The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question) my 60u54-2 what is the dash 2? Do I have a different tv than u54?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

Question) my 60u54-2 what is the dash 2? Do I have a different tv than u54?

Just a manufacturing designation, my vt50 has the same -2, I did hear that might represent sets with screws designed to minimize buzzing but not confirmed.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by algeeba View Post

Do you all re-calibrate your players using a disc after putting in anikun07's settings? I ask, because when I put anikun07's settings and look at the black bars and whites on my blu-ray and hd-dvd players using a calibration disk, it appears that black's are being crushed and I end up having to crank up the brightness.

Let me know.
It doesn't hurt to check the settings. I actually went up one on brightness, down quite a bit on contrast after the settings.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post

It doesn't hurt to check the settings. I actually went up one on brightness, down quite a bit on contrast after the settings.

Rule of thumb is "everthing effects everything", you are correct to go back and check brightness and contrast

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Rule of thumb is "everthing effects everything", you are correct to go back and check brightness and contrast
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Just a manufacturing designation, my vt50 has the same -2, I did hear that might represent sets with screws designed to minimize buzzing but not confirmed.
Thank you also I've heard people talking of a green tint on the picture I have no green tint I've also noticed the picture quality on my 50u54 is better than my 60u54 I only have 130 hours on the 60u54 does that have anything to do with it?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Thank you also I've heard people talking of a green tint on the picture I have no green tint I've also noticed the picture quality on my 50u54 is better than my 60u54 I only have 130 hours on the 60u54 does that have anything to do with it?
Also I use ps3 steaming for the 50u54 and the dmp-bd77 for the 60u54
Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post

I've had trouble playing mkv files via USB on the U50. Some mkv files work and some don't. What should I be looking for as far as mkv file specs for it to play on the TV?

I've had the same problem on my Panny bluray player with MKVs, I found out it didn't like the DD-II (Dolby Digital) audio and preferred AC-3. Unless the audio was in AC-3 format, it wouldn't play the files.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I was here last and I had some questions about my most recent purchase.

I just received a 60PU54-2 and was wondering about a few things.

I'm used to watching a 52" Samsung LCD which I bought a few years ago and paid over 2 grand for, that has an amazing picture, so now I get my first plasma and while realizing I only paid $699.99 for this TV, the majority of the reviews were very positive.

So, I bought it sight unseen and my first impressions aren't that positive.

I understand there is a "break in" period for plasmas?

Will the picture improve after this break in, or do I need to adjust certain settings and can I adjust these now or should I wait until after the break in period?

The first issue I noticed was a blurring or hazing around text on the screen while watching anything that had words on screen. I actually did change some settings slightly and the fuzziness improved slightly so maybe I need to do some more tinkering.

Now it seems that the colors are washed out a little and was hoping someone could point me to the right settings to adjust for this problem. Skin tones aren't quite where I would like them.

I'm probably just spoiled by my 52" Samsung and need to realize that maybe I'm not gonna get that great of picture on this new plasma.

Thanks for listening.....

John36
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Thi
Quote:
Originally Posted by John36 View Post

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I was here last and I had some questions about my most recent purchase.

I just received a 60PU54-2 and was wondering about a few things.

I'm used to watching a 52" Samsung LCD which I bought a few years ago and paid over 2 grand for, that has an amazing picture, so now I get my first plasma and while realizing I only paid $699.99 for this TV, the majority of the reviews were very positive.

So, I bought it sight unseen and my first impressions aren't that positive.

I understand there is a "break in" period for plasmas?

Will the picture improve after this break in, or do I need to adjust certain settings and can I adjust these now or should I wait until after the break in period?

The first issue I noticed was a blurring or hazing around text on the screen while watching anything that had words on screen. I actually did change some settings slightly and the fuzziness improved slightly so maybe I need to do some more tinkering.

Now it seems that the colors are washed out a little and was hoping someone could point me to the right settings to adjust for this problem. Skin tones aren't quite where I would like them.

I'm probably just spoiled by my 52" Samsung and need to realize that maybe I'm not gonna get that great of picture on this new plasma.

Thanks for listening.....
you samsung can't even come close to the picture quality the panny has just watch normal tv full screen and stay away from supper static logos for 150 hours it get better with age, you don't need to run low contrast and brightness to break it in my settings are contrast 90 brightness 56 color 49 sharpness 25 tint 0 warm 1 everything else off its been that way since day 1 turn on picture orbitor and enjoy
My custom settings are the same as cnet
Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Thi
you samsung can't even come close to the picture quality the panny has just watch normal tv full screen and stay away from supper static logos for 150 hours it get better with age, you don't need to run low contrast and brightness to break it in my settings are contrast 90 brightness 56 color 49 sharpness 25 tint 0 warm 1 everything else off its been that way since day 1 turn on picture orbitor and enjoy
My custom settings are the same as cnet

Thank you.

Here are my current settings:

Cinema

Contrast: 97
Brightness: 59
Color: 50
Tint: +1
Sharpness: +10
Color Temp: Warm 1
Color Mgt: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off

Advanced Setting

Block NR: Off
Mosquito: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pull Down: Greyed out

Anything look too crazy that might need changed?

Thanks again.

John36
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would take the contrast down to 90. You probably wont even notice the difference and it may help with ir.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I would take the contrast down to 90. You probably wont even notice the difference and it may help with ir.

Thank you as well.

I will try what you suggested and see what happens.

Thanks

John36
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Well, now I have another issue.

I was watching the latest episode of Spartacus and just about every time someone moved there was a real fast ( not sure how to describe this) blurring.

I guess you could call it a blurring, but it was very subtle. It eventually got to the point where it was hard to watch the show, as it was a constant annoyance.

I then checked a lot of other channels to see if this blurring was happening on other channels and couldn't find any other channels doing this.

So, I thought that maybe this blurring was in the actual filming of the show, as Spartacus has some crazy scenes. I had recorded this show from earlier so

I then watched it from my 52" Samsung LCD and there was no blurring. So, it definitely had to be the plasma. Why just on this one program is a mystery to me.

Hopefully that doesn't continue to happen.

Is that what is referred to as motion blur? I thought plasma's were supposed to be good with fast action motion.

It's still early, so maybe after this thing breaks in all will be well.

Fingers crossed..........

John36
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM

I have the 50 and the 60 my 50 has 1800 hours on it and the picture is superb my 60 looked bad when I first pluged it in but now with almost 200 hours on it the picture looks awesome give it time
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 30
Hey everyone, just wanted to drop a line and share my initial reaction to the 60" u54. I picked it up from Sams club for 798$. Initially after un boxing, mounting the stand, and simply plunging in the power cord and hdmi in from my receiver, I was underwhelmed. I expected this as the settings out of the box are trash. Still the picture had this graininess I didn't think the settings would correct. Went ahead and plugged in anikuns cinema settings and I have to say this is the one of the best television pictures I have ever seen. Colors are so accurate. I find the quality of the source material ultimately decides how great the PQ is. I'm coming from a rear projection dlp with a matte Screen (hlt5676s) an this set trounces that set according to my eyes. I have not changed any service menu settings and am not sure I will, but I did check the runtime in the service menu and am happy to find that I am the first owner. I'mtthoroughly enjoying my new set, and am curious if the service menu settings are worth it?Any input much apappreciated!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1229 View Post

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop a line and share my initial reaction to the 60" u54. I picked it up from Sams club for 798$. Initially after un boxing, mounting the stand, and simply plunging in the power cord and hdmi in from my receiver, I was underwhelmed. I expected this as the settings out of the box are trash. Still the picture had this graininess I didn't think the settings would correct. Went ahead and plugged in anikuns cinema settings and I have to say this is the one of the best television pictures I have ever seen. Colors are so accurate. I find the quality of the source material ultimately decides how great the PQ is. I'm coming from a rear projection dlp with a matte Screen (hlt5676s) an this set trounces that set according to my eyes. I have not changed any service menu settings and am not sure I will, but I did check the runtime in the service menu and am happy to find that I am the first owner. I'mtthoroughly enjoying my new set, and am curious if the service menu settings are worth it?Any input much apappreciated!
I'm wondering if I should calibrate in the service menu also, mine is ready
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Anyone know the remote code for Comcast remote and pioneer htp071 receiver ?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Wow I am anikun's settings and the picture quality is truly amazing on blueray! I watched the (Advengers). No motion blur no lag just awesome.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Liked: 10
I have the cartoon network logo stuck on my tv fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! It happened a couple of days ago it could be fading or I just think so in my eyes. It's only noticeable one a white screen can't see it when it's any other color.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNets24 View Post

I have the cartoon network logo stuck on my tv fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! It happened a couple of days ago it could be fading or I just think so in my eyes. It's only noticeable one a white screen can't see it when it's any other color.
I wish there was a way we could get these networks to make there logos transparent!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNets24 View Post

Hey man I'm sorry to hear that. How long have you had your set? You can run the scrolling bar wipe feature to see if that helps. It will probably just go away. Did you break your set in? I personally just plugged it in, calibrated it, and started watching TV as normal. Like I said in an earlier post I think I got lucky because my set truly looks amazing. Also, my daughter has watched Disney Channel with that red and black logo for about an hr and all half each morning (she's 4 and gets up at the asscrack of dawn so I taught her how to turn the TV on so I can get some precious sleep). That being said I have less than 20 hrs on my set and I notice zero image retention. I am still wary of letterbox broadcasting and try to limit it but as a busy dad I don't have time to babysit my TV along with working and spending time with my family after. Either way good luck, but I think you'll be okay.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM

At the risk of really showing my noobness when it comes to these displays, what the heck are the three barrel shaped doohickey's for, that were packaged in with the remote?

They have TDK on one side and numbers on the other. Two are the same size while the other one is smaller. I'm sure it's something simple but I've read all the instructions and didn't see any mention of these accessories.

I guess they're accessories?? What's that I hear?

That's right, you're laughing with me and not at me.

Sure.........

John36
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

At the risk of really showing my noobness when it comes to these displays, what the heck are the three barrel shaped doohickey's for, that were packaged in with the remote?

They have TDK on one side and numbers on the other. Two are the same size while the other one is smaller. I'm sure it's something simple but I've read all the instructions and didn't see any mention of these accessories.

Sure.........
Not sure. Please tell me that 2 of them are not batteries.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Not sure. Please tell me that 2 of them are not batteries.

Now that would be funny!

No, they're not batteries. I put the batteries in the remote as soon as I opened the package.

These are much fatter than batteries.

The side with the numbers says: Zcat 2436

I have no idea. I thought that maybe they were something for the stand but the stand is put together and these weren't needed.

They have a hole through the middle of them so maybe they are some type of wire management tools?

Life's a mystery sometimes........

John36
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you mean ferrite cores?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

Do you mean ferrite cores?

Well I had to Google "ferrite cores" and you may be right. From the pictures I saw of these ferrite cores, it sure looks like that's what they are.

Now the big question? What are they used for, and do I need to install them? Instruction book made no mention of them as far as I could tell.

Thanks

John36
Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good question.... I'm not sure where they are meant to be put, never used one myself. Have noticed they always come packaged with any new plasma that I have bought though lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

Good question.... I'm not sure where they are meant to be put, never used one myself. Have noticed they always come packaged with any new plasma that I have bought though lol.

Thanks cv,

I noticed that the HDMI cable that I used to connect the DirecTV receiver and the TV apparently has a built in ferrite core on both ends, so I probably won't need them for that cable.

The only other cable connected to the TV is the power cord and it also has a built in ferrite core on the end going into the TV.

So, apparently these are just extra icing on the cake?

I'll stash them in with the rest of my electronic items that I have no idea what they are used for. LOL!!

Thanks guys.......

John36
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Sure.........

Plasma tv's give off lots of interference, these ferrite cores should be installed on any cable connected to your plasma TV. Your neighbors and anybody using two way radio communication will thank you.

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays