Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoprock View Post

I'm torn too. I can get a 65ST30 for the same price as I can the 55ST50. My room is not all that bright, no direct sunlight will be hitting it, plus, I'm going to mount it on a full swivel mount. My room isn't DARK, but it's definitely not "bright".

I'm pleased as punch with my 30" Wide Screen Samsung CRT HD TV that is ancient, just too small. So, I'm thinking anything will be an improvement.

I want Plasma because of the viewing angle issue, and will be sitting in a radius of 8-11 ft from it dead center on a sectional. So a 55" is just big enough, but a 65 will be as well.

I saw the ST50 side by side w/ a new Samsung LED at Best Buy, and it did look much darker, but the 3D was oustanding. All of the LED's were brighter, and would be.

I'll be using it to watch HDTV via Comcast, BR Movies, and playing Xbox.

10" same price. What to do!?

I just can't decide!!

you would be out of your mind to pay the same price for 10" less viewing screen. 30 and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 PM

Liked: 10
I can get a 65VT30 for a few hundred dollars less than the best price I've seen on a 65ST50. I've read the reviews saying that the ST50 is better than the VT30 but I have a few practical questions for you experts out there.

When they do those comparisons the sets are tuned by the best experts in the field. Not everyone even bothers to get their set calibrated let alone has access to the very small number of real experts. And, I believe I've read that all sets will "drift" over time, which means either recalibration by an expert, or a do it yourself "tuneup". So what I'm wondering is ... how much difference would there be between a VT30 and an ST50 on average over the life of the set - not just at the very moment after they have been calibrated by an expert? How long will an expert calibration "last"? Wouldn't the greater "tunability" of the VT3) allow for more frequent and better "do it yourself" adjustments such that the VT30 might actually look better than the ST50 most of the time.

I'm really not interested in how a tv will look at a single point in time since I will likely own it for a few years (unlike many of you who seem to upgrade regularly). Nor am I likely to want to spend a few hundred dollars several times over the life of the set to get it periodically recalibrated. Please bear with me here, my budget is not the same as many of yours.
post #33 of 41 Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM

I think I've talked myself out of a plasma. My room is not right for the dimness of one. I'm going to got LED, but have NO CLUE which one to buy in the $1500-$2000, 3D range. So, the search begins... and i have to decide like QUICK.

J
post #34 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM

A few reasons for me (I just bought the 65VT30).

1) Panasonic has had trouble in the past with black levels getting lighter. CNET and other places have tested the black levels on the 30 series, they get darker. I could assume Panasonic fixed the problem and the ST50 won't suffer from getting lighter over time....... but I don't like assuming. I like knowing.

2) The VT30 weighs significantly more than the ST50, so either Panasonic is using cheaper parts or replaced the glass screen with plastic. I like the look and durability of the glass.

3) The VT30 has more picture controls than the ST50.

4) The VT30 came with a free pair of 3D glasses.

Truthfully the difference between the ST50 and VT30 are pretty much so small it isn't worth caring about, at least IMHO. The VT30 looks spectacular and I couldn't be happier. The VT50 just isn't worth the extra money, not for such a small jump in picture quality. Anyway that is why 3 weeks ago I went with the VT30.
post #35 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrkeller View Post

A few reasons for me (I just bought the 65VT30).

1) Panasonic has had trouble in the past with black levels getting lighter. CNET and other places have tested the black levels on the 30 series, they get darker. I could assume Panasonic fixed the problem and the ST50 won't suffer from getting lighter over time....... but I don't like assuming. I like knowing.

2) The VT30 weighs significantly more than the ST50, so either Panasonic is using cheaper parts or replaced the glass screen with plastic. I like the look and durability of the glass.

3) The VT30 has more picture controls than the ST50.

4) The VT30 came with a free pair of 3D glasses.

Truthfully the difference between the ST50 and VT30 are pretty much so small it isn't worth caring about, at least IMHO. The VT30 looks spectacular and I couldn't be happier. The VT50 just isn't worth the extra money, not for such a small jump in picture quality. Anyway that is why 3 weeks ago I went with the VT30.

Actually in CNet's latest results the VT30 went up to .0068 which was higher than the ST30 at the same time frame.
post #36 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Actually in CNet's latest results the VT30 went up to .0068 which was higher than the ST30 at the same time frame.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...=mncol;rvwBody

"Black on all three Panasonics got slightly darker over time until 1,500 hours, after which it brightened slightly (aside from the VT30, which hasn't aged beyond 1,500 hours yet)."

For me 1500 hours will take years to reach. I am happy knowing the black level on my HDTV will not change much over time. To my knowledge nobody has done black level studies os the 50 series as of yet. Just my 2 cents.

Also CNET had this to say:

"The ST50 handily outperforms its predecessor, with deeper blacks, more accurate color, and an improved bright-room image. The picture is so good, in fact, that it scored the same as the flagship VT30 I lauded last year, and in person it's tough to tell the two apart."

I have to agree. In the end both TVs are pretty much the same. Except one comes with 3D glasses, has more picture controls and has a glass front. My personal preference. I am not worried about some minimal measurable difference my eye can't pick up in terms of picture quality.
post #37 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM

boy, i'm not fanatical enough about TV to want to have to flip a TV every few years for the latest and greatest. But I can appreciate those who want to do that.

I must admit, I check out the 55" ST30 in the stores, and was

A. Shocked by how heavy plasmas are.

B. Disappointed by how dark the picture is compared to LED (on plasmas in General).

C. Surprised that you can't make them bright like an LED no matter how hard you try.

D. The picture looks great, but dang... too dark for my taste. It suits people who have a dedicated room theatre room I'm sure.

Although, at Sams Club, when viewing ALL The big TV's from 15-20ft at an angle, there were times that the ST30 caught my eye as looking like the best one!! But then as I moved towards it and stood in front of it, it almost looked worse. Very strange. The content Sams was showing was changing rapidly. So maybe that had something to do with it? Because I would swear at times that Panny looked great, but other times markedly worse.

Out of all of the TV's on Display at Sams and Best Buy, the one that looked the best in both stores, no matter was being displayed, was a 55" Sony Bravia, 3D, Motionplay or something like that. But I can't justify the $2K price and I don't need a 3D BR player.

j
post #38 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM

The lighting in a store is much more bright than in your home. Plasma sets are not dim, but appear so in stores only because of the overly bright lights. It really isn't in issue once you get a plasma in a proper setting. Just FYI, I am not out to change your mind.
post #39 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM

The ST50 gets more bright than I would ever want it. I think I have my brightness setting around 55.

I'd hardly call it dim.
post #40 of 41 Old 06-01-2012, 03:59 PM

If budget was an issue, and you are not a videophile. But do appreciate a good picture and value.
Would you buy the 65gt30 over the 60st50, if you usually watching at night time about 13 feet away from screen??
This is hardest decision of my life!

WD 73740 DLP HDTV - 73 inches
Polk RTI 8 Towers
CSi3 Center
Energy 10.3 subwoofer
denon 2112ci receiver
post #41 of 41 Old 06-02-2012, 04:01 AM

If you are not a videophile and just want a good picture, either set will be fine. I'd go with whatever is cheaper and make your wallet happier.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page