The Official Panasonic U50/54 Owners' Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1087 Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
8 blinks of death

I guess I don't have to worry about my HDMI issue any more. I was watching the SEC basketball tournament last night and all off a sudden the screen went blank and the red power indicator light started blinking. It flashes 8 times and then pauses then repeats. From my googling it seems that one of the boards or circuits is fried.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I look into getting it replaced or bite the bullet and get a new tv?. The tv is about 2.5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1087 Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This just happened to mine last night. The picture went dark with the power light blinking 8 times. I bought it august 2012 so no warranty. What did you do?

Dave

Last edited by Dave Morton; 04-30-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #1083 of 1087 Old 05-15-2015, 11:34 AM

As a follow-up, I found a local person to replace/fix my plasma for $240. I'm glad I did as I didn't want to spend $$$$$ on a new tv. It works great and hopefully this will tie things over until technology up to 4K gets better and more content is available

Dave

post #1084 of 1087 Old 05-15-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morton View Post
As a follow-up, I found a local person to replace/fix my plasma for $240. I'm glad I did as I didn't want to spend $$$$$ on a new tv. It works great and hopefully this will tie things over until technology up to 4K gets better and more content is available

What did they replace? I have the same model plasma which is 2 years old and have no problems with it currently. $240 s a good price to have it fixed. I'm not planning on replacing my set anytime soon.

-----------
Robert
post #1085 of 1087 Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM

All they told me was that there was a board in the back that needed replacement. I'm not that tech savvy so I can't say which board it was but I guess it's the common one that others here have stated. I think there is a kit I googled that you can do it yourself, but I'd rather someone do it who knows what they are doing. I'm sure I would fry something else. LOL I thought that was a good fair price as well. Hopefully you don't need it done. But as the repair guy told me, panasonic is keeping him in business.

Dave

post #1086 of 1087 Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm a bit curious, to those whose U50 took a dump, was there any sort of warning before hand? For some months now if i go to around a contrast of 85 and above, the tv gets a horrible buzzing, not just the regular plasma buzz, but it sounds like something is ready to blow up.
post #1087 of 1087 Old Today, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post
I'm a bit curious, to those whose U50 took a dump, was there any sort of warning before hand? For some months now if i go to around a contrast of 85 and above, the tv gets a horrible buzzing, not just the regular plasma buzz, but it sounds like something is ready to blow up.
Well, my TV is showing a 5 inch vertical black bar on the right hand side of the screen making it a 55 inch picture now. Not sure if it's a replaceable part fix or just a short in the ribbon cable connection problem on one of the boards. TV is on 3 years old too. I guess I'll have to join the LED smart TV club now.

-----------
Robert
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread