post #31 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite cowboy View Post

I hope this is not off base. B1ut is the speaker in the panny 65vt50 able to be used as a center channel speaker as I have limited space.

There's a breakout cable that allows RCA Left and Right audio in, so I don't see why not. However, you'd need line-level, aka pre-amp output from your receiver. You couldn't send it amplified signals; that would seem to be impossible. Does your AVR allow pre-amp outs on a per-channel basis?

By the way, we have a center-channel issue too and are re-configuring our cabinets to accommodate the VT50. (The older Panasonic sat taller and therefore I could sit my center channel directly in front of it no problem). As a result, we've used the TV speaker for the entire ownership period to date, which is unheard of for us. It sounds actually pretty decent and I imagine it would make for a quite adequate center channel.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rogo, Thanks for the input. I am going from a 10 year old rear projector crt to this Panny which arrived today. So I see what you mean about the low stance of the set which leaves no room for my Center channel speaker. I have a onkyo tx-nr906 receiver which tells me I have a pre out for center channel. Does this get connected to the composite input with the funky cable? Once again thanks for the heads up on this possible work around....Joe
post #33 of 38 Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:

Rogo, Thanks for the input. I am going from a 10 year old rear projector crt to this Panny which arrived today. So I see what you mean about the low stance of the set which leaves no room for my Center channel speaker. I have a onkyo tx-nr906 receiver which tells me I have a pre out for center channel. Does this get connected to the composite input with the funky cable? Once again thanks for the heads up on this possible work around....Joe

Yes, the "composite" output is what is technically called an RCA cable (based on who invented it long ago). You'd run an RCA cable from that center-channel pre-out into the audio input of the TV using the breakout cable. The TV is looking for the possibility of stereo, the channel coming out is mono, so it will only need to go into one side (my guess is white, but it won't take long to figure out whether you want the white or the red side).

I imagine this will work out fine; I'm actually considering trying it.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #34 of 38 Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Thank you. I may not have to try that option since "with a little finesse I was able to put my center channel speaker directly underneath the set on the second shelf of my tv stand. If does not workout I will go back and try using set speakers instead. Once again I want to thank you for this information it has been a big help because I may still use this option....Joe
post #35 of 38 Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 162
the 65" should have slightly better blacks then the smaller sets
post #36 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Good morning all.

I just received my 65" VT50 and have the same question as above regarding use of the TV itself as a center channel speaker. It is just logistically easier for speaker placement at my place.

I have the little break out cable for the RCA plugs. The challenge is that I am using HDMI through an Onkyo receiver (NR809). The receiver does have a pre-amp center channel out.

But when I plug it in - I am not getting sound through the TV (tried both the red and white audio in).

The TV speaker is set as "On" in the configuration. Is it an issue of video coming from HDMI 1 and audio coming via RCA? Do I have to use RCA for video as well? I don't have a problem doing that, but the ease of HDMI - single plug - as opposed to the component cables - and the quality? (Is there a variance between component and HDMI?)

Thanks.
post #37 of 38 Old 07-14-2012, 03:00 PM

What I notice with my 65vt50 when my Onkyo 906 is turned on the speakers in set turn off as if it knows I don't want to use the speakers in the set but want to use the receiver speakers instead. ( Damn set is smarter than I am). I don't know if this helps but it may take a little digging to find out if you can use the speakers in the set for a center channel.
post #38 of 38 Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

What I notice with my 65vt50 when my Onkyo 906 is turned on the speakers in set turn off as if it knows I don't want to use the speakers in the set but want to use the receiver speakers instead. ( Damn set is smarter than I am). I don't know if this helps but it may take a little digging to find out if you can use the speakers in the set for a center channel.

The "Viera Link" controls the TV's internal system usage so when you select "HT speakers", the internal speakers are "off" and can't be used. Making the external connections will do nothing.

You COULD modify it so as to make direct connections to the back terminals PROVIDED you wired them directly to those back terminals so that you could drive them directly from your HT amp/rcvr using a "y-adapter". This would drive both speakers making it a long center channel. Of course, you could never use the internal speakers again.

Just making the external connections won't work . . . unfortunately.

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GT30 "THX" Settings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GT30 "Vivid" Settings:

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page