Official Samsung PN51E530A3FXZA Owner Thread (No Price) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 180 Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Interesting! Take pictures or do you have a separate thread?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 180 Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Interesting! Take pictures or do you have a separate thread?

the build thread is in it's early stages here...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130727.0.html
CMonMan likes this.

Too many toys, not enough time.
post #153 of 180 Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hopkins View Post

The settings from CMonMan worked great!
If anyone is interested, the remote control code for the TV is 1087.

I'm curious if you actually accessed the service menus to calibrate your set, because my experience was that doing that buggered my set up (applying CMon's settings in service actually produced a darker panel image), and I had to run a test pattern so the set would self-calibrate back to factory settings. The applied settings work in the normal "advanced" (non-service) menus, in my experience and appear accurate without service menu intervention.
post #154 of 180 Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM

I posted a while back about motion blur and I have yet to find any way to fix it. One thing I did find was that if I play a true 1080p 60fps video source it looks flawless. If anyone is running a PS3 with this TV, download the Wipeout HD Demo and you'll see what I mean. It's a super fast racing game, so the backgrounds move at a crazy speed. The TV displays the backgrounds crystal clear.
As everyone probably knows, very few video sources are 60fps. Unfortunately, this TV does a poor job at filling in the gaps. You can really notice this if you try to read the advertisments on the boards during a hockey game. Depending on the speed, they can be almost unreadable.
The price point for this TV is less than $600, so you really can't complain about it. I was just hoping for a solution.
post #155 of 180 Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfneil View Post

I posted a while back about motion blur and I have yet to find any way to fix it. One thing I did find was that if I play a true 1080p 60fps video source it looks flawless. If anyone is running a PS3 with this TV, download the Wipeout HD Demo and you'll see what I mean. It's a super fast racing game, so the backgrounds move at a crazy speed. The TV displays the backgrounds crystal clear.
As everyone probably knows, very few video sources are 60fps. Unfortunately, this TV does a poor job at filling in the gaps. You can really notice this if you try to read the advertisments on the boards during a hockey game. Depending on the speed, they can be almost unreadable.
The price point for this TV is less than $600, so you really can't complain about it. I was just hoping for a solution.

That is obvious, you are comparing 1080p with some tv hd crap feed, you are never going to get the same flawless motion with compressed video feeds from satellite or cable.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #156 of 180 Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM

So does it swivel or not ??? I am curious and would like to know before I buy. Thanks
post #157 of 180 Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Nope... at least mine doesn't.
post #158 of 180 Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Not mine either.

post #159 of 180 Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM

does this tv have arc?
post #160 of 180 Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 AM

I was just using the hockey game as an example. The motion blur is there while watching Blu ray movies as well.

I believe Blu ray plays at 24fps, and this TV still shows a fair amount of blur when the image moves fast. On a previous post I used Tron Legacy as an example. The opening sequence shows blur very easily.

The next model up from this one apparently has a Cinema Smooth option which improves the blur, but I have not seen it in action so I don't know if it makes a difference or not.
post #161 of 180 Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

That is obvious, you are comparing 1080p with some tv hd crap feed, you are never going to get the same flawless motion with compressed video feeds from satellite or cable.

I was just using the hockey game as an example. The motion blur is there while watching Blu ray movies as well.

I believe Blu ray plays at 24fps, and this TV still shows a fair amount of blur when the image moves fast. On a previous post I used Tron Legacy as an example. The opening sequence shows blur very easily.

The next model up from this one apparently has a Cinema Smooth option which improves the blur, but I have not seen it in action so I don't know if it makes a difference or not.
post #162 of 180 Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
jz4

Just got TV and am currently running the slides to break in the panel faster. Was curious if further precaution needed after break in period. We watch lots of movies & sports-- should i be at all concerned w/ letterboxing bars and/or static score/inning/outs/etc box during games (not to mention the ever-present station logo). Any advice would be appreciated as this is our 1st plasma TV. THanks very much
post #163 of 180 Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

I would just make sure for the first few months especially that you limit black bars.. So if you watch a blu ray with bars, try to watch tv on the screen for a while afterwards, and don't keep on espn or cnn for hours on end etc. Some if fine, and wont be a problem. Samsung claims no break in is needed, but better safe then sorry.

post #164 of 180 Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 AM
jz4

Thanks for the advice CMonMan. Am actually planning on using the settings you recommended earlier in this thread after the break in.
post #165 of 180 Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM

I wanted to get some advice from people that know...

I am considering purchasing this TV right now. I currently own a Vizio 42" 1080p 120hz LCD TV. We have loved the TV, but I'd like to get a larger TV...I can get this set for around $350 right now.

Will the blacks be better than what I currently have on my Vizio? What's the biggest difference between LCD and Plasma? This is a slim design, so its bezel and thickness should be smaller than what I currently have. (My Vizio is about 6-7 years old right now.) Is burn-in still an issue? I've heard that it's no longer an issue with current plasma technology.

I suppose these questions can be a bit based on opinion, but I wanted a few at this point. Thanks for your responses in advance!!!
post #166 of 180 Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post

I wanted to get some advice from people that know...

I am considering purchasing this TV right now. I currently own a Vizio 42" 1080p 120hz LCD TV. We have loved the TV, but I'd like to get a larger TV...I can get this set for around $350 right now.

Will the blacks be better than what I currently have on my Vizio? What's the biggest difference between LCD and Plasma? This is a slim design, so its bezel and thickness should be smaller than what I currently have. (My Vizio is about 6-7 years old right now.) Is burn-in still an issue? I've heard that it's no longer an issue with current plasma technology.

I suppose these questions can be a bit based on opinion, but I wanted a few at this point. Thanks for your responses in advance!!!

I would first be sure that the set you are looking at is 1080p.. there is a very similar set that is only 720p.

my brother has a 42 inch lcd visio..and if yours is anything like his- this samsung is miles ahead of the visio..it's night and day. The blacks are FAR blacker and the picture is SOO much better. the colors are more accurate and it handles motion a lot better. Samsung claims burn-in is not an issue with the newer plasmas, I have not had an issue with either of mine, and I have not heard many (if any) complaints with this set on here or elsewhere. Still smart to watch what your doing..better safe then sorry..but I wouldn't be too concerned.

As far as LCD vs Plasma.. you can do your own research, but basically LCD is brighter. This can be an advantage in bright rooms. Otherwise, plasma is the way to go. The picture quality is SOO much better, blacks are darker, motion is better, colors are more accurate, etc. Unless you are in a very bright room and watch during the day, go with this plasma. I like to compare it this way.. look out your window, then imagine what that image would look like on your visio.. Your visio would likely make that image far brighter then it actually is, would loose some of the color details, would loose a lot of the shadows and darker details, and motions wouldn't quite right.. A plasma will make all of these issues less apparent. It should look more true to life. That's my 2 cents.

post #167 of 180 Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

I would first be sure that the set you are looking at is 1080p.. there is a very similar set that is only 720p.

my brother has a 42 inch lcd visio..and if yours is anything like his- this samsung is miles ahead of the visio..it's night and day. The blacks are FAR blacker and the picture is SOO much better. the colors are more accurate and it handles motion a lot better. Samsung claims burn-in is not an issue with the newer plasmas, I have not had an issue with either of mine, and I have not heard many (if any) complaints with this set on here or elsewhere. Still smart to watch what your doing..better safe then sorry..but I wouldn't be too concerned.

As far as LCD vs Plasma.. you can do your own research, but basically LCD is brighter. This can be an advantage in bright rooms. Otherwise, plasma is the way to go. The picture quality is SOO much better, blacks are darker, motion is better, colors are more accurate, etc. Unless you are in a very bright room and watch during the day, go with this plasma. I like to compare it this way.. look out your window, then imagine what that image would look like on your visio.. Your visio would likely make that image far brighter then it actually is, would loose some of the color details, would loose a lot of the shadows and darker details, and motions wouldn't quite right.. A plasma will make all of these issues less apparent. It should look more true to life. That's my 2 cents.

Well, this is on the wall of our living room with a couple windows in it. We can darken the room, but is can be bright at times. I've always heard that plasma had better picture quality and color...and I'd love the extra 9 inches of screen.

Decisions, decisions...
post #168 of 180 Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM

I had a 50" Vizio that recently bit the dust and is about the same age as yours.
lReplace it with this Samsung. Like others say, it is miles ahead of the Vizio with picture quality, nice dark blacks. No whirring fans.
And oh so much lighter weight wise. My Vivio was 125lbs, this is like 48 or something like that.
One thing that could be an issue, that wasn't so much with my Vizio, is this thing reflects light like a mirror. If you have windows opposite the TV you might need to consider that. Thankfully I have mine mounted high enough, so that from my viewpoint, it's a non factor. A very satisfied owner...Hope that helps.
post #169 of 180 Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post

Well, this is on the wall of our living room with a couple windows in it. We can darken the room, but is can be bright at times. I've always heard that plasma had better picture quality and color...and I'd love the extra 9 inches of screen.

Decisions, decisions...

I would get it and see if light is an issue. If it is, you'll know right away and can return it at that point. If it isn't, you've got a fine tv for a great price.

post #170 of 180 Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Picked this panel up on a screaming deal from Dell, and it's exactly what I wanted. Printed out each of the recommendations from this thread, going to try each one for a few days and narrow down (consensus seems to be CmonMan, so I'll likely end up there).

I play a lot of music through my system from an AppleTV, and it's set to go to screen saver after 2 minutes. The screen saver is floating album covers on a black background; is this good/bad/indifferent in terms of a proper break-in? Should I use the grey sweep the set includes instead? I don't have a disc drive of any kind hooked up, but I can download and play any media file that's available on the internet if that would be better.

Thanks everyone, really glad I found this forum smile.gif.
post #171 of 180 Old 06-01-2013, 10:43 AM

I just purchased this from the Dell deal as well. I'm seeing this in the lower right corner. Anyone know is this is temporary or fixable?

Also, these as well, sparkling red dots, most noticeable in white and light images. Temporary / new TV issue?

post #172 of 180 Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel19 View Post

I just purchased this from the Dell deal as well. I'm seeing this in the lower right corner. Anyone know is this is temporary or fixable?

Also, these as well, sparkling red dots, most noticeable in white and light images. Temporary / new TV issue?

I'm not an expert, but I would be bringing that back.. doesn't look normal to me.

post #173 of 180 Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 AM

Hi, i just bought this tv and im new to the forum, found it looking for settings wink.gif Thank you all for your settings and advices, i do have a question though:

Could someone please recommend me on what settings should i break in this new screen and for about how long before i change to one of the settings posted here? Or are they good to go straight out of the box? Also how do i check how many hours life time does the screen have? I apologise if these are stupid questions, im a complete newbie to these new gen tv's, especially plasmas wink.gif Thank you in advance for any answers, this forum and its community is great!

edit: oh, and where do you get these slides that everyone uses for breaking in, are those in the tv itself or are they some different ones to buy or download?
post #174 of 180 Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Hi,

I recently got the PN51E535 from an open-box store (had 50 hours on it) for about $400 (it has one stuck pixel). It has 1018.1 firmware. Colors are great with the settings provided earlier in this thread.

However, I do have a problem with the black level. It is quite high. In a dimly-lit room at night, blacks are clearly gray and much higher than most good LCD displays I'm used to. Actually, on the whole, the set is very bright - again, brighter than most LCD's I'm used to, strangely enough. I don't mean that whites are clipped or washed out. I mean the overall luminance level is incredibly high and can be hard on the eyes. This can be fixed by running at lower contrast settings (around 50-60 seems right to my eyes) but this (and every other setting) doesn't change the black level at all. So the overall contrast is reduced when doing this and the bad blacks are more noticeable at lower contrast settings (because they are closer to the lower white level).

Is there simply no setting on a plasma like a "backlight" setting on LCD's that is available to turn down overall luminance, *including* the black level?
The so-called "Cell Light" setting seems useless to my eyes as it also just reduces contrast and not black level.

Lots of folks here are praising the black level of this set, so perhaps my particular unity is out of spec, though I can't return it (open-box). Or perhaps I'm just more particular about black level than most (well... I know I am. But it's strange to me that a good IPS LCD, properly calibrated, can easily beat the black levels of this plasma).

I even tried tweaking the panel voltage pots, but the critical one, Yrr, is absent from this set (I guess digitally controlled) so there was no noticeable benefit from reducing Vsc etc.
post #175 of 180 Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM

Any updates on picture setting for the samsung 51"?

This is what I have
MOVIE MODE.
Cell light 18
Contrast 95
Brightness 42
Sharpness 20
Color 53
Tint 50/50
ADVANCE SETTING
Gamma 0
Dynamic off
Black tone off
Flesh tone 0
WHITE BALANCE
post #176 of 180 Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Anyone else have have flickering green pixels in the black bars when viewing letterbox? Just happened to be up close to my screen while watching oblivion.

Will play around with cables and settings but looking at google real quick it seems like more of an issue with the set than anything else.

post #177 of 180 Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Anyone else have have flickering green pixels in the black bars when viewing letterbox? Just happened to be up close to my screen while watching oblivion.

Will play around with cables and settings but looking at google real quick it seems like more of an issue with the set than anything else.

Just turn down your brightness control a few clicks until they disappear.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #178 of 180 Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Ha. Thanks for the quick reply. Just came back to report that it went away after turning down the brightness. Set it at 45 in movie mode, some still visible but not as bad.

Got a little scared there for a second. Normally i research more before posting...

post #179 of 180 Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 PM

Headphone issues:

I went out and bought an rca (male) to 3.5mm (female) adapter and plugged it into the back of the television rca jacks. I then plugged in my headphones.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I can't figure out how to get sound through the headphones. I went into the tv. menu and selected external speakers but that doesn't seem to work.
I don't have a receiver hooked up to this particular tv. so using a headphone jack on that isn't possible currently.

Any tips?

I noticed there's also a usb port, anyone have experience with a usb to 3.5mm adapter for headphone use?
post #180 of 180 Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
of course, it would help if you read your manual about the INPUTS on the TV. Those are audio inputs jacks, not OUTPUT jacks, so you aren't going to get anything out of them. Same for the usb INPUT. There is no audio outputs on this TV outside of the built in speakers which can be turned on or off.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Series 5 51 Inch Pn51e530a3fxza 1080p Slim Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page