The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1069 Old 11-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does Anikun07 have other service menu settings? Because I had some other ones and then I searched and came up with these and I couldn't find the other ones I have initially used. So my results posted are with using the below settings

R-Cut 70 (-16 clicks from default)
G-Cut 67 (-25 clicks from default)
B-Cut 6E (-18 clicks from default)
R-Drv F4 (-11 clicks from default)
G-Drv FF (Unchanged)(My default was EB so I tried it at that but got better results when changing it to FF, but supposedly I am not suppose to change it if using the click method since he didn't change this setting)
B-Drv 97 (+23 clicks from default)

Contrast: 81
Brightness: 66(Anikun said he has his at 48 but at that setting the black levels on my TV were way off)
Color: 47

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1069 Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Factory service menu settings and results

R 80
G 80
B 80
R FF
G EB
B 7D

Contrast: 81
Brightness: 51
Color: 47

post #1053 of 1069 Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
I use anikun's calibrated settings on my 50 and 60 u54 my contrast is at 90 bright at 60 and color at 49, looks great everything pops
post #1054 of 1069 Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 PM

My U50 went tits up tonight. Got the 8 blinks of death from the red LED. It was only 15 months old and was bought to replace a 2008 Panasonic plasma (don't remember the model) that stopped working as well. I'm officially done with Panasonic but in the mean time, I need to figure out what's wrong with this one.
post #1055 of 1069 Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Supposedly Walmart is selling the 60U50 for $628 in store. Has anyone actually seen these? I have no idea why they would all of a sudden be selling a year old model.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-Viera-U50-Series-60-Class-Plasma-1080p-600Hz-HDTV-TC-P60U50/21569912

A few posts about it here...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=237915

I've considered buying a 60" LG plasma for $600, but if they are actually selling these Pannys I'll have to go check it out. Black levels are around .005fL on these right?

Edit: CNET says .0031fL
http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-tc-p60u50/2/
post #1056 of 1069 Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Bump to see if anyone has seen one in the wild.
post #1057 of 1069 Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM

I found one at a Walmart near Raleigh. It was wrapped in plastic in the back; I was told it was getting ready to be shipped back out to a Walmart warehouse somewhere. I don't know if that means Walmart.com will be selling these stragglers or not. The price was 798, but I guess that is a pretty good deal for a 60" plasma, much less a Panasonic, even if it is their lowest level. I was really close to grabbing one of the 60in Samsung before I found this.

post #1058 of 1069 Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi guys, I am having an issue with my U54 with the HDMI. I have a Sony blu-ray player hooked up to it directly and more recently I would occasionally get flickering and snow and artifacts and then would come back to normal. Happens off and on. Well I picked up a used Marantz av8801 and now the flickering/snow is now worse and happens more often and not to the point where its says no signal. So I would disconnect from the back of the TV and then reconnect and would sometimes solve the problem for a short while. Even disconnected from back of receiver and then would resolve issue for a short time. So I decided to change ports on the back of my receiver and then stopped for awhile until I swiveled my TV and then it started acting up again. So I disconnected my the hdmi from back of my TV and reconnected and problem solved for now. Its played fine as long as I don't move the TV for the past hour. Not sure if its the TV or the Marantz. I recently took in my Marantz to an authorized service center for something entirely different and they did a firmware update and it resolved that issue but the techs never mentioned they had any issues with the hdmi handshake. I called the service center and they believe its my TV and recommended to do a firmware update. I don't see any option on the menu for a firmware update on the TV and no literature online. Anyone have had similar issue as mine? How did you resolve it? Firmware update? Any thoughts?

Thank you smile.gif
post #1059 of 1069 Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's no newer firmware for the U54 available from Panasonic. I doubt they will update it either since they no longer make plasmas.

-----------
Robert
post #1060 of 1069 Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar issue with my older panny plasma connected to a yamaha receiver, turned out it was a bad hdmi cable. Can't say for certain if that's the problem you're experiencing, but I guess it's worth a shot to try out different hdmi cables.
post #1061 of 1069 Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's what it sounds like to me. Either a bad cable or you could have a the plug that is not pushed all the way in.

-----------
Robert
post #1062 of 1069 Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post

Hi guys, I am having an issue with my U54 with the HDMI. I have a Sony blu-ray player hooked up to it directly and more recently I would occasionally get flickering and snow and artifacts and then would come back to normal. Happens off and on. Well I picked up a used Marantz av8801 and now the flickering/snow is now worse and happens more often and not to the point where its says no signal. So I would disconnect from the back of the TV and then reconnect and would sometimes solve the problem for a short while. Even disconnected from back of receiver and then would resolve issue for a short time. So I decided to change ports on the back of my receiver and then stopped for awhile until I swiveled my TV and then it started acting up again. So I disconnected my the hdmi from back of my TV and reconnected and problem solved for now. Its played fine as long as I don't move the TV for the past hour. Not sure if its the TV or the Marantz. I recently took in my Marantz to an authorized service center for something entirely different and they did a firmware update and it resolved that issue but the techs never mentioned they had any issues with the hdmi handshake. I called the service center and they believe its my TV and recommended to do a firmware update. I don't see any option on the menu for a firmware update on the TV and no literature online. Anyone have had similar issue as mine? How did you resolve it? Firmware update? Any thoughts?

Thank you smile.gif

It's not an HDMI handshake issue. As others have said, it's either the cable or the HDMI port on the TV. You can pretty safely say it's not the receiver since it was doing it before that with the blu-ray. Try a new cable in the HDMI port you've been using and if that doesn't work try the other HDMI port on the tv. That should pinpoint the issue for you.

It's also possible that both ports share a board that's going out. In that case switching ports may not help you.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #1063 of 1069 Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thank you for the reply. So I decided to connect laptop via hdmi to my tv directly and had no issues. So the I proceeded to hook my blu ray directly to my TV again and no issues this time. So I changed the monitor output on the receiver and then so far no issues. So it looks like it's my receiver. frown.gif
post #1064 of 1069 Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 PM

Liked: 0
I've been reading these posts for some time and tried some different settings and I have a question. I'm not a tecky by any stretch of the imagination but I have an old Mitsubishi dlp that's still going strong and the Panasonic seems to be less sharp and the colors not as true. I used Neo's settings on both inputs. I have a roku on one input that seems to be excellent quality. The other input that has my directv is not quite as good. Its actually considerably less sharp and the skin tones too rich. Does anyone else have any suggestions for how I can sharpen up the directv picture, or has anyone experienced a lower quality picture from their directv feed than say a blu ray or roku? The old dlp is much sharper with better skin tones and its on directv as well. The dlp has the newer genie and the panasonic is connected to an hd dvr. Thanks.
post #1065 of 1069 Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlaudmom View Post
I've been reading these posts for some time and tried some different settings and I have a question. I'm not a tecky by any stretch of the imagination but I have an old Mitsubishi dlp that's still going strong and the Panasonic seems to be less sharp and the colors not as true. I used Neo's settings on both inputs. I have a roku on one input that seems to be excellent quality. The other input that has my directv is not quite as good. Its actually considerably less sharp and the skin tones too rich. Does anyone else have any suggestions for how I can sharpen up the directv picture, or has anyone experienced a lower quality picture from their directv feed than say a blu ray or roku? The old dlp is much sharper with better skin tones and its on directv as well. The dlp has the newer genie and the panasonic is connected to an hd dvr. Thanks.
I'm going to get backlash for this, but I don't care.

Don't use anyone else's settings. Calibrate by eye.

The colors were the first thing that bothered me about this set. I know how you feel.

Put a laptop or (something which has a color gamut that you are comfortable with) up next to your plasma. Connect your plasma to the laptop through HDMI, and extend displays so you have two screens side by side. Use the Panny's DVI input so that you have 1:1 pixel mapping and set the appropriate settings in the menu so there is no stretching and turn off burn in reduction (which makes the picture fuzzy)

Open up two instances of MS Paint (or whatever the Apple cost-inducing alternative is), leave one on each screen and fill the screen with various colors, each time adjusting the RGB values of your Panny to match your laptop as close as possible.

When you get those accurate, as a final test, put up a picture on both with lots of skin tones and make any final adjustments.

Fuzzy picture is a different matter, what input are you using/what device are you outputting from,do you have any scaling enabled, etc.
post #1066 of 1069 Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I'm using hdmi input 1 for my satellite and the receiver is the hr24 500. I haven't messed with any of the satellite box settings from how it was installed. I also don't have any scaling enabled. Although I must say that last night the basketball game looked nice and sharp so i think the broadcast quality is probably what is making the difference. I guess I just didn't notice such big changes before when viewing the dlp. Most content looked pretty good while watching the same channel. However today the world cup match looks awful. So it's kind of frustrating.
post #1067 of 1069 Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Just a question if anyone is still watching this thread. I've had my tv for over a year now and love it. I'd like to try some of the different settings but I'm a little nervous about changing the service menu settings. I've heard you can really screw up your tv if you don't know what you're doing. Should I just steer clear of the service menu if I'm not overly comfortable with it?
post #1068 of 1069 Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Just a question if anyone is still watching this thread. I've had my tv for over a year now and love it. I'd like to try some of the different settings but I'm a little nervous about changing the service menu settings. I've heard you can really screw up your tv if you don't know what you're doing. Should I just steer clear of the service menu if I'm not overly comfortable with it?

You can brick it if your not real familiar. I have a 2011 st30 and read all the posts about going into the service menu. I decided to adjust the regular settings by eye, that is to my own liking, and skip the service menu. I'm happy with what I've got. If you love your tv, don't mess with it, lol.

Do you have a 60U50? I am looking at one now, is there anything you don't like about it in particular?

tvaddicted
post #1069 of 1069 Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post
You can brick it if your not real familiar. I have a 2011 st30 and read all the posts about going into the service menu. I decided to adjust the regular settings by eye, that is to my own liking, and skip the service menu. I'm happy with what I've got. If you love your tv, don't mess with it, lol.

Do you have a 60U50? I am looking at one now, is there anything you don't like about it in particular?
There's really nothing I don't like about, outside of the relatively limited picture menu. I have the 60U54, which just denotes a Sam's Club model rather than a Best Buy or Wal Mart model. I really believe that that this TV provides a PQ:$ ratio that is extremely difficult to match. During the day the TV looks great, but at night I find it nothing short of stunning, and have heard the same from others who have come over and watched it with me. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Be careful with IR for a little while though, I had a very faint H from the History Channel for a while cause I fell asleep in from of American Pickers one nigh for a few hours without the pixel orbiter on.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page