post #991 of 1072 Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgolfing View Post

If a lights reflection is a problem why not just turn the light off? You can use a couple of clip on book lights to view unlit remotes and controls on other equipment, if you need to access them manually. Even a flashlight is great in a pinch. No compromise is too great for the best quality TV viewing!smile.gif

You would have to turn the brightness way down, but yes, I suppose that would be one option. tongue.gif Although one time my cat jumped up behind me during a suspenseful moment in Bioshock and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Having the lights off probably would have killed me right there. biggrin.gif

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1072 Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just watched the life of pi bluray last night and I'm just confirmed that this set is the best picture I have ever seen. Not to mention my def tech system and elemental designs sub really made this film a treat. But the picture on this set is unreal. The water looked so real. So far no IR issues, oh, one issue was that I had to turn off "rgb full" on my ps3 and set it to limited. When I watched zero dark 30, the seal team mission is dark. I couldn't see ANYTHING. So I switched that setting to limited, ran the scene back and voila all the picture information was there very nicely in might add. Best 798 I have ever spent.
post #993 of 1072 Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post

I'm loving the new anikun settings more and more. The colors are fantastic. The skin tones of the athletes are much more accurate when watching basketball or English Premier soccer. I'm not a NASCAR fan (dispite living near Daytona), but I was in awe of how great the picture looks with the new settings.

As I wrote earlier, the change in color has allowed me to alter some of my other settings. I know they aren't generally related, but I think I felt I had to have my contrast higher partially because the colors didn't quite "pop" the way I wanted them to. Now that the color is more accurate, I'm comfortable bringing my contrast down (consequently, bringing my brightness slightly up too):

Cinema mode
Contrast: +83
Brightness: +57
Color: +49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +20 (this goes back and forth)
Color Temp: Warm1
Everything else basically "off" or "auto"
Did you use the click method in the service menu?
post #994 of 1072 Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Here are some pics with anikun's settings on my 60u54[IMG]
post #995 of 1072 Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM

post #996 of 1072 Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM

post #997 of 1072 Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

my Iphone camera does the tv no justice, the actual colors are deeper.
post #998 of 1072 Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 10
Hi everybody new here. I bought a 60u54 about a month ago. Frikin love it. Hey Tk111 what are anikuns settings and where can I find them.
post #999 of 1072 Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The link to his settings and instructions on getting into and using the service menu are on page 32:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410013/the-official-panasonic-u50-54-owners-thread/930

I would highly recommend downloading the AVS HD 709 calibration disc for whatever device you'll be using. I found the contrast and brightness in his settings were pretty far off for my room, which makes sense since everyone's environment is going to be lit differently.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #1000 of 1072 Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Thanks bb
post #1001 of 1072 Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydave89 View Post

Hi everybody new here. I bought a 60u54 about a month ago. Frikin love it. Hey Tk111 what are anikuns settings and where can I find them.
number 855 in the ut50 thread
post #1002 of 1072 Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM

What is it with pannys and their connectivity with USB keys or media players through HDMI?
Will it only find the fat32 format acceptable?
Picked up a 50u50 for my parents and have had so much more trouble with getting it to recognize usbs and media players compared to another brand which is pretty much a breeze.
Very frustrating aspect to having a panny.
post #1003 of 1072 Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks TK111
post #1004 of 1072 Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM

I have a question about the U50, alright I had a repair guy come and try to fix the buzz and this other issue I was having which was a lot of noise or dithering of some sort. He said the noise was from the source content but he took tv for a week and changed out the board and tightened screws to try to fix buzz, whatever he did made it worse and I also notice a couple of other things that I didn't before and want to know if its normal, this is my first Plasma.

One thing that happens since I got it back is right when I turn tv on for a second I see a blotchy type background, its not an all black background like I remember before repair, it has some white/bluish blotchy ness that flashes on screen but only for a second whenever I first turn tv on. Is this normal or something I should be worried about? I have ben thinking about calling Panasonic anyway because the buzz is much worse than before.

Another thing I notice is it gets IR really easy now, most of it seems to go away rather quickly if I use the wiper function, but I have some that's ben on there for going on a month and not sure where it even came from. I also think I now have what people call dirty screen effect, I was thinking it was some weird IR it somehow got by the repair guys leaving something on when at their shop but after doing research it appears to me as some kind of vertical banding or DSE which I can't believe I didn't notice before repair (I guess maybe that was/is part of the noise etc I see in a lot of different material). Anyway, I was wondering if them just switching boards could have an effect on the Panel like this? The other thing they did was tightened screws, not sure where these screws are but maybe they tightened them to tight?
post #1005 of 1072 Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermeister View Post

Over at Plasma-tv-buying-guide the editors applied these settings from the Custom mode :

In Pro Settings Menu (2 pt. White Balance)
W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +5

Quoting from the editors :

Nevertheless, colors can really pop more after calibrating from the 2 point white balance menu. Phosphors in this TV are capable of putting out the same quality picture as the UT50 or the ST30 from a year ago. Ramping up the colors like we have them will decrease the lifespan of the phosphors by a few years.

I`ve scanned this thread but can`t recall anyone applying the above to the U50. If anyone has made these adjustments maybe he/she would share whether or not the picture quality was improved.
What number do you push once in the service menu to access access the 2pt w/b ?
post #1006 of 1072 Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What number do you push once in the service menu to access access the 2pt w/b ?

Sorry for my lazy post, but see my link above. That has all the instructions to get there.

post #1007 of 1072 Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

M
my Iphone camera does the tv no justice, the actual colors are deeper.

Yeah it can be a bit difficult to get a decent picture, here's one of my 50U50 showing Black Ops 2.
post #1008 of 1072 Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
I own the 60U54 as well. I applied the cinema warm seetings posted by anikun 07. I was extremely happy with the picture quality so I was thinking that I would avoid the wb adjustments in the service menu. After reading several posts on the UT50 thread that clearly explained how to maneuver in the menu, I decided to take the plunge. As long as you document your current seettings then you have no worries. The resulting improvements were worth it. Finer details in the blacks. Colors pop with richness. Tweaking is what we do. Else you would not be a member here. I say go for it!

I have jumped in feet first into calibrating my display using chromapure and an i1 display 3. The meter and software allowed me to tune my video much closer to Rec 709 , D65. settings: cinema, warm1, contrast 80, brightness 59, color 44,tint 0, sharpness 12, changed Rdrv from 99 to 8C, changed Bdrv from 38 to 3D, all other service menu RGB controls were left at default. Meter and software is definite improvement over copying settings. Plasma video looks almost as good a my Epson 8700UB.

Carada BW-115" , Epson 8700 UB
Oppo BDP-93 ,Roku 3 ,
MX-1200
Energy S10.3, Energy CB-20 ,Energy CC-10
Onkyo TX-SR 707 ,Emotiva UPA-700
ChromaPure, i1pro, i1 display 3

Last edited by nhcrew6; 08-26-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: calibrated display with i1 display 3
post #1009 of 1072 Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcrew6 View Post

I own the 60U54 as well. I applied the cinema warm seetings posted by anikun 07. I was extremely happy with the picture quality so I was thinking that I would avoid the wb adjustments in the service menu. After reading several posts on the UT50 thread that clearly explained how to maneuver in the menu, I decided to take the plunge. As long as you document your current seettings then you have no worries. The resulting improvements were worth it. Finer details in the blacks. Colors pop with richness. Tweaking is what we do. Else you would not be a member here. I say go for it!
I've already applied anikun's settings in my service menu awhile ago using the click method and it looks awesome when I used his exact settings it didn't look so good (click Method ) did you try the click method?
post #1010 of 1072 Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
I used the click method. It seems to me that everyone who posted there factory settings had nearly the same ALL cut & ALL drv settings. It looks like all TVS are calibrate using the wb adjustment parameters to drive towards the ALL cut & all drv settings. I was confident that the click method would produce results that I would like. Theory became reality. I love the 60U54 performance. Thankful for all the tips that are shared hear.smile.gif

Carada BW-115" , Epson 8700 UB
Oppo BDP-93 ,Roku 3 ,
MX-1200
Energy S10.3, Energy CB-20 ,Energy CC-10
Onkyo TX-SR 707 ,Emotiva UPA-700
ChromaPure, i1pro, i1 display 3
post #1011 of 1072 Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Got a p50u50 from Adorama in early February, and I'd say I've just crossed the 100 hour mark (everything set to 50 - first plasma and all). Everything looked and SOUNDED perfect until this week when, after plugging in my brand-new blu-ray player (also a Panasonic - a bdt-220) my beloved bargain plasma began to hum. The problem gets worse when the picture gets lighter. From reading this thread I see that others have had this problem, so I apologize for bringing this up again, but I have a slightly different take on the problem. I live in a relatively old apartment block, I rent, and let's just say I have reason to suspect the wiring might not be up to code eek.gif. I know in some cases this is caused by hysteretic energy loss in inductor/transformer coils: this kind of energy loss is dependent both on the frequency and the rate of change of the frequency of the voltage supplied. Straight high frequency is bad, but we don't have to worry about it because mains electricity is more or less frequency-regulated, and if it went off enough to cause a problem, you'd notice a lot more than transformer hum. What I do have to worry about are fluctuations in frequency, say from capacitance/inductance somewhere in the circuit, either from some appliance of mine or my neighbors' or parasitism from faulty wiring (although I suppose if you did a Fourier decomposition of the wave-packet this would be equivalent to adding in higher-frequency harmonic modes, but same difference). I happen to have bought two zero surge surge-protectors before this happened. These would filter out the frequency modulation on the line and thus in theory fix the problem. My concern comes from reading back a few posts, where someone says that he opened up his tv and found that the transformers had cracked and that this was what was causing the hum. I am worried that the transformers may have cracked and that this fix is too late.

I'll let you guys know my results, but I'm not optimistic.

If the transformers have cracked, will Panasonic be able to replace the transformers without replacing the screen? I don't want to go through aging a screen all over again (I do it naturally, by boobing out, so it takes more time than it should).
post #1012 of 1072 Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlieb View Post

Got a p50u50 from Adorama in early February, and I'd say I've just crossed the 100 hour mark (everything set to 50 - first plasma and all). Everything looked and SOUNDED perfect until this week when, after plugging in my brand-new blu-ray player (also a Panasonic - a bdt-220) my beloved bargain plasma began to hum. The problem gets worse when the picture gets lighter. From reading this thread I see that others have had this problem, so I apologize for bringing this up again, but I have a slightly different take on the problem. I live in a relatively old apartment block, I rent, and let's just say I have reason to suspect the wiring might not be up to code eek.gif. I know in some cases this is caused by hysteretic energy loss in inductor/transformer coils: this kind of energy loss is dependent both on the frequency and the rate of change of the frequency of the voltage supplied. Straight high frequency is bad, but we don't have to worry about it because mains electricity is more or less frequency-regulated, and if it went off enough to cause a problem, you'd notice a lot more than transformer hum. What I do have to worry about are fluctuations in frequency, say from capacitance/inductance somewhere in the circuit, either from some appliance of mine or my neighbors' or parasitism from faulty wiring (although I suppose if you did a Fourier decomposition of the wave-packet this would be equivalent to adding in higher-frequency harmonic modes, but same difference). I happen to have bought two zero surge surge-protectors before this happened. These would filter out the frequency modulation on the line and thus in theory fix the problem. My concern comes from reading back a few posts, where someone says that he opened up his tv and found that the transformers had cracked and that this was what was causing the hum. I am worried that the transformers may have cracked and that this fix is too late.

I'll let you guys know my results, but I'm not optimistic.

If the transformers have cracked, will Panasonic be able to replace the transformers without replacing the screen? I don't want to go through aging a screen all over again (I do it naturally, by boobing out, so it takes more time than it should).

I think the better question is WILL they fix it at all. Based on your description I think they could probably safely make the argument that a power surge or some fault in your wiring destroyed the transformers, and that type of fault would not be covered under the warranty.

post #1013 of 1072 Old 04-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Just picked up the 60" U50 from Walmart yesterday for $798. I'm loving it.
Thank's for all in this thread for making my decision easy. it was the worst looking TV on the wall & I bought anyway. Now after tweaking it looks amazing!biggrin.gif

Panasonic U50-60, Arcam AVP 700, Conrad Johnson MF 5600, Denon DVD 5900, Def Tech BP 2000 7.1
post #1014 of 1072 Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What is the PQ difference, if any, between this, and the new S60, for the 50" size? I am torn between the two, but I can pick this up for less than $650. CAD new.
post #1015 of 1072 Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 26
Regarding 30fps and judder/frame doubling....Don't LCD TVs do this as well, only it's not really noticeable because of the LCD's natural blur?

I guess it's preference for most people - at 30fps, an image might seem smoother/blurrier on an LCD, but at 60fps, the image should be crystal clear on a plasma. I tried playing some NBA 2K game on our plasma downstairs, and the lines on the court scrolled smooth as butter. On my LCD upstairs? There was some weird ghosting/stairstepping effect going on. Similarly, if you put something really slick/smooth like Rayman Origins on the screen, it's WAY more clear on the plasma. The 60fps game image quality is night and day on plasma/LCD.
post #1016 of 1072 Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

What is the PQ difference, if any, between this, and the new S60, for the 50" size? I am torn between the two, but I can pick this up for less than $650. CAD new.
The u54 and u50 have the vt50 panel without all the bells and whistles...
post #1017 of 1072 Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Perfect, thanks. Dell Canada has them on sale for 649.00 plus tax, free delivery, so I just bought one for the bedroom.
post #1018 of 1072 Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Liked: 15
Does anyone know the input lag between the U50, UT50, ST50 and S60?

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
post #1019 of 1072 Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 104
UT50 and ST50 are 40 ms. Don't have numbers for the S60 yet.
RomanBlade86 likes this.
post #1020 of 1072 Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

UT50 and ST50 are 40 ms. Don't have numbers for the S60 yet.

I wonder if the U50 has less input lag due to being a bare-bones HDTV without 3D and Smart TV. Is a 40ms input lag noticeable?

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page