The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1072 Old 09-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had no Idea there was a 60U50. Does anyone have one? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P60U50-60-Inch-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B008KCSMHS/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347754262&sr=1-22&keywords=42ut50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1072 Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Walmart started selling them a few weeks ago for $998.
post #273 of 1072 Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking realy hard at the U54, my crt is dying, but, the issue is this:

My sat receiver is a 222k, [ dual tuner] and the u54 would replace the crt [ bedroom, second floor] so all I would be getting is standard def, [ no, would rather not pay for a second receiver]

How is this u54 in standard def?

I have a ST30 as my main, and SD is OK on some channels and crappy on others. Anyone running strictly SD?

Also 50" is the smallest, correct?

Thanks to whoever replies!

tvaddicted
post #274 of 1072 Old 09-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got one of these relatively recently (still in my 1st 100 hours, I'm sure) and am really loving it. My Serenity and Equilibrium HD DVDs look AMAZING. All I've messed with so far are the contrast and brightness, using the AVS calbration "disc" streaming on xbox 360 (just white and black clipping so far...gotta pull my Avia filter out of the dvd case soon)

I've had no problems with persistent IR, and I've already accidentally fallen asleep in front of it on the Netflix 360 menu (but I have the power saving mode that shuts it off after 3 hours, since the sleep timer won't go that high, and the xbox set for 1 hr). The stuff that likes to stick is the buttons on the xbox dashboard the missle display in Ace Combat: AH (which looks ammmaaaaaaaaazing as a guy who's used to playing it on a beautiful but outdated 36" RCA sdtv). I always run the screen wipe after watching non 16:9 content or after having anything paused or still for any length of time. I dont even run the wipe for the full 15 minutes. A few passes are enough to remove anything. I just run the wipe when I get up to do something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashKid View Post

How is the input lag for this TV? I play a lot of fighting games and was wondering if there is any crazy input lag?

I've played Street Fighter 2 Hyper fighting on it (first thing I played after Serenity), and more recently I've played beatmania IIDX (Happy Sky to be specific), and quite a few rounds of Samurai Shodown 2, and there was NO lag that I noticed...and that's after me coming straight off a CRT prior to this TV. Now granted I don't know how to test it scientifically, and I didn't do that great at beatmania, but I'm a poor player made poorer by not having played consistently in years. As far as actually saying "I hit that note when it told me to and I did badly", that never happened. In SS2 I was able to reflect some projectiles with Haohmaru's jug (which requires timing cos you have to bat them back at just the right time), and it felt perfectly normal.

I did try the Game Mode that is mentioned on the TV's specs, and while I know there is some debate on whether or not it actually makes the TV react faster as Panny claims, or whether it's just another picture mode, I did notice 2 things.

1) I did better on beatmania with it on (all testing mentioned above was done on Cinema)....but that could be attributed to the fact that I'd already played 5 or 6 rounds and may have just been more warmed up by then.

2) I noticed (or my brain may have wishfully perceived) a difference when playing with the white clipping test pattern. I was calibrating Cinema and Game for brightness and contrast, and had the idea of switching back and forth between the 2 to see if there was a noticeable difference, lag wise. So, what I did was watch the flashing closely for a long enough time to feel that I had the rhythm locked in my head, then flip to Game mode. I did this a few times. When I did this, I FELT like when I switched to game mode, the rhythm was broken by the stripes flashing sooner than my "internal metronome" expected them to, suggesting (to me) that there was even less delay in Game mode than in Cinema.

Now again, this could be my imagination, but I'd encourage anyone with this TV to try it and tell me what you think.

As far as my personal verdict (as a gamer who owns everything through Atari 2600 to Neo Geo to 360), I'm finding it perfectly agreeable for gaming in Cinema mode, so if the Game mode does make a difference, then it's all the better. Some other games I've tried and went fine were Bayonetta, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Halo Reach.

If there are any specific tests or in game actions you'd like me to try, let me know.

On another topic, what would happen if I hooked a composite source, and the green component plug, to a Y adapter and plugged that into the green/composite IN on the TV?

Another observation: I've noticed people say to turn this or that enhancement off because it's on by default (like CATS). I didn't have anything on by default, but perhaps that's because I went to Cinema the moment I turned it on, rather than Standard?
post #275 of 1072 Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM

Liked: 10
I bought this set from Costco last week and am still in the process of running the slides to be on the safe side.
I have the contrast and brightness at 60 and 50 and am increasing contrast by 5 every 10 hours or so. Is this ok?
I am up to about 60 hours on the slides and am going to incorporate hd full screen content with no tickers and such with low contrast and brightness settings.

I am pretty sure I will be very very happy with the PQ in a week or two once I have set it up properly while watching movies and cable tv but I do have a few questions for all you gamers on this plasma.
I have a xbox 360 and will be using it mainly for games like BF3 and gears of war which run at 30 frames per second.

** Based on the posts by Billkwando and others lag seems to be non-issue but my major concern was regarding games that run at 30 fps and the image/frame doubling that occurs. I have noticed it quite clearly with the two games I mentioned above and is there any way to eliminate or reduce it??

Is anyone else here having the same issue with this plasma? Any remedies setting or otherwise to make it better?

The following thread explains what I am talking about in general.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1107325/30fps-gaming-at-60hz-and-the-effects-of-frame-doubling

Advise greatly appreciated from anyone. I cannot wait to have this plasma properly tuned!!!
post #276 of 1072 Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

DOES ANYONE THINK THE PRICE MAY GO DOWN MUCH LOWER OVER THE BLACK FRIDAY SALES PERIOD for this ,or a comparable plasma? Otherwise, I think I'm going to jump on the Costco deal before the 9/29 expiration. I do remember Costco had LG 50" 720Pers about a year ago for slightly under 600-it seemed astoundingly inexpensive at the time!
post #277 of 1072 Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post

I got one of these relatively recently (still in my 1st 100 hours, I'm sure) and am really loving it. My Serenity and Equilibrium HD DVDs look AMAZING. All I've messed with so far are the contrast and brightness, using the AVS calbration "disc" streaming on xbox 360 (just white and black clipping so far...gotta pull my Avia filter out of the dvd case soon)
I've had no problems with persistent IR, and I've already accidentally fallen asleep in front of it on the Netflix 360 menu (but I have the power saving mode that shuts it off after 3 hours, since the sleep timer won't go that high, and the xbox set for 1 hr). The stuff that likes to stick is the buttons on the xbox dashboard the missle display in Ace Combat: AH (which looks ammmaaaaaaaaazing as a guy who's used to playing it on a beautiful but outdated 36" RCA sdtv). I always run the screen wipe after watching non 16:9 content or after having anything paused or still for any length of time. I dont even run the wipe for the full 15 minutes. A few passes are enough to remove anything. I just run the wipe when I get up to do something.
I've played Street Fighter 2 Hyper fighting on it (first thing I played after Serenity), and more recently I've played beatmania IIDX (Happy Sky to be specific), and quite a few rounds of Samurai Shodown 2, and there was NO lag that I noticed...and that's after me coming straight off a CRT prior to this TV. Now granted I don't know how to test it scientifically, and I didn't do that great at beatmania, but I'm a poor player made poorer by not having played consistently in years. As far as actually saying "I hit that note when it told me to and I did badly", that never happened. In SS2 I was able to reflect some projectiles with Haohmaru's jug (which requires timing cos you have to bat them back at just the right time), and it felt perfectly normal.
I did try the Game Mode that is mentioned on the TV's specs, and while I know there is some debate on whether or not it actually makes the TV react faster as Panny claims, or whether it's just another picture mode, I did notice 2 things.
1) I did better on beatmania with it on (all testing mentioned above was done on Cinema)....but that could be attributed to the fact that I'd already played 5 or 6 rounds and may have just been more warmed up by then.
2) I noticed (or my brain may have wishfully perceived) a difference when playing with the white clipping test pattern. I was calibrating Cinema and Game for brightness and contrast, and had the idea of switching back and forth between the 2 to see if there was a noticeable difference, lag wise. So, what I did was watch the flashing closely for a long enough time to feel that I had the rhythm locked in my head, then flip to Game mode. I did this a few times. When I did this, I FELT like when I switched to game mode, the rhythm was broken by the stripes flashing sooner than my "internal metronome" expected them to, suggesting (to me) that there was even less delay in Game mode than in Cinema.
Now again, this could be my imagination, but I'd encourage anyone with this TV to try it and tell me what you think.
As far as my personal verdict (as a gamer who owns everything through Atari 2600 to Neo Geo to 360), I'm finding it perfectly agreeable for gaming in Cinema mode, so if the Game mode does make a difference, then it's all the better. Some other games I've tried and went fine were Bayonetta, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Halo Reach.
If there are any specific tests or in game actions you'd like me to try, let me know.
On another topic, what would happen if I hooked a composite source, and the green component plug, to a Y adapter and plugged that into the green/composite IN on the TV?
Another observation: I've noticed people say to turn this or that enhancement off because it's on by default (like CATS). I didn't have anything on by default, but perhaps that's because I went to Cinema the moment I turned it on, rather than Standard?

Great review. I think this post had summed it up for me but what gets me down is the 2 HDMI port. man what the heck only 2?
post #278 of 1072 Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghdood View Post

DOES ANYONE THINK THE PRICE MAY GO DOWN MUCH LOWER OVER THE BLACK FRIDAY SALES PERIOD for this ,or a comparable plasma? Otherwise, I think I'm going to jump on the Costco deal before the 9/29 expiration. I do remember Costco had LG 50" 720Pers about a year ago for slightly under 600-it seemed astoundingly inexpensive at the time!

doesn't Costco have a 90 day return policy?..so you would be fine to return and purchase lower elsewhere or in store price come 11/23 Black Friday
post #279 of 1072 Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashKid View Post

Great review. I think this post had summed it up for me but what gets me down is the 2 HDMI port. man what the heck only 2?

LOL That's what switchboxes are for! wink.gif

I still haven't gotten around to trying Gears of War yet, but I'll try to do it soon and see if I notice anything funny (frame doubling). I probably won't. I never said I was a videophile.....I just know lag when I see it. biggrin.gif
post #280 of 1072 Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post

I found that if all three RCA jacks on the TV are connected to a cable, the set will switch to component video. This is true even if only the green/composite is plugged into a device.

I posted to this thread last month, asking if there was a way to manually switch to composite, but received no responses.
post #281 of 1072 Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM

i just bought a u54 from my local costco for $599 + tax.

this is my first non-crt television.

i plan on reading the 10 pages before this posting and develop some form of a plan.

i must admit, though thrilled, i'm a wee bit overwhelmed.

the last time i bought a new tee vee was in 1987-a 20" panasonic!

i unboxed it and plugged it in.

embarrassing to be near four decades behind the curve.

ymmv.

be well.

rob
post #282 of 1072 Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Hey hey guys, just the the u54 from Costco last night for $599 + tax. I don't think its going to get much cheaper than that. Wife thought it would be a nice b-day present for me!

Reading through all 10 pages has been very informative and helpful.

Things I've learned:

• There is no dobly digital/DTS audio passthrough for HDMI inputs to the optical out. The TV will downmix it to 2.0 Stereo. :-(
  • For the first 100-200 hours Keep the contrast <80 and the brightness <55.
  • DON'T use 'Standard' mode for the picture. You'll be disappointed. Try Custom or Cinema to tweak your settings.
  • If you don't care for 3D or Internet connectivity this is the same TV as Higher models minus a few tweaks and a screen filter.

I haven't had a chance to try out my settings to get the best picture but I will do that tonight when I get home from work. If I'm wrong on any of these points please let me know.

I'm excited about the TV and appreciate everyones input here. Thanks!
-WDoG
post #283 of 1072 Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Got the 50U50 Friday night and so far love it. No issues to report. One question: why is the 3:2 pulldown option greyed out? smile.gif
post #284 of 1072 Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Been eyeing this TV for a few weeks now. I bought a Hisense 42" LED LCD to hold me over with with my newly acquired NFL ticket package with plans to replace it within the return period for the Panny.. I tweaked the Hisense really good to the point where I was thinking about keeping it but I never got comfortable with the size and wanted the bigger screen. Yesterday I went and got the U54 at Sam's Club for 599.99 + tax. Brought it home, plugged it in and after some fiddling with the settings with the help from you guys on this thread I got a picture that is ten times better than the Hisense I replaced. That might not mean much vs a Hisense but I also been watching a few NFL games at a friends house the previous few weeks on a top o' the line Samsung and I can honestly say that the U54 has a much better picture. Overall I am super happy about this TV and consider it one of my best purchases ever. Played Uncharted 3 on it last night and felt like I had a next-gen console. This is a great TV!
post #285 of 1072 Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Just picked this up from costco for $600. I feel like I was able to get just what I was looking for (1080p 2D value TV, no 3D, no smarts) thanks to this thread. So thank you to everyone for their inputs and experiences.

To share mine - Unfortunately I think I will have to return this TV. I really wanted to love it and everything is great except for the glare. It is really really bad. TV is not in a theater room, but in a, I would say, medium level darkness living room. Living room has 2 small windows to right of tv facing north towards a woods - not too much issue from them. The real problem is the TV is on an interior wall facing couches (~12 ft away) and behind couches is the kitchen (also dark) and through kitchen about ~50ft away from tv are large windows of the breakfast nook. Even with the wood blinds closed in the nook, the TV is hard to watch and very distracting during the daytime. At night, if the chandelier light is on in that nook, 50ft away, It looks like someone is shining a flashlight directly on the tv.

I'll give it some more time to see if I can ignore it, as I really want to love this tv, and love the features per price point.

Any advice on weather stepping up to the ST50 with the filter would fix this issue? (obviously a filter would help, but would it help enough?)

Or would you advise that I just go LED/LCD for this situation?

I would appreciate if anyone could share similar experiences with glare.

Thanks & Good Luck.
post #286 of 1072 Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxls View Post

I bought this set from Costco last week and am still in the process of running the slides to be on the safe side.
I have the contrast and brightness at 60 and 50 and am increasing contrast by 5 every 10 hours or so. Is this ok?
I am up to about 60 hours on the slides and am going to incorporate hd full screen content with no tickers and such with low contrast and brightness settings.
I am pretty sure I will be very very happy with the PQ in a week or two once I have set it up properly while watching movies and cable tv but I do have a few questions for all you gamers on this plasma.
I have a xbox 360 and will be using it mainly for games like BF3 and gears of war which run at 30 frames per second.
** Based on the posts by Billkwando and others lag seems to be non-issue but my major concern was regarding games that run at 30 fps and the image/frame doubling that occurs. I have noticed it quite clearly with the two games I mentioned above and is there any way to eliminate or reduce it??
Is anyone else here having the same issue with this plasma? Any remedies setting or otherwise to make it better?
The following thread explains what I am talking about in general.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1107325/30fps-gaming-at-60hz-and-the-effects-of-frame-doubling
Advise greatly appreciated from anyone. I cannot wait to have this plasma properly tuned!!!

You should turn the contrast up to 100 when running the slides or you will postpone the aging for calibration. It won't hurt the panel and on the brightest slides the Auto Brightness Limiter will kick in reducing the pixels brightness(luminance).
post #287 of 1072 Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 12
I have my u54 hanging above my fireplace, I painted the wall behind my tv 80 inches wide by 44 inches tall a flat black. Not only did it take out a lot glare it looks like watching at the theater. Hope this helps..
post #288 of 1072 Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Is the general consensus that this is just a re-branded UT50 minus 3D, 1 HDMI, internet features, and the acrylic border around the frame? Same contrast and .002fL black levels on the 60"?

Since they started selling the 60U50 for $899 on Amazon this suddenly became a good option to consider as a monitor only display.
post #289 of 1072 Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The U50 doesn't share the same new 'fast phosphor throw' as the others so with that said they could potentially have worse motion. The UT has outstanding motion performance, even rivaling last last year's high end model IMO. How much does this weight in on your purchase is up to you, but it's definitely excellent bang for your buck. I personally wouldn't skip out on 3D (now) and and faster panel so I thought the UT50 was worth it. Plus they calibrate extremely well for the price you pay as can be seen in the settings thread.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #290 of 1072 Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I thought the 2500 fast refresh was just marketing jargon? I've never seen a problem with motion on plasmas in general.
post #291 of 1072 Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Plasmas do have the best motion, but doesn't mean it can't get better. I've owned many sets including several Pioneers, an ST30, VT25, C8000, and now a UT50 and VT50 and both of these offer the best motion of the bunch (including my 9G Kuro). Pans are smoother to my eye without the use of motion smoother. But yeah.. I'm grasping at straws here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #292 of 1072 Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Plasma's defintily aren't CRT perfect in terms of motion handeling.
My 2012 X5 600hz panasonic plasma 'blurs' there's no doubt about it. Of course, it's
better than any LED/LCD on the market, but in comparison to a CRT. No contest.
My other LG 600hz 2011 plasma easily beats out my Panny X5
and come pretty darn close to matching a CRT tube TV.

To test, i just fire up anything first person related(60 frames per second) when it comes to gaming, be
it metroid prime 3, or even super mario galaxy in first person perspective, where I
rotate the camera around in circles. Now on a CRT, the motion resolution is perfectly intact. no
blur whatsoever or artifacts in sight, it's absolute perfection. However on my panny, blur is still evident along
with artifacts, each two things vary on different models of course.
But my 2011 LG plasma schools my 2012 plasma. the blur is extremely minimal....And i doubt the motion handeling
is any better on 1080p 600hz plasmas. XP
post #293 of 1072 Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

You just can't mix a CRT in with this crowd. They still hold the black level crown as well. Most ppl here think the Pioneer 9.5G Kuro is the best thing since sliced bread but the blacks on it still aren't as good as the Sony 34XBR960 (I had 3 of them). I had the black level on my 9G Kuro dropped to .0004 by D-Nice and while it's the current reference for flat panels.. you still can't put it next to a calibrated 960. <---sorry got a lil' carried away with CRT but anyway motion on plasma in fine (even better on plasmas with 72/96HZ. I question the 96HZ on the VT50 due to flickering but the 72HZ on Kuros are perfect.

post #294 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. My TV went out last night and I have been scrambling for its replacement, and Costco u54 may be it based on these glowing reviews. I'm terribly technology challenged and would appreciate if someone could elaborate on this recent post:

•There is no dobly digital/DTS audio passthrough for HDMI inputs to the optical out. The TV will downmix it to 2.0 Stereo. :-(

For my old TV, I ran HDMI from the set to a great 7 channel receiver, and have 7 speakers surrounding my basement area that provide sublime audio experience for dolby digital programming, and ho hum 2.0 for what doesn't. I assumed I'd be able to basically just plug all of the same cords into the new TV and have all the same audio. Probably my own ignorance is misinterpreting, but is this saying that a person can only get 2 channel sound with this TV connecting with HDMI? Very sorry for my ignorance, but that could be a deal breaker. I've put way too much into my audio.
post #295 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM

"They still hold the black level crown as well. Most ppl here think the Pioneer 9.5G Kuro is the best thing since sliced bread but the blacks on it still aren't as good as the Sony 34XBR960"

LOL. Saw this immediately above my first post to the thread. This is TV that broke on me last night (7 standby blinks) and I loved it so much I was half inclined to pay a $350 repair. Hopefully this U54 is better because I absolutely loved that set.
post #296 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

It's not gonna be better, but you can dream.

post #297 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 PM

I probably wasn't clear, I had the 34XBR. I'm pretty confident this will be better. Can you answer if I interpreted that other Dolby sound quote right... Any problem getting Dolby 7 channel sound through my receiver with the U54?
post #298 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure you should be able to duplicate your audio setup with this TV. There's nothing like a sublime audio experience.

I think I understand what you mean about "this will be better". Your referring to reliability. Yeah I'll agree that the XBR960 wasn't the most reliable of the bunch. The U50 should last you many years to come and with a bigger picture to boot so enjoy your new set!

post #299 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks for your reply. I never actually had any problems with the XBR although the samsung smart LED I recently bought for the wife has more clarity (almost looks fake), and the plasma a friend has the colors just pop. Haven't really noticed great HD on the XBR in a few years, although picture was always solid and well up to my modest standards.

On sound, I'm sure I was misunderstanding that quote and there should be a way to get my current stereo aligned with a 2012 TV. Unfortunately, I can't avoid exposing myself as a dummy on sites like this. I just took a look behind the XBR and lo and behold, I currently have DVI and red/white connection, not HDMI. I'll need to do more investigation tomorrow to see where they go, my guess is DVI to the cable box and red/white to the receiver. Probably means I need to replace the DVI with a DVI->HDMI converter. I set this system up 9 years ago with great help on AVS forum and unfortunately have forgotten most of why I did anything I did at set up. Guess I'll need to find the "welcome to the 21st century wiring" AVS board and go from there if I run into issues.
post #300 of 1072 Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Picked up a 60U50 today from walmart for $898

Pretty happy with it so far, just needs to get my Onkyo receiver in so I have enough HDMI inputs
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page