Originally Posted by mysq
I have been trying to make up my mind about this by looking at these TVs, but can't seem to find them anywhere in my local BB or Frys...
1. Plasma (not LED)
2. Budget...maybe upto $1500( I don't intend to upgrade for a few years at least)
1. Which one would you suggest, based on Picture quality, build quality(long lasting), black levels?
2. Is LG as good as panasonic? No experience with them ( i current own a panasonic ST30, and its very good)
3. the LG6500 is $1200, and doesn't have 3D. Otherwise, do you know if PQ is the same as the LG6700? There si a LG9700 model also, which claims 'TruBlack', but its $2000. Is it worth it?
4. Any other brands/models you will suggest?
5. Lastly, any suggestions for wallmount is also very welcome. As I don't know where I will be living, I think I will take a mount that can swiwel horizontally and vertically.
If you can get a 60" ST50 for $1500 or less, that should easily be the best choice of the 3 you list.
We recently moved from a 60" ST30 - which was actually a Very Nice set, excepting the GROWING PINK TINT ours had - to a 60" ST50: I don't know if I would characterize the ST50 as being as "far above" the ST30 as appears to be the general opinion, but it (ST50) IS an Excellent HDTV, and does appear to have a couple of PQ advantages over the "30." (Although its MAIN advantage for us, of course, is NO PINK TINT.... at least thus far!)
Before we ended up with the ST50, I thought the LG PA6500 was a nice looking Bargain Panel - although the PA6550 (From CostCo) seemed even more attractive, given a Lower Price Point AND a 2-year Warranty.
Have seen the LGs in several stores, and they appear nicely designed, with Bright, good-looking colors. They also have more End User Picture Controls than the Panasonics.
However, they are very reflective, and, even with all of Panasonics troubles over the past several years, still have more confidence in Pan's long-term reliability than any of the other current Plasma options. (Of course, we won't KNOW whether that holds true until a few years down the road!)
Apparently, there is also a LG PA5500 that is a "store exclusive" for one of the bigger chains, and it also carries a very low price tag.
The LG9700 seems likely to exceed your $1500 price target, but it might be worth looking at IF you are placing it into a Very Bright Room, AND will do a lot of Daytime viewing: apparently it has a nice Matte Finish on the panel.
Another Option that might be worth looking at is the Panasonic UT50: It has received an Excellent Review from CNet, and the samples we've seen locally look to have a Bright screen & good colors. At this point in the year, would personally select the UT50 over the LG PA6500 - and probably the PM6700 as well - as a pretty remarkable "bargain panel," although I doubt you would go FAR Wrong with any of these sets!