Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 474 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #14191 of 14218 Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchasing a used P55VT50?

I'm in the market and found one locally. Guy took really good care of it, original box, 2 sets of 3D glasses etc. He had it professionally calibrated. He bought it way back in 2012. I had a Samsung Plasma that was too large for our new room, so wanted something in the 55" range and found his Panny. He's asking $375. Good deal? I checked it out and it worked well, picture looked great. I just don't know about investing any money in 2012 tech. Confession: I went to Fry's and bought an LG 4k UH6030 for around $500 (coupon) and I'm really struggling to get the picture up to Plasma standards. When I get 4k content it looks pretty good, but man do I miss the dynamic
range of my Plasma.... so should I return it and buy an old P55VT50? He was a regular TV watcher so i know it has some hours in it, but maybe it will keep rockin' for another 5 years?!

smiling's my favorite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14192 of 14218 Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgebrown View Post
I'm in the market and found one locally. Guy took really good care of it, original box, 2 sets of 3D glasses etc. He had it professionally calibrated. He bought it way back in 2012. I had a Samsung Plasma that was too large for our new room, so wanted something in the 55" range and found his Panny. He's asking $375. Good deal? I checked it out and it worked well, picture looked great. I just don't know about investing any money in 2012 tech. Confession: I went to Fry's and bought an LG 4k UH6030 for around $500 (coupon) and I'm really struggling to get the picture up to Plasma standards. When I get 4k content it looks pretty good, but man do I miss the dynamic
range of my Plasma.... so should I return it and buy an old P55VT50? He was a regular TV watcher so i know it has some hours in it, but maybe it will keep rockin' for another 5 years?!
As long as my 2012 55VT50 lasts, I have absolutely no interest in any of the newer technologies. Sure, OLED looks great, although I have not done a studied comparison. All I know is that I look at the picture on the VT50 and it is truly excellent, a beautiful thing to behold every day with any type of programming.

You can't go wrong for the price you mention IMHO. What if you have bad luck and the TV conks out after six months or a year? Well, then you've had a great picture for that time at a cheap enough price. But if the TV is in fine shape right now, I would guess it will last much longer.

Hell, if I had an extra room in my condo, I'd buy the thing as a backup. I say go for it!

Phil
post #14193 of 14218 Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:

If you watch TV in a very bright room, then you might actually be better with the LED/LCD.

On the other hand, if you watch in a medium to dark room, then the VT50 would be the better choice.....in my opinion which might not be worth that much. lol

Actually, I had a somewhat similar situation. I had one too many big screen TVs. Kept the VT50 because in the room that I was going to use it, having darker blacks was worth more to me that a brighter overall picture.

post #14194 of 14218 Old 04-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
No brainer. Get it. Check the hrs before you buy. If over 10k bargain him down a few more bucks.
post #14195 of 14218 Old 04-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a 65" vt50 prof calibrated and bought an oled65g6p wondering what I could sell it for? I'm in Santa Rosa California and it is in a box but one bought from moving company so don't know how it would survive shipping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14196 of 14218 Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm hoping someone can help...I sold a 55" VT50 to a friend last year. I know that he confirmed it worked when he took it home, but I don't really know if he kept using it or not, as they were building a house etc.

He recently moved into his new place, and says that when he went to power it on, nothing happened, no power light and not blinking.

I suggested he hold the power button on the set for 60 seconds, but is there anything else that he can try?

I'd gotten a warranty for it, but unfortunately it's expired.

Maybe a fuse?

Last edited by dpeters11; 05-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.
post #14197 of 14218 Old 05-19-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Sounds like its not getting power.

First, I'd check to be sure that the power cord hadn't wiggled loose on the back of the display.

Since this is a new house, it wouldn't hurt to check the power outlet to be sure that its getting power.
post #14198 of 14218 Old 05-28-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2219 Post(s)
Liked: 3411
How do you check the hours on a VT50?

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #14199 of 14218 Old 05-30-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
How do you check the hours on a VT50?
Here is the method I had documented from way back when. I don't recall the source, but it worked for a me a time or too, granted it's been 4 years since I last did it.

1)Press and hold the "VOL -" button ON THE PLASMA TV.
Do not release the "VOL-" button just yet.

2)While holding the "VOL-" button on the TV set itself, now press the "INFO" button on the remote control 3 times

"Start Adjustment Menu" message will be displayed followed by the Service Menu after few seconds.

You should see this as your display:

ADJUST {Picture Adjustment}
WB-ADJUST {White Balance Adjustment}
OPTION {Option Setting}
V-SUS {V-SUS Adjustment}
AGING
SRV-TOOL {Service Tool}
"1" & "2" buttons move through options

This is your first button press while in the above display:
3) Press the "2" button once to select "SRV-TOOL".

Your display will look like this:

SRV-TOOL VIVID
00 (note that this 00 is high lighted in orange. Just leave it there. Do not scroll away from this)

1,2:MAIN SELECT
9 :Picture MANU SELECT
OK:ENTER

4) Then press the "OK" button to access it. Note: Do not scroll. you should not highlight the OK selection on your screen. You are simply hitting the "OK" button on your remote.

5) Using the cursor keys, highlight the right side of the last item "PTCT :00.00.00.00.00" Note the "right side" of the last item is a blank box for time being.

Your movements with the remote control cursor on your remote should be five presses down and one press to the right in order to accomplish step #5

6) Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.

Time and Count will be displayed in red color:
I got Time 00000:48 Count 0000020

__TIME = Hours : Minutes of operation.
COUNT = Times the Plasma was powered on.

7) To exit, unplug the power cable. Or hold down the exit
Button on the remote (results in the TV turning off/on automatically
RxpSGR and jbrady3324 like this.

JVC DLA-RS600, 110" Stewart Cima Neve, Oppo UDP-203, TiVo Bolt, Denon X4300H
Dual Rythmik FV15HP, Energy Veritas Fronts and Surrounds, 4x RSL C34E for Atmos
post #14200 of 14218 Old 06-26-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I've been using DLNA on my 65VT50 quite a bit more in recent months to stream movies from our home theater PC. Everything is contained in mkv's and plays flawless over the network.

My issue is that fast-forward or rewind will just restart the video??? Anyone else experienced this before?

My DLNA server is JR Media Center running on my HTPC.

Thanks!
post #14201 of 14218 Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelms View Post
Hello,

I've been using DLNA on my 65VT50 quite a bit more in recent months to stream movies from our home theater PC. Everything is contained in mkv's and plays flawless over the network.

My issue is that fast-forward or rewind will just restart the video??? Anyone else experienced this before?

My DLNA server is JR Media Center running on my HTPC.

Thanks!
FF and REW work for me. How about using the select button to pause and drag along the timeline?

I have a different problem. I can't get anything but 2-channel stereo out of an mkv.

So I never use the TV for DLNA, but my BD player does the trick.

Phil
post #14202 of 14218 Old 07-02-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
I'm sad to report my 65vt50 is sick. Purchased in Aug 2012 and has been trouble free until last week when a lightning strike cause major issues at the house. Panamax and the circuits breakers took most of the hit but my DTV gear must have fed something through the HDMI and now all HDMI inputs are shot.

Tv powers on/off, changes inputs and behaves as it should.

Any suggestions on how to repair and save my baby? I'm near Houston.

Appreciate all suggestions.

Well it took 7 months but my 65VT50 is back at home. The HDMI main board had to be refurbished. Only a couple days of use but pic looks ok.

post #14203 of 14218 Old 07-15-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Well it took 7 months but my 65VT50 is back at home. The HDMI main board had to be refurbished. Only a couple days of use but pic looks ok.

Great to hear. Just created this account after skimming through this monster thread to see what people's experiences were when they bought this TV 5 years ago out of curiousity. I bought the 65"VT off of craigslist in Dec. 2016 because I prefer plasma over LED and would rather wait a few more years for prices to drop on OLEDs. I paid $1,000 and it had about 5,000 hours on it. Probably a little high but the gentleman who sold it to me was a single guy with no kids who took very good care of it (he had just picked up a LG OLED) so for me it has been worth it. I must say after 7 months this TV has been a game changer for me. My previous TV was a 50" plasma so the size increase is awesome and it has no issues whatsoever. I agree with some in this thread who say the only drawback is picture quality for compressed, less-than 1080p sources, but my receiver has a video processor which once I turned on helps a lot for DirecTV viewing. If anyone ever reads this, just want to throw out there that this impressive set is still going strong and much appreciated by someone who bought it on the used market.
cockatiel likes this.
post #14204 of 14218 Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently experienced the 7 blink error code on a Panasonic plasma TC-P55VT50. I've replaced the SU/SD/SC boards but I'm still getting the same error code. Based on various user manuals I've found online, it appears my problem could either be the P board, A board or the panel. Hoping someone who has experience troubleshooting this model might be able to provide some guidance to help narrow it down.

Prior to receiving the 7 blink error code the TV appeared to be functioning just fine with no noticeable changes in picture quality. However, the TV does have a history of shutting itself down. It's probably happened about 5 times in the past 5 years. Often the automatic shutdown was preceded by a very loud buzzing sound and the screen going black.

Any help or suggestions with diagnosing the problem or further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry
post #14205 of 14218 Old 08-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quick question:

I have a 65" VT50 with just over 8100 hours of use. I will be upgrading to an 65" OLED around this holiday season, it's going to be too big for the our bedroom and WAY to big for the office. Is it worth selling? If so, how much do you think I get can get for it?

Thanks again!
post #14206 of 14218 Old 08-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLord View Post
Quick question:

I have a 65" VT50 with just over 8100 hours of use. I will be upgrading to an 65" OLED around this holiday season, it's going to be too big for the our bedroom and WAY to big for the office. Is it worth selling? If so, how much do you think I get can get for it?

Thanks again!
$500 or more
post #14207 of 14218 Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLord View Post
Quick question:

Thanks again!

When my 65" was fixed I moved it to our master bedroom (displacing the 55") at a viewing distance of 11-12'. I think you'd get more mileage using it than selling and I bet you'd get no more than $200-$300.

Plus I'm sure your wife/SO will enjoy the extra inches in the bedroom.

post #14208 of 14218 Old 08-23-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When my 65" was fixed I moved it to our master bedroom (displacing the 55") at a viewing distance of 11-12'. I think you'd get more mileage using it than selling and I bet you'd get no more than $200-$300.

I'd completely agree. Hang onto that thing as you won't get the value for it by selling it.

Also, was the pun intended on that last statement?

post #14209 of 14218 Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

post #14210 of 14218 Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So this morning I turn on my unit for the games and there appears a 2-3? vertical black bar in the right 1/3rd of the screen.

OF COURSE my 5 year warranty expired in August, A Google search showed a lot of videos but I am more concerned with causes of this, and how I should proceed with repair... who do I call/contact?

I did notice earlier in the morning having difficulty turning the unit on

I followed this thread post for post while it was coming out and a search didn?t seem to have this issue pop up very much.

Can anyone point me on some self diagnostics, or how I should proceed for repair?

I am able to watch TV in 480 P mode in 4:3 aspect ratio and the black bar is just to the right of the screen that eats up the gray bar

Please help, I am beyond distraught

Last edited by billmich; 09-23-2017 at 10:19 AM.
post #14211 of 14218 Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2+ weeks, no response? This thread is now officially DEAD

RIP VT50 thread
post #14212 of 14218 Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump for you....
post #14213 of 14218 Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
So this morning I turn on my unit for the games and there appears a 2-3? vertical black bar in the right 1/3rd of the screen.

OF COURSE my 5 year warranty expired in August, A Google search showed a lot of videos but I am more concerned with causes of this, and how I should proceed with repair... who do I call/contact?

I did notice earlier in the morning having difficulty turning the unit on

I followed this thread post for post while it was coming out and a search didn?t seem to have this issue pop up very much.

Can anyone point me on some self diagnostics, or how I should proceed for repair?

I am able to watch TV in 480 P mode in 4:3 aspect ratio and the black bar is just to the right of the screen that eats up the gray bar

Please help, I am beyond distraught
Ribbon cables sometimes need to be unplugged, cleaned off and then re inserted. Take the back off and unplug the ribbon cables that are below the bars, blow off any dust and re insert. See if that does the trick.
post #14214 of 14218 Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Ribbon cables sometimes need to be unplugged, cleaned off and then re inserted. Take the back off and unplug the ribbon cables that are below the bars, blow off any dust and re insert. See if that does the trick.
Thank you, I have found similar advice on the web, I am leaving everything along until after the holidays and then will take my unit apart.

One of my biggest bummers is the fact that if I do replace my set, I won't have a 3-D capable set anymore since the new 4K sets don't sup[port it. I have more than a few 3-D discs that I collected to watch with my daughter
post #14215 of 14218 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I'd completely agree. Hang onto that thing as you won't get the value for it by selling it.

Also, was the pun intended on that last statement?
Just sold my 65VT50 for $1025.00. Had about 6000 hours on it. Took a couple months of keeping it listed on CL, but paid off.
post #14216 of 14218 Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzabuck View Post
Just sold my 65VT50 for $1025.00. Had about 6000 hours on it. Took a couple months of keeping it listed on CL, but paid off.
Good to hear you got paid for it! That's more than I would have expected and seems like a worthy sell.

post #14217 of 14218 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Good to hear you got paid for it! That's more than I would have expected and seems like a worthy sell.
It was tough taking it off the wall though. Had second thoughts as i was putting it in the box. But, I figured for that price it's best to take the cash and invest in something new. From my limited research it has to be OLED and now just not sure which to get. I can get what seems like a very good deal through AAFES on the Sony XBR65A1E or LG OLED65E7P. Both would be the same exact price in the 2800 range. Anyone have any advice on either?
post #14218 of 14218 Old Today, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzabuck View Post
If mine is a complete loss, I would consider paying $1,000 for a VT50 (or newer) instead of 3K on a new display
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page