The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1069 Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey ya'll, I just purchased the tcp-50u50 from my local sears and have some questions and concerns. This is my first Plasma and I like it but I have had some issues and only had it for couple days. First issue was/is that there was static or snow that filled the whole screen, you could/can really see it when screen is black, at first it was only on HDMI 2. I called Panasonic and at first the guy tried to say it wasn't the tv but my ps3 or HDMI cable, I told him I tried my dish reciever with its HDMI cable and it would do the same and it doesn't happen on HDMI 1. After goin back and forth for awhile he had me reset the tv to factory, that worked at the time and I asked him what would cause that and if I should worry cause it is only a day old, he didn't have an answer.

So what is strange is I have the Disney WOW calib blueray and this problem first started when I was using the advanced settings in brightness, I noticed right away that there was static all over in the stars. After I did the reset on TV that seemed to fix it I tried the Disney WOW DVD again and BAM static came back while tryin to adjust brightness, I was using the HDMI 2 again. So I tried it on HDMI 1 with the Disney wow and right on cue when on the brightness screen with the stars the static came. Now on both HDMI's there is static but its not always there like it was the first time. On my dish reciever (which is HDMI 1) it doesn't happen that much but I will notice it when changing channels when screen goes black (it looks like what would happen to the old tvs when you didn't have signal) its harder to see when colors are on screen. On HDMI 2 It happens alot when playin on either Xbox or ps3, everytime the screen goes dark when loading or something there is static that fills screen. Im goin to reset my tv again but now Im worried about tryin to use my Disney wow again lol. Anyone have a clue whats goin on here? Is Disney WOW really causing this problem?

Alright a couple more things if anyone is still reading, On a certain channel(espn 2) theres sparkles all over, its different than the static, I mean it actually sparkles little white flashes all over the screen. So far ESPN 2 is the only channel I have noticed it on, I have never seen this on my LCDs. I have also noticed the screen will sometimes get brighter (Yes I have C.A.T.S. OFF) you can really see it while watching basketball for some reason, it will get bright really fast then slowly dim then get bright again, its actually hard to watch BBall games because of this, I don't really notice it that much watching anything else.

I like the TV, but Im concerned about these issues, I have acouple LCDs but this is my first Plasma so not sure whats normal and whats not for them. I purchased from Sears and was just looking at there return policy and it looks like they charge you a 15% restocking fee? I had no idea stores still do that, Im sure they would let me exchange it for another tv straight up wouldn't they?

I would very much appreciate any thoughts on these issues THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1069 Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 AM

This may be a stupid question but how do I get game mode turned on?
post #663 of 1069 Old 01-19-2013, 02:33 AM

The Costco/Sam's Club unit, the U54 doesn't have Game Mode. However, the standard retail model found at Best Buy, etc, is the U50; which does have Game Mode.
post #664 of 1069 Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 AM

I don't think there really is a game mode, just a picture setting like standard, cinema, vivid etc...thats called game, Im not sure if its any different than the other settings when it comes to lag. I have ben playin in game mode and I can't even buy a kill in black ops 2 (alright I get a few but its alot harder than on my old 40 lcd) Im not sure how to explain it, I don't think its lag, its more about aiming and keeping crosshairs where I want them, maybe its the jump up in size or the lack of lag, Plasmas are suppose to have less input lag than lcd right?

I also noticed on games like blackops they seem to be really dark even in game 'Mode" but when you go to graphics and change the in game brightness it wants you to turn it all the way down because that middle box is lit up like a christmas tree and if you do that its way to dark and people can see you but you can't see them because there in a shadow thats not suppose to be pitch black. Im still tryin to find a good setting between the in game brightness control and the tvs contrast, brightness etc...... Maybe the Im not use to the black level this tv has, its really inky

This tv has a beautiful picture though when watching BD and Football, basketball looks good too except the tv changing constantly from dim to bright and back to dim than bright and this is with C.A.T.S off, only notice it when watching basketball for some reason
post #665 of 1069 Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 AM

Thinking about getting this set, could I use the pixel flipper on my Disney wow blu-ray to age the phosphors on this set?
post #666 of 1069 Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 AM

Be careful using the disney wow on this tv lol, everytime I have tried the dang thing would make the tv static, it happens when I try to set brightness in advanced, not sure if it has something to do with the stars flashing and jumping around or what
post #667 of 1069 Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnopz View Post

The Costco/Sam's Club unit, the U54 doesn't have Game Mode. However, the standard retail model found at Best Buy, etc, is the U50; which does have Game Mode.

So has anyone run a calibration disc while under game mode, or have any settings with good results? I'm happy with somewhat adjusted cnet settings for TV/blu ray in cinema... but not sure what to set at for game. Was thinking of picking up the WOW disc or something but I'd rather try people's settings first.

Klipsch RF-3 Fronts
Klipsch RC-42-II Center
Klipsch RF-3 Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-41 II Rear Surrounds
Klipsch KSW-12 Sub
Yamaha Rx-V667
Panasonic TC-P60U50 Plasma
post #668 of 1069 Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnopz View Post

So I've had this TV (TC-50pu54) since early November and I followed all the proper first 100 hour use instructions. Just last night I fell asleep with the TV on the NFL channel.

Now it had burned in the ticker at the bottom of the screen and the left side of the panel has the news ticker column burnt in as well...

I tried scrolling bar feature for 15m followed by a full screen HD movie on repeat for 3 hours...

No change. Nothing.

This thing is going back to Costco. Wtf? Anyone else have this happen? I paid 499.99 + tax for this when it was on sale for it's lowest price the week before black Friday. What would you guys do? Return it and pay full price but get something that won't have these issues? Maybe go the way of LED instead of plasma (too many issues with plasma)?
From reading, it can tale a long time and deliberate care for IR to fade. Also, the higher the contrast setting, the more likely the issue (seems like many people like high contrast). One scroll is very little if IR is present, it's not a miracle cure -- could take many passes. For prevention, when watching TV programs with bars on them, I zoom to get rid of most of the bar fields and after a few hours I scroll once or twice. I also have the set shut off after 3 hours as protection against falling asleep, plus I've the pixel orbiter turned on.

This is my first plasma and I like it, but I also view it very much as an interactive TV (unlike LCD). I have to work in partnership with it in order to protect against IR.
post #669 of 1069 Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idec Sdawkminn View Post

I see. I wasn't setting it to 100 just because I wanted it brighter. I was setting it to that because that's what the instructions on the AVS HD 709 Basic Settings videos said to do. The instructions read:
My display falls into this category, so I used it. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that this is what the calibration instructions said to do. Is there a highest recommended setting? It would be nice if the instructions in the AVS HD 709 mentioned this in the instructions.
I would never do that on any display device. Set the contrast no higher than the minimum needed for an enjoyable picture. Typically, that should be not far from halfway. At the least, try to set it as far as feasible from maximum. If the rest of the picture settings are correct, then a high contrast setting shouldn't be needed.
post #670 of 1069 Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM

OMG, I'm watching Australian Open tennis right now and it looks better than I've ever seen it on my prior sets. It's fantastic. I've only had a few issues with the set that had me panicking for a while. There seemed to have been a burn in effect from watching MSNBC news for what must've been a long time (maybe during the national conventions?). They always have that same banner at the top of the screen and it burned in. But now it's gone, thanks in part to the pixel flipper from my WOW disc...and time healed the rest.

The other issue I had was with line bleeding. I realized that's something plasma's just seem to have. In retrospect I realized my 42-inch Panny had that too, but the screen was small enough it wasn't so obvious. On the 50-inch it's definitely more noticeable. But I'm getting over it.

I can't get over how much better this tv handles the HD programing (especially sporting events) than my prior hdtvs.

The good news is I have FINALLY settled on my adjustments. I haven't even thought about tweaking my Contrast in months. For me, that's huge.

Cinema Mode

Contrast: 96
Brightness: 56
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 30
Color Temp: Warm1
Color mgmt: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2 (your preference)
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: Auto
post #671 of 1069 Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniek View Post

So has anyone run a calibration disc while under game mode, or have any settings with good results? I'm happy with somewhat adjusted cnet settings for TV/blu ray in cinema... but not sure what to set at for game. Was thinking of picking up the WOW disc or something but I'd rather try people's settings first.

I didn't like how it looked in game mode at all, crushed blacks really bad and you would lose alot of detail. I went back through this thread again and read every post instead of skimming through like I did last time and Someone posted to change your HDMI settings to Graphic, this actually helped out alot and the games look amazing now. If only I could figure out why I get a static screen (like how the old tvs looked when they didn't have a signal) it happens when the screen goes black, when games load or sometimes in between changing channels. It doesn't show up much when theres something/color on screen. I first noticed it while using the WOW and Panasonic said to reset TV, that worked until I used the WOW again, now resetting doesn't get rid of it. I might just have to exchange it.

Anyway here are my settings I use, Im sure I will still do some tweaking to these but these should make it look pretty damn good imo

Game Mode

Contrast 100

Brightness 55

color 49

tint 0

Sharpness 50

Color temp - Normal
Color mgmt - off
C.A.T.S - off
Video NR - Weak
Screen - full
HD - Size 2

HDMI Settings
HDMI/DVI RGB range - Auto
Content type - Graphics

Block NR - Off
Mosquito - Off
Black level - Light

I noticed people have ben turning 3:2 pulldown on, but it always seems to be greyed out.
post #672 of 1069 Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 12
So after seeing these sets dissappear from several stores in my area and online retailers in the past few days, I picked up a p60u50 from Walmart last night .

All I can say is "Wow" this thing blows away my 2008 50pz85u!

I only watched a few minutes of DirecTv programming and Blu-Ray last night and then proceeded to run the break in slides (you guys still do a 100 hr break in right?). I was immediately impressed by the greatly improved black levels over my 2008 plasma. I only tweaked the contrast down to 50, set the picture to cinema and warm2 and already the colors look much more accurate over my old set. ABL is a non-issue with the contrast at 50 (haven't tried it higher), and while the screen is reflective, it isn't any more so than on my 2008 Panny. Overall I am very happy.

And to those of you who feel the set doesn't bright enough, I feel contrast at 50 is plenty bright. And to me, 100 is eye-scorching!

I can't wait to complete the break in and put some hours on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 250r View Post

Do any of you guys have experience comparing the u50 with an older panny plasma? Is the ABL more agressive on the u50 than on the older panny sets? is the screen more reflective? is the set dimmer overall?

I currently have a 50pz85u and am looking to upgrade to the p60u50. I am very happy with the 85u, I'm looking at the u50 so I can upgrade screen size then move the 50" to the bedroom.

I see some negative comments regarding the ABL, the overall brightness and the reflectivity of the u50. Are these comments coming from people who are familiar with plasma technolgy and are just disappointed by the set or are they coming from individuals who are used to TV's set to "torch" mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I don't have direct experience but yes the ABL is more aggressive, no ar coating so probably reflective, not sure on the light output but I think there is a cap in the low 30's ftl wise
post #673 of 1069 Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM

Hi Guys,

Have this set now too: After much time tinkering I found that the settings that work best for me are:

Cinema
Contrast 100
Brightness 56
Color 55
Sharpness 60

I don't know enough about the others HR Blocking, Mosquito. etc -- Any advice on these is appreciated.

No matter what I do in Custom, Standard, etc... it just doesnt look right. -- flesh tones look off and more significant artifacting.

Two other questions:

1. On DirecTV I seem to get a good amount of artfacting ot "blocking" with motion. How common is this? Is there anything I can do to fix? Seem to be a problem more for some channels than the other. Regardless I do see some black spotches in some scenes. Sometimes noticable, sometimes not.

2. I've read you guys talk about breaking in and swiping. Can you please talk more about this? I've used the set for about a week. Is there anything a should do on this? What are the benefits.

My TV is near a big window. The light definitely has an impact and makes the screen hazy. I suppose there's not much I can really do about this but I'd like recommendations short of moving the TV (not really an option).

Thanks,
Darren
post #674 of 1069 Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruR8er4life View Post

I didn't like how it looked in game mode at all, crushed blacks really bad and you would lose alot of detail. I went back through this thread again and read every post instead of skimming through like I did last time and Someone posted to change your HDMI settings to Graphic, this actually helped out alot and the games look amazing now. If only I could figure out why I get a static screen (like how the old tvs looked when they didn't have a signal) it happens when the screen goes black, when games load or sometimes in between changing channels. It doesn't show up much when theres something/color on screen. I first noticed it while using the WOW and Panasonic said to reset TV, that worked until I used the WOW again, now resetting doesn't get rid of it. I might just have to exchange it.

Anyway here are my settings I use, Im sure I will still do some tweaking to these but these should make it look pretty damn good imo

Game Mode

Contrast 100

Brightness 55

color 49

tint 0

Sharpness 50

Color temp - Normal
Color mgmt - off
C.A.T.S - off
Video NR - Weak
Screen - full
HD - Size 2

HDMI Settings
Content type - Graphics

Block NR - Off
Mosquito - Off
Black level - Light

I noticed people have ben turning 3:2 pulldown on, but it always seems to be greyed out.

I'm not sure what you exactly mean, but is the screen brightening up when it encounters full black screens? Mine does this as well, the only way I can get it to stop is to drop brightness down to about 50, maybe a tick or 2 less.
post #675 of 1069 Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

I'm not sure what you exactly mean, but is the screen brightening up when it encounters full black screens? Mine does this as well, the only way I can get it to stop is to drop brightness down to about 50, maybe a tick or 2 less.

It will brighten up but when it does it has static or ?snow on screen, like I said how the older tvs would get when they wouldn't get a signal, except it doesn't make that horrible noise while doing it like the older tvs would. Im going to call Panasonic again and more than likely will take it back
post #676 of 1069 Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruR8er4life View Post

It will brighten up but when it does it has static or ?snow on screen, like I said how the older tvs would get when they wouldn't get a signal, except it doesn't make that horrible noise while doing it like the older tvs would. Im going to call Panasonic again and more than likely will take it back

Maybe you are having a different problem than I have with it, it does look like static on mine when a pure black screen comes up, but it isn't static, just a massive amount of dithering, which does look like snow, but this only happens to me when I have my brightness from around 55-59, once I drop to about 50 or less it goes away. This doesn't happen on my tv when I am in cinema mode though, just every other picture mode.
post #677 of 1069 Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Game Mode

Contrast 100

Brightness 55

color 49

tint 0

Sharpness 50

Color temp - Normal
Color mgmt - off
C.A.T.S - off
Video NR - Weak
Screen - full
HD - Size 2

HDMI Settings
Content type - Graphics

Block NR - Off
Mosquito - Off
Black level - Light

I noticed people have ben turning 3:2 pulldown on, but it always seems to be greyed out.[/quote]

Alright I used the WOW in game mode and just like evey other mode you can't get enough contrast without over doing the brightness it seems, but the closest I could get to what the WOW wanted was

Contrast 100
Brightness 65
color 51-52
tint 1-2

I game in dark room so I backed off brightness to 60,but I was in a dark room when using the wow so......
post #678 of 1069 Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

Maybe you are having a different problem than I have with it, it does look like static on mine when a pure black screen comes up, but it isn't static, just a massive amount of dithering, which does look like snow, but this only happens to me when I have my brightness from around 55-59, once I drop to about 50 or less it goes away. This doesn't happen on my tv when I am in cinema mode though, just every other picture mode.

Maybe it is an extreme case of dithering, this is my first plasma and I never seen this before and if this is normal maybe I will go back to LCD/LED. I just got back from Sears and the guy there said to bring it in and exchange it because it shouldn't look like that unless its the HDMI cable, I tried 3 different cables with 3 different sources and they all do it so has to be TV and the more I read about dithering I believe thats what Im seeing. I even get the sparkle effect on a few channels which is very annoying. Im going to exchange for another one and hope its not near as bad, if so its goin right back
post #679 of 1069 Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 AM

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 $599.99 at Best Buy right now.
post #680 of 1069 Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Bought one last week. Hours are still too low to do any "calibration", but am wondering if anyone has noticed the following?

In "cinema mode" and" warm" or "warm 2", I have noticed that if there is a predominantly red background, whites seem to have a very reddish tint to them. Much less so if the background has more blue to it. I haven't really noticed it with greenish backgrounds yet. I don't notice this with my old RPTV.
The problem is not so bad set to normal, as opposed to warm or warm 2.

In case it matters, contrast is set around 50, at least until I get more hours on it.
bright, 45-50
tint is centered and so is colour.

This problem isn't that bad for me, and other than that, I think the PQ is very good. ABL is a little annoying, but don't notice it much during "real" content, just commercials, and it isn't like I care about the PQ of commercials (except Victoria's Secret smile.gif ).
Scramble likes this.

Scott Stephens
post #681 of 1069 Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just picked up my TC-P50U50 yesterday (for $600). I've been using a Sony KD-34XBR370 for the last 7 years, which is being moved into our bedroom. As expected the XBR has better color fidelity and shadow detail. That being said, the 50's colors and shadow detail are pretty close, and I hope will improve as the TV gets some more hours on it. In any case it looks better than my parents' LED Samsung they just got last month. Of course the 50 trumps the XBR in screen size, resolution, and perfect geometry (the main reasons why I upgraded).

I ran the AVS 709 ISO to give it a quick pre-break in calibration. I can't believe how high some people are running their contrast. I settled on 65 for the time being and that seems plenty bright to me. The rest of my settings if anyone cares:

Custom
Warm 2
Graphics
Contrast +65
Brightness +50
Color +57
Tint -2
Sharpness +23
Color Management: off
C.A.T.S.: off
Video NR: off
Block NR: off

BTW, I used a blue filter and the color and tint are perfect.
post #682 of 1069 Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Brightness is linked with dithering, crank it up, it becomes obvious.
post #683 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

I picked up the 50U50 from Sears the other day and started the break-in period. I have had Panasonic, Pioneer and NEC plasmas in the past so I am very familiar with the 100-200 hour time span. I have it on Cinema mode with Contrast and Brightness below 50 and am only running full-screen movies from Amazon 12 hours/day.

Granted that the settings are not at their correct level but here is what I am noticing: Black levels are excellent but I am seeing/sensing the movement of the pixels in the background of the picture even though I am 10 feet away. I don't see any physical lines but I can sense movement in the background when it should not be moving. This 50U50 is replacing a very good 42 inch NEC plasma which continues to have a terrific and smooth picture. Is there something wrong with this panel (November 2012 build) or is this normal? Most of my previous plasmas have been higher-level but I could not resist the budget pricing - and all of the reviews have cited the great picture. Perhaps I am just not seeing it yet but this concerns me.

Thoughts?
post #684 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 823
No clue. Can you describe it another way.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #685 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

I would call it "Video Noise" except that there is no static or snow. It is more that the background of the picture shakes a bit. When you stand 2 feet from the panel, you can see all of the movement in the background....I can see this from 10 feet. I don't have that problem with my 50 inch Pioneer or with the 42 inch NEC.
post #686 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Do you have "motion smoother" off? Go ahead and set your contrast and brightness at something realistic too. Try 80 and 55.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #687 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I have all of the "picture enhancements" set to Off. I also set the Content to Graphics based on a few recommendations in the UT thread. I set the Contrast and Brightness to their regular numbers and popped in an HD-DVD which may look a bit better. Previously, I have been streaming full screen movies from Amazon just to fill up the hours. My usual viewing is HD cable and streaming video from Amazon/Netflix, etc.... as opposed to Blu-ray. My eye just keeps getting drawn to the background because it looks "busy".
post #688 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvtFoci View Post

Anybody else experiencing a lot of noise during some movies. Popped in I Am Legend blu-ray to see some scenes, especially the ones in the dark and I noticed a lot of "snow" and shimmering noise, grain in the dark scenes. Its pretty bad and very distracting. Using cinema and brightness at 50, I have to lower the brightness to below 40 for the effect to be less noticeable. It's only a few days old so I'm wondering if that's normal or do I have bad panel?

This sounds similar to what I have been experiencing. You mentioned outputting an RGB signal in your devices solved your issue. How did you do this? I watch streaming video through a Roku and HD cable through a TiVo.
post #689 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM

Hi - I purchased a U50 a few days ago, and this is my first plasma. I was surprised that on a fully black screen with all room lights off that the screen was dark grey and not more black like my Sony and old Sharp CRTs. Were my expectations on black levels for plasma too high? I am now not sure if I just got a bad unit or if this is the best black this tv can display. Its hard to compare at stores as they usually don't have their tvs in controlled lighting rooms.

I often hear plasma people say they can't tell where the screen ends and the TV border begins but I definitely can (less so if there are images on the screen versus a fully black screen). My brightness is set at 50 and contrast 50, lowering brightness further does not lower the black level any further.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #690 of 1069 Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_ACa View Post

Hi - I purchased a U50 a few days ago, and this is my first plasma. I was surprised that on a fully black screen with all room lights off that the screen was dark grey and not more black like my Sony and old Sharp CRTs. Were my expectations on black levels for plasma too high? I am now not sure if I just got a bad unit or if this is the best black this tv can display. Its hard to compare at stores as they usually don't have their tvs in controlled lighting rooms.

I often hear plasma people say they can't tell where the screen ends and the TV border begins but I definitely can (less so if there are images on the screen versus a fully black screen). My brightness is set at 50 and contrast 50, lowering brightness further does not lower the black level any further.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dark grey is about as good as it gets with this flat panel, when viewing a full black screen in a dark room.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page