Panasonic ST50 vs Samsung E7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SIAP or discussed ad nauseam, but I'm pretty much down to these two TVs - both around the 50" mark. I've done a lot of research on both, but can't quite decide between the two. I've been able to view the Samsung in a store, but haven't been able to view the ST50 in store. Do you guys have strong opinions on either?

I watch a lot of movies and tv, as well as a lot of sports (football mostly). I also plan on playing xbox on it, so would one be better for this?

This will be my first plasma, so I want to make a good choice! Any help is definitely appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 AM

I've had my ST50 for a week, after replacing a 1080p Sony Bravia SXRD, and I'm still amazed at how much better the Panasonic looks.

I do a LOT of gaming on 360 and PS3 and the 16ms input lag on the Panny is fantastic. A gamers dream.

Side note - the ST50's in my local Best Buy's really look horrible, as they're set on "Standard" mode, which is quite dull and lifeless. Just a word of warning in case you make a point to view one in the store. The difference is huge once you switch to custom settings or even just "Cinema" mode.

I can't recommend the ST50 enough.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

I've had my ST50 for a week, after replacing a 1080p Sony Bravia SXRD, and I'm still amazed at how much better the Panasonic looks.

I do a LOT of gaming on 360 and PS3 and the 16ms input lag on the Panny is fantastic. A gamers dream.

Side note - the ST50's in my local Best Buy's really look horrible, as they're set on "Standard" mode, which is quite dull and lifeless. Just a word of warning in case you make a point to view one in the store. The difference is huge once you switch to custom settings or even just "Cinema" mode.

Good to know, because it looks dull at my local BB as well. Can't wait to pull the trigger.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The Samsung E7000 is more in line feature-wise with the Panasonic GT50 and they are also closer in price point. The ST50 is more in line with the Samsung E550 series in regards to price point or closer to the E6500 feature-wise. The E7000 has a dual core processor as does the GT50. If you're looking into this price point you should give the GT50 a close look. You get more HDMI and USB ports as well as an additional PC port not available on the ST50.

The E7000 is closer to the high-end of the Samsung line as is the GT50 in the Panasonic line. The ST50 is the mid level of the Panasonic line.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

The Samsung E7000 is more in line feature-wise with the Panasonic GT50 and they are also closer in price point. The ST50 is more in line with the Samsung E550 series in regards to price point or closer to the E6500 feature-wise. The E7000 has a dual core processor as does the GT50. If you're looking into this price point you should give the GT50 a close look. You get more HDMI and USB ports as well as an additional PC port not available on the ST50.

The E7000 is closer to the high-end of the Samsung line as is the GT50 in the Panasonic line. The ST50 is the mid level of the Panasonic line.

Or if you don't need the extra features the GT offers, get the ST50 and save a few hundred bucks to put towards something you want.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

Have you heard anything about the input lag for gaming on the GT50? Somewhere I saw that it was changed upward and not very good.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
To the OP, go with the ST50. And as someone said above, the 16ms input lag really can't be beat for gaming.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
One thing to be very cautious with regarding going into Samsung is the fluctuating brightness. I returned my D7000 last month and bought an ST50 because I couldn't take it anymore. The screen was constantly shifting brightness when displaying darker scenes. The problem is very heavily discussed on the forums here. The problem is it seems to be happening on the E7000/E8000 as well. The ST50 looks spectacular. It's not perfect - none of these sets are - but overall I'm much happier with the ST50.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm also in the market for a plasma and have narrowed down my likely choices to a ST/GT50 or a E7000. My local BestBuy has a 8000 sitting right next to a GT50 in the darkened room area, with the same source DVD playing on both. The thing that is very obvious is how much sharper the E7000 is. I checked the sharpness settings and the GT50 is set right at 50% of the scale, and the E7000 at about 25%. Also, it's a 60" GT50 and a 64" E7000. So, you would expect the GT50 to look sharper, but it's clearly not. In comparison it looks out of focus or smoothed. They've also got a 65" VT50 playing a different source but it also looks soft. I've seen several comments and reports of the Samsung plasmas being sharper than the Pannys but didn't expect it to be so stark a difference. Are there other settings that could account for what I saw, or is this just a known difference?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Get the ST50. Better Picture quality then the Samsung
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page