Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey All,

I'm trying to decide between a Panny 65ST30 or a 65ST50. I know the ST50 has some substantial improvements including a better anti-glare filter, however, the ST30 still seems like a great TV.

The TV will be mounted in a living room next to a glass sliding door that has vertical blinds. The door faces East so in the morning it's a pretty sunny room. There are some other windows, both with blinds, not block out blinds though. I currently have a Sony rear projection 55" that is about 7 years old now and has dimmed somewhat but it's still fairly watchable even at the sunniest times as long as the blinds are closed although it does have a matte screen.

So my question is, will the ST30's anti-glare/reflective coating be sufficient for my environment? I know it's not as good as the ST50s but we're talking about roughly a $1K difference in price. Are we talking about the ST50s being a bit less reflective and maintaining slightly better image quality in a bright room or is there a huge gap between the ST50 and ST30? I'm struggling to justify that much extra money. My wife is concerned saying that we'll kick ourselves if we buy the ST30 and all we can see in it is the reflection of the windows. I'm not terribly hung up on a slightly better actual image quality produced by the ST50, my Samsung PN63B550 in my home theater room looks awesome to me and I'm fairly sure the ST30 will be superior, which is fine for what we'd spend.

Given the above, is the ST50 worth the extra dosh?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM

Liked: 10
It would be worth it to me, that's why I recently bought an ST50.

"Is it worth it?" questions are not all relative and difficult to answer, given that everyone has different budgets, amounts of disposable income, etc.

To me it was worth the difference in price. Yes the ST50 will give you a better overall picture and perform better against glare.

Is that worth it to you?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post

...I'm trying to decide between a Panny 65ST30 or a 65ST50. I know the ST50 has some substantial improvements including a better anti-glare filter, however, the ST30 still seems like a great TV. ...
The TV will be mounted in a living room next to a glass sliding door that has vertical blinds. ...
So my question is, will the ST30's anti-glare/reflective coating be sufficient for my environment? I know it's not as good as the ST50s but we're talking about roughly a $1K difference in price. .... My wife is concerned saying that we'll kick ourselves if we buy the ST30 and all we can see in it is the reflection of the windows. ....

Generally speaking, if someone's Wife is worried about buying a lesser set, that is ALL the excuse they need to buy the better one!

The ST50 provides a nicer overall picture - more consistently deeper blacks and also seems Brighter to boot - but if you get a flaw-free panel, the ST30 should still be a good set. (Disclaimer: We returned 4 60" 2011 Pan panels for Green Blobs &/or Pink Tint, but are now very happy with a 60" ST50.)

If Screen Reflections are that much of a major concern for you, perhaps the LG PM9700 would be worth a look: it offers a Matte finish screen, and therefore might be your best bet.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Generally speaking, if someone's Wife is worried about buying a lesser set, that is ALL the excuse they need to buy the better one!

The ST50 provides a nicer overall picture - more consistently deeper blacks and also seems Brighter to boot - but if you get a flaw-free panel, the ST30 should still be a good set. (Disclaimer: We returned 4 60" 2011 Pan panels for Green Blobs &/or Pink Tint, but are now very happy with a 60" ST50.)

If Screen Reflections are that much of a major concern for you, perhaps the LG PM9700 would be worth a look: it offers a Matte finish screen, and therefore might be your best bet.

Lol, figured someone would say that, but I actually would love to spend the $1000 saved on something else.

Yes, I am a little concerned that the st30 might run into issues but then Amazon is awesome for returns.

The LG would mean sacrificing 5" and honestly if I was going to spend $2K I would just spring for an ST50.

The other option is a 60" 2012 Samsung for around the same price as the St30, supposedly has a good filter. The extra 5" is hard to turn down though. What guy would?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
I recently had the same dilemma as you. GT50 vs GT30. I went with the GT30 since I could get it from Amazon (full warranty) for 50% of the GT50 price.

The way I looked at it was if I had bought the GT30 last year, would I be looking to replace it with the GT50 this year? The answer was no. Combine that with the huge savings (which I used to buy new Triad silver surrounds) it was a no brainer.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post

I recently had the same dilemma as you. GT50 vs GT30. I went with the GT30 since I could get it from Amazon (full warranty) for 50% of the GT50 price.

The way I looked at it was if I had bought the GT30 last year, would I be looking to replace it with the GT50 this year? The answer was no. Combine that with the huge savings (which I used to buy new Triad silver surrounds) it was a no brainer.

Good point.

Are you using your GT30 in a bright room?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post

Hey All,

I'm trying to decide between a Panny 65ST30 or a 65ST50. I know the ST50 has some substantial improvements including a better anti-glare filter, however, the ST30 still seems like a great TV.

The TV will be mounted in a living room next to a glass sliding door that has vertical blinds. The door faces East so in the morning it's a pretty sunny room. There are some other windows, both with blinds, not block out blinds though. I currently have a Sony rear projection 55" that is about 7 years old now and has dimmed somewhat but it's still fairly watchable even at the sunniest times as long as the blinds are closed although it does have a matte screen.

So my question is, will the ST30's anti-glare/reflective coating be sufficient for my environment? I know it's not as good as the ST50s but we're talking about roughly a $1K difference in price. Are we talking about the ST50s being a bit less reflective and maintaining slightly better image quality in a bright room or is there a huge gap between the ST50 and ST30? I'm struggling to justify that much extra money. My wife is concerned saying that we'll kick ourselves if we buy the ST30 and all we can see in it is the reflection of the windows. I'm not terribly hung up on a slightly better actual image quality produced by the ST50, my Samsung PN63B550 in my home theater room looks awesome to me and I'm fairly sure the ST30 will be superior, which is fine for what we'd spend.

Given the above, is the ST50 worth the extra dosh?

Thanks.

That's funny,I have the same exact room setup.. You will not get rid of all the glare on any tv.. Just gotta make sure you get most of the sunlight from hitting the screen. Block out the sun,end of story.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

That's funny,I have the same exact room setup.. You will not get rid of all the glare on any tv.. Just gotta make sure you get most of the sunlight from hitting the screen. Block out the sun,end of story.

Do you have an ST30?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page