post #1081 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Oh...didn't realize you had ISF's activated or I would have suggested the same. I often load new settings to custom to compare with my calibrated settings in ISF Day and Night.

I need some help here so I can be sure I'm not imagining things. I seem to remeber seeing an ISF Day/Night settings path in the menu when I first got the TV...now they're gone. I can't find them. Was I imagining that I saw a path for ISF at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

So last night I did a side by side comparison of D-Nice's settings to Robnix's with my wife in attendance. D-Nice's were an improvement that was noticeable to both of us so it is also our new settings as well. It wasn't a huge improvement but a noticeable improvement nonetheless, so kudos Robnix, you can 'hang' with one of the big guys on campus =]

LOL! Thanks :-) I tried them out as well and really like them He gets the bottom end right which I just don't have the equipment for. I haven't done a side by side yet but plan to once I get some free time. Been traveling a bunch lately.

Looky here!
post #1083 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^

Never mind guys. It took some searching but it looks like I imagined seeing the modes:

"In most respects, the THXcertified TC-P65VT50 is similar to other recent Panasonic sets we’ve reviewed. There are seven normal Picture modes plus two ISF modes, ISF Day and ISF Night. Out of the box, the ISF modes are hidden, but they can be opened, set up, and, if desired, locked by a trained calibrator. Calibrators can also set up the VT series using a dedicated computer program. Different settings can be entered for each input in a given Picture mode, and for both 2D and 3D as well. There are two THX modes for 2D, but just one for 3D: THX 3D Cinema."
post #1084 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Finally getting mine calibrated this Sunday by d-nice! Should be interesting how his posted custom settings measure before the calibration.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #1085 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post

Did the picture seem any brighter with D-Nice's when comparing the two? That was the main difference that I could see, D-Nice does use quite a bit more contrast though so that might be what I was noticing. My daughter was watching planet earth afterwards and commented about how 'cool' it looked so I sat and watched some of it with her. Man the colors looked so natural with excellent deep blacks. Nothing looked over saturated but the colors blended very well.

I was always impressed with robnix's colors, they too looked very well with nothing over done but just smooth natural colors. smile.gif

Its really hard to nail down and like I said the improvement is marginal, but obvious. It certainly feels brighter, but when I switch back and forth I don't see any actual brightness diff. I do see a difference in contrast and it seems to have 'more' color and contrast. Things light sunlight look a bit more natural. I seem to notice more greens and yellows - in a good way. There's definitely something different about the blacks - maybe a bit more brightness. As someone else above said I think the black transitions are smoother.

One thing is for sure, from out of the box to now is a monumental change - and I was happy out of the box
biggrin.gif
Thanks Robnix and D-nice
post #1086 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Maybe his 10 point gamma adjustments make for a smoother transition out of black. I certainly see more shadow detail. Everything just seems smoother and more natural.

post #1087 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an appointment with BB calibration. I'm thinking of cancelling it and getting D-nice or someone to come out. I'd be willing to give the BB guy a try just for the heck of it (if I can undo what they've done) but I've been warned not to let them in the service menu. Don't they have to go in there to access ISFccc?
post #1088 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

There is no need to go into the service menu to calibrate. ISF modes are unlocked by software.

post #1089 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

Thank you.
post #1090 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Finally getting mine calibrated this Sunday by d-nice! Should be interesting how his posted custom settings measure before the calibration.

That would be a great data point biggrin.gif
post #1091 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

I have an appointment with BB calibration. I'm thinking of cancelling it and getting D-nice or someone to come out. I'd be willing to give the BB guy a try just for the heck of it (if I can undo what they've done) but I've been warned not to let them in the service menu. Don't they have to go in there to access ISFccc?

don't go best buy. too hit and miss and much better to get one of the highly recommended folks here to come out and do it for you. i always prefer the peace of mind of having a professional do it.
post #1092 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB173 View Post

don't go best buy. too hit and miss and much better to get one of the highly recommended folks here to come out and do it for you. i always prefer the peace of mind of having a professional do it.
I'd highly recommend Jeff Meier :http://www.accucalhd.com/pricing.htm Give him a call, he's really nice to talk to and gives free advice too. He's top rated in the industry and is on all our forums.wink.gif
post #1093 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
I am getting a 65vt50 delivered this afternoon. This is my new first tv in over 20 years and my first flat panel. I would like to use the recommended settings and proper procedure before applying the settings. I would like to apply the recommended slideshow but do not know how (I apologize for trying to avoid reading all 60 pages on the thread). I do not have a player yet but could I load the slideshow unto a thumbdrive and inserted it to the USB port on the tv (if it has one)? And if this can done, how do you cycle the slideshow for recommended hours?
post #1094 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_podleski View Post

I am getting a 65vt50 delivered this afternoon. This is my new first tv in over 20 years and my first flat panel. I would like to use the recommended settings and proper procedure before applying the settings. I would like to apply the recommended slideshow but do not know how (I apologize for trying to avoid reading all 60 pages on the thread). I do not have a player yet but could I load the slideshow unto a thumbdrive and inserted it to the USB port on the tv (if it has one)? And if this can done, how do you cycle the slideshow for recommended hours?
Congrats on your choice. Yes, the TV has both a USB and SD/MMC port. And thumb drives do work with it. I purchased my VT50 in September and it still hasn't been mounted yet. I'm still waiting on my construction guys to finish up. If I had known about that much of a delay, I would have waited for the ZT60.

When you have your TV up and running, pleas check the bottom left area of the glass and tell me if you see anything wrong there. There have been a few posts about the TC-P65VT50 that there were hand prints on the inside of the glass down there. Doesn't effect picture quality but can be annoying that it's there for some people. I know it would drive me crazy. The person that reported that hand print returned their TV for an identical replacement and according to them, the replacement TV had the same finger prints behind the glass in the same location. So, I'm hoping I don't have that problem and I hope you don't have that problem either. Please check and thanks in advance.wink.gif
post #1095 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Cigarjohn47

Thanks for the quick reply. When I play the slideshow, is there an option to cycle endlessly (at least 100hrs)?

Hopefully I won't see that new handprint "trademark" :-)
post #1096 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure about that. I'm sure if you contact Panasonic, they would be able to tell you. They have a toll free number. smile.gif
post #1097 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

One thing is for sure, from out of the box to now is a monumental change - and I was happy out of the box
biggrin.gif
Thanks Robnix and D-nice

Ain't that the truth! lol

I honestly didn't believe I could download settings for free that would make much difference over the standard ones. Boy was I wrong, I couldn't believe it the first time I tried robnix's settings... it was like getting a whole new tv again within a months time. biggrin.gif
post #1098 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Looking for feedback, and perhaps some editorial commentary.

I'm now almost 2 weeks into my new 65VT50 ownership being "installed and operational", so far watching almost nothing except HDTV. After some initial comparison of 1st-time setup STANDARD picture mode to the other modes available, I quickly settled on CUSTOM (as preset by Panny at the factory to be essentially flat-0 color) as what I clearly preferred. Coming from a Sony 34XBR960 (also set to PRO for "flat" everything, ready for "tweaks") the overall color, brightness, contrast, etc. of "factory CUSTOM" on the 65VT50 looked almost "perfect" to my eyes, although I did make just a few minor adjustments (e.g. reducing SHARPNESS, turning off "motion smoother" and "noise reduction", etc.).

I have an ISF calibration scheduled for Feb 15, but for now I'm still just playing around on my own. I've purchased ControlCAL to have the additional two ISF presets available for use, at least to try settings setups of others on this thread to decide what I might like or prefer more than something else... and certainly to compare it to CUSTOM (slightly tweaked from Panny factory preset, but very little).

I have explored watching some 2D BluRay movies I'm very familiar with from watching on the XBR960 (e.g. "Toy Story 3") and it's stunning. Of course the XBR960/CRT is limited to 1080i, whereas the 65VT60 is 1080p/24... and also significantly larger screen size. The visual difference is substantial. I'm definitely "at the movies" now.

I've never seen home 3D before but with the 65VT50 I've now sampled "Up (3D)" and it seemed a bit dark to me ("3D THX Cinema" picture mode setting) but that may be from the Panny Real3D glasses. Or, maybe it's just the nature of home 3D, or "Up". I also have "Brave" and "Avatar" in 3D to try, so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. Anyway for the moment I'm not at all concerned about 3D. And in 2D, 1080p/24 (from my Oppo BDP-103) looks astounding on the 65VT50.

99.9% of my viewing is HDTV from my HTPC, via Linksys DMA2100 Windows Media Center Extender. Cable channels are from TWC/LA, and network channels are from OTA/ATSC roof antenna (which provides superior picture quality to TWC's re-compressed delivery of those local networks). Source 720p/1080i is being passed HDMI from the DMA2100 through the external HDMI input of an Oppo BDP-103 where it is upconverted to 1080p, and then on through HDMI-1 output from the 103 to a Yamaha RX-V867 for video HDMI delivery to the 65VT50.

So the BDP-103 is my sole source device, both for movies (from the player itself) as well as for HDTV (passed through from my DMA2100 via external HDMI input to the 103). And it delivers 1080p to the 65VT50 through the RX-V867.

I've now watched a fair amount of assorted HDTV (film, tape/live, 720p, 1080i) on the 65VT50, including numerous recordings from the London Olympics on NBC, whose indoor/outdoor venues were lit to perfection and provided amazingly real-looking HDTV images, with perfect colors and perfect skin tone... as shown on my XBR960 originally. I have to say I'm amazed at how the 65VT50 renders these same images... because it is just like the "almost 3D-like" image on the XBR960. There is essentially zero off-angle fall off of brightness on the 65VT60/plasma (just as there is not on the XBR960/CRT), something which is of course horrible on LCD/LED sets I've seen. This is hugely important to me and makes the 65VT50 just a stunning successor to my "HDTV reference" 960.

Ok. Enough well-deserved accolades for the 65VT50. It is simply remarkable, and I obviously made the best possible choice as the successor to my 9-year old 34XBR960. I'm in love.

However...

I just cannot seem to accept the look of the image when I try the various assorted settings of others which have been posted here, including the recently posted D-Nice setup. I suspect it's probably a matter of just getting used to how they look, but at the moment I cannot.

These other settings setups all look to me to be much too "jaundiced", with skin tone much too red/yellow. Seems too dark as well.

I'm sure this is primarily from the color temperature selected in these other setups, which is either STANDARD, WARM 1 or WARM 2. I personally never cared for this "color bias" on my XBR960 either, and I don't care for how it looks on the 65VT50. I much prefer to start from COOL 1. I just like the blue-white appearance, as I also do on my computer monitors which I have set to 9300K.

Is this just me? Am I going to have to learn to accept the "other look"? Is that what my ISF calibration will produce?? If so there will certainly be plenty of discussion at that time.

Is that really intended for watching movies, and if you watch "live" HDTV (like Olympics swimming pool coverage and indoor volleyball coverage, Super Bowl, etc). that the CUSTOM + COOL 1 color on the 65VT50 is simply much more comfortable and human-like and like "window onto the real world" as my XBR960 has been?

Note that I have no day/night or windows and bright sunlight issues in my room. I watch essentially always in the dark. Certainly that's how I prefer to do any serious watching, but even in the daytime the location of windows and outside day light is essentially a non-problem for both my XBR960 and now 65VT50 (both of which are in the same room). No sunlight on either screen, no ambient lamp issues reflecting, etc. Essentially this is an all-night setup, so color and brightness/contrast is always ideal.

For the sake of discussion here, the Panny factory-provided CUSTOM preset has ZERO color adjustments. It is absolutely FLAT-0 for all CMS and other WB, 10-pt WB, and 10-pt Gamma settings.

Panny factory CUSTOM does have a few non-0 non-OFF slightly "biased" values in Advanced Picture and Pro Settings (see below), but I still much prefer this CUSTOM "flat-0 color" + COOL1 against any of the other three user-contributed setups I've seen, all of which have significant changes to all of the color tweaks and use STANDARD or WARM 1 or WARM 2 color temperature.

So, is it just me? Why does everybody rave about what to me seems like "red push" (non-realistic skin tone)?

Look at the "Panny CUSTOM setup" shown below (again, with ALL other individually adjustable WB and color-related Pro settings still at 0) which is what I'm currently using. I suspect I may feel differently after my ISF calibration gets done, but note that I've made very few changes from Panny factory CUSTOM preset as initially delivered.

In particular, what obviously distinguishes the whole CUSTOM color-appearance and brightness/contrast of this on my 65VT50 from the color-appearance of other users' settings is due to my going to COOL 1 temperature, along with Panny factory values of (a) gamma 2.2, (b) black extension +5, (c) contour emphasis ON, and (d) AGC +7... along with the fact that ALL OTHER CMS AND INDIVIDUAL COLOR-TWEAKS ARE SET AT 0 with Panny CUSTOM as delivered!

Am I alone here??

PICTURE
=====================
PICTURE MODE: STANDARD -> CUSTOM
CONTRAST: +100
BRIGHTNESS: +50
COLOR: +50
TINT: +0
SHARPNESS: 50 -> 20
COLOR TEMP: NORMAL -> COOL1
CATS: OFF
VIDEO NR: WEAK -> OFF

PRO SETTINGS
=====================
BLACK EXTENSION: +5
GAMMA: 2.2
PANEL BRIGHTNESS: MID
CONTOUR EMPHASIS: ON
AGC: +7

ADVANCED PICTURE
=====================
BLOCK NR: OFF
MOSQUITO NR: OFF
MOTION SMOOTHER: WEAK -> OFF
BLACK LEVEL: LIGHT
3:2 PULLDOWN: AUTO
post #1099 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Cigarjohn47

Thanks for the quick reply. When I play the slideshow, is there an option to cycle endlessly (at least 100hrs)?

Hopefully I won't see that new handprint "trademark" :-)

When you access the SD card via the Panny menu and then hit the red button for slideshow the slideshow settings will come up. Make sure the slideshow is set to repeat and the speed is slow. It will go until you stop it.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #1100 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I'm now almost 2 weeks into my new 65VT50 ownership being "installed and operational", so far watching almost nothing except HDTV. After some initial comparison of 1st-time setup STANDARD picture mode to the other modes available, I quickly settled on CUSTOM (as preset by Panny at the factory to be essentially flat-0 color) as what I clearly preferred. Coming from a Sony 34XBR960 (also set to PRO for "flat" everything, ready for "tweaks") the overall color, brightness, contrast, etc. of "factory CUSTOM" on the 65VT50 looked almost "perfect" to my eyes, although I did make just a few minor adjustments (e.g. reducing SHARPNESS, turning off "motion smoother" and "noise reduction", etc.).

I have an ISF calibration scheduled for Feb 15, but for now I'm still just playing around on my own. I've purchased ControlCAL to have the additional two ISF presets available for use, at least to try settings setups of others on this thread to decide what I might like or prefer more than something else... and certainly to compare it to CUSTOM (slightly tweaked from Panny factory preset, but very little).

I have explored watching some 2D BluRay movies I'm very familiar with from watching on the XBR960 (e.g. "Toy Story 3") and it's stunning. Of course the XBR960/CRT is limited to 1080i, whereas the 65VT60 is 1080p/24... and also significantly larger screen size. The visual difference is substantial. I'm definitely "at the movies" now.

I've never seen home 3D before but with the 65VT50 I've now sampled "Up (3D)" and it seemed a bit dark to me ("3D THX Cinema" picture mode setting) but that may be from the Panny Real3D glasses. Or, maybe it's just the nature of home 3D, or "Up". I also have "Brave" and "Avatar" in 3D to try, so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. Anyway for the moment I'm not at all concerned about 3D. And in 2D, 1080p/24 (from my Oppo BDP-103) looks astounding on the 65VT50.

99.9% of my viewing is HDTV from my HTPC, via Linksys DMA2100 Windows Media Center Extender. Cable channels are from TWC/LA, and network channels are from OTA/ATSC roof antenna (which provides superior picture quality to TWC's re-compressed delivery of those local networks). Source 720p/1080i is being passed HDMI from the DMA2100 through the external HDMI input of an Oppo BDP-103 where it is upconverted to 1080p, and then on through HDMI-1 output from the 103 to a Yamaha RX-V867 for video HDMI delivery to the 65VT50.

So the BDP-103 is my sole source device, both for movies (from the player itself) as well as for HDTV (passed through from my DMA2100 via external HDMI input to the 103). And it delivers 1080p to the 65VT50 through the RX-V867.

I've now watched a fair amount of assorted HDTV (film, tape/live, 720p, 1080i) on the 65VT50, including numerous recordings from the London Olympics on NBC, whose indoor/outdoor venues were lit to perfection and provided amazingly real-looking HDTV images, with perfect colors and perfect skin tone... as shown on my XBR960 originally. I have to say I'm amazed at how the 65VT50 renders these same images... because it is just like the "almost 3D-like" image on the XBR960. There is essentially zero off-angle fall off of brightness on the 65VT60/plasma (just as there is not on the XBR960/CRT), something which is of course horrible on LCD/LED sets I've seen. This is hugely important to me and makes the 65VT50 just a stunning successor to my "HDTV reference" 960.

Ok. Enough well-deserved accolades for the 65VT50. It is simply remarkable, and I obviously made the best possible choice as the successor to my 9-year old 34XBR960. I'm in love.

However...

I just cannot seem to accept the look of the image when I try the various assorted settings of others which have been posted here, including the recently posted D-Nice setup. I suspect it's probably a matter of just getting used to how they look, but at the moment I cannot.

These other settings setups all look to me to be much too "jaundiced", with skin tone much too red/yellow. Seems too dark as well.

I'm sure this is primarily from the color temperature selected in these other setups, which is either STANDARD, WARM 1 or WARM 2. I personally never cared for this "color bias" on my XBR960 either, and I don't care for how it looks on the 65VT50. I much prefer to start from COOL 1. I just like the blue-white appearance, as I also do on my computer monitors which I have set to 9300K.

Is this just me? Am I going to have to learn to accept the "other look"? Is that what my ISF calibration will produce?? If so there will certainly be plenty of discussion at that time.

Is that really intended for watching movies, and if you watch "live" HDTV (like Olympics swimming pool coverage and indoor volleyball coverage, Super Bowl, etc). that the CUSTOM + COOL 1 color on the 65VT50 is simply much more comfortable and human-like and like "window onto the real world" as my XBR960 has been?

Note that I have no day/night or windows and bright sunlight issues in my room. I watch essentially always in the dark. Certainly that's how I prefer to do any serious watching, but even in the daytime the location of windows and outside day light is essentially a non-problem for both my XBR960 and now 65VT50 (both of which are in the same room). No sunlight on either screen, no ambient lamp issues reflecting, etc. Essentially this is an all-night setup, so color and brightness/contrast is always ideal.

For the sake of discussion here, the Panny factory-provided CUSTOM preset has ZERO color adjustments. It is absolutely FLAT-0 for all CMS and other WB, 10-pt WB, and 10-pt Gamma settings.

Panny factory CUSTOM does have a few non-0 non-OFF slightly "biased" values in Advanced Picture and Pro Settings (see below), but I still much prefer this CUSTOM "flat-0 color" + COOL1 against any of the other three user-contributed setups I've seen, all of which have significant changes to all of the color tweaks and use STANDARD or WARM 1 or WARM 2 color temperature.

So, is it just me? Why does everybody rave about what to me seems like "red push" (non-realistic skin tone)?

Look at the "Panny CUSTOM setup" shown below (again, with ALL other individually adjustable WB and color-related Pro settings still at 0) which is what I'm currently using. I suspect I may feel differently after my ISF calibration gets done, but note that I've made very few changes from Panny factory CUSTOM preset as initially delivered.

In particular, what obviously distinguishes the whole CUSTOM color-appearance and brightness/contrast of this on my 65VT50 from the color-appearance of other users' settings is due to my going to COOL 1 temperature, along with Panny factory values of (a) gamma 2.2, (b) black extension +5, (c) contour emphasis ON, and (d) AGC +7... along with the fact that ALL OTHER CMS AND INDIVIDUAL COLOR-TWEAKS ARE SET AT 0 with Panny CUSTOM as delivered!

Am I alone here??

PICTURE
=====================

PRO SETTINGS
=====================

ADVANCED PICTURE
=====================
That ISF calibration will make a big difference. I'm scheduled for late June for mine and since the calibrator is going to calibrate my TV and will have all his equipment with him, he's going to calibrate my audio gear too for an extra $100.00. Until then, I'll be trying other peoples settings.
post #1101 of 2157 Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However...

Am I alone here??

PICTURE
=====================

PRO SETTINGS
=====================

ADVANCED PICTURE
=====================

You've got some unusual settings there. Gamma 2.2, AGC +7, Black Extension +5, Sharpness 20. Hmmmm....

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #1102 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Am I alone here??

PICTURE
=====================

PRO SETTINGS
=====================

ADVANCED PICTURE
=====================

If you are using Blu Ray then turn off all enhancements. Sharpness at 0, lower your contrast if you have controlled lighting, use warm 1 or natural/normal.

I don't know about how you are running your signal, but I did find that even running my video/audio signal through my Yamaha YSP 2200 hurt my PQ. So i simply use a HDMI switch, run my Oppo (HDMI port1 video only) to my Radiance then out to my VT50, I use the HDMI port 2 for audio to my switch and then out to my Realiser or YSP 2200.
All my Calibrated settings are stored in and processed by my Lumagen Radiance, so all video goes through my Radiance, be it from cable box or BDP-95.

No you don't have to settle for less than acceptable levels of video, the VT50 is capable of giving those levels properly set-up. Of-course its not going to change what the signal is from your source video, so if flesh tones are bad then that's what you are going to see..

If I where you I would talk to Jeff about what he is going to do for a 3D (stereo) calibration.

ss
post #1103 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

You've got some unusual settings there. Gamma 2.2, AGC +7, Black Extension +5, Sharpness 20. Hmmmm....
Other than my reducing Sharpness from factory-set 50 down to 20 (I tried going all the way down to 0 at first but it looked like it actually was blurring so I pushed it back up a bit to 20 at least for now, rather than just eliminating all edge-enhancement since it didn't look good... and I have my Sony XBR960 Sharpness set to 0 so I know what this setting does), all the other values are absolutely Panny factory-installed preset values, unchanged by me. That's what CUSTOM contained when I went to it.

These are the same values as ControlCAL initially shows when you launch it, as they are the 65VT50 defaults in CUSTOM.
post #1104 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Other than my reducing Sharpness from factory-set 50 down to 20 (I tried going all the way down to 0 at first but it looked like it actually was blurring so I pushed it back up a bit to 20 at least for now, rather than just eliminating all edge-enhancement since it didn't look good... and I have my Sony XBR960 Sharpness set to 0 so I know what this setting does), all the other values are absolutely Panny factory-installed preset values, unchanged by me. That's what CUSTOM contained when I went to it.

These are the same values as ControlCAL initially shows when you launch it, as they are the 65VT50 defaults in CUSTOM.

Regarding sharpness and for what it's worth, Chad says he found a setting of 14 to be optimal across all VT50s.

post #1105 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess the main thing is that this looks optimal to you. I think I started messing with Custom from the beginning and then I was afraid to "reset to defaults" thinking that would reset all of my modes. I'd like to try the default custom settings now that I've had the set for a while. Can't wait to see how your calibration comes out!

My current SACD list
post #1106 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:

When you access the SD card via the Panny menu and then hit the red button for slideshow the slideshow settings will come up. Make sure the slideshow is set to repeat and the speed is slow. It will go until you stop it.

Scirica

Thanks for the info. Will this menu also appear when I attach a thumbdrive?
post #1107 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Regarding sharpness and for what it's worth, Chad says he found a setting of 14 to be optimal across all VT50s.

An interesting thing on the sharpness control; on the video essentials disc there is a pattern called clock and phase, I think. You can see a change in the pattern with every single click of the sharpness control. I have no idea what it's supposed to look like and I will see what d-nice says this Sunday, even though his settings show sharpness set to 0.

post #1108 of 2157 Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Scirica

Thanks for the info. Will this menu also appear when I attach a thumbdrive?

Yes...I actually use a USB drive. Not sure why I even said SD card!

My current SACD list
post #1109 of 2157 Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Anybody have a contact for the best calibrator in Toronto? These yellow or grey whites are killing me with this set. The only glimpse of Overall beauty was with Topper's Rev E settings set to Warm 1 but only on some content. I want to watch the Leafs lose every home game they play at least on somewhat white ice! When I read that D-Nice had posted his settings I was excited but after entering them, not so much.
post #1110 of 2157 Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Scirica - had a question about Kevin Miller's trip to your place. Did he talk about motion handling and what the best settings would be? Did he set it to 1080/24p 60hz/96hz or have you output 1080/60p?

I just was watching the opening to Sahara last night in 1080/24p 96hz and the whole scene came undone and all the pictures on the walls had the people inside look like they were shaking to death lol.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page