Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD70GUY View Post

Yeah, the 3D stuff is just fluff to me also. I wouldn't have paid any more to get 3D compatability, it just was there this year for free when I was due to upgrade. I'm only out the $20 for the glasses so far. My reciever was having issues with audio decoding but has awesome SQ so I moved it to the bedroom. I scraped by with a cheap $150 Denon 1312 for now even though it's powering $4k worth of speakers. I will upgrade to something with Neo-X as soon as they make some movies that utilize it, but figured it was a waste for my current situation.

I was looking at upgrading to a Denon 1312 as well since it's so affordable. My Denon 590 cost twice as much three years ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

I was looking at upgrading to a Denon 1312 as well since it's so affordable. My Denon 590 cost twice as much three years ago!

I will tell you that even my girlfriend notices the sound quality difference between the 1312 and my old HK AVR 65, and she has a horrible ear for sound. The sound is just flat, and not the good flat as in frequency response, just flat like lifeless, lacking detail, and hollow. I don't care as much about movie audio as music, so I'm fine scraping by for now, but make no mistake it's just a stopgap to make the remote controlling easier for the family. This thing needs to be turned up to -10db to get the same volume as my AVR 65 gave at -30db. Definitely not enough power to listen to music at the levels I like, but it's fine for now since I live in an apartment with neighbors. On the plus side it works really well for what I need it to do now, and was unbelievably cheap compared to anything that would be a signifigant upgrade. I'd highly recomend it for the price, but it's not audiophile grade obviously.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
1312 is soon to be replaced, just a heads up.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Can someone post or PM me the amazon link to the $20 samsungs that work with the 2012 panasonics?

I won't be watching a lot of 3D content, but I'd like to try it without investing a lot in the glasses. Then possibly pass them down to the kids and get the official Panasonic ones.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajeep View Post

Can someone post or PM me the amazon link to the $20 samsungs that work with the 2012 panasonics?

I won't be watching a lot of 3D content, but I'd like to try it without investing a lot in the glasses. Then possibly pass them down to the kids and get the official Panasonic ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-41...6996638&sr=8-1
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Just ordered a 60st50, a panasonic 220 3d blu-ray player and a couple of the samsung 4100 glasses. I have 3 kids. I want to see how the samsung glasses work before buying more and see how 3d works in general before buying some panny glasses.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Just ordered a 60st50, a panasonic 220 3d blu-ray player and a couple of the samsung 4100 glasses. I have 3 kids. I want to see how the samsung glasses work before buying more and see how 3d works in general before buying some panny glasses.

From what I've been reading the Samsung glasses work pretty well with the 2012 Panasonic TV's. If you can find the Panasonic's locally I would recommend buying a pair and testing the difference. If there's no crosstalk difference then that would be great!.
One thing "IS" different is the amount of light that bleeds from the side of the Samsung glasses. I had a Samsung 3DTV and now I have a Panasonic 2012 model. I bought the Panasonic glasses just to be sure there would be little to no crosstalk issues. The main thing I like about the Panasonic glasses is they cover the sides of your eyes so you get a pure 3D movie experience without interruption of light from the sides of the glasses. If you're in total darkness it may not be a problem so make sure you're okay with this.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

From what I've been reading the Samsung glasses work pretty well with the 2012 Panasonic TV's. If you can find the Panasonic's locally I would recommend buying a pair and testing the difference. If there's no crosstalk difference then that would be great!.
One thing "IS" different is the amount of light that bleeds from the side of the Samsung glasses. I had a Samsung 3DTV and now I have a Panasonic 2012 model. I bought the Panasonic glasses just to be sure there would be little to no crosstalk issues. The main thing I like about the Panasonic glasses is they cover the sides of your eyes so you get a pure 3D movie experience without interruption of light from the sides of the glasses. If you're in total darkness it may not be a problem so make sure you're okay with this.

Good advice. I tried taping up the sides with cardboard cut out from a cereal box. I was suprised how far down my face I had to let the cardboard go to block out the side light. When I got a good result I had four inches of cardboard blinders hanging. It looked goofy, but worked like a charm.

The real problem with the side light isn't that there are no blinders, the problem is Samsung made the glasses an inch too wide on each side. I can place my entire thumb over the outside of the lens and not see it in my field of vision. This extra inch sits wider than your head and does nothing but reflect unwanted light into your eyes. If they had made the glasses with lenses 30% smaller they could have sold a superior product for less money. I'm assuming someone with common sense at Panny or Samsung will do just that soon enough and sell us some good $15 glasses.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I agree with the comments above. I received my pair of Samsung glasses today, and have done some brief testing. The amount of light coming from the side is pretty irritating. I tested with the blinds open directly behind me, and I get strong reflections from inside the lenses. Of course I can close the blinds, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case someone considers the Samsungs where light will be entering from the back. The other thing I don't really like is the use of a flat/watch battery. I assumed they would take a AAA or two, in which case I could use a rechargable, but nope, a somewhat special battery is required.

My brief testing in a lit room demonstrated a good picture, no visible crosstalk yet, but then I haven't watched a movie or something where it might be distracting. My testing was with Super Stardust and Wipeout HD on my PS3.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I agree with the comments above. I received my pair of Samsung glasses today, and have done some brief testing. The amount of light coming from the side is pretty irritating. I tested with the blinds open directly behind me, and I get strong reflections from inside the lenses. Of course I can close the blinds, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case someone considers the Samsungs where light will be entering from the back. The other thing I don't really like is the use of a flat/watch battery. I assumed they would take a AAA or two, in which case I could use a rechargable, but nope, a somewhat special battery is required.

My brief testing in a lit room demonstrated a good picture, no visible crosstalk yet, but then I haven't watched a movie or something where it might be distracting. My testing was with Super Stardust and Wipeout HD on my PS3.

They did the right thing in using a flat battery for the weight and space savings alone. Samsung also has rechargeable if that's what you want.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Mine is supposed to be here by Thurs.. I got the same one.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

So I have an Onkyo 805 that is not 3D,is that gonna be a problem? I do have a 3D blu ray player..
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

So I have an Onkyo 805 that is not 3D,is that gonna be a problem? I do have a 3D blu ray player..

Says who?
Onkyo - 805 Watt 7.2 Channel Audio/Video Receiver

Movie, music, and gaming enthusiasts can now step up to realistic THX Select2 Plus-certified surround sound for less money down with the new TX-NR616 Network A/V Receiver. Onkyo's acclaimed WRAT amplifier with three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry delivers cinema-like power in the home . With Audyssey DSX expansion, you can add extra Wide or Height channels for more enveloping surround sound, while 2EQ acoustic cor rection guarantees optimal performance in any room. Eight HDMI inputs handle 3D content, HD audio, and video display upscaled to 4K with onboar d Qdeo technology. The MHL/HDMI input lets you connect a smart phone for smooth 1080p playback on your TV. Wireless home networking, meanwhile, opens up an exciting world of internet radio and cloud-based music streaming. You can even enjoy your multi-format PC-based music collection over Wi-Fi with an optional USB adapter. Intuitive system controlincluding audio distribution in m ultiple roomsis provided by Onkyo's remote apps for iPod touch/iPhone and Android phone, or press the Quick Set-Up button on the supplied remote for instant mid-program adjustments. Visual input selection with InstaPrevue technology rounds out what is an exceptionally refined and affordable THX receiver.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Says who?
Onkyo - 805 Watt 7.2 Channel Audio/Video Receiver

Movie, music, and gaming enthusiasts can now step up to realistic THX Select2 Plus-certified surround sound for less money down with the new TX-NR616 Network A/V Receiver. Onkyo's acclaimed WRAT amplifier with three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry delivers cinema-like power in the home . With Audyssey DSX expansion, you can add extra Wide or Height channels for more enveloping surround sound, while 2EQ acoustic cor rection guarantees optimal performance in any room. Eight HDMI inputs handle 3D content, HD audio, and video display upscaled to 4K with onboar d Qdeo technology. The MHL/HDMI input lets you connect a smart phone for smooth 1080p playback on your TV. Wireless home networking, meanwhile, opens up an exciting world of internet radio and cloud-based music streaming. You can even enjoy your multi-format PC-based music collection over Wi-Fi with an optional USB adapter. Intuitive system controlincluding audio distribution in m ultiple roomsis provided by Onkyo's remote apps for iPod touch/iPhone and Android phone, or press the Quick Set-Up button on the supplied remote for instant mid-program adjustments. Visual input selection with InstaPrevue technology rounds out what is an exceptionally refined and affordable THX receiver.

That's the problem with your response.. Its not the 805..
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about that. Well you could always run the HDMI cable from the 3D player directly to the TV and run the audio directly to the receiver via optical from the 3D player.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

I was wondering can you use the Samsung glasses and the Panasonic glasses at the same time? I ordered a pair of Panny's for myself, but am thinking of ordering a pair or two of Sammy's others in the house who will watch TV with me.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can use both brands at the same time. There's nothing that is not compatible.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, you can use both brands at the same time. There's nothing that is not compatible.

Nice! I needed the Panasonic's to fit my rather large cranium, but the Samsung's should fit everyone else. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! I needed the Panasonic's to fit my rather large cranium, but the Samsung's should fit everyone else. Thanks.

I have two pairs of Panasonice glasses and three Samsungs.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone yet compared 3D quality with the Panasonic vs Samsung glasses?

I thought someone commented at one point that the Samsung had less crosstalk, although I'm probably wrong.

--
(this space for rent)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 AM

I'll say I was disappointed in the 3D from my 55ST50 while using the Panasonic glasses. If I could have saved just $100 on the TV and not spent the $120 for two pairs of glasses, I would have gone that route knowing what I do now.

My suggestion would be find someone with the same 3D TV as you and try it out before investing in glasses.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have two pairs of Panasonice glasses and three Samsungs.

Have you noticed any performance differences between the Panasonic and Samsung glasses??
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

I played some COD: BO in 3D and Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D and man, the 3D on the UT50 is outstanding. I'm using the Panny glasses.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I played some COD: BO in 3D and Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D and man, the 3D on the UT50 is outstanding. I'm using the Panny glasses.

You should see Killzone 3 for the PS3 in 3D.

Pure awesomeness.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroof View Post

You should see Killzone 3 for the PS3 in 3D.

Pure awesomeness.

I have heard that game is very good in 3D. I'll check it out.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I setup my 60st50 over the weekend and checked out 3D. I have two panasonic and 3 samsung 4100 glasses. I have 3 kids. The Panasonic are definately heavier duty and easier to turn on and off. Plus they're rechargeable. Probably worth the extra $30/pair. All 5 sets of glasses worked fine. They both rendered the 3d images about the same.

Neither of them worked well in daylight. Too much glare getting into the inside lense. I have a room with 5 windows and an outside door without blinds or curtains so it's probably about as bad as you can get. We plan on getting blinds and curtains in a few weeks.

The samsung 4100 come with blue and red tabs over the lenses. These are supposed to be removed. They're there so you can more easily remove the plasic protective coating over the lenses. There's nothing in the 500 language instruction manual that explains this and I was hesitant to remove it.
Scott Mehl likes this.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM

I am a total beginner in respect to TVs & 3D.
I haven't been on this board since 2007 when I bought my Vizio 42" TV.
It now losses sound sporadically[ 1 or 2 x per day]-fixed by power off then power on [until it happens again].

The main focus of my post is TV glasses:
I think that this thread agrees that SAMSUNG 4100GB glasses work with the UT50. The only issues seem to be light from the side.
Am I correct?

I also saw on the Canadian Panasonic Accessories Site an item called
TY-EP3D10B Polarized 3D glasses (2 pairs)
MSP: $29.99

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...dex.asphttp://
The site says the glasses are good for:
Compatible with 2012 Polarized 3D VIERA TVs:
- 2012 VIERA LED TVs: ET5

Is there another set of Panasonic 2012 3D TVs that use another 3D technique or are these usable with the UT50 at lower resolution to the switching glasses. I can not understand how polarized glasses could work with the UT50 but...

If the Samsung 4100GB's work with the UT50 I can buy enough for guests even if there aren't perfect < grin>
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I had no interest in 3d, and got a pair of the Samsungs just to play around with, and so the family could see 3D on some movies and games. Now they want to watch 3D movies. The Samsungs work OK, but are not the best for watching long movies for me. I'm distracted by any light getting in from anywhere other than the lenses. I'm the same way when it comes to wearing sunglasses, I want them to completely black out all other light. So, it's off to get some good glasses. I was searching Amazon for the Panasonic glasses, and found some other compatible glasses called 3Active. They got pretty good reviews on the 2011 sets, but I was hoping someone has compared them to the new 2012 Panasonic glasses. Anyone have experience with both on the new sets?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

I am a total beginner in respect to TVs & 3D.
I think that this thread agrees that SAMSUNG 4100GB glasses work with the UT50. The only issues seem to be light from the side.
Am I correct?

I also saw on the Canadian Panasonic Accessories Site an item called
TY-EP3D10B Polarized 3D glasses (2 pairs)

Yes, the Samsungs work, but let tons of light in around the sides.

The $30 Panasonic glasses you found are for LED TVs using passive 3D. They will not work on your plasma.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

See, that's what I mean. I called both Panasonic and Samsung this very morning in an attempt to get to the bottom of this and was told by both camps that "No" the glasses are not compatible. BB also said that at this point they are not compatible but your hands on experience proves otherwise. I'm going to get a pair and try them out like you did.

I can confirm the new 2012 Samsung $20 3d glasses model with lithium coin battery works fine on my 50ST50. I got one at a local Best Buy and worked right away.
I also got a lower priced slightly used 2012 Panasonic rechargeable glasses on ebay and that of course worked too.
The Samsung model is a bit lighter and works fine in a dark room.
The 3D quality was the same between them to me.
The lithium coin battery should last for several months of typical use on the Samsung and I found cheap compatable batteries for it on ebay, a 5pack for a little over a $1.
Not sure how many charging times the built-in rechargeable battery on the Panasonic will last in comparison.

Tags
Panasonic