Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 473 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #14161 of 14178 Old 08-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Ben View Post
Was just perusing this thread to check on the latest performance issues -- and because I bought a great 65VT50 in June 2012. Now (Aug. 2016, 4 years, 2 months later) my wonderful plasma picture is going as strong and beautiful as ever!

Are others also still getting top-notch performances from their 4-year-old Pany plasmas? Or, are issues right around the corner? I paid $3,400 for this one when it first came out and am expecting a few more good years out of it. Of course, all my warranties have expired so if I ever need a repair it will be on me. Are the cost of these various boards very high? How about repair, labor costs?

Not really nervous about it, I can afford a new TV. Just want to be prepared for realistic expectations on life-expectancy of my 65VT50, and repair bills so that can decide on whether to fix or replace.

And, what do you do with these monsters when they do go out? Is there a parts market or places that buy these wonderful units?

Really hope to get another good 2-3 years until OLED is refined and 80-inchers are in the $5K range.
I'm still enjoying my 65VT50 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14162 of 14178 Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys what options do I have to get an A board for my 65vt50?
post #14163 of 14178 Old 08-05-2016, 06:46 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Was just perusing this thread to check on the latest performance issues -- and because I bought a great 65VT50 in June 2012. Now (Aug. 2016, 4 years, 2 months later) my wonderful plasma picture is going as strong and beautiful as ever!

Are others also still getting top-notch performances from their 4-year-old Pany plasmas? Or, are issues right around the corner? I paid $3,400 for this one when it first came out and am expecting a few more good years out of it. Of course, all my warranties have expired so if I ever need a repair it will be on me. Are the cost of these various boards very high? How about repair, labor costs?

Not really nervous about it, I can afford a new TV. Just want to be prepared for realistic expectations on life-expectancy of my 65VT50, and repair bills so that can decide on whether to fix or replace.

And, what do you do with these monsters when they do go out? Is there a parts market or places that buy these wonderful units?

Really hope to get another good 2-3 years until OLED is refined and 80-inchers are in the $5K range.
Still loving my 65VT50 as well! With all the buzz over 4K and HDR, I have looked at new tvs but nothing has made me want to upgrade right now. I actually just started using High Panel Brightness for daytime and it looks awesome! I know it's not popular among owners here but the only negative is increased dithering but I can't see it from my normal viewing distance of 12'.

I'm going to keep mine until I can afford a larger tv that looks better or mine dies.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #14164 of 14178 Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Still loving my 65VT50 as well! With all the buzz over 4K and HDR, I have looked at new tvs but nothing has made me want to upgrade right now. I actually just started using High Panel Brightness for daytime and it looks awesome! I know it's not popular among owners here but the only negative is increased dithering but I can't see it from my normal viewing distance of 12'.

I'm going to keep mine until I can afford a larger tv that looks better or mine dies.
I agree totally.

Where is High Panel Brightness? I know my Custom settings pretty well, but this must be something I'm missing. It has to be something simple that I'm just overlooking. Is that just the Vivid setting?
post #14165 of 14178 Old 08-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So after replacing both PC boards with no success, Geek Squad replaced the Main board today , 30 days after my initial problem where a power surge killed my 65VT50 TV. This main board replacement worked.

The only problem? My HDMI inputs are flaky. HDMI1 is the only input that is PERFECT. HDMI2 (ARC) , HDMI 3 , HDMI 4 are flaky as hell. They won't recognize a signal most of the time. But after we started to keep taking cables off and putting them back on , switching sources (XFINITY X1, XFINITY secondary STB, Blu Ray, laptop), we finally got those to work too. But they won't work consistently. It's only been a few hours, so I will keep testing them. I wonder if it's a loose connection for everything but HDMI1. But aren't they all part of the same board? Sometimes if I jiggle them, I think it makes a connection because of that.

The Geek Squad tech said he would keep the issue open , just in case the issue never got better. If this is not fixed fully, I am guessing I am entitled to a replacement though I would rather not on a TV that is only 3 plus years old even if I could get a SAMSUNG 8000 Series for free and possibly $200 worth of credit along with it.(I paid nearly 2200 or 2300 for this TV and the Samsung is 2000 on sale).

Also, the default brightness seems 50 for all picture modes. I thought it varied in the different modes. I adjusted it back to where I wanted. I don't know if it's the 30 day absence of watching this TV, but the pic now seems to be softer than it was before.

Gentle Ben, regarding cost of repairing this TV. If I did not have extended warranty, I think each of the PC board replacements would hve been $500 or more. The main board, I am not sure. But the labor part looks easy as hell on these TVs. Just snap out and/or unscrew the old one and snap in the new one.
9suffix likes this.

Last edited by mantar; 08-05-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #14166 of 14178 Old 08-06-2016, 05:33 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
I agree totally.

Where is High Panel Brightness? I know my Custom settings pretty well, but this must be something I'm missing. It has to be something simple that I'm just overlooking. Is that just the Vivid setting?
Custom mode, Pro settings, next to Gamma I believe.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #14167 of 14178 Old 08-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Gentle Ben,

I documented my recent challenge in post #14142 , not far above your post. There seem to be others with similar issues after nearly four years of use (mantar, philh930, etc.). I have the extended warranty, but I think $500(?) to bring the TV back to life would be worth it as OLEDs mature.

Let's hope your set stays sound!

JP

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." -- W.C. Fields
post #14168 of 14178 Old 08-06-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Custom mode, Pro settings, next to Gamma I believe.
Thanks, I'll check it out. But honestly my picture is fantastic.
post #14169 of 14178 Old 08-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post
So after replacing both PC boards with no success, Geek Squad replaced the Main board today , 30 days after my initial problem where a power surge killed my 65VT50 TV. This main board replacement worked.

The only problem? My HDMI inputs are flaky. HDMI1 is the only input that is PERFECT. HDMI2 (ARC) , HDMI 3 , HDMI 4 are flaky as hell. They won't recognize a signal most of the time. But after we started to keep taking cables off and putting them back on , switching sources (XFINITY X1, XFINITY secondary STB, Blu Ray, laptop), we finally got those to work too. But they won't work consistently. It's only been a few hours, so I will keep testing them. I wonder if it's a loose connection for everything but HDMI1. But aren't they all part of the same board? Sometimes if I jiggle them, I think it makes a connection because of that.

The Geek Squad tech said he would keep the issue open , just in case the issue never got better. If this is not fixed fully, I am guessing I am entitled to a replacement though I would rather not on a TV that is only 3 plus years old even if I could get a SAMSUNG 8000 Series for free and possibly $200 worth of credit along with it.(I paid nearly 2200 or 2300 for this TV and the Samsung is 2000 on sale).

Also, the default brightness seems 50 for all picture modes. I thought it varied in the different modes. I adjusted it back to where I wanted. I don't know if it's the 30 day absence of watching this TV, but the pic now seems to be softer than it was before.

Gentle Ben, regarding cost of repairing this TV. If I did not have extended warranty, I think each of the PC board replacements would hve been $500 or more. The main board, I am not sure. But the labor part looks easy as hell on these TVs. Just snap out and/or unscrew the old one and snap in the new one.
I would say my fantastic 65VT50 has been trouble free but for two small items:
-- Every once in a while, if I have to move my TV around, I will have to jiggle my HDMI2 (ARC) input cable to re-establish a signal from my Yamaha receiver. I think this is because the HDMI inputs are rather difficult to fit and sometimes need to be forced in, perhaps loosening the connection. Indeed, a lot of connections (digital audio, etc) are kind of loose or difficult to plug in -- my only real gripe.
-- Second bug was I bought and watched Jurassic World one time without fault. But the second time and any successive attempt to view this blu-ray it shuts off my TV completely at a certain point, forcing me to have to unplug the TV for it to come back on. My Panasonic blu-ray player has no problems with any other disc, and the JurPk blu-ray plays fine on my daughters plasma. Have not been able to fix this little bug, just gave the blu-ray to my daughter. Yes, I do realize the fault could be in my blu-ray player.

Plus, I don't think I would pay more than $600-$700 to fix this TV. I love it, yes, but after four-plus years of great service it would be hard to justify such a repair considering I will be investing in a larger OLED in about two to three years. Instead, I would make a deal with the devil (a.k.a. spouse) to purchase a $1,200 interim unit which could be moved to a bedroom later.

If a major board were to go out, I would probably sell the TV to someone more tech savvy than me and let them fix it on their own. We'd both win out -- they'd get a great TV and I'd recoup some of my investment. I'm 66 now and just don't like to fiddle around with this stuff anymore. Ten years ago? Sure.

Meanwhile, I will quit trying to jinx my still great 65VT50 and hope it gives me those two to three years of great viewing.
post #14170 of 14178 Old 08-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Actually those HDMI inputs started to act up only after they repaired the power surge issue with the main board.
post #14171 of 14178 Old 08-07-2016, 01:14 AM

OK, I don't know how I missed this. But now I see a thin horizontal clear line (sometimes greenish). It is more visible in bright scenes. It is a line that sits one third of the height from the bottom of the screen. It is more visible in brighter scenes, and maybe that's why I missed it as the line can blend into some busy dark background scenes. When the screen is mostly black like end credit scenes, it is very hard to detect if at all. Let's hope it's just a loose assembly creating that when they kept opening and closing my TV to try to fix it three times the last month. Otherwise, it's new TV time which sucks because I love my plasma.

Last edited by mantar; 08-07-2016 at 01:19 AM.
post #14172 of 14178 Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post
OK, I don't know how
What size?
post #14173 of 14178 Old 08-07-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
What size?
65Vt50 65 inches

Also, contrary to what i initially reported,the picture quality seems to be pretty sharp again except for that annoying thin greenish line which is only hard to catch during black background scenes. . I don't know if I just had a bad cable source picture after the repair warping my perception? But yeah, I hope that single thin line is just some loose contact somewhere and not some ribbon or something else being messed up.

Last edited by mantar; 08-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #14174 of 14178 Old 08-19-2016, 06:26 PM

End of the line. Magnolia (via Geek Squad) has determined it is no longer worth trying to fix my TV. They don't have any more main boards after they determined the refurbished one sent to me earlier had poor HDMI ports. And they did not bother even trying to diagnose the horizontal line because of the HDMI issue not being fixed. They shipped a buffer board , I think and they said that once they put that in, it would be tough reuse it and they would rather not waste it.

So my advice is if your set fails, do not trash it. Mine it for parts to sell on ebay. Hell. someone might want your display itself if they have a cracked screen and they can use their own PC boards and main boards. There is an obvious shortage of parts.

So as I detailed in the Geek Squad thread, I have been given $2675 credit which is what I paid for the set (2500 plus taxes) to use to buy anything I want in Magnolia Design Center. I am leaning towards one of the SONYs (65x930D or 75X850). There is also the Samsung 65 inch 8000 series for only 2000.

I am no hurry to return the 65vt50. I have three months to return and I intend to use it for at least 2 more months for free. I can ignore that thin horizontal line for now.
post #14175 of 14178 Old 08-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Liked: 11
if anyone is having same issue as me with a dead board and no new parts to find

i was able to get my dead main board fixed by PTS electronics thru their repair & return program

http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/tv-...ir-and-return/

TV works perfectly again
JimP likes this.
post #14176 of 14178 Old 09-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 65VT50(knock on wood) is working wonderfully after 4 years of use. With all of the new talk about streaming devices, I decided to look more closely at my Panny. I purchased new in July 2012. Was told that they no longer support that model and that the apps cannot be updated. I was furious.

Also the tech confirmed what I had read that the apps for the Panny go thru the Panny servers and not thru your internet provider, therefore a breach at Panny would show everything you viewed and also release your personal information.. Real security issue I think.

Last Panny TV I will ever buy.
post #14177 of 14178 Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 65
For perspective, I'll take the other side of this.
Our 65VT50 is 4 years old too. Still works great. With a Roku or a good Bluray player, current apps are easy to get (if you want them).
Until there is more 4K programming available, I have no desire to upgrade.
Tip of the cap to Panasonic for the last great plasma
JimP, mnc and laulau like this.
post #14178 of 14178 Old Today, 09:53 AM

How do the VT50s compare to the the later model ST and VT60s?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page