AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic VT50 Settings Thread

321K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  6SpeedTA95 
#1 ·
I'll be receiving my Panny VT50, next week. So ... I figured, a VT50 settings thread wouldn't hurt.

#956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/930#post_22857242

Yes that is the problem when using Warm 2, it probably will give a pinkish over tone or worse as you are seeing.

Its probably best to use a Gamma target of 2.2 or 2.4 depending on how dark you keep your viewing room, black level light, Warm 1 is a good color temp setting.

ss

As I get this closer to perfection, I'm realizing that I would kill for a 2.3 gamma.

#958 ·
The gamma presets are starting points, from there you can target what you want.

#959 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/930#post_22860241

As I get this closer to perfection, I'm realizing that I would kill for a 2.3 gamma.

all doable with calibration...

if u mean as starting point, then don't worry about it as these Gamma settings don't reflect what their numbers represent... 2.2 is more of a 2.05, 2.4 is very close to a 2.2, and believe it or not 2.6 is around 2.18 - all with a WIDE gamut (color space)...

#960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/930#post_22860434

all doable with calibration...

if u mean as starting point, then don't worry about it as these Gamma settings don't reflect what their numbers represent... 2.2 is more of a 2.05, 2.4 is very close to a 2.2, and believe it or not 2.6 is around 2.18 - all with a WIDE gamut (color space)...
Really? I didn't know that, I just thought 2.6 would be around 2.4. It certainly looks darker than 2.4.

#961 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/960#post_22860658

Really? I didn't know that, I just thought 2.6 would be around 2.4. It certainly looks darker than 2.4.

I was surprised too...

had a run through with wide gamut and gamma 2.6 (panel brightness: mid & warm 1) in Lightspace the other day... useless... Gamma resembled around 2.18 and gamut was smaller than with wide & 2.4... resulted in a LUT for the Mini that covered only 73% (!) of the Rec709 gamut...

LUT's for wide & 2.4 or wide & 2.2 cover 97% of Rec709 gamut...

Btw, that is all with the Mini in the chain (which does distort the signal)...

#962 ·
Basically, I've found that THX Cinema mode for movies is very well calibrated and looks great, so I use it for movies only. I've got the custom setting totally pimped out for sports, and it looks great as well. The problem I'm having right now is finding that third mode for the tv shows I watch like Chopped or Hard Core Pawn. You know, the one's no one can live without.

#963 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/930#post_22856838

I had my Panasonic VT50 65 Calibrated by Chad B on Friday. Chad was a true professional and very knowledgeable guy. I was lucky to have him calibrate my TV since I was not on his NY tour. He came out of his way to calibrate my TV. You could not find a more down to earth person. During the calibration, he took his time to explain what his was doing and he was extremely patient for all of my questions.

Wow what a big difference. Colors are more true life with accurate flesh tones and the POP I was missing before. The picture is much brighter in both day and night, but with the same great black levels. I can now notice some of the background in dark scene which I could not before and it really bugged me about the TV. He also calibrated my 3D and what a big difference with great color and more pop, even the lady of the house noticed what a difference in both 2D and 3d, plus she was getting tired of me changing things during our TV viewing
My TV is located in an area that is very bright and I can view the picture even if the area is very bright without any problem after the calibration.

CHAD B tested & calibrated every piece of equipment and took 4 hour to do his work, which included ISF-Day and ISF-Night modes, as well as ISF-3D. The calibrations are definitely worth the price and I fully recommend waiting for CHAD when he goes on his next tour. He has great equipment and demo material to test audio and video, so you system never misses a beat .I can now put down the remote and enjoy the TV instead of trying to make adjustments all the time.

Chad B calibrated my old Sony a few years ago. He's great. With that set he was able to correct the overly green issue I was having. He made a huge difference on that TV. He's very highly recommended. I plan on getting him to calibrate my VT50 in the very near future. I'm tired of tweaking. I just want to enjoy my set.

#965 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob222  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/960#post_22865283

Chad B calibrated my old Sony a few years ago. He's great. With that set he was able to correct the overly green issue I was having. He made a huge difference on that TV. He's very highly recommended. I plan on getting him to calibrate my VT50 in the very near future. I'm tired of tweaking. I just want to enjoy my set.

I got tired of tweaking ( Well the young lady got tired of me messing with the TV when we were watching a movie or show)
. He did a very good job. I am very happy with the service.

#966 ·
I hooked up my home theater to this set last night and my picture improved significantly. Is that even possible, or am I hallucinating?

Also, I hear many talking about modes that I can't find on my set, like day mode and night mode. Can someone point me in the right direction of finding them on this set? Thanks.

#967 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/960#post_22867452

I hooked up my home theater to this set last night and my picture improved significantly. Is that even possible, or am I hallucinating?

Also, I hear many talking about modes that I can't find on my set, like day mode and night mode. Can someone point me in the right direction of finding them on this set? Thanks.

If you have a component that does video processing/upscaling you'll notice this. Some AVR's have them.

The day and night modes are only available by hriing an ISF professional to come calibrate your tv. OR, if you'd like to enable them and use other peoples' settings or get access to a couple of extra custom modes essentially, there's a very good piece of software that will let you do it yourself called ControlCal. If you are interested, you can contact Turbe for details - he usually is in this thread as well.

#968 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/960#post_22867842

If you have a component that does video processing/upscaling you'll notice this. Some AVR's have them.

The day and night modes are only available by hriing an ISF professional to come calibrate your tv. OR, if you'd like to enable them and use other peoples' settings or get access to a couple of extra custom modes essentially, there's a very good piece of software that will let you do it yourself called ControlCal. If you are interested, you can contact Turbe for details - he usually is in this thread as well.

Thanks. That is great information. ISF Professional sounds legit. Not sure how to find one. Is this like a Best Buy service perhaps?

TURBE, TURBE, assistance please!!!

#969 ·
I just pm'd you some information.. I also pm you a list of Calibrators covering Chicago.

#971 ·
I'll PM you that info for both

#972 ·
when i have a video file that has 2 audio streams in it how do i switch to the other.

example an mkv file on usb stick has AC3 audio and has DTS audio.

on a samsung you would just push tools audio output and switch.

does VT50'S not have this option?

when i try to play the same file on my vt50 i get audio not supported.

i understand vt50 doesn't decode dts audio which is ridiculous but i cant even switch to the ac3 .

is there anyway to get DTS audio to my sony surround sound via VT50 usb or switch to the other audio stored in video container?

example usb-mkv-dts-optical audio out-surround reciever is this possible?

#973 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/900#post_22855657

Not sure if these will work for you, but they are the 3D (day) settings that my calibrator entered.
ISF Day 3D.xml 3k .xml file

Your results may vary...

I just got around to applying these settings and they look pretty darn good and MUCH better then the previous settings. Thanks for sharing.

#974 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms  /t/1410156/the-official-panasonic-vt50-settings-thread/960#post_22875785

I just got around to applying these settings and they look pretty darn good and MUCH better then the previous settings. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure!

#975 ·
I had my tv ISF calibrated Wednesday night by Chad. He did a great job and was very patient with the tv and me. Prior to having my tv calibrated, I experimented with the settings shared by others, and saw some improvement in my picture. However, Chad's calibration took my picture to a whole new level.

Chad told me that he does not publicly share his settings because there is so much variation among tvs, even tvs manufactured at the same time. I compared my 3D calibrated settings against those provided by Scirica and there are differences, some substantial, in almost every setting. I suspect that Scirica's settings are optimal for his tv, but may not be optimal for anyone else's. I am not suggesting that someone using Scirica's settings will not improve his or her picture. Rather, I am suggesting that, if a person has the desire, and the financial resources, to obtain the best possible picture, that person should have the tv professionally calibrated.

I now intend to have Chad do an Audyssey Pro calibration of my audio system. He predicted that it would make a bigger difference to my audio system than the ISF calibration did to my tv.

#976 ·
So I finally have my tv all set up and was watching Gran Torino on TNT last night and the picture seemed horrible, I'm assuming it was the judder that people talk about, so is there a setting to get rid of it or is it something I need to live with? I had Star Trek on the DVR and it did not have these issues. Also I watched the blu ray of Blade Runner and it had white flashes that were popping up around the screen, is this the blu ray or something with the tv?

Excuse my ignorance about this as it's my first plasma, I'm coming from a 2003 Sony RP LCD. Also if it helps I am using a Panasonic 220 blu ray player. There's so many F'ing settings between all these devices to set and half of them I don't even know what they do, very frustrating. I also have read lots of this thread and the owners thread but they are so many pages I can't remember where I read about what!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.