1Likes

post #1531 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

You should not want the brighter than white stars to be invisible. You only want the blacker than black stars invisible. Please refer to the instructions that come with the WOW disc to understand how to use the patterns on that disc.

Thanks, the audio instructions on the disc weren't as clear to me. I referred to the booklet and it was much more clear about this.

I'm still confused as to why the overall screen brightness gets darker when more bright is on the screen, though. For example I'm playing "Bit.Trip Runner 2" on my Wii U. It is a very bright and colorful game, and looked so on my LCD. now playing on the VT50, it looks dull. When I pause the game and the dark pause menu covers the right half of the screen, the visible part of the game to the left becomes bright, as it should be. Same goes if I press Menu on the TV remote which covers the left half of the screen. How can I get this level of brightness when the whole screen is bright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM

I can't seem to find out if the Xpand X105BT glasses have rechargable batteries?
post #1533 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBaragona View Post

I can't seem to find out if the Xpand X105BT glasses have rechargable batteries?
Yes, they do.
post #1534 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

You can adjust by varying luminance with the 2p and 10p GS controls - takes a meter though....
I got controlCal,
Not messing with a meter... Gonna go the pro route
post #1535 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just put my order in for this tv, Should be here within a week. I have been reading and reading about settings and seems most people recommend the D-nice settings posted on HDJ. But I have a couple questions I have not found the answer for. How long should I run panel Prep and is that part of the 100 hour, Also I do plan On getting it professionally calibrated when all said and done. Should I still use this prep slides?

Also how easy is it to change between calibrations, Is it something that can be setup as an activity on a harmony remote, I do a bit of gaming so I would need gaming/movie modes if possible.
post #1536 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I just put my order in for this tv, Should be here within a week. I have been reading and reading about settings and seems most people recommend the D-nice settings posted on HDJ. But I have a couple questions I have not found the answer for. How long should I run panel Prep and is that part of the 100 hour. For using D-NIce's settings the 100 hours is the prep that he did before calibrating a given model.
Quote:
Also I do plan On getting it professionally calibrated when all said and done. Should I still use this prep slides?
Only if you want D-Nice's settings to look as good as possible before you get a professional calibration.

You should use your display before you pay for a professional calibration. The more you use it before paying for a professional calibration, the longer the new settings will have maximum effect. Here is a link about how you might best watch your display in the early days -- or the later days too.

Click Here
Quote:
Also how easy is it to change between calibrations, Is it something that can be setup as an activity on a harmony remote, I do a bit of gaming so I would need gaming/movie modes if possible.
Sure. That's how I would do it as long as you can teach the Harmony to change modes. I've never had a reason to try that. In any case, you can change modes in one activity using Device.
post #1537 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM

I noticed something watching golf yesterday. Tiger was wearing a bright white shirt and they showed a close up of him. There seemed to be no contrast or detail of his shirt. Is this ABL or do I need to tone my contrast or brightness setting. I am still in my own self imposed break in period and just using the THX ciema mode. I did turn contrast up a hair to about 71 I think.
post #1538 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
That could just be the way it was videoed.

You'd be surprised as to the number of errors that occur at the recording end.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1539 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Sonny DiFranco of Home Theatre Guru is local in Austin

Doug Weil of Clearly Resolved will be in Austin on Tour May 18 - 20.

Chad Billheimer of HDTVbyChadB will be there soon I believe (he may be in TX now, I'm not sure.

Contact info linked below in my signature
Thanks so much. Will contact them after reading up more.
post #1540 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 PM

Has anyone in NYC had issues getting a clear picture with TWC? I just got a 65vt50 the other day and watching the NCAA tournament is not as crisp as I would have hoped. The d-nice settings a few pages back helped, but the image is still a little blury.
post #1541 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf18125 View Post

Has anyone in NYC had issues getting a clear picture with TWC? I just got a 65vt50 the other day and watching the NCAA tournament is not as crisp as I would have hoped. The d-nice settings a few pages back helped, but the image is still a little blury.
If your display looks fine playing a good quality Blu-ray movie then it might just be the source. There is a forum here where you can find threads devoted to specific cable locations. If you don't get NYC replies here, you might want to try that.
post #1542 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 317
Quote:

Blurry will also happen if you don't have your box and video processor (if applicable) settings adjusted correctly.
post #1543 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Thanks. I am running the signal through a denon 3313, any suggestions on settings? I suppose tv is better at processing video, so should just have av pass through?
post #1544 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Thanks. I am running the signal through a denon 3313, any suggestions on settings? I suppose tv is better at processing video, so should just have av pass through?

Set the box to native and the denon to scale everything to 1080p. I believe the 3313 is capable of upscaling.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #1545 of 2157 Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastor2 View Post

Thanks, the audio instructions on the disc weren't as clear to me. I referred to the booklet and it was much more clear about this.

I'm still confused as to why the overall screen brightness gets darker when more bright is on the screen, though. For example I'm playing "Bit.Trip Runner 2" on my Wii U. It is a very bright and colorful game, and looked so on my LCD. now playing on the VT50, it looks dull. When I pause the game and the dark pause menu covers the right half of the screen, the visible part of the game to the left becomes bright, as it should be. Same goes if I press Menu on the TV remote which covers the left half of the screen. How can I get this level of brightness when the whole screen is bright?

What you're describing sounds like the ABL (automatic brightness limiter) at work. They are unavoidable on all current Plasma's. Google it for more "happy" reading.
post #1546 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 AM

i am new to this. I just bought my vt50 a couple weeks ago and have a couple questions. first, how do I reduce or eliminate the judder effect I get when watching a movie, I understand that enabling the motion smoother can produce the judder effect, or at least I think I understand, I like the realism it produces and don't want to get rid of that, I only want to reduce or eliminate the shaky judder effect any help would be greatly appreciated. 2nd, what 3d glasses are compatible with this and which ones are best. and 3rd, where can I find what all the extra options under that advance settings and such do, and their purpose. I am extremely new to this so any help would be great
post #1547 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy1222 View Post

i am new to this. I just bought my vt50 a couple weeks ago and have a couple questions. first, how do I reduce or eliminate the judder effect I get when watching a movie, I understand that enabling the motion smoother can produce the judder effect, or at least I think I understand, I like the realism it produces and don't want to get rid of that, I only want to reduce or eliminate the shaky judder effect any help would be greatly appreciated. 2nd, what 3d glasses are compatible with this and which ones are best. and 3rd, where can I find what all the extra options under that advance settings and such do, and their purpose. I am extremely new to this so any help would be great

I don't know a whole lot about the VT50 but I would imagine the best thing you can do to minimize judder would be to use the 96hz setting. This should make the film appear slightly smoother, but still far enough away from the soap opera effect. However, you're still going to see judder in film based content as it's the nature of low fps (frames per second) content. The motion smoother will eliminate judder entirely(low fps judder), but it will give you the soap opera effect. Some people like it, but most agree it looks strange or unnatural. There a lot of compatible glasses, at the moment these are a popular choice among the forum users. http://www.amazon.com/Xpand-X105BT-Mitsubishi-Bluetooth-Televisions/dp/B00A279MD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364208793&sr=8-1&keywords=xpand+105b. As for the extra options, I recommend looking into some of the calibrated settings available.
post #1548 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 AM

I appreciate greatly your help. I would look into this soon, I apologize for not being so well educated about this stuff as I should be, but what do you mean film based content?
post #1549 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy1222 View Post

I appreciate greatly your help. I would look into this soon, I apologize for not being so well educated about this stuff as I should be, but what do you mean film based content?

Probably a bad title, I was just referring to how films are shot at 24 fps. The very nature of low fps content produces judder since the frame rate is too low to convey smooth motion. It's somewhat agreed upon that the 2012 Panny's could do better when it comes to motion however. There's no additional effects going on that tries to mask the process, which probably isn't a good thing. I don't find the judder on my GT50 to be an issue at all personally, but others with TV sets that previously hid it better, may be more sensitive to it.
post #1550 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Still messing with my new VT50 and I also apologize for needing a bit of education, being my first Plasma. I'll try to be more concise in what I'm asking here.

1. Is it normal for whites to get greyer as they fill the screen? Just making sure I'm not missing something or have anything wrong with my set. As mentioned, if I use my PC and open a notepad window, its white as long as its small, but as I drag the window to make it bigger, it gets duller and closer to grey. Even looking at other parts of the screen, the entire screen gets dimmer as more solid white fills it. Pulling up the TV menu, or a pause menu that covers up part of a game, increases the brightness. I'm trying to see if I can get a more consistent brightness, preferably close to the brighter side of what I'm seeing. Will it be possible to see a small white object grow larger without changing its shade? The all-white menus of my Wii U seem duller than they did on my LCD.

2. Is there a way to increase overall brightness uniformly? It will be months before I have the extra cash for a pro calibration, and wondering if there are certain settings that I could increase by an equal amount just to increase the light output a tad. Not by much but seems a tad more light would help. I'm in a very cave-like apartment, not a bright room at all. During the day there is a large sliding glass door to the left of the TV, but it has a dark curtain over it. Light gets in, but not too much, I still need the overhead light at times to find things in the room more easily without opening the curtains. I've tried setting the panel brightness to "high" and while I liked the brightness level, everything was washed out.
post #1551 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
I have the directv genie. How do I set the box to native so I can have my onkyo upscale it. Currently out of town and trying to remember buttons for switching and all I can remember is the way to switch from 480,720 and 1080i.

post #1552 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still messing with my new VT50 and I also apologize for needing a bit of education, being my first Plasma. I'll try to be more concise in what I'm asking here.

1. Is it normal for whites to get greyer as they fill the screen? Just making sure I'm not missing something or have anything wrong with my set. As mentioned, if I use my PC and open a notepad window, its white as long as its small, but as I drag the window to make it bigger, it gets duller and closer to grey. Even looking at other parts of the screen, the entire screen gets dimmer as more solid white fills it. Pulling up the TV menu, or a pause menu that covers up part of a game, increases the brightness. I'm trying to see if I can get a more consistent brightness, preferably close to the brighter side of what I'm seeing. Will it be possible to see a small white object grow larger without changing its shade? The all-white menus of my Wii U seem duller than they did on my LCD.

2. Is there a way to increase overall brightness uniformly? It will be months before I have the extra cash for a pro calibration, and wondering if there are certain settings that I could increase by an equal amount just to increase the light output a tad. Not by much but seems a tad more light would help. I'm in a very cave-like apartment, not a bright room at all. During the day there is a large sliding glass door to the left of the TV, but it has a dark curtain over it. Light gets in, but not too much, I still need the overhead light at times to find things in the room more easily without opening the curtains. I've tried setting the panel brightness to "high" and while I liked the brightness level, everything was washed out.

1.) That's the ABL or (Automatic Brightness limiter). It's exactly how it sounds, based on the total brightness of the set it dims the screen accordingly. Personally, I don't know why it's not a bigger issue, I did all my research before buying my first plasma, never a single mention of the ABL. It's not that big of a deal though, the set can stay fairly bright in all but the brightest of content.

2.) Aside from turning the contrast up in Custom mode, the only other thing you can do is use a higher color temp. (normal/cool). Of course while this makes your screen appear brighter (as it shifts blue), you're not going to have very accurate colors. As for high panel brightness, as you found out it doesn't work, dark scenes will look worse and bright scenes will wash out.
post #1553 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

1.) That's the ABL or (Automatic Brightness limiter). It's exactly how it sounds, based on the total brightness of the set it dims the screen accordingly. Personally, I don't know why it's not a bigger issue, I did all my research before buying my first plasma, never a single mention of the ABL. It's not that big of a deal though, the set can stay fairly bright in all but the brightest of content.

2.) Aside from turning the contrast up in Custom mode, the only other thing you can do is use a higher color temp. (normal/cool). Of course while this makes your screen appear brighter (as it shifts blue), you're not going to have very accurate colors. As for high panel brightness, as you found out it doesn't work, dark scenes will look worse and bright scenes will wash out.

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't encountered ABL before... Still questioning my decision on going with a Plasma over LED. Anyone out there care to give me some reasons I should stick with the VT50 over an LED? I still have 3 weeks left to return it if I wish, so giving it a lot of thought during this period. My former set, an LCD from about 5 years ago, never had the issues I'm seeing with changing brightness, and small type in video games seemed more solid, less soft than it does on the Plasma. However, this has been named best picture quality by numerous sources that I trust, which led to me choosing it. The ABL thing does concern me a bit though... the games I'm used to playing that are meant to look bright and super-saturated like Mario on the Wii U don't have the pop I'm used to.

While the room can be dark, it often isn't, and the curtain is open letting the sun in, etc... I don't like to be in a cave 24/7.

Also, how much difference should I expect from a pro calibration?
post #1554 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't encountered ABL before... Still questioning my decision on going with a Plasma over LED. Anyone out there care to give me some reasons I should stick with the VT50 over an LED? I still have 3 weeks left to return it if I wish, so giving it a lot of thought during this period. My former set, an LCD from about 5 years ago, never had the issues I'm seeing with changing brightness, and small type in video games seemed more solid, less soft than it does on the Plasma. However, this has been named best picture quality by numerous sources that I trust, which led to me choosing it. The ABL thing does concern me a bit though... the games I'm used to playing that are meant to look bright and super-saturated like Mario on the Wii U don't have the pop I'm used to.

While the room can be dark, it often isn't, and the curtain is open letting the sun in, etc... I don't like to be in a cave 24/7.

If your primary use is video games you are better off with an LED imo What kind of settings are you using ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1555 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

I don't know a whole lot about the VT50 but I would imagine the best thing you can do to minimize judder would be to use the 96hz setting. This should make the film appear slightly smoother, but still far enough away from the soap opera effect.

What I have experienced is that on the VT50 the best picture for blu-ray is achieved when using the 60hz setting. Intuitively you would think 96hz, but to my eyes (and some calibrators as well) 60hz is an improvement over 96. Easy to experiment with and find what you like.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #1556 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

What I have experienced is that on the VT50 the best picture for blu-ray is achieved when using the 60hz setting. Intuitively you would think 96hz, but to my eyes (and some calibrators as well) 60hz is an improvement over 96. Easy to experiment with and find what you like.

I've been doing exactly that haven't decided which I like best tho, but I always that the 60hz did an excellent job on my ST30. I am going to ask Chad what he thinks on Friday when he does my cal.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1557 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Many of this thread will definitely recommend plasma over LCD and the VT50 is one of the best HDTVs you can buy. IMO, it really comes down to how you plan to use the TV. I use mine largely for TV, movies and gaming and find it great. If you are a heavy gamer then a LCD might be better suited for your needs.

I came from a LCD to plasma as well. It is a bit of an adjustment as my ST50 has a softer image than my 5 year old LCD. I had become use to sharp image of my Samsung LCD. ABL has not been much of an issue for me and it is even less so since I had my panel professionally calibrated. Using a calibration DVD would also be helpful. Though a recommended ISF calibrator will be able to answer a lot of your questions as part of the calibration process. And yes, pro calibration can make quite a difference.
post #1558 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

If your primary use is video games you are better off with an LED imo What kind of settings are you using ?

I agree.

Plasma for cinema like experience (movies). LED for monitor like experience (video games).
post #1559 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Yeah I thought that I vaguely remembered hearing 60hz was the better option, even for the VT50, but I wasn't sure. That seems strange though, technically 96hz should be nicer in terms of smooth motion, and the even number eliminates any judder created by 3:2 pull down. I imagine something is wrong with the feature or there's another factor that's affecting PQ that I'm not aware of.
post #1560 of 2157 Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I agree.

Plasma for cinema like experience (movies). LED for monitor like experience (video games).

I disagree, I think games look great. Super bright colorful games may be an exception, however.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page