Samsung PN51E550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good Afternoon All,

I purchased the PN51E550 several weeks ago, and I have a question regarding watching hockey games, on this particular model. I have the TV set on vivid mode, as I like it to bright, and crisp. However, when watching hockey games the brightness seems to fluctuate when the players go back and forth on the ice. At first i thought, oh great its the brightness pops from the D550 model all over again, but they dont seem noticeable at all in anything other than hockey. Is it because of the white ice and the way the TV interprets it? Could it be the contrast is up at 100 and that is conflicting with the brightness on the ice? I did have the Panny UT50 for several weeks but returned it due to PQ, but never saw this fluctuation with that model. Changing settings to Standard seems to exhibit the same type thing, although there plenty of options to change, and i'm not sure exactly what to change and what not to. I'd like to see if anyone else sees this for there plasma TV's regardless of TV type/model and also if anyone else has this TV, they have the same issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
It has been mentioned that that is flashes from cameras. They flash and reflect off of the ice.

Also, I would STRONGLY advise getting out of vivid mode. It is harder on the TV to crank up the contrast, makes plasmas more likely to get image retention, and it crushes the whites. By "crush" I mean that you lose details on white objects. Shirts will glow and you lose the creases, wrinkles, buttons, etc. People also tend to glow orangish and look crazy tanned or sunburned. It can also be too bright and cause eye strain.

Just letting you know. If you love it, then go crazy.

Plasma + OPPO = Greatness
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

This seems different from flashes of the cameras, which I have seen and read about in the forums already. This is when the players are moving up and down the ice the brightness seems to fluctuate from a higher contrast to lower contrast, but enough to notice to drive me crazy. I would love to change the settings from VIVID to standard, but it seems as thought the contrast falls a lot switching to that mode. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommended settings for this model yet?
post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 AM

If you want to see colors ACCURATELY and as realistic as possible, Cinema or Movie mode is almost ALWAYS the correct mode. I set it there and then calibrated using the highly regarded SPEARS & MUNSIL disc.

Cinema
brightness at 42
sharpness at 20
contrast at 77
leave color and tint in the middle
turn off all of the noise reduction etc. settings

It will look dark and strange to someone using Vivid, but vivid is not realistic. Remember, the point of a good TV is to show as accurate and LIFELIKE a picture as possible. Not to blow out the whites, crush blacks, and oversaturate the colors. It should be a "window" and should look like it did the day it was filmed on-set.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychod2 View Post

This seems different from flashes of the cameras, which I have seen and read about in the forums already. This is when the players are moving up and down the ice the brightness seems to fluctuate from a higher contrast to lower contrast, but enough to notice to drive me crazy. I would love to change the settings from VIVID to standard, but it seems as thought the contrast falls a lot switching to that mode. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommended settings for this model yet?

Well keep in mind that this situation seems to be dedicated to hockey games so it can't necessarily be the TV that's the problem. The same complaints come from the Panasonic forums as well. I've seen it on my TV too but it is in fact hard to distinguish if it's cameras or not. In terms of settings the VIVID mode (while anyone can use it) is generally used for store displays to combat the bright lights. As someone said earlier you can definitely raise your changes of getting image retention that will be difficult to remove or at worse get screen burn in.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you like Vivid mode, at least turn the brightness and contrast down. But I would also look at Sports, Cinema, and Standard modes and try tweaking the picture as well. You can still get a sharp, crisp picture that will probably be much better. Unless you really like the look of an LCD in torch mode.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

The reason I like the VIVID mode is the brightness of the screen. I'm coming from a 47" LG LCD, and that was fairly bright. I went plasma because of the excellent picture quality and the fact that it does not have any motion blur, as I watch a lot of sports programming. Also the LED TV's were ungodly expensive and still had the motion blur.

The Samsung has a VIVID, STANDARD, and MOVIE mode. Movie seems to dark to me, and Standard seems to lack the brightness VIVID gives you. I guess its all about configuring Standard mode (which has the most customizable options) to meet my needs. I just wish I could duplicate the contrast of VIVID in Standard mode and eliminate the brightness fluctuations. Does this site have the ability to upload video clips show I could show you what i mean?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Why must people insist on telling others how they must watch their TVs?

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Actually, if you were to look back at my first post, I merely explained what happens on screen when you use vivid. I finished up with "If you love it, then go crazy." You know, to each his own.

My other post just pointed out why people love high end displays and what a "realistic" picture means on these forums.

Why must you post with a one sentence rant that (technically) is off topic?

post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoier View Post

Actually, if you were to look back at my first post, I merely explained what happens on screen when you use vivid. I finished up with "If you love it, then go crazy." You know, to each his own.

My other post just pointed out why people love high end displays and what a "realistic" picture means on these forums.

Why must you post with a one sentence rant that (technically) is off topic?

You mean after the D5600K crowd already derailed the thread with its soapboxy "you're watching TV wrong" rhetoric? Every bit as off topic.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Actually, he asked what he could change.

Later he SPECIFICALLY asked what settings people were using, at which point I posted my settings and how I got them (with a calibration disc).

And of course, AGAIN, no one said he can't watch vivid.

Sorry, but stop with the hostility.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 AM

if i were you i would try standard mode,seems like a lot of people on here use movie mode and while you get a little better detail on faces with that i find it's too yellow and the whites aren't really white,anyway try standard and play with contrast and cell light and such i think you will find it's plenty bright,but like others have said just let your eyes get used to seeing things as more life like instead of super bright,its easier on the t.v. as well as your eyes
post #13 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM

I NEED HELP!!
Ive been searching all over the web but cant find anything that actually makes a difference. I need the best calibration for the Samsung PN51E550 for normal viewing as well as the best calibrations for XBOX 360. someone who knows what they are talking about please help!?
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 AM

What HDMI port should I be using for my Cox Cable Box, Now using the #1 port HDMI/DIV port is
this the correct port? have PN51E550 Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51e550 51 Inch 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page