post #10891 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I am having similar issues with my gt50.. I have had it since last July.. As soon as I turn it on, and the "Smart Viera" logo pops up, for no more than 2 seconds,, I sometimes see it stay on the screen for a few minutes after..

I think we all see that. I see it when navigating my br players home screen or netflix for tiny bit, but I've never seen anything once starting any actual content and certainly don't see it even on the menu after the content is over. I'm actually overjoyed that this is what IR really is, since I was one of the scared ones that purchased an LCD with uniformity issues because of the threat of deadly IR biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I think we all see that. I see it when navigating my br players home screen or netflix for tiny bit, but I've never seen anything once starting any actual content and certainly don't see it even on the menu after the content is over. I'm actually overjoyed that this is what IR really is, since I was one of the scared ones that purchased an LCD with uniformity issues because of the threat of deadly IR biggrin.gif

The only IR I've seen so far (about 200 hours in) was when watching the Star Trek (2009) Blu Ray after getting my TV calibrated. At the beginning of the movie when the opening title cards run, the "Bad Robot" text was visible on the screen for several seconds after that title card faded. It was completely gone within 30 seconds or so. The black bars from the movie left no visible IR, nor have I seen any other instances of it in normal viewing.

post #10893 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBoston View Post

The black bars from the movie left no visible IR, nor have I seen any other instances of it in normal viewing.
Black bars do not cause images to be retained in the normal sense of IR. If someone watched only movies with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 there would be black bars constantly at the top and bottom of the screen. Those pixels would have younger and brighter phosphors than the middle of the screen. As phosphors age they lose brightness.

If after doing only 2.35:1 aspect ratios for an extended period of time, the viewer switched to HDTV or movies with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, then they would notice brighter bands at the top and bottom of the screen. The brighter area would exactly match the black bars. This test shouldn't be done at home. eek.gif

Mixed source material is our IR friend. smile.gif
post #10894 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Black bars do not cause images to be retained in the normal sense of IR. If someone watched only movies with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 there would be black bars constantly at the top and bottom of the screen. Those pixels would have younger and brighter phosphors than the middle of the screen. As phosphors age they lose brightness.

If after doing only 2.35:1 aspect ratios for an extended period of time, the viewer switched to HDTV or movies with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, then they would notice brighter bands at the top and bottom of the screen. The brighter area would exactly match the black bars. This test shouldn't be done at home. eek.gif

Mixed source material is our IR friend. smile.gif

Thanks.

post #10895 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes they told me they would replace it and now tell me there is nothing wrong with it.I spoke to another person today and was told I would have an answer in a couple of days.I am not going to give up,my next step is the news and better business burea.
slimrn likes this.
post #10896 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does the Disney wow disc pixel flipper help
With IR at all?
Or does everyone here just use the scrolling bar feature from the TV menu?
post #10897 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

With IR at all?
Yes. To the WOW disc.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #10898 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

With IR at all?
The first line of defense can be using mixed sources.
sheshechic likes this.
post #10899 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Congratulations on getting one of the best TVs money can buy.

Thanks I've been following the Panasonic threads and plasma threads in general for a long time just waiting for when I could finally make the jump. I've really wanted the VT for a while but thought it was out of range so I'm really excited it worked out. That was a big part of my thinking was if I could get one of the best TV's out there I should since I don't upgrade all that much. I could really tell from my friend's ST30 how much I was missing so I'm really excited to get my hands on this VT50! I'm getting it in on Thursday so I took off Friday and I should have a good weekend of setup and movies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

And for the record that same suggestion was made here several times as well by a few of us. That was a hot topic here on the thread for a while.

That's good to know it seems pretty sensible. Since so much of my viewing would be done by 1/2 people this just seemed to make a lot of sense to me and for some reason it didn't even occur to me until I read it. I do have a lot to catch up on though I spent most of my time following the ST threads and the 2013 anticipation thread so I have a lot of catching up to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I found the samsung 3d glasses to almost be unwearable, due to how uncomfortable they were, IMO..

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to try a pair on before I make a move on them. That doesn't turn out to be such a good deal if they aren't comfortable. Especially since the only time people would be wearing them is for significant amounts of time watching movies. I'm also considering waiting for the 2013 glasses to see if there are any improvements. Since they went to that standard for 3D glasses they should work with the 2012 sets as well I would think. It's also getting pretty hard to find new 2012 glasses anyway.
post #10900 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

With IR at all?

In my experience a lot of very light IR goes away easily on its own just by viewing varied material. However, some sources I watch cause what I call pronounced IR ( where I can clearly see logo letters, shapes and colors) on my panel and then I do use both the Panny Scrolling Bar function and the Disney Pixel Flipper as needed afterwards. What I have noticed is that if I run the Scrolling Bar two or three cycles right after I notice any fresh "significant" IR then it usually clears it up right away. If there is still any remaining IR then I also use the Disney Pixel Flipper for at least an hour. Or, as many recommend in this forum you can let full screen programming run instead of the pixel flipper for a few hours to the same effect. In my case I generally know which station's TV logos, menus etc that I watch on a regular basis tend to leave pronounced IR on my display, so I just make a habit of running the scrolling bar afterwards.

Or as many have recommended in this forum "don't worry be happy" and just don't go looking for IR wink.gif

LB
post #10901 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM

I'm just curious if anyone knows if it's possible to play 2 player games on a 3D Panasonic where each player is able to see full screen.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239486/multiplayer_gaming_goes_full_screen_with_lg_tv.html

Here's a youtube of how it works with an older VT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8F-04HIi48

Basically the left eye would be player 1 and the right eye would be player 2. It looks like if there were just glasses with one pair corresponding to the left eye and the other pair corresponding to the right eye it would work but I can't find anything on if anyone has made glasses like this. We clearly can't do it ourselves with active glasses but it seems like someone would be able to manufacture these.I wasn't able to find anything searching so figured I'd just see if anyone here knew about this as it seems like a really cool application of 3d for gaming as I really hate doing multiplayer on the same screen.
post #10902 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Is the custom setting used when you get your tv callibrated? Or is there another pic mode for it?
post #10903 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjbh5 View Post

Is the custom setting used when you get your tv callibrated? Or is there another pic mode for it?

The possible modes are ISF night, ISF day, Custom (can be used for B/W or anything that you want), and 3-D.
post #10904 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

The possible modes are ISF night, ISF day, Custom (can be used for B/W or anything that you want), and 3-D.
So once the tv is callibrated ill see 2 additional pic modes? Isf day/night. And custom will still have the settings i have now?
post #10905 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

So once the tv is callibrated ill see 2 additional pic modes? Isf day/night. And custom will still have the settings i have now?

Correct, except you'll actually have a 3rd mode, that being ISF 3D Day.

post #10906 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

So if i get a "bad callibration" i can still go back to my custom settings. Can a "bad callibration" do any harm to the tv?
post #10907 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

So if i get a "bad callibration" i can still go back to my custom settings. Can a "bad callibration" do any harm to the tv?

You can always do your own version of THX mode and always come back to them and that or any of the other modes are independent. But it is up to you, if you want to use Custom mode for your own settings.
post #10908 of 13757 Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 PM

I just started having something wierd happen. When I initially turn my tv on the pic is washed out and pink!!!!!!!!!! If I try another source like my blu ray or apple tv I get a solid pink screen that goes black then pink repeatedly and no picture.
I have tried switching hdmi, and inputs and eliminating my surround system.
It seems like once the tv has been on for a while I can either turn it on then off Or unplug then replug hdmi!

Helllp
post #10909 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post

I just started having something wierd happen. When I initially turn my tv on the pic is washed out and pink!!!!!!!!!! If I try another source like my blu ray or apple tv I get a solid pink screen that goes black then pink repeatedly and no picture.
I have tried switching hdmi, and inputs and eliminating my surround system.
It seems like once the tv has been on for a while I can either turn it on then off Or unplug then replug hdmi!

Helllp
Your panel could be dieing. Get Panasonic involved.
post #10910 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 AM

I have some questions regarding resetting the TV settings. Does doing the master reset in the setup menu clear any changes made in the service menu? Also can powering the unit on and off to check setting retention in the service menu do damage? I am worried because over the course of about 20 minutes I powered the unit on and off about 5-10 times trying to check if any changes were retained. Does accessing the service menu void the warranty and could someone please provide the default contrast values in the service menu for THX Cinema? Can settings in the service menu do damage to the unit if it is still in its break in period? Thanks again in advance, you guys are my best resource to learning the ins and outs of this unit. I am worried sick about damaging this TV and as of today I think it is outside of its exchange period. The TV only has 61 hours on it and has been powered on 49 times. Is this bad? Also could with that few of hours could a change to the contrast do damage? The contrast is the only variable i could have possibly edited, can this corrupt the firmware? Sorry about the sporadic nature of this post but I am incredibly stressed and worried as stated before and just need some feedback to put me at ease.
post #10911 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hi RuntheReel,

master reset in the setup menu will only reset changings in the TVs menu but not in the service menu. Before You change settings in the service menu, what You never should do, You have carefully write down the settings and take some pictures.
I think that the TV could not get damaged, but You can mess up picture badly.
I can only speak for EU models, but as all other codes were the same for US models so far, this should work too.
Turn TV on, press "V-" button on the TV, keep pressed, and press the "info" button on the remote at the same time until the TV will perform a self test. After the self test turn off the TV using the power button of the TV. Wait a few second and turn on the TV. Now all settings including service menu should have default values.

try on You own risk.

good luck!
post #10912 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 AM

Thank you for the quick response will try this after I get back to the tv later. I love this community
post #10913 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

Ok here is the situation. I'm renovating my house and my wife said I can't get the tv until we get railings and a few other things done which is about 2 months away. Well I'm sure by then this tv will be gone. I'm thinking I'm jut gonna buy it now and listen to her flip out and then tell her how good this tv is, what a good deal I got, they were discontinuing it and blah blah blah.

I did that and my wife flipped alright. She slept in the spare bedroom for 4 nights and wouldn't say a word to me. It took 2 weeks before she would watch it, and she still complains about it. I got it right before the super bowl from Paul's for $2500, including tax and delivery.

Another irrelevant observation is about my first experiences with HD TV. I got Dish satellite which has respectable HD signals, but I can see a difference between Dish and off air signals. Off air is clearly better.
sheshechic likes this.
post #10914 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71784 View Post

I did that and my wife flipped alright. She slept in the spare bedroom for 4 nights and wouldn't say a word to me. It took 2 weeks before she would watch it, and she still complains about it. I got it right before the super bowl from Paul's for $2500, including tax and delivery.

Another irrelevant observation is about my first experiences with HD TV. I got Dish satellite which has respectable HD signals, but I can see a difference between Dish and off air signals. Off air is clearly better.

That is some serious WRF (Wife Rejection Factor). Did you anticipate this or were you surprised at her reaction?

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #10915 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 365

Waiting for the Kuro Killer

post #10916 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM

[quote name="71784" url="/t/1408338/official-panasonic-vt50-owners-thread/10900_100#post_23070467"
Another irrelevant observation is about my first experiences with HD TV. I got Dish satellite which has respectable HD signals, but I can see a difference between Dish and off air signals. Off air is clearly better.[/quote]

Depending on where you are located off air can have twice the bandwidth of most satellite feeds and even some cable providers.
post #10917 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Is there a isf 3D night mode?
post #10918 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Hey guys. Noobie here. Background: Love watching movies and being immersed in picture and sound. Have slight OCD and need to have the best of the best hense my top of the line oppo, my onkyo receiver, my emotiva amp, my high end paradigm speakers, high end cables and lastly the panasonic. Unfortunately my wife is not on board with all of this and last year she only approved me to get the 55GT30. Drove me a little nuts just to know there was a better panasonic line to get a better picture! Gods have now worked in my favor though and after 14 months, there is an issue with the 55GT30 and the warranty company has cut me a check! Already purchased one of the last 55VT50's in the area at a great price and going to pick it up today!! The clouds have opened and the angels are singing!!!!!!!! (If anyone mentions a new WT or ZT model, I will find you and punch you in the throat)! Anyways.......I'm a stay at home dad and we watch cartoons in the morning typically, I watch the gamut during nap times, and it's usually prime time, Discovery channel/animal planet at night via directv and usually evenings for the Blu ray to fire up when new movies arrive. I have always just left the tv in thx mode and gave it a slight tweak for liking and that is where it has stayed. Unfortunately after searching, I cannot get a calibrator here for the VT50 until at least June since I'm in BFE Wisconsin! In the meantime, I will be running Dnice's slides until Saturday (24 hrs a day hours straight) and applying his settings that I found in the other forum. I just signed up for that site and can't post there yet. My question is: Are his reference settings for everyday/everything viewing and movies or is that for specific content? Next question is that he has also listed some custom 3D settings. MY GT30 only had one custom mode. Is there more than one custom mode on the VT50 OR do I have to plug all those values in if I want to watch a 3D movie, then change it all back when done?? That seems like a pain! Unless there is a mode to plug into for the 3d content and have it separate from the 2d content settings?? Thanks in advance. Sorry so long, but find that as much info as possible generally helps.biggrin.gif

post #10919 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71784 View Post

Its good to see you have your priorities straight. biggrin.gif
Its pretty common that OTA will look better than cable. That is also my case.

post #10920 of 13757 Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrjnky View Post

Hey guys. Noobie here. Background: Love watching movies and being immersed in picture and sound. Have slight OCD and need to have the best of the best hense my top of the line oppo, my onkyo receiver, my emotiva amp, my high end paradigm speakers, high end cables and lastly the panasonic. Unfortunately my wife is not on board with all of this and last year she only approved me to get the 55GT30. Drove me a little nuts just to know there was a better panasonic line to get a better picture! Gods have now worked in my favor though and after 14 months, there is an issue with the 55GT30 and the warranty company has cut me a check! Already purchased one of the last 55VT50's in the area at a great price and going to pick it up today!! The clouds have opened and the angels are singing!!!!!!!! (If anyone mentions a new WT or ZT model, I will find you and punch you in the throat)! Anyways.......I'm a stay at home dad and we watch cartoons in the morning typically, I watch the gamut during nap times, and it's usually prime time, Discovery channel/animal planet at night via directv and usually evenings for the Blu ray to fire up when new movies arrive. I have always just left the tv in thx mode and gave it a slight tweak for liking and that is where it has stayed. Unfortunately after searching, I cannot get a calibrator here for the VT50 until at least June since I'm in BFE Wisconsin! In the meantime, I will be running Dnice's slides until Saturday (24 hrs a day hours straight) and applying his settings that I found in the other forum. I just signed up for that site and can't post there yet. My question is: Are his reference settings for everyday/everything viewing and movies or is that for specific content? Next question is that he has also listed some custom 3D settings. MY GT30 only had one custom mode. Is there more than one custom mode on the VT50 OR do I have to plug all those values in if I want to watch a 3D movie, then change it all back when done?? That seems like a pain! Unless there is a mode to plug into for the 3d content and have it separate from the 2d content settings?? Thanks in advance. Sorry so long, but find that as much info as possible generally helps.biggrin.gif
His settings are for any and all content. There is a Custom and 3d Custom mode. You have to be in 3d mode to access the Custom 3d mode.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page