Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1069 Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

That could possibly be the Pixel Orbiter.

Yes, the pixel orbiter shifts the whole screen right, left, up, down just a little bit from time to time. If you are adjusting "Screen Size" setting in a game, disable the pixel orbiter first, then adjust the game's screen size setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1069 Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinegts85 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "cinema" mode just a title for pre set settings? Meaning it doesn't actually change anything in a way a movie looks/plays?
For example, if I put the same contrast, brightness, color, etc settings in the "custom" section, wouldn't it be the exact same as cinema?

I got a U54 at Costco almost a month ago, as an "emergency" replacement for a Dell Plasma that died. During that time I've been playing with the settings and modes, primarily because my screen has some DSE/banding taking up most of the right side of the screen and a bit of the left side. It is only really noticeable during sports/grass/dirt panning, and low-to-mid solid backgrounds and games with sunsets (such as Red Dead Redemption).

As for settings, this is what I have observed:

Calibrating my set revealed that Cinema, Custom, and Vivid all look great, but carry enough of a difference so that they are not identical. Also, the HDMI Content Type has no effect in Cinema mode. These are my current settings on each mode after using the TV for a few weeks with Contrast at 78:

Contrast: 83
Brightness: 56 (Cinema), 60 (Custom), and 59 (Vivid) - black levels have no noise/pixel dance
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Normal (if I use a Contrast of 90 or higher, then Warm1 is easier on the eyes in a medium-to-darker room)
Color Mgmt: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

Aspect

Screen Format: Full
HD Size: 2

HDMI Settings: Nonstandard, Graphics

Advance Picture

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto

Using the AVS slides, the "Misc Patterns - Additional - Color Steps" slide demonstrates on my TV that Cinema preserves the lowest light level above black, where Custom and Vivid blacken the lowest light level above black in favor of making the rest of the image a shade brighter. Also, the "Basic Settings - APL Clipping" contains no blinking black bars when using Custom and Vivid modes.

Now, to my DSE/Banding. It has "grown" in visibility as the TV has broken in, and is most noticeable with the Contrast in the 70-80 range. Cranking the Contrast up to 100 improves this in all modes. But, on a grey background it just about goes away only in Vivid mode. Custom mode displays it slightly more, and Cinema mode displays it the most (especially when using a balanced dark-room contrast of 75-80) - which is unfortunate because I think Cinema overall delivers the best picture on my Cable TV, PS3, and Wii sources. And, I don't necessarily WANT to crank up the Contrast to 100.

There is also some slight IR with this TV, on all modes. The TV Menu's "Menu" has been visible on a few occasions, and I can get some IR to stick when using the Original theme on my PS3, and setting the background to a dark green. Selecting the "Photo Viewer" on the XMB (which displays some Polaroid-type picture images), then going back to a neutral XMB selection like "Turn Off System" will display the edges of these picture images in the dark green background. Also easily seen in this dark green background are the horizontal lines created by line bleed. I can get the IR to disappear by either using the TV's screen wipe, or by watching a few minutes of constantly-changing content on the TV. I think I've seen line bleed in actual viewing programs/movies only once so far, but I'm sure it will probably show up again.

As for the rest of the TV's performance, after almost a month of viewing, the calibrated picture is fantastic during most viewing. On all sources, the Black is really remarkable. The white-level brightness is uniform at each corner, edge, and center. There is no color blobbiness of any kind. Games are very responsive and look wonderful, even sub-HD-rendered games like Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2. In the majority of viewing and gaming, the DSE/banding is not noticeable to the viewing eye.

But with solid-color dimly-lit backgrounds, my U54 is worse-looking than some of the pictures posted in the UT50 thread and other threads, and worse than any TV or computer monitor I've owned that has been capable of displaying HD-level content. Based on some of the threads I have been reading, receiving a Panasonic Plasma that doesn't exhibit this issue can amount to a "panel lottery" for customers. And given that it could get better or worse over time, and that there are probably some people out there who will never "see" what I or others have experienced (even if it is present on their TV), I don't know if it's a lottery where there are many winners, or few.
Jckdarippr likes this.
post #183 of 1069 Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Liked: 10
I bought the Panasonic U50 a couple a months ago and am very happy with my purchase....The blacks are very inky and detail could not be better....I have It set to cinema mode with contrast at 100, sharpness at 50, brightness at 35 and black level set to lighter....The Plasma Looks great In a dark room...Dark scenes look amazing...I would not recommend this Tv In a bright room with alot of windows...
post #184 of 1069 Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 PM

plethoraHD, you just described every small flaw I could find with my set within the four months I have owned it. The banding isn't noticeable to me unless I'm watching baseball currently. I wasn't sure if it had to do with how I broke in the TV or if it's actually a flaw of the TV. I felt like I was pretty careful with it from the beginning, but this is my first plasma.

To me line bleeding is the issue I have the hardest time dealing with at this moment. Because I know it's there, I am finding it in more and more scenes. None of my friends or even my fiance can notice it, but I since I can it's driving me nuts.

I plan to tweak my settings and see if the banding does decrease with a higher contrast on my set as you stated. I personally hate dialing up the contrast too high (currently have it set at 74, with brightness at 54 on Cinema). But at least for when watching sports, I want to try to diminish the banding as much as possible.

Still overall I'm pretty happy with this TV. Great for PS3 gaming and blu-rays. I guess I can cross my fingers and hope that somehow the banding and line bleeding go away as the set ages, although it will probably just be that I get more and more used to it.
post #185 of 1069 Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM

I have NO issues with my U54! Perfect picture! Great adjustment ability, color, blacks and no IR issues,etc,

Had the VT50, GT50, Samsung 8000 and LGPN9700. The U50 gives me a competitive if not same or better picture! If you are willing to live with a 50" screen and no extra's this is the best TV on the market.

Also, I actually think the blacks are better than the GT, ST,UT , Samsung, and LG. VT50 had slightly better black level but not enough for me to justify extra $2000.

No HDTV is perfect, all competitive.
post #186 of 1069 Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes this tv does show a very nice picture, my only disappointment with it so far is the line bleed.

I have barely looked at my other tvs in the house since getting the U50. So I decided to watch the Samsung plasma a few nights ago, and whoa, I had forgot how grainy and cruddy the screen is on that plasma.

Not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the U50 seems to have improved picture quality wise after a few hundred hours of use, I was honestly not too impressed with it out of the box.

Overall this is a very nice tv for the price.
post #187 of 1069 Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

my only disappointment with it so far is the line bleed.

LB is the only drawback, but this is an issue with every pdp i've owned in the last 5 years. Previously, my LG PX950 was the worst offender. I don't notice it as much on my PN51E550. The Sammy's blacks are NOT as inky as my U54, and I would gladly deal with a li'l LB & have better overall PQ / Black levels. That's why the U54 is in our living room and the E550 plays 2nd fiddle in the family room for the kids.
post #188 of 1069 Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uecker4prez View Post

plethoraHD, you just described every small flaw I could find with my set within the four months I have owned it. The banding isn't noticeable to me unless I'm watching baseball currently. I wasn't sure if it had to do with how I broke in the TV or if it's actually a flaw of the TV. I felt like I was pretty careful with it from the beginning, but this is my first plasma.

Yeah, baseball always makes the banding show up, when the camera is in motion. I did nothing to break in the TV except watch a large variety of content with toned-down Contrast settings, all in full-screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarkrep View Post

Had the VT50, GT50, Samsung 8000 and LGPN9700. The U50 gives me a competitive if not same or better picture! If you are willing to live with a 50" screen and no extra's this is the best TV on the market.

I had originally wanted a bigger screen, like a 55", but you're right - for a 50" screen this set is in a sweet spot. Did you have all of those TVs this year, and returned them?
Quote:

Not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the U50 seems to have improved picture quality wise after a few hundred hours of use, I was honestly not too impressed with it out of the box.

I'm sort of thinking the same way, in that the overall picture has improved a bit since I've had the TV. I'm hoping that this banding doesn't get worse over time, and softens up or dissipates.
post #189 of 1069 Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Yes, I has VT50 55", GT50 50", UT50 55", Samsung 8000 51" and LG 9700 50"

I had Line bleed with Panasonics, but only on few commercial breaks or a channel or 2. Doesn't bother me, you can change aspect ratio sometimes.

I am starting to believe the cinema mode on U54 is exactly or close to the THX Cinema VT and GT50. Add brightness level on U54 and now you have THX Bright! LOL. ALL MARKETING HYPE TO GET BUYERS TO SPEND $$$.

Keep in mind that with HDTV we are at the mercy of the video production crews at sporting events, movies and cable channels. Just like how I set my D90 Nikon when taking pics. Daylight is always easier. Daytime baseball games are Awesome whereas night games will change from game to game and venue to venue.

The higher end models did not make anything better, all they did was give more options. Pretty, decorative Bezel, 8Train speakers, Louve filter?, 2500 field focus ( love that term ) Smart TV, 3D, beautiful stand, Infinite Blacks ( love that ******** ) 24,000 shades of graduation ( WTF does that really do? The VT and GT had 6144 last year and they were compared to Kuro) LOL. One sheet of glass design, Oh Boy!

U54 rocks for 50" , also feel the dimensions for me at 8-10 ft allow me to see the whole picture objectively. Love my TV. Glad I did not fall into the marketing gimmicks.

Other models that deserve attention, Low end Samsung and LG PA6500. Like the clear pic on Samsung but tint on red side and blacks weaker.

If I wanted smart and 3D i would go with UT50 or PA9700 which was nice.

Panasonic seems to have a nice balanced plasma TV vs rest.
post #190 of 1069 Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
purchased the U50 for a friend.Superb black levels.terrific picture considering the low price.Olympics are outstanding looking on this set.Did a QUICK test disc calibration and will do a fuller more time consuming one in few weeks after the set has been used for a while.
settings right now are

STANDARD

CONTRAST.......70
BRIGHTNESS... 55
COLOR...42
TINT....+ 4
SHARPNESS....50
TEMP.....NORMAL
ASPECT ...FULL....HD 1

ALL OTHER SETTINGS ARE SET TO OFF
post #191 of 1069 Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

STANDARD
CONTRAST.......70
BRIGHTNESS... 55
COLOR...42
TINT....+ 4
SHARPNESS....50
TEMP.....NORMAL
ASPECT ...FULL....HD 1
ALL OTHER SETTINGS ARE SET TO OFF

1st of all Panasonic pdps never perform well in 'STD' It's recommended to either use 'Custom' or 'Cinema' only. Also, 'Aspect 1' isn't a true 1:1 pixel mapping, as well it introduces some overscan. Aspect 2 would be the correct setting.
post #192 of 1069 Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

standard and custom looked the same with these settings.I will try the changes you suggested...thanks
post #193 of 1069 Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 AM

I have been using Cinema Mode vs Custom mode and liking the soft colors and picture for everything

Cinema mode
Contrast 78
Brightness 47
Color 42
Tint +1
Sharpness 50
Temp Normal
Aspect Full HD2
All Gimmicks OFF

Like both Custom and Cinema. I also feel Cinema on U50 is same as THX on VT 50

Love the TV and perfect size screen dimension, at 8-10 ft works great. Had the 60" and made be dizzy.

Bargain of the year!!! Coscto U54 $649 with 2 year warranty

Has anyone calibrated there set for any reason and did it really make a noticable difference. 100% happy with set out of box.
post #194 of 1069 Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarkrep View Post

I have been using Cinema Mode vs Custom mode and liking the soft colors and picture for everything
Cinema mode
Contrast 78
Brightness 47
Color 42
Tint +1
Sharpness 50
Temp Normal
Aspect Full HD2
All Gimmicks OFF
Like both Custom and Cinema. I also feel Cinema on U50 is same as THX on VT 50
Love the TV and perfect size screen dimension, at 8-10 ft works great. Had the 60" and made be dizzy.
Bargain of the year!!! Coscto U54 $649 with 2 year warranty
Has anyone calibrated there set for any reason and did it really make a noticable difference. 100% happy with set out of box.

have u tried backing off on the 'Sharpness' ? imo, looks better @ zero.
post #195 of 1069 Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

free blu ray player starting tomorrow with purchase at BB.Player is the Panny BDP87.Not highly rated because of wi fi,but a decent player for disc playback only. And it's free, so I will be bringing my friend back to BB and have them match the deal since the Tv is 3 days old and we have 60 days with my Silver RZ card for price matches or in store deals.

I agree, this tv is a STEAL.
post #196 of 1069 Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM

I just bought a set a couple of days ago and when I started calibrating it with the Spears and Munsil disc, I did not see any numbered bars in the contrast test, except only a few that were so faint I had a hard time seeing them (when they were there). I wondered if every set behave that way or if mine is defective, as I bought it in replacement of a UT50 that couldn't perform the PLUNGE low pattern and had IR issues. I don't think it is normal but I don't want to return it if every set is like mine. Thanks for your help !
post #197 of 1069 Old 08-05-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How are the black levels on the U50 in comparison to the 'UT50'?
They've got to be better than the X5's which look good in a dim room, but when the lights are all out the black bars turn to a dark grey. eek!
post #198 of 1069 Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Not sure how the black levels compare to a UT50, but on my U50, mid to high apl scenes black bars on movies blend in with the bezel, very dark scenes, I can still see the black bars glowing.
post #199 of 1069 Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM

How is gaming on the u50. Thinking of picking up this since bb has a sale going on with free player. I play mostly fps games. Is there issues with burn in. This will be wall mounted but open all around on the sides. 1 big azz window on the side for a lot of natural light. And a lamp in the rear for night time viewing.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #200 of 1069 Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 PM

I play Xbox 360 on mine, whatever lag is there I do not notice.
post #201 of 1069 Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I play Xbox 360 on mine, whatever lag is there I do not notice.

That's great that you don't notice any lag but that sort of answer doesn't exactly mean much. :P Unless you're comparing it to a lag free 480i CRT side by side.

Curious though if the U50 has lower input lag than the UT50. I think our best option is to go to some place like future shop, bring your console,
hook it up to a few different tv's, turn off the extra TV processing, and see for yourself. I've got the feel of a 16ms capable set down pat, plus 2 frames and of course know what 0ms feels like.

Really though, there's NO WAY the U50, UT50, ST50 boast better input lag results than their little brother aka the 'X5' Which is around 2 frames/32ms via component....So that's the best
the other sets can do based on what i'm guessing. Most people that play these mainstream popular analog controlled 3D games like Call of Duty, GTA and blah blah won't notice the lag as much in comparison to a D-pad controlled zippity quick controlling retro sidescroller such
as the later mega man games or even wii motion controls for example.
post #202 of 1069 Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

update..BB did a return and exchange on paper only and gave her the free Panny 87 blu ray player!
post #203 of 1069 Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Best buy has this on ad until August 11th -- P50U50 w/ FREE DMP-BD87 blueray player! 699.99 -- STEAL. Just bought it.
post #204 of 1069 Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillachance View Post

I just bought a set a couple of days ago and when I started calibrating it with the Spears and Munsil disc, I did not see any numbered bars in the contrast test, except only a few that were so faint I had a hard time seeing them (when they were there). I wondered if every set behave that way or if mine is defective, as I bought it in replacement of a UT50 that couldn't perform the PLUNGE low pattern and had IR issues. I don't think it is normal but I don't want to return it if every set is like mine. Thanks for your help !

Anyone knows if all U50 behave this way or if I have a defective unit ?
post #205 of 1069 Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Anyone knows if all U50 behave this way or if I have a defective unit ?

Are you using Cinema picture mode?
post #206 of 1069 Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM

It does the same in both custom and cinema, didn't bother to try the others as I won't be using them. I just redid the test and in cinema, I see about 3 lines at the right of the black area, and about the same for white, but I see no lines in black when I use custom mode. I also notice some banding in the middle 2 ramps in both modes.
post #207 of 1069 Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:

It does the same in both custom and cinema, didn't bother to try the others as I won't be using them. I just redid the test and in cinema, I see about 3 lines at the right of the black area, and about the same for white, but I see no lines in black when I use custom mode. I also notice some banding in the middle 2 ramps in both modes.

I haven't used Spears and Munsil yet, from looking at their website at the contrast test pattern, It looks like an APL clipping pattern, not sure if that is the one you are using or not though. If it is, you will have a hard time setting the brightness with custom mode, as it appears to have processing enabled that cannot be disabled.

I guess it is normal what you are experiencing, I have noticed the same thing, and I think a couple of other posters in this thread as well.
post #208 of 1069 Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plethoraHD View Post

I got a U54 at Costco almost a month ago, as an "emergency" replacement for a Dell Plasma that died. During that time I've been playing with the settings and modes, primarily because my screen has some DSE/banding taking up most of the right side of the screen and a bit of the left side. It is only really noticeable during sports/grass/dirt panning, and low-to-mid solid backgrounds and games with sunsets (such as Red Dead Redemption).
As for settings, this is what I have observed:
Calibrating my set revealed that Cinema, Custom, and Vivid all look great, but carry enough of a difference so that they are not identical. Also, the HDMI Content Type has no effect in Cinema mode. These are my current settings on each mode after using the TV for a few weeks with Contrast at 78:
Contrast: 83
Brightness: 56 (Cinema), 60 (Custom), and 59 (Vivid) - black levels have no noise/pixel dance
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Normal (if I use a Contrast of 90 or higher, then Warm1 is easier on the eyes in a medium-to-darker room)
Color Mgmt: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Aspect
Screen Format: Full
HD Size: 2
HDMI Settings: Nonstandard, Graphics
Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto
Using the AVS slides, the "Misc Patterns - Additional - Color Steps" slide demonstrates on my TV that Cinema preserves the lowest light level above black, where Custom and Vivid blacken the lowest light level above black in favor of making the rest of the image a shade brighter. Also, the "Basic Settings - APL Clipping" contains no blinking black bars when using Custom and Vivid modes.
Now, to my DSE/Banding. It has "grown" in visibility as the TV has broken in, and is most noticeable with the Contrast in the 70-80 range. Cranking the Contrast up to 100 improves this in all modes. But, on a grey background it just about goes away only in Vivid mode. Custom mode displays it slightly more, and Cinema mode displays it the most (especially when using a balanced dark-room contrast of 75-80) - which is unfortunate because I think Cinema overall delivers the best picture on my Cable TV, PS3, and Wii sources. And, I don't necessarily WANT to crank up the Contrast to 100.
There is also some slight IR with this TV, on all modes. The TV Menu's "Menu" has been visible on a few occasions, and I can get some IR to stick when using the Original theme on my PS3, and setting the background to a dark green. Selecting the "Photo Viewer" on the XMB (which displays some Polaroid-type picture images), then going back to a neutral XMB selection like "Turn Off System" will display the edges of these picture images in the dark green background. Also easily seen in this dark green background are the horizontal lines created by line bleed. I can get the IR to disappear by either using the TV's screen wipe, or by watching a few minutes of constantly-changing content on the TV. I think I've seen line bleed in actual viewing programs/movies only once so far, but I'm sure it will probably show up again.
As for the rest of the TV's performance, after almost a month of viewing, the calibrated picture is fantastic during most viewing. On all sources, the Black is really remarkable. The white-level brightness is uniform at each corner, edge, and center. There is no color blobbiness of any kind. Games are very responsive and look wonderful, even sub-HD-rendered games like Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2. In the majority of viewing and gaming, the DSE/banding is not noticeable to the viewing eye.
But with solid-color dimly-lit backgrounds, my U54 is worse-looking than some of the pictures posted in the UT50 thread and other threads, and worse than any TV or computer monitor I've owned that has been capable of displaying HD-level content. Based on some of the threads I have been reading, receiving a Panasonic Plasma that doesn't exhibit this issue can amount to a "panel lottery" for customers. And given that it could get better or worse over time, and that there are probably some people out there who will never "see" what I or others have experienced (even if it is present on their TV), I don't know if it's a lottery where there are many winners, or few.

Even my 50UT50 is also experiencing DSE/Banding issue same as described by you (Mainly on right side & noticeable during panning shots of lighter background & football)...This is my 2nd replacement from Amazon and all UT50 had some amount of Banding & DSE
post #209 of 1069 Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM

My U50 was delivered yesterday. I have done some adjusting of settings that have been recommended here as I'd like to break it in the right way. I watched "X-Men: First Class" on Blu-Ray with an HDMI connected PS3 via Pioneer AVR and it looked great! Nice picture! I do have a "DVE: HD Basics" calibration disc, but it seems a bit early for that yet.

Then I watched some baseball via Comast STB setup at 720p. I did notice some vertical banding on the right hand side of the screen during quick camera movements following action in the outfield. I have read some of this banding reported here.

For some reason after about 4 hours of viewing, the U50 went black. It didn't turn off as far as I could tell, the red power indicator appeared to stay on. Then after abour 5 seconds the screen showed the picture again and all was well for the rest of the night's viewing (2 additional hours). I'll have to keep my fingers crossed on this being a "break in" issue or something. The TV wasn't hot or anything but I am a bit concerned because the room lights flashed briefly but no other components, including another LED TV in the same room, misbehaved at all. I see the U50 draws about 330 watts and when I built the room, I took care to run multiple 15A & 20A circuits to distribute draw. The U50 is replacing an old Samsung DLP that was rated at 200W, so it's not that big of a difference.

I'm probably obsessing a bit. Just wanted to throw some info into this thread since it has been useful to me.
post #210 of 1069 Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM

ATSC tuner built in for free OTA HDTV programming?

What has been the experience of those of you with antennas to pick up OTA programming. using this TV?

What is the performance/quality of its built in ATSC tuner?

I shut off Comcast 2 months ago and enjoy OTA programs on my standard def SANYO. I hope this U50's pic will be a big improvement. Almost all the OTA programming comes in HD.

Thanks for your attention to this and your comments.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page