Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2157 Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Smooth View Post

Yes, in control cal, whatever settings are currently visible in the controlcal screens (either through you doing a "GET ALL" from your TV, or typing them in manually) then if you go to File->Save settings, it will save an xml file locally whereever you specify which makes it easy to archive, send,edit settings.
Similarly, when you receive or want to retrieve older settings, you go to file->Load settings and retrieve the settings and then "SEND ALL" to you display to make them active.

Here ya go!

ISF Day Settings.xml 3k .xml file ISF Night Settings.xml 3k .xml file
Attached Files
File Type: xml ISF Night Settings.xml (3.3 KB, 111 views)
mo949 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2157 Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Smooth View Post

As far as calibrations, who is recommended that is local to the SF bay area? I know d-nice travels and I PM'd him but haven't heard back. What is the rough cost of a calibration, $4-500? And do they charge by input and to calibrate extra to do 3D as well as day/night setups?
Thanks,
Brian

Brian, check out Robert Busch at Busch Home Theater... He's calibrate all that.. contact him for his pricing though I believe that's the price he is at...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #723 of 2157 Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Liked: 10
I posted this in the Owners Thread but maybe this is the better place.

Ok folks need a little bit of input. After 10 years with a Hitachi 57" rear projection HD TV (It served me quite well) I have made the switch and now the VERY Proud owner of the 65VT50. I have had it for right at about two months and just love it. I have tried several different custom set-ups and they are all much better than any of the pre-sets. I watched it on THX initially for the first month or so.

I think I "Missed" one setting and I am torn due to it. On the black level (In advanced picture) I see most everyone uses light. Mine has been set on dark. I must say I have loved the inky blacks, I mean it is black on that setting. Yesterday while watching the Avengers to see how the set "looked" I noticed a tradeoff so to speak. With it on light I can see a lot more of what is "In" the darker scenes. Take the scene where the Black Widow is being interrogated. With it on dark none of the structure of the building is evident in the dark areas. When this setting is on light it is. However when it is on the light setting the screen has the kind of look as if you have adjusted the exposure (say positive exposure compensation on a picture that was too dark) on a picture to me. I think this is just because I have had the set on the "Dark" setting and I am used to it. It does not look bad, just different I guess. In the scene where Tony and Pepper are in his penthouse after going onto the Arc Reactor on the "Dark" setting the lighter seam is not present on his shirt, but with it set on "light" the seam is. When this change is made though the screen becomes almost artificially light looking.

Also I have a Sony Google TV and I see a background shape on the home screen on "light" but do not see this on "dark". I do not have any calibration equipment nor do I see an opportunity in the near future for calibration, I am one of the many who relies on the great input from those on this forum.

Could you please provide me with your feedback on this? I have at times thought there were things I was not seeing due to the blacks being so dark. I now see that seeing into these blacks is possible, just not sure I am 100% thrilled with the way I am now seeing them. Nothing against the TV, I am in love with it and I think it is the BEST out there, and not just because I have it. Tons of research and reading here and other pro and consumer reviews lead me to it.

This set was a long time coming. We have been in our house for 4+ years and this was on the "To do list" for a long time. I finally have my 7.1 (just put in 4 in ceiling speakers) as well as a new AVR (Yamaha RX-A2010 purchased for less than 50% of retail as an open box) & this TV.

For the ones who have had the calibration done or done it yourself I would appreciate your feedback and if any of you care to experiment and give me your feedback as well I would appreciate it. I have it on light now and am trying to adjust to it.

Again even with this change the set looks awesome. To sum it up back to the Black Widow interrogation scene, when she is being tilted back in the chair, her hair is just redder on the dark setting than with it on light, which I think is a very good scene for you to experiment with.

Thank you in advance for your input and I wish each and all a very happy Holiday Season. My Holiday came a little early this year and I will be just fine watching “Ye Old Yule Log” in HD on Christmas Morning while my son is tearing up the wrapping paper!!!!!
post #724 of 2157 Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, not exactly a VT50 setting, but more of a PS3 setting: should I set the PS3 to RGB Limited or Full? The VT50 is set to AUTO so I assume it will adjust to whatever setting I make on the PS3. I've done a bunch of searching but can't find a clear answer, especially one referring directly to the VT50.
post #725 of 2157 Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird View Post

I think I "Missed" one setting and I am torn due to it. On the black level (In advanced picture) I see most everyone uses light. Mine has been set on dark. I must say I have loved the inky blacks, I mean it is black on that setting. Yesterday while watching the Avengers to see how the set "looked" I noticed a tradeoff so to speak. With it on light I can see a lot more of what is "In" the darker scenes. Take the scene where the Black Widow is being interrogated. With it on dark none of the structure of the building is evident in the dark areas. When this setting is on light it is. However when it is on the light setting the screen has the kind of look as if you have adjusted the exposure (say positive exposure compensation on a picture that was too dark) on a picture to me. I think this is just because I have had the set on the "Dark" setting and I am used to it. It does not look bad, just different I guess. In the scene where Tony and Pepper are in his penthouse after going onto the Arc Reactor on the "Dark" setting the lighter seam is not present on his shirt, but with it set on "light" the seam is. When this change is made though the screen becomes almost artificially light looking.

Light is the correct setting. With Dark, you are going to lose detail on the lowend when your display is properly calibrated.. and to properly calibrate the VT50, the setting will need to be set to Light when the Inputs/Sources are set for TV Legal Video Levels.

Use what you like but I do recommend you get/do a proper calibration so you take full advantage of what the VT50 is capable of.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #726 of 2157 Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Here's mine FWIW. This was done using an i1pro, the AVSCHD disc for patterns, and a Panasonic BDT500 for the source. Outside of IRE10 where my i1pro just seemed ineffective it's pretty darn accurate, best the TV has looked since we've had it. Unfortunately I didn't save the report after I was done. rolleyes.gif I may grab a report after the Husky game.

Edit - slightly updated file on the way.

Looky here!
post #727 of 2157 Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird View Post

Mine has been set on dark. I must say I have loved the inky blacks, I mean it is black on that setting. Yesterday while watching the Avengers to see how the set "looked" I noticed a tradeoff so to speak. With it on light I can see a lot more of what is "In" the darker scenes. Take the scene where the Black Widow is being interrogated. With it on dark none of the structure of the building is evident in the dark areas. When this setting is on light it is. However when it is on the light setting the screen has the kind of look as if you have adjusted the exposure (say positive exposure compensation on a picture that was too dark) on a picture to me. I think this is just because I have had the set on the "Dark" setting and I am used to it. It does not look bad, just different I guess. In the scene where Tony and Pepper are in his penthouse after going onto the Arc Reactor on the "Dark" setting the lighter seam is not present on his shirt, but with it set on "light" the seam is. When this change is made though the screen becomes almost artificially light looking.

This "tension" you are describing between inky blacks and shadow detail is one of the primary issues in tuning a TV. The best sets achieve both, because they have good black levels which allow you to bring up shadow detail while still maintaining the blacks. The more you can't have both, the worse the TV is. At first i liked the dark black setting on my 65VT50 because that's what I have been used to on my 2008 Panasonic. On that older set, I had no choice: either dark blacks, or an entirely washed-out screen. When I changed my VT50 to light blacks, at first my feeling was that it, too, looked washed out. But when I tried various settings posted here - I'm now using Topper McFly's settings - I realized that even though the screen looked slightly lighter on the light black setting, the blacks were still inky. This gives an overall cinematic and beautiful look, even though the colors are not *quite* as rich as with the dark black setting. It's more balanced now, because lack of shadow detail gets frustrating. Here are the settings I'm using - it's post 191 if this link doesn't go directly to that post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/180#post_22200226

These settings have the light black level but on most material I find it an excellent balance between blacks/rich colors and shadow detail.
post #728 of 2157 Old 12-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks Johnny and Turbe.

Watched it some more the last two days and like it even more.Till now whites did not look white, with this change they now do, big difference there. May try to get it calibrated in the near future. This thing continues to astound me at times. With a good quality Blu-ray it is outstanding to say the least. We are going to watch the new Borne Movie over DTV On demand now @ 1080P. I know it is not quite the same as a Blu-Ray but will still look great I am sure. To be able to sit and realize you are basically looking at the best TV out there in your own living room is nice. There are many more important things in life and many troubles for perspective, but it is a nice thing to enjoy in your own home as well. There will be few movies I will "Go" to see now. I will be quite happy to wait and watch them at home.

Yep 4K is on the way but that won't bother me a bit. cool.gif

Thanks again,

Happy Holidays
smile.gif
post #729 of 2157 Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 355
how do you calibrate GAME MODE on the VT50 ?

via service menu or can the mode be calibrated via Controlcal or Calman ?

Thanks.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #730 of 2157 Old 12-25-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

how do you calibrate GAME MODE on the VT50 ?
via service menu or can the mode be calibrated via Controlcal or Calman ?
Thanks.

Personally I don't bother. I use the same input for everything using my AVR as the HDMI switch. We're not pro gamers so we don't find the input lag noticible at all.

Looky here!
post #731 of 2157 Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 AM

From reviewing the thread, it appears that I may not be the only one who cannot get the contrast right using the Disney WOW Blu-ray (i.e., can't quite get the right graphics to disappear even with contrast at 100). What does that mean essentially? That while blacks are spectactular, it would take a fair amount of more work (i.e. a professional calibration) to get whites to appear much more closer to what they should?
post #732 of 2157 Old 12-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Personally I don't bother. I use the same input for everything using my AVR as the HDMI switch. We're not pro gamers so we don't find the input lag noticible at all.

going straight to the TV in game mode has a noticeable improvement in lag, dearly needed for FPS...

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #733 of 2157 Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

From reviewing the thread, it appears that I may not be the only one who cannot get the contrast right using the Disney WOW Blu-ray (i.e., can't quite get the right graphics to disappear even with contrast at 100). What does that mean essentially? That while blacks are spectactular, it would take a fair amount of more work (i.e. a professional calibration) to get whites to appear much more closer to what they should?

There's a thread on the Disney Wow disk that you might want to read.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #734 of 2157 Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

With more viewing after the wmwilker night setting, it is a BIG step up from other settings I tried, flesh tones look very natural. THX looks washed out and dull in comparison. I now feel very satisfied with the picture quality. My TV has about 70, maybe a bit more hours on it.
I was impressed with PQ with just the THX CINEMA mode compared to the G20 I used before, but now it is outstanding and I can see why the VT50 is rated so high!

Great to see these settings are working for others as well.

After more viewing, the flesh tones were off some. I adjusted the Red and Yellow saturation and hue. I don't own calibration equipment so just adjusted while watching a decent quality movie. I just looked at the flesh tones and adjusted back and forth through the range while looking for the most natural looking flesh tones.

I found that THX Cinema looks pretty acceptable with increased contrast to 79. I think the custom mode using Wilker's settings looks pretty close to THX Cinema with increased contrast, but more pop and possibly looks clearer.

I can see why each set would need a calibration to get the most accurate picture as others stated. Too much variation between sets, but the tweaked Wilker's custom settings I used get close, I think.

If I feel the need, I might get a disc and see what improvements (or not) I can make.
post #735 of 2157 Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Todd

A disc by itself won't help you adjust the settings that'll correct fleshtones.

Save your money.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #736 of 2157 Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Todd
A disc by itself won't help you adjust the settings that'll correct fleshtones.
Save your money.

Thanks, I am new at this, not even sure I used the right settings to adjust the flesh tones. The ones I changed worked though to my eyes. There are so many adjustments on this set compared to my G20, it is a bit to learn. When I get bored, I might try and learn a little about calibration.

Happy Holidays!
post #737 of 2157 Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM

Also, with my custom settings the blacks are darker than my THX Cinema settings, but a little less detail. The Blacks look very good in both modes, but I am guessing could be dialed in a little better. Maybe a better balance of darkness and detail. Don't have a clue how to achieve that though.

Edit; Watching a dark movie "Van Helsing" to judge blacks, I changed the gamma from 2.4 to 2.2 and got more detail in the blacks but too bright on bright seens. Anyway, I think I'll leave it alone for a while.
post #738 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 AM

Has DNice posted his settings yet?
post #739 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No, he hasn't.

post #740 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Hey guys, we just took delivery of the VT 65" set and will be firing it up shortly. I wilk eventually be calibrating the set with ChromaPure and my display 3 pro, but until then was just going to set basic contrast, brightness and sharpness with the AVS 709 disc and use the OOTB settings otherwise. My question is what is the best out of box setting for cable/sports and/or movies? This set will mainly be used for sports/cable, but also some blu ray here and there.

Thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #741 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledesma53 View Post

better link : http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv smile.gif

How do these settings stack up against those on page 1?

Short of hiring a calibrator what seems to be the consensus as to who has the best overall 2D and 3D settings?
post #742 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hey guys, we just took delivery of the VT 65" set and will be firing it up shortly. I wilk eventually be calibrating the set with ChromaPure and my display 3 pro, but until then was just going to set basic contrast, brightness and sharpness with the AVS 709 disc and use the OOTB settings otherwise. My question is what is the best out of box setting for cable/sports and/or movies? This set will mainly be used for sports/cable, but also some blu ray here and there.
Thanks!

THX Bright room is a pretty solid all around OOTB setting.

Looky here!
post #743 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

THX Bright room is a pretty solid all around OOTB setting.

Thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #744 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

How do these settings stack up against those on page 1?
Short of hiring a calibrator what seems to be the consensus as to who has the best overall 2D and 3D settings?

Now wouldn't life be easier if there was a single set of settings that everyone agreed are the best?

Unfortunately, there isn't.

Production line variations and variations in personal preference makes it impossible for a single set of settings to please everyone.

post #745 of 2157 Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Now wouldn't life be easier if there was a single set of settings that everyone agreed are the best?
Unfortunately, there isn't.
Production line variations and variations in personal preference makes it impossible for a single set of settings to please everyone.

Sure would, this post might have stopped at page 2. biggrin.gif

That being said, I was not asking for a single set of settings that pleased "everyone," but rather inquiring as to whether or not there are settings that have satisfied the majority or at least a large user subset. Presumably enough owners have tried the varoius setting recommendations mentioned in this post to have formed an opinion, no?
post #746 of 2157 Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

That being said, I was not asking for a single set of settings that pleased "everyone," but rather inquiring as to whether or not there are settings that have satisfied the majority or at least a large user subset. Presumably enough owners have tried the varoius setting recommendations mentioned in this post to have formed an opinion, no?

I've had several members PM me stating they like my settings. They are by no means perfect but I'm pretty happy with my ISF Night settings. My ISF Day settings have some significant flaws but I hope to get back in and re-calibrate soon. Just be aware that production differences mean that some settings won't work on some sets.
I now have over 1500 hours on my set so I need to change some settings. I plan to try the 2.2 Gamma as SillySally suggested and I hope it gives me a little more shadow detail. I will post the new settings when I can take the time to re-calibrate. I also hope to try my hand at 3D calibration and if I can get decent results I'll post those settings too.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year

Mike

post #747 of 2157 Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 AM

Someone should sticky wmwilker's day/night, 2D/3D settings at the start of this thread.
post #748 of 2157 Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Online, who has posted settings?

I'm think CNet and other online services.

post #749 of 2157 Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 AM

Liked: 74
Quote:

You can try mine as well for ISF Day and Night from post #718. A few other members have PM'd me here and on other forums happy with my setting's on there display.smile.gif
post #750 of 2157 Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page