Post

Gotcha - thanks for the response. Is it something that gets worse, improves, or stays the same?
Many people say it fades fairly quickly but never quite goes away. That has been my case.

post #10634 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Is it ok to run the vt50 for 24 hrs a day for 5 days? I didn't see a response to someone's earlier post. Thanks guys.
post #10635 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockmed View Post

Is it ok to run the vt50 for 24 hrs a day for 5 days? I didn't see a response to someone's earlier post. Thanks guys.
Sure. Only reason I might be even a little hesitant is if its in a hot environment.

post #10636 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Many people say it fades fairly quickly but never quite goes away. That has been my case.

Thanks for the responses, I noticed only after running the D-Nice slides, on the light grey one. Didn't know what it was. I have yet to be able to notice it at all when viewing any content. So for the "open box" price I paid of $1500 at BB, the 55" VT50, (a return with only 80 hours on it), I'm going to live with this anyways. Granted I could return it, but living one flight up in an apartment building in a big city, by myself, returning a 100 lbs. TV is not all that attractive, and since I could end up with another one with the same issue, it seems illogical to bother with, especially since the panel I got is flawless in every other way. At least I can stop looking for it now. Thanks for the confirmations.
post #10637 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yw If you had not run the slides you would never have known it was there.

post #10638 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Liked: 12
I turned on the tv and the smart viera thing was stuck on the screen. I tried turning the set off, switching inputs, nothing happened. Then after 15 seconda the tv turned off. I turned it on and i got an error message aling the lines of "an error has been detected and resolved". Then it was fine. Anyone seen that before? It happened at the same time my dish box was being re-booted. Should i be concerned?
post #10639 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

I turned on the tv and the smart viera thing was stuck on the screen. I tried turning the set off, switching inputs, nothing happened. Then after 15 seconda the tv turned off. I turned it on and i got an error message aling the lines of "an error has been detected and resolved". Then it was fine. Anyone seen that before? It happened at the same time my dish box was being re-booted. Should i be concerned?
Sounds like a possible handshake issue. Maybe you freaked out the tv by turning it on while the cable box was rebooting. I wouldnt be concerned unless it happens again.

post #10640 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

To most people "detected and resolved" would mean that there is nothing to worry about unless it keeps happening. You should be fine.
post #10641 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Just a quick question to clear one potential issue. Are you watching an international broadast of a soccer match? I notice when I'm watching EPL or European leagues from here in the states the picture suffers. A U.S. broadcast (MLS) looks great and doesn't show this sub-par picture.

This is correct and confirmed. I watch a lot of HD soccer as well and it's totally the broadcast or provider. While the picture still looks good on European Leages , when watching North American soccer , it's stunning no motion blur, you can see the ball spinning beautifully.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #10642 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

You are probably right, with content playing you seldom if ever have the entire right side of your screen in a single grey EVEN tone, to pick up on this imperfection, visually. Still we are all curious beings, and since it does not appear on the left side, and the panel itself is so clean image wise, makes you wonder what the heck it is to begin with. Oh well, too many other things to learn and explore with this new baby.
post #10643 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Sounds like a possible handshake issue. Maybe you freaked out the tv by turning it on while the cable box was rebooting. I wouldnt be concerned unless it happens again.
My sat box is connected via component.
post #10644 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockmed View Post

I actually just finished four straight days of running the slides nonstop. The tv never got hot which was my only concern...not even luke warm which amazed me, as my five year old Panny 700U would heat up fairly quickly even after just a few hours. I just finished entering D-Nice's settings and I'm blown away by the outstanding PQ. I also watched an Imax 3D movie and was in awe. This baby is a keeper!
post #10645 of 13696 Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:

One of the first thoughts going through my mind when I took real notice of it. :-)

Just watched Batman Begins and holy crap this set is awesome.
post #10646 of 13696 Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB173 View Post

I meant my download speed is 50mb and it is not enough to stream 1080p flawlessly.

I formatted my 1tb hd into fat 32. Then convert mkv to mp4. Copy to hd and then plug into ps3. It's a pain but better than wifi. You don't need to reformat if plugging a powered one into the tv. But vt50 can't decode mkv so you have to repackage anyway.

I dug up some of the more detailed specs both online and in the owner's manual and thought I'd post my findings:

Compatible with mkv
USB ports are only 2.0 :-(
Ethernet is NOT gigabit :-(

I'm still running slides so I'll tinker around with the suggestions on the streaming stuff and let you know how it goes.
post #10647 of 13696 Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Rajek View Post

I actually just finished four straight days of running the slides nonstop. The tv never got hot which was my only concern...not even luke warm which amazed me, as my five year old Panny 700U would heat up fairly quickly even after just a few hours. I just finished entering D-Nice's settings and I'm blown away by the outstanding PQ. I also watched an Imax 3D movie and was in awe. This baby is a keeper!
The best TV of 2012 and the second best TV made wink.gif She did not earn these stats for nothing.......
post #10648 of 13696 Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive_Turkey View Post

I dug up some of the more detailed specs both online and in the owner's manual and thought I'd post my findings:

Compatible with mkv
USB ports are only 2.0 :-(
Ethernet is NOT gigabit :-(

I'm still running slides so I'll tinker around with the suggestions on the streaming stuff and let you know how it goes.

Well....
PS3 Media Server over wifi seems to produce the same quality as DLNA streaming does. Can't get .mkv files to work for either one of them. Can't even get them into iTunes nor Windows Media Player. I thought i downloaded a codec for it, but it didn't seem to do anything as far as getting DLNA or PS3 Media Server to recognize them.

As luck would have it, the external hdd crapped out on me just in time, so that won't be an option. But, I did have a decent size SDHC card and i transferred the beginning chapter of an mkv movie file to it from my pc and then plugged it into the TV for a test run. the video quality was amazing, but no audio. I'm not sure how to tell what audio format the file was using, but I'm assuming it was 5.1 or so and it is understandable the TV wouldn't like that.

I searched some more and found some people use handbrake to convert to mp4. I know the file sizes between mkv and mp4 are usually different, but from what i can tell, it is because the mkv files usually have multiple formats bunched up into the file and most of them use the same H.264 video that Mp4 uses, so i think the video quality will be the same.

The question this leaves me with for now is: What audio option should i go with? I'm not using a receiver for now, but will in the future. If i pick DTS-HD pass thru, i'm wondering if that will let the TV take what it can and "pass" the rest to a receiver (eventually)
post #10649 of 13696 Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 AM

Has anybody had any issues from running d-nice slides? I am getting my 65tv50 TV on 3/5 and calibration is set for 3/11. I talked to my calibrator and he said just to run full screen programming for 100 hours before calibration. the only problem is I'm not sure if I will be able to get that many hours on the set in that short of a time without using the slides. I though about just running a bluray the whole time, not sure if the OPPO BDP 103 has a repeat function? So the disc would just start over from the beginning once the movie is over, anybody know if that is the case. channels like HBO would be okay except for the logo at the bottom and some of their movies still play with black bars on top and bottom. Anybody have any other suggestions to get the hours on the set?
post #10650 of 13696 Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstudey01 View Post

Has anybody had any issues from running d-nice slides? I am getting my 65tv50 TV on 3/5 and calibration is set for 3/11. I talked to my calibrator and he said just to run full screen programming for 100 hours before calibration. the only problem is I'm not sure if I will be able to get that many hours on the set in that short of a time without using the slides. I though about just running a bluray the whole time, not sure if the OPPO BDP 103 has a repeat function? So the disc would just start over from the beginning once the movie is over, anybody know if that is the case. channels like HBO would be okay except for the logo at the bottom and some of their movies still play with black bars on top and bottom. Anybody have any other suggestions to get the hours on the set?
The slides are perfectly safe.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page