Panasonic ST50 vertical viewing angle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys,

I recently bought a new plasma tv, the panasonic 42st50, this is my first plasma tv and I must say that I am impressed. It looks so much better than my old lcd, I do have one question though:

Viewing angles are supposed to be an advantage of plasma technology (or so I've read numerous times), and I must agree to some point, the horizontal viewing angles are perfect yet I'm slightly concerned with the vertical viewing angles. The tv is located roughly one meter from the floor, and the pq is very good while I'm seated, yet when I stand up the the image gets darker.

Is this a natural occurrence for all plasma tvs or maybe for the panasonic st50 lineup or maybe its just a defect on the panel I own?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It's the filter used on these newer tv's to help filter room light and make the tv viewable easier in a brighter room - it's applied directly on the outside of the glass. The downside is as you've noticed, the vertical viewing angle is crap for these plasmas now. It doesn't affect the horizontal viewing angle though, only vertical, so you notice it when you stand up. The only way to get around that is to buy a lower-quality model without the filter, but I think you're much better off with the filter, even though as you noticed it does affect vertical viewing.

F8000 2D settings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F8000 3D settings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

It's the filter used on these newer tv's to help filter room light and make the tv viewable easier in a brighter room - it's applied directly on the outside of the glass. The downside is as you've noticed, the vertical viewing angle is crap for these plasmas now. It doesn't affect the horizontal viewing angle though, only vertical, so you notice it when you stand up. The only way to get around that is to buy a lower-quality model without the filter, but I think you're much better off with the filter, even though as you noticed it does affect vertical viewing.

That makes perfect sense, thank you very much for your reply.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM

What would you say the vertical viewing angle is?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by idemedosumom View Post

Hello guys,

I recently bought a new plasma tv, the panasonic 42st50, this is my first plasma tv and I must say that I am impressed. It looks so much better than my old lcd, I do have one question though:

Viewing angles are supposed to be an advantage of plasma technology (or so I've read numerous times), and I must agree to some point, the horizontal viewing angles are perfect yet I'm slightly concerned with the vertical viewing angles. The tv is located roughly one meter from the floor, and the pq is very good while I'm seated, yet when I stand up the the image gets darker.

Is this a natural occurrence for all plasma tvs or maybe for the panasonic st50 lineup or maybe its just a defect on the panel I own?

It's not a defect on the panel. The ST50/GT50/VT50 series all have what is called a "Louvre Filter" which is designed to reject light from overhead lighting, while allowing the panel light to pass through at normal horizontal viewing angles. Last year's models had a similar filter. It has a sort of "mini-blind" effect similar to partially closed blinds and it does an excellent job of rejecting light from above.

Since nobody ever looks downward on their Plasma TV from above, the fact that it gets darker when doing this is not an issue.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #6 of 10 Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 13
What about the other way around - for instance if the set is wall mounted and it is positioned slightly above seated eye level so that you are looking UP at it?? Does the louvre filter similarly darken the picture in this case?? In my situation I will need to wall mount my GT50 such that the lower edge of the screen is at seated eye level or slightly higher (about 40" above the floor or greater).
post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

What about the other way around - for instance if the set is wall mounted and it is positioned slightly above seated eye level so that you are looking UP at it?? Does the louvre filter similarly darken the picture in this case?? In my situation I will need to wall mount my GT50 such that the lower edge of the screen is at seated eye level or slightly higher (about 40" above the floor or greater).

I'm afraid it looks just about the same to me: looking at the tv while sitting on the floor and looking at it while standing, it gets darker. I suggest you check the tv out in person before making any purchases.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Liked: 12
I noticed that somewhat when I wall mounted my P60ST50 but my mount allowed me to tilt the tv slightly downward and the horizontal viewing improved.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

What about the other way around - for instance if the set is wall mounted and it is positioned slightly above seated eye level so that you are looking UP at it?? ......

Will depend upon seating distance away from the set: if you are "far enough" away, you won't notice the darkening caused by the filter from your seat being somewhat Too Low. (Farther distance = less of an angle)

But a mount with the ability to tilt the panel slightly downward would certainly help avoid the problem.

Do a daily "floor exercise" routine - usually to Mike & Mike on ESPN - and am often only a couple of feet away from, and therefore looking rather sharply upward at, our ST50: the darkening at that angle is dramatic!

But at our normal 9ft viewing distance (60" panel) you would have to be Very Tall before the filter would be a problem!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Hmm, that won't be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Do a daily "floor exercise" routine - usually to Mike & Mike on ESPN - and am often only a couple of feet away from, and therefore looking rather sharply upward at, our ST50: the darkening at that angle is dramatic!

But at our normal 9ft viewing distance (60" panel) you would have to be Very Tall before the filter would be a problem!

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page