The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

nveleven22's Avatar nveleven22
10:50 AM Liked: 12
post #811 of 1077
02-22-2013 | Posts: 21
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Fair enough, really bad explanation on my part. I was just trying to simplify the process by not explaining the difference between dithering and film grain. What I should have said is that people are usually mistaking graininess and pixelation in poor source content, for dithering.

Ah, my misunderstanding then. You're correct, graininess and pixelation are artifacts introduced by the source material.
jsnkiefer's Avatar jsnkiefer
08:23 AM Liked: 10
post #812 of 1077
02-25-2013 | Posts: 24
Joined: Jan 2009
I REALLY want to try anikun's settings, but I'm nervous to go into the Service Menu. Was it difficult? Can you "reset to factory" if you don't like it?
Johnrg87's Avatar Johnrg87
09:45 AM Liked: 10
post #813 of 1077
02-25-2013 | Posts: 69
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnkiefer View Post

I REALLY want to try anikun's settings, but I'm nervous to go into the Service Menu. Was it difficult? Can you "reset to factory" if you don't like it?

It's pretty easy.. But no, I don't think you can do a factory reset for the service menu values. I'm not 100% on that though.

Just make sure you jot down all of your original values, and remember that they're different for each color temp. That way if you don't like the settings, or get lost, you can always find your way back to default.
Voyeur's Avatar Voyeur
10:34 AM Liked: 11
post #814 of 1077
02-25-2013 | Posts: 385
Joined: May 2007
I'm loving the new anikun settings more and more. The colors are fantastic. The skin tones of the athletes are much more accurate when watching basketball or English Premier soccer. I'm not a NASCAR fan (dispite living near Daytona), but I was in awe of how great the picture looks with the new settings.

As I wrote earlier, the change in color has allowed me to alter some of my other settings. I know they aren't generally related, but I think I felt I had to have my contrast higher partially because the colors didn't quite "pop" the way I wanted them to. Now that the color is more accurate, I'm comfortable bringing my contrast down (consequently, bringing my brightness slightly up too):

Cinema mode
Contrast: +83
Brightness: +57
Color: +49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +20 (this goes back and forth)
Color Temp: Warm1
Everything else basically "off" or "auto"
algeeba's Avatar algeeba
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #815 of 1077
02-26-2013 | Posts: 79
Joined: Dec 2006
I also tried anikun's settings and I can say that the colors popped more and black seemed more black and I liked it. That haze was also gone when in cinema mode.

But then I put my my AVSHD calibration disk into my Panasonic Blu-Ray player and my XA2 HD-DVD player and I see that the brightness has to be turned up a lot so that the blacks are not crushed based on the calibration disk. I also had to make adjustments to the color and tint. I decided to watch a couple of movies without making those adjustments, and it looked good, but in my mind I tell myself that I am crushing the blacks and the colors are not as per the calibration disk.

So, when you are altering your settings, are you calibrating the brightness, contrast, color and tint through your player/calibration disk or just eyeballing when watching an HD tv broadcast? Are your black levels not being crushed?
jsnkiefer's Avatar jsnkiefer
11:50 AM Liked: 10
post #816 of 1077
02-26-2013 | Posts: 24
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post

I'm loving the new anikun settings more and more. The colors are fantastic. The skin tones of the athletes are much more accurate when watching basketball or English Premier soccer. I'm not a NASCAR fan (dispite living near Daytona), but I was in awe of how great the picture looks with the new settings.

As I wrote earlier, the change in color has allowed me to alter some of my other settings. I know they aren't generally related, but I think I felt I had to have my contrast higher partially because the colors didn't quite "pop" the way I wanted them to. Now that the color is more accurate, I'm comfortable bringing my contrast down (consequently, bringing my brightness slightly up too):

Cinema mode
Contrast: +83
Brightness: +57
Color: +49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +20 (this goes back and forth)
Color Temp: Warm1
Everything else basically "off" or "auto"



.... so you applied anikun's settings to: CINEMA/WARM 1?
Voyeur's Avatar Voyeur
09:13 AM Liked: 11
post #817 of 1077
02-27-2013 | Posts: 385
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnkiefer View Post

.... so you applied anikun's settings to: CINEMA/WARM 1?
Yeah. It appears to affect both Warm1 and Warm2...I just prefer Warm1.
jsnkiefer's Avatar jsnkiefer
01:24 PM Liked: 10
post #818 of 1077
02-27-2013 | Posts: 24
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post

Yeah. It appears to affect both Warm1 and Warm2...I just prefer Warm1.

got it. Thanks. Any other helpful suggestions (other than writing down the original settings)?
Voyeur's Avatar Voyeur
12:22 AM Liked: 11
post #819 of 1077
02-28-2013 | Posts: 385
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnkiefer View Post

got it. Thanks. Any other helpful suggestions (other than writing down the original settings)?
None that I can think of. Once you write the old settings down, you can program them back in pretty easily should you find the new settings unsatisfactory.
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
02:17 AM Liked: 12
post #820 of 1077
03-01-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
The very best settings for this tv are
Picture cinema
Contrast 100
Brightness 56
Color 45
Tiny plus 1
Sharp 0
Warm 2
Hd size 2
Hdmi auto and graphics
Custom
Contrast 96
Brightness 59
Color 45
Tint plus 1
Sharp 0
Warm 2
Hd size 2
Hd settings auto and graphics
Everything else off...
stillgolfing's Avatar stillgolfing
10:31 AM Liked: 11
post #821 of 1077
03-02-2013 | Posts: 36
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

The very best settings for this tv are
.
Do you mean technically or to your eye? Those settings would be offensive to my eye. Too bright, too colourful, too soft and too warm.
Dave
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
07:03 PM Liked: 12
post #822 of 1077
03-02-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
Technically.. Full calibration
chunon's Avatar chunon
07:40 PM Liked: 566
post #823 of 1077
03-02-2013 | Posts: 5,391
Joined: Dec 2007
If thats a full calibration what are the white balance settings and was this done with a meter ?
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
07:44 PM Liked: 12
post #824 of 1077
03-02-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
I did notice some dithering so I set the brightness down to 55 in cinema mode that took care of it
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
07:47 PM Liked: 12
post #825 of 1077
03-02-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
Sorry brightness is at 54
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
09:29 PM Liked: 12
post #826 of 1077
03-02-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
Back at brightness 56 no dithering
JSpectre88's Avatar JSpectre88
11:46 AM Liked: 54
post #827 of 1077
03-03-2013 | Posts: 1,000
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

Technically.. Full calibration

I wouldn't exactly call the CNET settings the "very best".
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
12:19 PM Liked: 921
post #828 of 1077
03-03-2013 | Posts: 12,684
Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

I wouldn't exactly call the CNET settings the "very best".
Is that what they are?!
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
01:53 PM Liked: 12
post #829 of 1077
03-03-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
I think there the best I've seen once I got used to them, I'm still waiting for someone to post actual full calibration settings using the service menu
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
01:54 PM Liked: 12
post #830 of 1077
03-03-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
They are cnet under the tcp50u50 settings, same panel
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
01:56 PM Liked: 12
post #831 of 1077
03-03-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
I just bought the vizio m550vse and I can't get this thing even close to the panny, great for gaming though...
JSpectre88's Avatar JSpectre88
02:13 PM Liked: 54
post #832 of 1077
03-03-2013 | Posts: 1,000
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

I just bought the vizio m550vse and I can't get this thing even close to the panny, great for gaming though...

What's wrong with the U50 game mode? I think it has one if I recall, not positive.
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
01:49 AM Liked: 12
post #833 of 1077
03-04-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
I have the u54, I called panasonic and asked where game mode was because it says game mode on the box and online and they, Oh our bad it doesn't have game mode, I would like to sue there ass for false advertisement...
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
02:55 PM Liked: 12
post #834 of 1077
03-04-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
Ok so I took back the Vizio and got the panny 60u54 and I need the best settings for this, ps3 game mode settings, blueray and cable.. Thanks guys
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
03:34 PM Liked: 921
post #835 of 1077
03-04-2013 | Posts: 12,684
Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

Ok so I took back the Vizio and got the panny 60u54 and I need the best settings for this, ps3 game mode settings, blueray and cable.. Thanks guys
Seek and you shall find. smile.gif
shobuddy's Avatar shobuddy
06:36 PM Liked: 12
post #836 of 1077
03-04-2013 | Posts: 23
Joined: Nov 2012
I've had trouble playing mkv files via USB on the U50. Some mkv files work and some don't. What should I be looking for as far as mkv file specs for it to play on the TV?
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
12:20 AM Liked: 12
post #837 of 1077
03-05-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
Game mode sucks bad compared to the vizio doesn't support RGB full range and nonstandard puts the cloud effect on the screen anything above a brightness of 54 causes dithering in any mode I love both this and my 50u54 for blueray but I think I'll take this back and go with the Sammy pn60e535
JSpectre88's Avatar JSpectre88
04:21 AM Liked: 54
post #838 of 1077
03-05-2013 | Posts: 1,000
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

Game mode sucks bad compared to the vizio doesn't support RGB full range and nonstandard puts the cloud effect on the screen anything above a brightness of 54 causes dithering in any mode I love both this and my 50u54 for blueray but I think I'll take this back and go with the Sammy pn60e535

You don't need RGB, you can set it up so it looks exactly the same in standard. I don't understand your brightness complaint, leave it at 54 then, it doesn't need to go any higher.
Tk111's Avatar Tk111
11:57 AM Liked: 12
post #839 of 1077
03-05-2013 | Posts: 178
Joined: Sep 2012
What are your settings in standard mode? Game mode is useless and will your standard settings work on my 50u54 as well?
JSpectre88's Avatar JSpectre88
12:59 PM Liked: 54
post #840 of 1077
03-05-2013 | Posts: 1,000
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

What are your settings in standard mode? Game mode is useless and will your standard settings work on my 50u54 as well?

I meant you should be able to set it up using Standard (216-235) just as well as you can with RGB. Is there any other reason it's useless?
Tags: Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays

Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3