Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My first movie I'm watching on my 65VT50 tonight is a 1.85:1 with black bars on top and bottom. Afterwards, I'll report on what I find as far as any IR, if any. The movie is about 2 hours, 45 minutes long. (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest).

I've downloaded some slides for plasma break-in that I'll use to evaluate any Image Retention. I really doubt that I'll detect anything, because, I have never seen anybody showing pictures of their TV's with some sort of burnt in bars caused by watching movies. Also, seems to be kind of hard to create any IR when there is no image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

Do you guys think its safe to watch 3 hour movie with black bars on top and bottom?

You bet, then watch tv in full screen. If you mix it up you will never have to worry. Odds are you would not have to worry anyway but.........
post #1443 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
I am running these settings right now and they look good.
post #1444 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Wow...sounds like the panny is treating you well...just about to exchange my pn64e8000 for the 65vt50..can't wait to compare..what are your picture setting, and what is your viewing environment like. Thanks

My settings are a little ways back and I did not go into the 10 point or WB settings. But my settings seem to jive with some of he others I have seen. I have two big windows in my living room that are a non issue thus far. I watch mostly Directv and BR content the rest of the time. I will repost my settings in a minute for you. I did try the d7000 and liked it much more than I thought I would but still prefer the vt50 overall quite a bit more.

Good luck and be sure to post your experiences with the 50 once you get it.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #1445 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Updated precal settings based on guru's advise:

Custom mode
Contrast +78 ( settled around here after the smoke cleared from advice of members)
Brightness +52 (any higher and blacks suffered greatly)
Tint 0
Color +50
Sharpness +12 ( I still prefer this to zero)
Warm 1
Cats off
VNR off
Block NR off
Mosquito off
Motion smoother Weak or off
Black level light

Pro settings:
Panel brightness Mid
AGC 0
Gamma 2.4

Rest is default

I use HD size 1 for satellite viewing because I greatly prefer it to seeing the crap at the top of the screen on most channels. I go to Size 2 for critical viewing.

If you crave serious brightgness or are in a very bright room, thx bright room or game mode will make your Set look like an led

Here you go bro

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #1446 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riztnack View Post

lol, what I mean is I play alot of games on my tv, diablo 3 for instance. on my VT25 I would get a nice IR that would take a few hours of watching tv to remove it where as I can shut down my source and have no retention of the static images. I know its possible to get IR but I am having a hard time getting any like my vt25 did.

So you're getting less IR and it's easier to get rid of the IR that you do get. That's good.
post #1447 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrat View Post

My first movie I'm watching on my 65VT50 tonight is a 1.85:1 with black bars on top and bottom. Afterwards, I'll report on what I find as far as any IR, if any. The movie is about 2 hours, 45 minutes long. (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest).

I've downloaded some slides for plasma break-in that I'll use to evaluate any Image Retention. I really doubt that I'll detect anything, because, I have never seen anybody showing pictures of their TV's with some sort of burnt in bars caused by watching movies. Also, seems to be kind of hard to create any IR when there is no image.

The difference between 1.78:1 (the exact sixe of your screen) and 1.85:1 is very little. In a dim room you wont even know the black bars are there. You're right, you won't see a thing.

"The girl" movies are great. I'm addicted to them.
post #1448 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Will the screen of the VT50 have more or less problems with incoming sunlight then an almost 8 year philips plasma?
post #1449 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

My VT30 did not have IR, just all out burn in. After running slde,s I spent the next two days spending a lot of time in the Menu and found the word "Menu " burnt into the screen like others have reported. Now I say burnt in because I ran the pixel flipper every night for over 30 nights and could still see it plain as day. Now granted I was in the menu like a lunatic but it did happen. Also keep in mind that it was only visible on slides.

I really thought that you knew better. That's not burn in and it barely is IR if you have to hunt for it with slides.

post #1450 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes, but I didn't do it until our display had a couple hundred hours on it. The main thing is to always watch plenty of full screen material that doesn't have high contrast fixed images. I have no idea if waiting a couple hundred hours made any difference. It made me feel better.

It did in my parents GT30. When they first got it, the TV menus would stick around even when only displayed for 20 seconds. I ran break-in slides on it for 150 hours and then they started normal usage. After about 100 more hours, nothing was sticking around on that TV anymore. My father loves watching golf and despite those sports tickers on the bottom, they have not had any issues with IR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riztnack View Post

I played diablo 3 for 5 hours last night and I was shocked not to find a ounce of ir. I was sure I would have found something, so far loving my tc-p65vt50!

You're the second person to report a 5 hour gaming session (The first was a GT50 owner) to report no traces of IR. That's pretty amazing. One of my worries is I am a gamer myself and since I have a lot of free time right now, I've been gaming a lot more than normal. I like the thought that I can actually game without having to think about my TV. Especially now that I found a new addiction called Dragons Dogma.

Bravo Panasonic on fixing the IR issues of the last few generations!
post #1451 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma1970 View Post

Will the screen of the VT50 have more or less problems with incoming sunlight then an almost 8 year philips plasma?

It should have less problem if the sun isn't directly hitting the screen. LCD technology should have even less problem.
post #1452 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

Thanx man, Yea I will hold on to my set which I love by the way but knowing that CNET stated that custom mode on my VT30 was no good due to the settings not working right for them I felt that this years model would improve the pq even more without having to drop 400 on a calibration.

But I feel that THX mode is good enough for me and things look great.

Thanx.

I think the question you have to ask is, how well does a calibrated VT30 compare to an uncalibrated VT50?
post #1453 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:

It should have less problem if the sun isn't directly hitting the screen. LCD technology should have even less problem.

The sun shines in the living room from the right to the wall where the TV is going to hang. On the other hand: Our current TV hangs at the same wall, and though we have light in the screen from the light outside, it doesn't bother us. Maybe we are less picky compared to others
post #1454 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

It did in my parents GT30. When they first got it, the TV menus would stick around even when only displayed for 20 seconds. I ran break-in slides on it for 150 hours and then they started normal usage. After about 100 more hours, nothing was sticking around on that TV anymore. My father loves watching golf and despite those sports tickers on the bottom, they have not had any issues with IR.

You're the second person to report a 5 hour gaming session (The first was a GT50 owner) to report no traces of IR. That's pretty amazing. One of my worries is I am a gamer myself and since I have a lot of free time right now, I've been gaming a lot more than normal. I like the thought that I can actually game without having to think about my TV. Especially now that I found a new addiction called Dragons Dogma.

Bravo Panasonic on fixing the IR issues of the last few generations!

I have logged a bunch of 3+ hours gaming sessions on mine without a trace of IR..
post #1455 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

My facts are separate from my opinions. Example:

The VT50 silver bezel hotspots when incident light hits it. That's a fact. Period.

The GT50 design is ugly. That's an opinion. Period.

That the incident light is a problem is also an opinion.
post #1456 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM

My pre-apology if this has already been answered, but ....

What are the dimensions (width & length) of the 65" VT50 screen (including bezel)? Also, what are dimensions of the 55"?
post #1457 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalEd View Post

My pre-apology if this has already been answered, but ....

What are the dimensions (width & length) of the 65" VT50 screen (including bezel)? Also, what are dimensions of the 55"?

The Panasonic web site will show you all the dementions you will need.
post #1458 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrat View Post

No IR or change in pixels of any kind after watching the 1.85:1 movie for almost 3 hours as the first use of the TV.
post #1459 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Popped in the planet earth caves episode tonight. Noticed a LOT more detail in one of the cave scenes when compared with my 5080. Could be that I'm seeing detail that was never intended to be scene or it could be that the shadow detail on this set is better than my 5080.

I'll also say this set still glows on an all black screen in a dark room, anyone that says otherwise doesn't know what to look for. OR and this is a possibility I suppose, I have a setting wrong?

BluRay on this set looks absolutely stunning.
post #1460 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

Popped in the planet earth caves episode tonight. Noticed a LOT more detail in one of the cave scenes when compared with my 5080. Could be that I'm seeing detail that was never intended to be scene or it could be that the shadow detail on this set is better than my 5080.

I'll also say this set still glows on an all black screen in a dark room, anyone that says otherwise doesn't know what to look for. OR and this is a possibility I suppose, I have a setting wrong?

BluRay on this set looks absolutely stunning.

Your black levels might drop a little after ~100 hours, probably to ~0.002 - 0.0025fL. With those numbers, you should be able to see some light, but it should be VERY dark and only a little bit visible. Considering you're describing it as 'glowing', something doesn't sound right. Perhaps your levels aren't matching your device player (ie: TV is expecting full range 0-255 but the player is outputting limited 16-235 range) or your Brightness control is set too high.
post #1461 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Your black levels might drop a little after ~100 hours, probably to ~0.002 - 0.0025fL. With those numbers, you should be able to see some light, but it should be VERY dark and only a little bit visible. Considering you're describing it as 'glowing', something doesn't sound right. Perhaps your levels aren't matching your device player (ie: TV is expecting full range 0-255 but the player is outputting limited 16-235 range) or your Brightness control is set too high.

Brightness is set at 50...much above that and MLL suffers greatly.

It isn't glowing like a light but it is a very very dark grey. Darker than my 5080HD but still not black as some have asserted.

When it comes to black bars those definitely appear black if there's other content on the screen. But a 75 or 80% black screen does emit some light.
post #1462 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
Quote:

It isn't glowing like a light but it is a very very dark grey. Darker than my 5080HD but still not black as some have asserted.

When it comes to black bars those definitely appear black if there's other content on the screen. But a 75 or 80% black screen does emit some light.

Ok, that's probably normal then. You need the MLL to be VERY low to not be visible in a dark room (like a 9/9.5G Kuro). 0.002fL will be visible for sure, but it should look very dark.

The light output of black is almost the same regardless of what's on screen, but it's the light from bright images that causes blacks to appear blacker. The higher the APL (average picture level), the deeper the blacks will appear.

edit: I assumed you had a 65VT50 for some reason. If you have a 50/55, the black levels will probably be closer to 0.004 - 0.005fL.
post #1463 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

Wow...sounds like the panny is treating you well...just about to exchange my pn64e8000 for the 65vt50..can't wait to compare..what are your picture setting, and what is your viewing environment like. Thanks

im doing the same just waiting for stock of the vt50 65 inch to hit australian shores i am interested in seeing njust what difference is like between the two panels
post #1464 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

I also have the 55". In normal scenes the black bars appear black but a screen that's mostly black definitely does glow a bit.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #1465 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's possible to see detail that wasn't intended. I'm not sure how to avoid that unless your are sure that you know what a film looked like in a theater that has high standards. There aren't many theaters around like that.

Another way is to get a professional calibration from someone that has a very good reputation. Those folks usually have demo material where they know for sure how it is supposed to look.

Quote:

'll also say this set still glows on an all black screen in a dark room, anyone that says otherwise doesn't know what to look for. OR and this is a possibility I suppose, I have a setting wrong?

A totally black screen will not look as dark as very dark portions of an image where you are seeing the dark area in relationship with bright areas.
post #1466 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Just got word my TV should be shipping in little over a week. Having it broke-in for 150 hours and professionally calibrated before I get it.
post #1467 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 PM

Liked: 14
I just placed an order for a 65 inch VT50 an hour ago, so that makes me an owner, no?

After reading the forums and agonizing over possible choices for months, I was finally was able to run a side-by-side-by-side comparo at Best Buy between a GT50 (VT50's are in stock, but not in this showroom), E8000, and Sharp Elite, which were arranged in a row. BB was playing The Matrix (split signal), and I set all the TV's to THX, just so there would be a standardized benchmark.

Seeing the images was a revelation after reading the reviews and closely following the VE HDTV shootout. I can't believe that the calibrators and audience spent more than ten minutes analyzing and debating the TV's.

The GT50 destroyed, and I mean DESTROYED the other sets. It's not even close. The colors looked like film. Absolutely spot-on skin tones, blacks, etc. Motion is perfect, everything uniform and crisp. I have a film editor friend who cuts on an AVID hooked up to a 60" Pioneer Kuro, which looks terrific. The GT50 is better.

Whatever color accuracy the D8000 had is no longer there in the E8000. Skin tones were cartoonishly red. Not even in the running. Samsung has really taken their eye off the ball, wasting time on a WiiTV, when Apple is about to come out with a Siri TV that will make the E8000's clumsy interface look like a bad game of charades.

And then the Elite, which I went in expecting to buy. What. Are. People. Smoking. The colors were laughably inaccurate in THX mode, which is incomprehensible at the price point. I tried another Elite in THX, a 70", which was hooked directly up to a Blu-Ray, just to make sure it wasn't the other set set or the feed or the humidity or a butterfly's wings flapping in Japan. Still, despite the KC Daylighter brightness, it looks no better than the Samsung ES8000 or Sony 929. It's a joke. The BB salespeople can't even keep a straight face about the price. Sure the Elite's blacks are Steinway black, but the monomaniacal focus on black levels seems to be missing the point, like buying a photograph for the frame. If you're watching a movie, and you're looking at the shadows rather than the actors' faces, why bother having a TV? Just paint the wall black and stare at that -- you're supposed to be watching the colors!

So, while I agree with the results of the VE shootout, it should have taken a lot less time and debate. It's pretty simple. Panasonic makes the best televisions available, hands down. I went home and bought the VT50 without a moment's hesitation.

So relieved to be a part of the right cult.
post #1468 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:

A totally black screen will not look as dark as very dark portions of an image where you are seeing the dark area in relationship with bright areas.

This. Even a OLED screen will not look as dark with a black screen up in a dark room. Same holds true for a CRT, even the high end ones.
post #1469 of 13635 Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalEd View Post

That the incident light is a problem is also an opinion.

That it hotspots is not an opinion. That it hotspots is a fact.

The part where you describe that as a problem is not in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post

So relieved to be a part of the right cult.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid though.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #1470 of 13635 Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 AM

Nice shootout so far....bet the VT50 wins...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page