Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

HDMI/DVI RGB- Auto

Just for the heck of it, try setting this to "NON-STD" & see what that does?

Does the XBOX do a RGB color space of 0-255? or 16-235?

Let me know..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1076 Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've tried changing all those settings, still doing the same thing, thanks for the help though!
post #93 of 1076 Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon just dropped their price to $699 for the U50 and $799 for the UT50! Talk about bang for your buck! biggrin.gif
post #94 of 1076 Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 PM

What a great TV. Went to Costco for my price adjustment.

It has even motivated me to buy an Xbox 360... I haven't gamed in nearly half a decade (just graduated from University today actually (that's my reasoning)) so I'm stoked!
People mentioned IR & burn-in... I haven't noticed any at all on my TV.
post #95 of 1076 Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mektarus View Post

Amazon just dropped their price to $699 for the U50 and $799 for the UT50! Talk about bang for your buck! biggrin.gif

This price drop on the UT50 has me contemplating returning my U54 to Sam's and picking up the UT50 from Amazon. This is my first plasma and I've been very impressed with the picture on the U54.
post #96 of 1076 Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for great comments and advice. It made my decision to buy this TV much easier. I already have a Roku device for internet streaming and don't have any interest in 3D, so getting the best TV picture for my money at less than $1,000 was my goal. This forum made the decision a no-brainer.

For those looking for another great deal on these TVs, try your local Sears store. Costco was out of them, so I went to Sears and they have them on sale for $699 through June 15, 2012. AND, if you have a Sears charge card, you get either 18 months to pay or another 10 percent ($70) off. I chose the latter and got the TV for $629, plus tax. Took it home in my SUV so no shipping charge either. And the picture, after following the recommended calibration settings, is sweet.

BTW, I know the focus here is on picture quality, but another factor for me is product quality and reliability. Consumer Reports shows that Panasonic TVs have the best QC in terms of repairs and serious problems reported at 3 percent for Plasma TVs. LG is at 8 percent and Samsung is at 5 percent. Just another reason to like the Panasonics.

Thanks again.
post #97 of 1076 Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The U50 and UT50 are great values right now, with very good pic quality as well as good build quality.
post #98 of 1076 Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 AM

Well, I got my 50U50 a couple of days ago and I am really impressed so far. This is my first plasma (replacing a DLP) and I was really worried about glare and how the PQ would compare to our previous TV, Let me say that so far I could not be any happier. The picture is fabulous, even with brightness and contrast turned down for break-in! And, while the screen is practically a mirror, glare has not been an issue at all (maybe we're just lucky with viewing angles).

For the first 100 - 150 hours I am keeping the brightness and contrast both at 30 and I am alternating between slides and regular viewing (NO BARS!) and occasionally running the scrolling bar. I am also refraining from gaming during the break-in period.

What a great deal this TV is!! biggrin.gif

PS - can you see total viewing hours in the service menu? If so, how do you access it?

Thanks
post #99 of 1076 Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

30/30 is a bit extreme. May I ask why you're running slides? D-Nice has said, that the only benefit of running slides is to prep a TV for his calibration settings. It does NOT prevent any IR from happening long-term or short-term for that matter. I've read that, 75 contrast & 50 brightness is fine for the initial break-in if you're paranoid about things.

I'm not aware of the any place in the service menu to view total hours viewed. I would suggest staying out of the service menu, as that in itself, can VOID your warranty.
post #100 of 1076 Old 06-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

30/30 is a bit extreme. May I ask why you're running slides? D-Nice has said, that the only benefit of running slides is to prep a TV for his calibration settings. It does NOT prevent any IR from happening long-term or short-term for that matter. I've read that, 75 contrast & 50 brightness is fine for the initial break-in if you're paranoid about things.
I'm not aware of the any place in the service menu to view total hours viewed. I would suggest staying out of the service menu, as that in itself, can VOID your warranty.

Thanks for the response Lefty. This is my first plasma and I've read so much (too much?) about IR and burn-in that I am definitely paranoid. I'm trying to fast track the break-in process so I have the TV running 24/7 and I run the slides when no one is watching TV (overnight, etc.) so that I can control what is being displayed. They still count towards break-in time don't they?

As far as brightness/contrast goes, I've read 50/50 or less and I've even seen some recommend 0/0 so I settled somewhere in the middle. Even though it sounds really low it doesn't really look all the dark. Is there a benefit to having them set higher during break-in?

Thanks.
post #101 of 1076 Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Here's the video I used to break-in my U50. Just put it on a thumb drive, plug it in, & let it play during the day while you're at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4gE_Xez-fQ
post #102 of 1076 Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Hey audioman, what format did you convert the video to? I'm having trouble finding a format that the TV(U54) can play.
post #103 of 1076 Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

First of all your set will only look as good as the source you feed it, and the least processing the better. By setting content type to graphics, your cutting down processing and putting the gamma curve closer to the ideal target. You may not be adjusted to, or prefer accuracy but this puts our set closer to reference level. It's okay if you like Auto.. set it to how you see best.

Also I haven't calibrated a U50 yet, so my settings will only get you close to where you need to be. There's bound to be a variation somewhere so this is why I tell ppl to start with my settings and adjust from there. I've made it a priority to get a hold of this model, and hope to do so soon.

Hey Neo, are you still planning to calibrate a U50/54. I'm really interested to see what your setting would be.

Thanks.
post #104 of 1076 Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobapanda View Post

Hey audioman, what format did you convert the video to? I'm having trouble finding a format that the TV(U54) can play.
Are you trying to download it as an FLV file? You can get the MOV file from the link under the video description, which is where I got mine. I don't think I had to do any converting before playing it.
post #105 of 1076 Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM

I put it on my USB drive and the tv says no movies found. I tried .mov, .mp4, and .mpg and none of them can be found by the TV frown.gif Is there some sort of setting I need to change on the TV itself to be able to recognize the file?
post #106 of 1076 Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 AM

Picked mine up from Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago. Other than the first 20 seconds it took to realize that Standard mode is awful, I'm digging it so far. Excellent PQ. Pop Hugo Blu-Ray at 1080p in, sit back and be amazed.

If I had to find something to complain about, I've noticed what I only know how to describe as "jumpy" motion watching BR or playing Xbox. It's just not smooth when there's a lot of movement, almost like it's skipping refreshes or frames. Also, a couple of games had pure white text sliding across a pure black background and the text was hard to read with a lot of "jitteryness." But we're currently space limited and only sitting 10 feet from the TV... thinking that might have something to do with it? My eyes tend to see these things before others do, but I'm a graphic designer by trade so picking out image/movement issues is my day job. It's a little disappointing as I avoided LCD solely because I can't stand blurry motion and overly digital feeling picture quality. Anyone else notice this or is it just me or my set?

Even with the above, for $650, I'm super happy with it.

-Chris
post #107 of 1076 Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The U series is better than the UT? How so? The UT has a 2500 Focused field drive, while the U is just 600, plus the UT has other additional Picture features 'and' 3D.
People are saying the UT looks better than the ST50 and that's because the ST50 apperantly has that Anti Glare filter(correct me if i'm wrong)
that delivers an inferior picture.

I'm curious about input lag. People can say it's great or this and that all they want, but it's all about the measurements.
post #108 of 1076 Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth317 View Post

Picked mine up from Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago. Other than the first 20 seconds it took to realize that Standard mode is awful, I'm digging it so far. Excellent PQ. Pop Hugo Blu-Ray at 1080p in, sit back and be amazed.
If I had to find something to complain about, I've noticed what I only know how to describe as "jumpy" motion watching BR or playing Xbox. It's just not smooth when there's a lot of movement, almost like it's skipping refreshes or frames. Also, a couple of games had pure white text sliding across a pure black background and the text was hard to read with a lot of "jitteryness." But we're currently space limited and only sitting 10 feet from the TV... thinking that might have something to do with it? My eyes tend to see these things before others do, but I'm a graphic designer by trade so picking out image/movement issues is my day job. It's a little disappointing as I avoided LCD solely because I can't stand blurry motion and overly digital feeling picture quality. Anyone else notice this or is it just me or my set?
Even with the above, for $650, I'm super happy with it.

Gaurantee the jumpy/frame skipping is because you have your BR player set to 24hz instead of 60hz...Switch it to 60 and you'll be amazed by how much the problem is reduced. wink.gif As for gaming, if you're playing a title that runs in 30 frames per second
get ready for some nasty frame doubling. On LCD's it's less noticable because the lousy inherent motion blur basically hides it, but because Plasma motion handeling is miles better and closer to crt the actual
frame doubleing effect is totaly noticable...It's there when you're manouvering/spinning the camera around. 3rd and first person based titles suffer the most.
post #109 of 1076 Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I bet it's not. From the limited time I saw one it looks to be on par with my UT50s, which are on par with the ST50...which is on par with the GT/VT50 minus a few bells n' whistles, less shades of gradation, and less control of grayscale that will undoubtedly net you a better picture but not enough for the average do-it-yourself enthusiast at home.

I personally think the blacks are the same across the board no matter which first letter of the alphabet the model starts with. I've now seen the 55VT50 (could have easily bought it) in a dark room and nope sorry the anamorphic bars on my 55UT50 is every bit as dark. No matter what they claim about having a different drive, neo panel, or top secret filter in the step up models.. it's the same panel/tech that's powering the whole lineup (which matters the most for sheer light controlled impact). 2012 will go down as one of the best years for Panasonic both PQ and price wise.

note--> However I'm not positive about the panel on the U50 as I haven't seen one in a dark room, nor messed with it's settings so I can't be certain just yet.

So does having the same black levels apply to the Panny X5? and is there a difference between the new 2500 Focused field drive for the UT series
in comparison to the older 600 field drive? Or is it just marketing bs? While plasma is 'close', CRT is still the king of motion handeling
PLUS they don't produce any of that nasty dithering effect.
post #110 of 1076 Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

So does having the same black levels apply to the Panny X5? and is there a difference between the new 2500 Focused field drive for the UT series
in comparison to the older 600 field drive? Or is it just marketing bs? While plasma is 'close', CRT is still the king of motion handeling
PLUS they don't produce any of that nasty dithering effect.

The X5 is the 720p pdp right? and it too, features a G15 progressive panel right? If so, I'm confident it's just as black as the U50/54 & the UT50 pdps. B4 I purchased my U54, I went to a local retailer, and they had both the UT50 & U50 side-by-side, and it was a somewhat darkened display room. I was able to input settings I had found @ the AVS(UT50 thread) into both menus & they both looked the same. No differences, whatsoever, were evident in the content they were displaying.

As far as the 2500FFD, it seems to be more of a marketing gimmick, very few would be able to tell the difference between a pdp with 600hz sub-field-drive & the aforementioned.

Dithering seems to be not as smooth on Panasonic pdps vs Samsung models. I agree with your CRT statement. Let's see how the Super OLEDs do in that realm.
post #111 of 1076 Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

That is motion interpolation technology, it is in addition to the traditional 600hz motion technology. From what I have read it does make motion better.

The U going by the specs just does 600hz. if the UT's higher hz really does improve motion than I'm already sold on the UT,
post #112 of 1076 Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Hello,
First time poster. Just picked up a UT50. Looks great but I tried running a blu ray movie off my PS3 last night and I'm noticing 'blue lines' appear throughout the movie. Don't know if it's my PS3, or the movie itself, but it's really annoying. Does this problem have a history? I don't want to lug it back to the store if I don't have to... so any advice would be very appreciated. thanks.
Update: Just found out that the problem was imbedded with the movie Super 8. DOH!
post #113 of 1076 Old 06-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobapanda View Post

I put it on my USB drive and the tv says no movies found. I tried .mov, .mp4, and .mpg and none of them can be found by the TV frown.gif Is there some sort of setting I need to change on the TV itself to be able to recognize the file?
You were right about the TV not being able to read those formats.. I guess I used my PS3 to play the vid. If you don't have anything that can play the file for your TV, try converting it with handbrake. It's a great program to have, & you'll most likely used it again in the future if you don't already have it.
post #114 of 1076 Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Anyone know the input lag on the U50? (in milliseconds)
post #115 of 1076 Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

Anyone know the input lag on the U50? (in milliseconds)

My guess is 16ms...Which is the lowest it can get. Well hopefully it is in the U & UT's case!
I'm leaning towards the 50" UT....BUt there's still a teensy weensy chance that i'd opt for the U.
post #116 of 1076 Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
As an anniversary gift, we gave my stepsister's family a 50U50 and I'm jealous as hell. I have a 42PX80U and this looks way better to me. Also easier to calibrate. I came back later with my calibration discs and other than contrast, I only gave the TV minor adjustments here and there.

From my adjustments:

Cinema Mode
Contrast/Picture: 83 (seemed pretty darn obvious to me from both my Spears & Muncil disc and my Monster Calibration disc, which is unusual since contrast is usually hard to adjust on my TV)
Brightness: 56? I forget the exact number, but it was only one notch above it's default.
Color: 49 (again, just one notch difference)
Tint: -1

No other major adjustments.

I don't know...it may be time for me to upgrade.
post #117 of 1076 Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Ok, I've had my 50U50 for 2 weeks now and the TV's been great with a fabulous picture. However, on 4 separate occasion the screen has inexplicably just suddenly gone black. The TV appears to still be on as the red power indicator is still lit. If I turn the TV off and back on then it's fine. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I guess i'll be returning it.
post #118 of 1076 Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM

I am looking into buying either the U50 or the UT50. I really don't like 3d at all (and will probably never use it) if u can believe that, I just would rather watch 2d. Does anyone know if the UT is any better than the U other than it has 3d capability? I heard the viewing angle on the U50 is very poor, and the salesman at one the retailers told me the UT50 has a much better panel.

I will be using the tv for ps3 gaming and blu rays in a fairly dark room. When I move to my apt, I will have to buy good blinds smile.gif

I can buy the U50 for $799.99 CND, or the UT50 for $999.99 CND.

Is the UT really worth the extra $200?
post #119 of 1076 Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I went with the U50 over the UT50, because I too do not care for 3D. The viewing angles on my U50 seem to be just as good as any other plasma in my home. Not sure how much better the actual picture quality is of the UT series is over the U series though.
post #120 of 1076 Old 07-01-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

I went with the U50 over the UT50, because I too do not care for 3D. The viewing angles on my U50 seem to be just as good as any other plasma in my home. Not sure how much better the actual picture quality is of the UT series is over the U series though.

Gr8 choice, enjoy your u50!

B4 i purchased mine i was able to compare both side by side, and, imo, there wasn't any difference between the 2, pq wise.

Also, I put in a wide OAR(2.40:1) blu-ray disc, and the black bars between the 2 were indistinguishable.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread