Panasonic 2012-compatible 3D Glasses Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 320 Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Since this could spawn into a whole topic in itself, I figured it probably deserved its own thread. For the 2012 Panasonic line (UT50, ST50, GT50, VT50) please post your experiences with any glasses you've picked up- of any brand- and as long as the mods allow it, feel free to share the price.

Please also perform this crosstalk test and report your findings.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This thread might get moved to one of the 3D threads but, are you inquiring about 2012 active glasses working with all 2012 TVs that use active glasses? Or are you asking about reviews of different active glasses?

I'd like to know if anyone has gotten 2012 Samsung glasses to work with the 2012 sets you listed above. There is some confusion and some merchants aren't clear on it either.
post #3 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

This thread might get moved to one of the 3D threads but, are you inquiring about 2012 active glasses working with all 2012 TVs that use active glasses? Or are you asking about reviews of different active glasses?

I'd like to know if anyone has gotten 2012 Samsung glasses to work with the 2012 sets you listed above. There is some confusion and some merchants aren't clear on it either.

Hopefully it can stay here since I'm hoping to keep it specific to what works best on the 2012 Panny Plasmas. I'm less interested in figuring out "what works" as I'm interested in "what works BEST".

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #4 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

As for what works best, Panasonic only has one 2012 model of glasses (TY-ER3D4MU) which are RF (blue tooth) and rechargeable. No battery models at all. I hope that changes soon as I'd rather have the option of both. Despite the hype, Samsung and Panasonic 3D glasses for 2012 are not compatible at this time. That's too bad as Panasonic glasses cost considerably more than Samsung's.

I have a Panasonic VT50 that is supposed to be delivered tommorow so I rushe ordered some glasses from Amazon where they are cheaper. I chose expedited shipping and hopefully they will arrive at the same time as the TV.
I've read a few user reviews on Amazon and they are positive so I look forward to trying them out on a 3D movie. I'll report back on the experience.
post #5 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

As for what works best, Panasonic only has one 2012 model of glasses (TY-ER3D4MU) which are RF (blue tooth) and rechargeable. No battery models at all. I hope that changes soon as I'd rather have the option of both. Despite the hype, Samsung and Panasonic 3D glasses for 2012 are not compatible at this time. That's too bad as Panasonic glasses cost considerably more than Samsung's.

I have a Panasonic VT50 that is supposed to be delivered tommorow so I rushe ordered some glasses from Amazon where they are cheaper. I chose expedited shipping and hopefully they will arrive at the same time as the TV.
I've read a few user reviews on Amazon and they are positive so I look forward to trying them out on a 3D movie. I'll report back on the experience.

Well the ssg4100's work on my ST50 with no problems. I only ordered one pair to test, now I am ordering four more. All I did was hit the 3D button on the remote and turn on the glasses. A graphic came up on the screen verifying the sync and I was watching. I can't comment on the quality yet as I was converting 2D. I will have a few actual 3D movies here in a few days and will give a report.
post #6 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD70GUY View Post

Well the ssg4100's work on my ST50 with no problems. I only ordered one pair to test, now I am ordering four more. All I did was hit the 3D button on the remote and turn on the glasses. A graphic came up on the screen verifying the sync and I was watching. I can't comment on the quality yet as I was converting 2D. I will have a few actual 3D movies here in a few days and will give a report.

See, that's what I mean. I called both Panasonic and Samsung this very morning in an attempt to get to the bottom of this and was told by both camps that "No" the glasses are not compatible. BB also said that at this point they are not compatible but your hands on experience proves otherwise. I'm going to get a pair and try them out like you did.
post #7 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

See, that's what I mean. I called both Panasonic and Samsung this very morning in an attempt to get to the bottom of this and was told by both camps that "No" the glasses are not compatible. BB also said that at this point they are not compatible but your hands on experience means more than what they said. And, there is nothing I saw on their websites that would give a customer like me the right information. I wish I had saw your thread yesterday before I canceled the Samsung glasses from Amazon and ordered the much higher priced Panasonic glasses.

You have to understand that this new 3D glasses "standard" is still very new, and if they said their competitor's glasses were compatible, then they'd more or less have to support them. I think both companies are still dipping their toes into this whole idea of a universal active glasses standard.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #8 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Yeah, I ordered mine weeks ago going of a post here. I figured it was worth the experiment. If my TV didn't take 3 weeks to deliver I would have tested them and confirmed allready.

C-Net does say all 2012 Bluetooth glasses should be compatible, but they don't really test any to verify. they way they leave the article off you are scratching your head wondering if this is in effect allready, or coming soon. The Samsungs don't have the Logo they tell you to look for, but they work. I'd bet Panny and Samsung never put the logo on their own glasses, just third party vendors.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57357306/will-$20-glasses-universal-standard-polish-active-3d-tvs-apple/?tag=mncol%3brvwBody
post #9 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 31
Here's my take on the 3D glasses. Seeing as I originally bought a Samsung 55D7000 LEDTV that came with the battery operated 3D glasses as a bonus and I have to say I didn't like them...and sadly I didn't like the TV either and decided to go Plasma and returned the whole set, 3D glasses and all and bought a Panny 55GT50. At first I was a bit miffed that the TV didn't come with the glasses but after seeing that Panasonic only offers the rechargeable kind I can see why they wouldn't want to include them due to the cost.

I went ahead and ordered the Panasonic RF glasses and these are MUCH better than the Samsung ones. First they are a little bit bigger and cover the eyes especially on the sides where the Samsung glasses fail. They are very light weight and after 5 minutes into the movie I completely forget I'm wearing them and I had no eye fatigue after watching HUGO which is highly 3D centric.
I had slight headaches after using the Samsung glasses and although I could get through a whole movie for the most part I would still get eye fatigue from start to end. I also saw more crosstalk on the Sammy's and very little on the Panasonic glasses.
I do wish Panasonic offered battery operated glasses but not just because I want to save money but the fact that rechargeable cells begin to lose their life and eventually become worthless.
post #10 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The good thing about the Panasonic glasses is that you can quick charge for 2 minutes and get 3 hours of use out of it. Yes, it does appear to be a cat n mouse game but they are doing a disservice to the customer once again just as they were doing in the first place with the incompatible glasses (lol).

Anyway, I ordered a pair from Abt for testing and it looks like it will be word of mouth on the compatibility of these glasses and TV.
post #11 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks Dan,

I agree that the Samsungs let in a lot of light from the sides. I watched with a sliding glass door behind me with lots of light bleeding through. I did notice that if I ignored the glare and was concious of dialating my pupils I saw the 3D 10x better. Ghosting and crosstalk were readily apparent when I unconciously viewed the screen through squinted eyes. When I dialated and focused on the whole screen instead of one element the 3d looked a ton better, just by training my eyes. Based on my limited undertanding of the technology I would bet money that most any performance difference between the glasses has to do with your own eyes reacting to the extra ambient light from the Samsungs.

As for comfort the Samsungs do center all of the albiet miniscule weight of the glasses on the bridge of your nose creating an irritating sensation. Every pair of glasses with undersized ear-pieces I have ever tried on does this. That's why I usually end up with plastic frames because of the better weight distribution.

I am gonna experiment some more with controlled lighting and maybe use electrical tape and construction paper to creat blinders. Maybe I can create something that mimics the Panasonic experience.
post #12 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I just ordered 2 pairs of the 2012 Panny's.

Sure I'd love to get away with paying $20 each but I gotta have something to go with my new VT50. Compared to the price of the set having a bunch of these to go with it isn't all that bad. Amazon seems to be really competitive with the pricing here, so if it turns out the $20 cheapy's work I'll grab a few of those otherwise I'll nab a few more of these assuming they are as good as the early buzz seems to suggest.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #13 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

That's my thinking also. I grabbed on pair of the Samsung 20.00 glasses to test them on the Panasonic tomorrow. I also ordered a couple of Panasonic glasses which may be delivered tomorrow (hopefully).
post #14 of 320 Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Liked: 11
The $20 samsungs are great,tint is almost identical to the panasonics.They aren't rechargeable but what do you expect for $20. These are perfect for the kids. I got two pair of the panasonics for me and my wife and two pair of the samsungs for my kids. Picture quality/color is almost identical.
post #15 of 320 Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep the Samsung glasses work with the Panasonic and they would indeed fit kids better than the Panasonic glasses. I'm going to get about 5 more pairs of the Samsungs and two of the Panasonic glasses. I got my set today (bought it Monday afternoon) and am very pleased with it. Now to get it calibrated.
post #16 of 320 Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Just ordered 55GT50. I've done a lot of research (including this thread) and it would appear that the new Samsung glasses will work with it. My question is between the Panasonic glasses, the samsung 3100 and 3050, which are the most comfortable over prescription glasses?

Sean Nelson
me@snelsonco.org
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."
post #17 of 320 Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post

Just ordered 55GT50. I've done a lot of research (including this thread) and it would appear that the new Samsung glasses will work with it. My question is between the Panasonic glasses, the samsung 3100 and 3050, which are the most comfortable over prescription glasses?

Neither pair of those will work with ur Gt50,those are only compatible with 2011 tv's. The 4100GB will work and I'd assume any of the other new 2012 Samsung active shutter glasses will. The only Panasonic glasses that will work are the TY-ER3D4MU,those are the new ones for the 2012 line TV's.
post #18 of 320 Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

Neither pair of those will work with ur Gt50,those are only compatible with 2011 tv's. The 4100GB will work and I'd assume any of the other new 2012 Samsung active shutter glasses will. The only Panasonic glasses that will work are the TY-ER3D4MU,those are the new ones for the 2012 line TV's.

Okay, let me make my question more general. Of the glasses that will work with a GT50, which are the most comfortable over prescription glasses?

Sean Nelson
me@snelsonco.org
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."
post #19 of 320 Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM

My wife wears glasses and she prefers the cheap samsung 4100's. They don't have a nose piece like the panasonics but they wrap around ur head so they sit in front of your glasses and rest on the nose instead of going completely over or on top of your glasses like the Panasonic. The only downside is the Samsung aren't rechargeable and fairly flimsy,but super easy to change batteries. Both work but the way the Samsung are designed they are less intrusive.
post #20 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since I just bought a UT50, I wouldn't mind getting into 3D, but the issue of having to replace my perfectly suitable receiver for a 3D compatible one and pay $40-$50 for single single pair of glasses is just a bit much for my taste.
post #21 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Since I just bought a UT50, I wouldn't mind getting into 3D, but the issue of having to replace my perfectly suitable receiver for a 3D compatible one and pay $40-$50 for single single pair of glasses is just a bit much for my taste.

You're also forgetting the 3D Blu Ray player! If you do allready have the player though, you can hook it up directly to the ST50 for 3D and buy the $20 glasses. Then you are only out $20. Hooking up your AVR as a video switching device is completely optional, bass ackwards from a traditional standpoint, and only has been popular for a few years. You could still use a 15 year old non HDMI reciever and feed the inputs straight to the TV. This is what I have been doing for years. The only reason I switched to a cheap HDMI reciever is because I didn't want my kids effing with my nice one any more.
post #22 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're also forgetting the 3D Blu Ray player! If you do allready have the player though, you can hook it up directly to the ST50 for 3D and buy the $20 glasses. Then you are only out $20. Hooking up your AVR as a video switching device is completely optional, bass ackwards from a traditional standpoint, and only has been popular for a few years. You could still use a 15 year old non HDMI reciever and feed the inputs straight to the TV. This is what I have been doing for years. The only reason I switched to a cheap HDMI reciever is because I didn't want my kids effing with my nice one any more.

Monoprice (used to at least) sells cheap HDMI switches. That's literally all they do. I don't know if they handle 3D (HDMI 1.4 spec) or not though.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #23 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I grabbed two pairs of the Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU glasses after reading some reviews of the various glasses in this thread. I don't have my VT50 yet (next week), but I tried them on. Here are my impressions:

0. Amazon's shipping is insane these days. I wasn't going to get the TV until next week, so I opted for the slow Prime shipping (5 days) and get the $1 MP3 credit. They took 2 days anyway. Wow.

1. My eye glasses fit surprisingly well under them. By looking at them, you'd think that they'd sit right in front of your face, but they have a decent amount of room that feels obviously designed for someone wearing eye glasses underneath.

2. They're very light. The other side of this coin is that they have a feeling of being somewhat cheap and fragile, unfortunately. I feel like a little kid could destroy these with ease. I'd recommend anyone outfitting their family: Panasonics for grownups, Samsungs for kids. They both can likely be easily destroyed, but the Sammys will be a hell of a lot cheaper to replace.

3. I'm used to the 2011 Samsung glasses with my previous (returned) TV. The fact that the Panny's have side blocking elements is refreshing.

4. I have an admittedly big noggin. These are the mediums (I saw no option on Amazon). They fit very well, but if they were any smaller I'd have some problems.

Overall: buy... for grown-ups.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #24 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I run the HDMI directly from my PS3 to the TV and run optical to the receiver for audio, I'd be missing out on lossless audio.
post #25 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I also have a big pumpkin head and the panasonics fit me great. TV gets here next week, will have to wait to see how well they work.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #26 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Can you tell me the make/model of the 20 dollar glasses and do they work with the st30? thanks for any response.
post #27 of 320 Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 PM

never mind i found them.
post #28 of 320 Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

If I run the HDMI directly from my PS3 to the TV and run optical to the receiver for audio, I'd be missing out on lossless audio.

That's true, but my assumption was that if your reciever didn't do 3D it probably didn't do lossless audio. Early adopters usually get screwed on stuff like this, but they also usually have the funds to just upgrade and not care. If you maxed out your reciever budget five years ago before 3D was prevelant then unfortunately you just picked a bad time to buy.

I used to be an early adopter, now I wait untill the tech comes to me. Four kids will do that to your budget though!
post #29 of 320 Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's true, but my assumption was that if your reciever didn't do 3D it probably didn't do lossless audio. Early adopters usually get screwed on stuff like this, but they also usually have the funds to just upgrade and not care. If you maxed out your reciever budget five years ago before 3D was prevelant then unfortunately you just picked a bad time to buy.

I used to be an early adopter, now I wait untill the tech comes to me. Four kids will do that to your budget though!

Luckily, I don't really care about 3D! But the TV is nice and I got a great deal on it, which is the only reason I have a 3D TV.
post #30 of 320 Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Yeah, the 3D stuff is just fluff to me also. I wouldn't have paid any more to get 3D compatability, it just was there this year for free when I was due to upgrade. I'm only out the $20 for the glasses so far. My reciever was having issues with audio decoding but has awesome SQ so I moved it to the bedroom. I scraped by with a cheap $150 Denon 1312 for now even though it's powering $4k worth of speakers. I will upgrade to something with Neo-X as soon as they make some movies that utilize it, but figured it was a waste for my current situation.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page