Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 463 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

mo949's Avatar mo949
01:03 PM Liked: 667
post #13861 of 13880
01-19-2015 | Posts: 3,575
Joined: May 2012
Hi Gadget, appreciate the charts there. I would have thought you'd target a gamma closer to 2.4?
gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek
01:51 PM Liked: 381
post #13862 of 13880
01-19-2015 | Posts: 3,112
Joined: Aug 2012
I tried that and the 1886. Just didnt care for it.
mo949's Avatar mo949
05:32 PM Liked: 667
post #13863 of 13880
01-19-2015 | Posts: 3,575
Joined: May 2012
haven't tried the 1886 - I actually have been toying with the idea that the 1886 would be more suited to the 3d mode, but IDK if I'm going to ask Dnice to do it that way or not. Think my day is 2.2~ and my night is 2.4~ - for me I prefer the night one, but its also 25fl which I know many don't like. So many preferences to our references
gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek
05:59 PM Liked: 381
post #13864 of 13880
01-19-2015 | Posts: 3,112
Joined: Aug 2012
Thats what is nice about a good display, you can get multiple modes set your own preference.
Crudesinger's Avatar Crudesinger
03:26 AM Liked: 16
post #13865 of 13880
01-20-2015 | Posts: 62
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post
I just scored a 65" leftover demo (low hours) from a Panasonic rep in my area. I am in love with this thing.

Now the tweaker in me wants to dial it in the best I can for my sources. The confusion I am having as a NEWB is, first I don't see the ISF ( Professional Modes 1+2 ) like I have seen in other reviews on the web? Is it a European only thing? I really would like a couple more presets.

When I try to unlock them with the ISF code "info" does not work.



Can someone give me a hand getting up to speed with this? PM me or reply here with what I may need to do.


I am a projection guy who recommended the 65ZT for my Father in law,and now with I bought one of those when I had the chance. I was tooo caught up in my cave with my Sony 50ES This VT50 is s0 good I can't imagine.


Any help would be appreciated.
Hi,

To unlock the professional 1 and 2 follow:

Menu
Setup
Advance(isfccc)
On

After that you will have 2 more presets show on your picture menu. These will be professional 1,2

Hope this helps. This is on a NZ VT50 which I understand to be the same as uk or close.
Omni009's Avatar Omni009
06:50 PM Liked: 70
post #13866 of 13880
01-21-2015 | Posts: 540
Joined: Sep 2009
Well, it finally happened. One of my 2 years olds plastic cups went flying into my 65VT50. Now I have annoying black lines and another line going down, ruining my picture I sacrificed so much to get.

I attached pics. The impact zone is actually underneath the glass, as the front of the glass is still totally smooth on the surface. Any idea if this is fixable? I think my 2 years of warrenty are up, but I'd shell out up to 500 or so to fix this.
Attached: IMG_0074.JPG (537.9 KB)  IMG_0075.JPG (129.9 KB) 
robnix's Avatar robnix
07:37 PM Liked: 317
post #13867 of 13880
01-21-2015 | Posts: 1,896
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Well, it finally happened. One of my 2 years olds plastic cups went flying into my 65VT50. Now I have annoying black lines and another line going down, ruining my picture I sacrificed so much to get.

I attached pics. The impact zone is actually underneath the glass, as the front of the glass is still totally smooth on the surface. Any idea if this is fixable? I think my 2 years of warrenty are up, but I'd shell out up to 500 or so to fix this.
You'd need a new panel. Not going to happen for $500.00.
JimP
08:36 PM Liked: 231
post #13868 of 13880
01-21-2015 | Posts: 15,623
Joined: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Well, it finally happened. One of my 2 years olds plastic cups went flying into my 65VT50. Now I have annoying black lines and another line going down, ruining my picture I sacrificed so much to get.

I attached pics. The impact zone is actually underneath the glass, as the front of the glass is still totally smooth on the surface. Any idea if this is fixable? I think my 2 years of warrenty are up, but I'd shell out up to 500 or so to fix this.
You could always use it for the kids TV. Its already been broken in.
Omni009's Avatar Omni009
11:21 PM Liked: 70
post #13869 of 13880
01-21-2015 | Posts: 540
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
You could always use it for the kids TV. Its already been broken in.
Yea, this was the main TV in the living room. I saved forever to get it, and spent a few months checking clearance sales at best buy before I found one in my budget. I fine tuned it for hours. Everyone talked about what a great picture I had.

Now I have to sit far back just so I don't notice the lines as much. This kills me. And with plasma gone, I'd have to pay a premium to replace it with any other plasma still out there.
gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek
08:32 AM Liked: 381
post #13870 of 13880
01-22-2015 | Posts: 3,112
Joined: Aug 2012
That sucks...
mo949's Avatar mo949
09:42 AM Liked: 667
post #13871 of 13880
01-22-2015 | Posts: 3,575
Joined: May 2012
It hurts just thinking about it.
billmich's Avatar billmich
10:11 AM Liked: 37
post #13872 of 13880
01-22-2015 | Posts: 1,493
Joined: Jan 2001
I want to know why that poster said "it finally happened"? Was the kid chucking objects at the screen before and just got lucky?

If that is the case, then my sympathy level is different...
Omni009's Avatar Omni009
11:17 AM Liked: 70
post #13873 of 13880
01-22-2015 | Posts: 540
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I want to know why that poster said "it finally happened"? Was the kid chucking objects at the screen before and just got lucky?

If that is the case, then my sympathy level is different...
I had a sense of dread with a 2 1/2 year old running around the room in circles all the time. I figured one day she might trip and send whatever she was holding flying into the screen.

This damage came from an empty plastic sippy cup from a good distance away. Shouldn't have really hit it hard enough to hurt it from probably about 15+ feet away we were at the time, but the TV was on and warm so I guess that made the difference. It still works, and it could have been worse, but for me my eyes go right to the lines so a lot of my enjoyment I got from this set is done.
easyjacks's Avatar easyjacks
11:40 AM Liked: 16
post #13874 of 13880
01-22-2015 | Posts: 37
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I had a sense of dread with a 2 1/2 year old running around the room in circles all the time. I figured one day she might trip and send whatever she was holding flying into the screen.

This damage came from an empty plastic sippy cup from a good distance away. Shouldn't have really hit it hard enough to hurt it from probably about 15+ feet away we were at the time, but the TV was on and warm so I guess that made the difference. It still works, and it could have been worse, but for me my eyes go right to the lines so a lot of my enjoyment I got from this set is done.
So sorry to hear
easyjacks's Avatar easyjacks
11:55 AM Liked: 16
post #13875 of 13880
01-22-2015 | Posts: 37
Joined: Jun 2013
Jeff Meier (known as UMR on AVS) was on his CA tour (Jan 18, 2015) Accucalhd.com

I've had my VT50 55" up since June of 2013, all I have done pre-calibration was tweak settings that were available without equipment. Jeff "does what he does" and now I have an absolutely stunning VT50. Flesh tones, reds, blues, whites and of course the infamous black levels are absolutely mind blowing now. From watching the NFL through my AT&T U-Verse to watching a Blu-Ray on my Oppo 103 at night is something to behold. He explains the what, why and how of everything he is doing. He emails you a PDF report of your pre and post calibration. He is an utmost professional and takes his work very seriously. He is extremely easy to talk to and very open to questions and discussion. Can't recommend Jeff enough. He also transformed my 2.1 sound. A night and day experience with that too. I am so happy that all of my equipment is running at their optimal levels now. If you'd like to research he has a great web page, accucalhd.com

Panasonic VT50 55"
Oppo 103
Yamaha RX-V475 receiver
2 Hsu HB-1 MK2 speakers
Hsu VTF-3 MK4 sub
camroncamera's Avatar camroncamera
05:20 AM Liked: 10
post #13876 of 13880
01-23-2015 | Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 2008
Hey folks, in November 2012 I picked up a brand-new 55" VT50 and have been enjoying the heck out of it ever since. I just wanted to chime in that I love reading all the positive comments about this set even two years later! I had an early burn-in scare, which thankfully resolved itself as simple temporary IR (darn cable station ID bugs). It is paired with a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver, also bought new at the same time as the TV. Last fall we upgraded our Comcast cable boxes to their "X1" system, and (sluggish as it it is) I am pleased that the new Comcast remote will finally control the Panny's power and volume . I always hated that I couldn't program a code to get their older style remotes to work with my set, but after two years I finally got that irritation solved.
camroncamera's Avatar camroncamera
05:44 PM Liked: 10
post #13877 of 13880
01-23-2015 | Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 2008
Yesterday I discovered a quirk: I found that while playing networked music files on my Apple TV (connected via HDMI to a receiver input), if I then to switch off the television (connected to the receiver output, also via HDMI), the Apple TV suddenly stops playing music when the TV powers down. When I turn the screen back on, the Apple TV displays a message about an error accessing content. Seems that the powering off of the Panny somehow disrupts the Apple TV's network connection to my music files. I don't think I've ever noticed this behavior before, since I usually enjoy a screensaver of high-res album art while listening, rather than trying to listen with the television screen turned off. Not sure at this point whether it is the Apple TV, the receiver, or the television to blame. Minor issue, anyway, I suppose.
JimL's Avatar JimL
05:57 PM Liked: 11
post #13878 of 13880
01-23-2015 | Posts: 288
Joined: Apr 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroncamera View Post
Yesterday I discovered a quirk: I found that while playing networked music files on my Apple TV (connected via HDMI to a receiver input), if I then to switch off the television (connected to the receiver output, also via HDMI), the Apple TV suddenly stops playing music when the TV powers down. When I turn the screen back on, the Apple TV displays a message about an error accessing content. Seems that the powering off of the Panny somehow disrupts the Apple TV's network connection to my music files. I don't think I've ever noticed this behavior before, since I usually enjoy a screensaver of high-res album art while listening, rather than trying to listen with the television screen turned off. Not sure at this point whether it is the Apple TV, the receiver, or the television to blame. Minor issue, anyway, I suppose.
Just tried this and you are correct, turning off the TV does in fact stop the music and when turning TV back on an error message appears. I can honestly say I have never noticed this before because I have always let the AppleTV screensaver flipping the album art play onscreen.
camroncamera's Avatar camroncamera
06:13 PM Liked: 10
post #13879 of 13880
01-23-2015 | Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
Just tried this and you are correct, turning off the TV does in fact stop the music and when turning TV back on an error message appears. I can honestly say I have never noticed this before because I have always let the AppleTV screensaver flipping the album art play onscreen.
Yes, I spent quite a bit of time scanning some of my more obscure album art, it just looks so awesome on the VT50 screen scrolling through the covers that I usually let it float by all the time. However, I am almost finished re-ripping at lossless quality the entire CD collection belonging to my wife and I, and found that some songs that I hadn't heard in many years would play and I couldn't always tell who I was listening to. The Apple TV would only show the artist/song for a few moments before fading out, and I kept going back to the ATV menu to see the artist credit. Then I temporarily turned off the ATV's screensaver function to keep the artist/song info onscreen, but fearing a burn-in situation, I eventually decided to simply enjoy the shuffle play mode with the screen completely off for a change... that's when I found out it wouldn't be so easy to do that.
Omni009's Avatar Omni009
11:40 PM Liked: 70
post #13880 of 13880
Today | Posts: 540
Joined: Sep 2009
So about that minor damage I showed on my TV screen...did you know that heat makes cracks in the glass get bigger? I know that now.

I had guests over to watch the Royal Rumble tonight, and as soon as we sat down my VT50 screen went black and I got the 4 blinking light. I see now the small crack has gotten bigger. When I try and turn it on, I see a white flash in the impact spot, and 4 blinking lights...pause, then again.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this but...it's toast, right?

Now I have my old 42S1 in a spot it looks silly in. I guess I am just SOL. Warranty is up after one year I believe, even if I could convince them it was something cracking from the inside.
Tags: Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv

Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3