post #13501 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Good morning, folks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

^the place you want to post this is the AVforums located here http://www.avforums.com/ .

mo949, thanks for the warm reception to this forum, I feel very welcome with an answer like that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post

Hi RegiOween,

Welcome to the forum. I can share your frustration as I am an outside USA owner too. I have asked Panasonic this question and not really received any decent answer. There was a mention that local firmware decisions were made to help with energy ratings. That's why panel brightness options were removed. In my country they fixed it on the VT60 so who knows.

We were also left without any autocal support. Again another firmware decision.

Maybe you could share which features you are missing and the group can help you out on how much impact these really have?

I have found that the group on AVS have even great and have helped me with:

Yellow blobs
Calibrating THX cinema
Calibration methods

The Non USA sets are restricted, but with perseverance and some learning can get close.

Panasonic had something pretty special with these Plasmas, but didn't seem to really understand us in far away lands.

I am still overall happy with what I have, when I compare it to cloud grey LCD expensive TVs.

Good luck and great to have you here

Crudesinger, thanks for your attention and politeness. In fact I did many workarounds to get the best out of my VT50 (including adjustments in the service menu), but the main reason of my complaint is why Panasonic decided to treat its customers differently by region, which I don't think is fair, cause in my opinion, a 55VT50 (for example) shoud be the same 55VT50 in any part of the world, considering we're talking about the same product from the same brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billmich View Post

I thought it was spelled "Brasil" down there

billmich, it's spelled Brasil in portuguese, Brazil in english.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I don't believe he was trying to be rude, just providing another resource.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13503 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegiOween View Post

billmich, it's spelled Brasil in portuguese, Brazil in english.

HMMM, thank you for the info..
How is it spelled in Spanish?
post #13504 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I don't believe he was trying to be rude, just providing another resource.

Exactly. Hard to help with a version of a product we do not own...

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #13505 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Hey Gadget you "upgrading" to 4k or OLED ? smile.gif

post #13506 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:

^the place you want to post this is the AVforums located here http://www.avforums.com/ .

Quote:

I thought it was spelled "Brasil" down there

Quote:

HMMM, thank you for the info..
How is it spelled in Spanish?

In spanish it's Brasil too, since both languages are derivative from latin.

post #13507 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Hey Gadget you "upgrading" to 4k or OLED ? smile.gif

Im sitting at least another year (or two) and sticking with my 6 month Chad B visits.

I was looking at one of the Q+ model 70" Sharps, but a friend of mine (bought my GT30) just had to replace his GT30 (cracked screen) and got one. Um no, Sharp can keep that thing. On the flip side, Im not spending $4000 to get a nice 65" LCD and I am not paying OLED pricing. smile.gif

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #13508 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

gadgtfreek, I kindly ask to disagree, since there's many people in this forum who lives outside USA.

post #13509 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm with you brother smile.gif I will keep my Vt60 till it croaks then move to OLED.
scirica and gadgtfreek like this.

post #13510 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 521
Quote:

mo949, thanks for the warm reception to this forum, I feel very welcome with an answer like that...

You posted a complaint about a model we do not have in a thread that is almost inactive. Avforum is very similar in title to Avsforum. From my phone I figured I'd help you out and give you the location of where your complaint would best be met by relevant information; it takes me a while to write an answer on the phone. You are right, I could have taken the time to be more polite. I'm a bit leery about people that have first posts like yours with the history of bots I've seen so I don't think I was willing at that moment to risk anymore of my time.

Back to your complaint. One of the main differences between the two models is your model has a 50hz refresh rate and handles PAL info. To combine both ntsc and pal in the same model is a bit trickier than we can appreciate and usually leads to them needing to include converters (which have their own issues as well). Of course the energy standard differences clearly caused them some issues regionally too.
post #13511 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

gadgtfreek, I kindly ask to disagree, since there's many people in this forum who lives outside USA.

Look, I get that, but there is a huge majority of out of country folks at AV Forums, while there is a small group of US guys over there. You would get more accurate help on a non US model there.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #13512 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

You posted a complaint about a model we do not have in a thread that is almost inactive. Avforum is very similar in title to Avsforum. From my phone I figured I'd help you out and give you the location of where your complaint would best be met by relevant information; it takes me a while to write an answer on the phone. You are right, I could have taken the time to be more polite. I'm a bit leery about people that have first posts like yours with the history of bots I've seen so I don't think I was willing at that moment to risk anymore of my time.

Back to your complaint. One of the main differences between the two models is your model has a 50hz refresh rate and handles PAL info. To combine both ntsc and pal in the same model is a bit trickier than we can appreciate and usually leads to them needing to include converters (which have their own issues as well). Of course the energy standard differences clearly caused them some issues regionally too.

mo949, sorry if I misunderstood you, and thanks for the explanation about my model. I didn't know about the 50hz refresh rate thing, so I guess that info explains why my TV have a little flickering at close distance, specially in bright scenes.

I'm clearly disappointed about the way Panasonic handled the VT50 line for regions outside USA, and the main reason is because the VT60 line doesn't have the same restrictions (at least not in Europe and Brazil, as far as I know) so the regional encoding system is not a convincing excuse to take out some essential features, like panel brightness control, custom mode calibration without increase black-level, better refresh rate, etc.

post #13513 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The vt60 still has those main differences, but it seems that you are right that they included more features. So basically, why can't they have included them in the vt50s then in the first place? Idk. You'd have hoped a firmware update could have given them to you, but then again they are kind of out of the game now.

The vt60 panel brightness high mode got fixed in a firmware update recently...why can't they give us the vt50 panel high fix too?
post #13514 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:

The vt60 still has those main differences, but it seems that you are right that they included more features. So basically, why can't they have included them in the vt50s then in the first place? Idk. You'd have hoped a firmware update could have given them to you, but then again they are kind of out of the game now.

The vt60 panel brightness high mode got fixed in a firmware update recently...why can't they give us the vt50 panel high fix too?

I also don't have high hopes for a proper fix from Panasonic, so with some "workarounds" done, I have to get used to it. And, just to make things a little bit worse, Panasonic didn't release the 55VT60 models in Brazil, so I don't have any other option in this panel size to replace my 55VT50, and a 65VT60 is oversized for my room dimensions.

post #13515 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Quote:

You were given the very good advise to also try AVforums which is located in England and orientated to models other than those released in the US. While owners of non-US models post here, they are not as numerous and you also have to take care that you don't act on well meaning advice from individuals who miss the fact that your model is different.

I do not detect any sarcasm in mo949's suggestion. He is also someone who consistently provides help to others.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #13516 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You were given the very good advise to also try AVforums which is located in England and orientated to models other than those released in the US. While owners of non-US models post here, they are not as numerous and you also have to take care that you don't act on well meaning advice from individuals who miss the fact that your model is different.

I do not detect any sarcasm in mo949's suggestion. He is also someone who consistently provides help to others.

Enjoy. smile.gif

htwaits, that's ok! I already apologize to him if I misunderstood his message, as well as he also recognize he may sound not so polite on his initial response, but afterwards he was very attentious to me.

post #13517 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

appreciate all the kind words, Htwaits and Chunon. This is my bad. I should have included a few extra words to avoid poor etiquette. No worries Regi, sorry you didn't feel like we were being inclusive. So welcome here and congratulations for having one the last great plasmas around. Panel bright Mid is probably the best mode anyway.

[and sometimes there's plenty of sarcasm in my posts besides wink.gif]
post #13518 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

appreciate all the kind words, Htwaits and Chunon. This is my bad. I should have included a few extra words to avoid poor etiquette. No worries Regi, sorry you didn't feel like we were being inclusive. So welcome here and congratulations for having one the last great plasmas around. Panel bright Mid is probably the best mode anyway.

People shouldn't be so sensipoo, and I run mine on low most of the time tongue.gif

Looky here!
post #13519 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
On the 50hz thing. This is for PAL broadcasted shows. The TV will actually show 60 hz or 24p if it receives it from a Bluray etc.

In that case the only real major difference between USA sets and outside becomes the ISF mode capability.

With my THX cinema calibrated through the 2 point service menu I can get down to deltas of 1 or so which is lucky. I am pretty sure this mode is in panel brightness mid. On my 65" I can max out contrast at about 32-33 ftl. I find I run it at about 27 as it just seems smoother to me in a dark room. The USA models might get to 40 ftl but I don't think I would use it for a night mode.

In the end I have found it is the black level that's most important to me which is why I stay away from the stuck in low panel brightness pro.

We still have a few dirt cheap VT60s here going at about 2/3 original price. I would go out and buy one except I am not sure I would get that much advantage in the end, plus Panasonic NZ made me fix my yellow blobs on vt50 by myself.

I too will wait for OLED or JVC projector to come down in price.
post #13520 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Quote:

People shouldn't be so sensipoo, and I run mine on low most of the time tongue.gif

Ok, this I need to hear. Panel bright low? What you doing in that mode?eek.gif
post #13521 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudesinger View Post

On the 50hz thing. This is for PAL broadcasted shows. The TV will actually show 60 hz or 24p if it receives it from a Bluray etc.

In that case the only real major difference between USA sets and outside becomes the ISF mode capability.

With my THX cinema calibrated through the 2 point service menu I can get down to deltas of 1 or so which is lucky. I am pretty sure this mode is in panel brightness mid. On my 65" I can max out contrast at about 32-33 ftl. I find I run it at about 27 as it just seems smoother to me in a dark room. The USA models might get to 40 ftl but I don't think I would use it for a night mode.

In the end I have found it is the black level that's most important to me which is why I stay away from the stuck in low panel brightness pro.

We still have a few dirt cheap VT60s here going at about 2/3 original price. I would go out and buy one except I am not sure I would get that much advantage in the end, plus Panasonic NZ made me fix my yellow blobs on vt50 by myself.

I too will wait for OLED or JVC projector to come down in price.

great info. Mind sharing how you managed to fix the yellow blobs? I'm starting to think I saw a hint of them the other night, was going to post in the yellow blob thread when I saw them again and hopefully get a pic (I can't seem to isolate them - its like they just showed up after turning on the set and then disappeared)?.
post #13522 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

great info. Mind sharing how you managed to fix the yellow blobs? I'm starting to think I saw a hint of them the other night, was going to post in the yellow blob thread when I saw them again and hopefully get a pic (I can't seem to isolate them - its like they just showed up after turning on the set and then disappeared)?.

I can PM you the method. The yellow blob thread has truckloads of info.I learned from the guys there.

It involves first a service menu voltage setting and if you have it worse then taking the back off and tweaking voltage pots is next.

Scary I know, but possible. I hope you see no further evidence of the issue
post #13523 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Crudesinger! I'll see if they ever pop back up and let the thread and you know.
post #13524 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, this I need to hear. Panel bright low? What you doing in that mode?eek.gif

We mostly watch movies, lights out, in the basement. For sports with the lights on I do have an input set to medium. Low calibrates VERY well for movie night, I highly prefer it over even medium.

Looky here!
post #13525 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought everyone said it doubled the black mll though?
post #13526 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Quote:

Crudesinger, thanks for your attention and politeness. In fact I did many workarounds to get the best out of my VT50 (including adjustments in the service menu), but the main reason of my complaint is why Panasonic decided to treat its customers differently by region, which I don't think is fair, cause in my opinion, a 55VT50 (for example) shoud be the same 55VT50 in any part of the world, considering we're talking about the same product from the same brand.

Quote:

I think it a lot of it has to do with the laws in various countries as to how much power a display can draw. As you probably already know, plasmas do use quite a bit more power than an LCD. So in countries where its heavily regulated, Panasonic has to use different designs in order to sell displays in that country.

Personally....I hate a dim picture and might have to go over to the dark side (LCD) if my only plasma options were dim.

On the brighter side (pun intended) it appears that the big boys are putting more R&D into LED LCDs where the picture looks somewhat better than those of the past.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #13527 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Enjoy. smile.gif

htwaits, that's ok! I already apologize to him if I misunderstood his message, as well as he also recognize he may sound not so polite on his initial response, but afterwards he was very attentious to me.
It's hard to always figure out how to convey tone in a text massage. Hands, face, and voice make things like tone much easier.

Good luck with your search for an answer. smile.gif
post #13528 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought everyone said it doubled the black mll though?

Couldn't tell you TBH. All I know is that my i1pro, Calman5, and my eyes like it just fine. Maybe I'll get around to actually measuring it, for now you'll just have to trust me that it looks really good.

Looky here!
post #13529 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I trust your work wink.gif Do you think you notice less color banding with the extra gradations? What gamma target/curve did you go for?
post #13530 of 13757 Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I trust your work wink.gif Do you think you notice less color banding with the extra gradations? What gamma target/curve did you go for?

I went for 2.4. I haven't noticed a change in banding, but have noticed more detail in scenes with a lot of darkness, things seem to have more definition. I have a little staycation coming up and may rent an i1pro 2 from spectracal to play around with different settings and then touch up the calibration.
mo949 likes this.

Looky here!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P55vt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page