Pioneer 5020 not powering on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I have the opportunity to buy a Pioneer 5020 for a very good price because the TV doesn't turn on. The glass, however, is perfectly fine. Certainly I could try taking a TV repair man with me to see the TV, but that would cost me like $70 ust for the estimate. Plus, the seller is 2 hours away from me, so it is really inconvenient.

In your experience, what might be some of the problems that could cause a plasma not to turn on? I know there might be many issues that might cause this problem, so just throw out a few ideas out there, since I know nothing about TV repair. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
#1 likely cause: Power supply went kaput, which would be the cheapest problem to address.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

#1 likely cause: Power supply went kaput, which would be the cheapest problem to address.

Thanks for the reply Vinnie. Anything else you think it might be?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I'd be suspicious that the seller has already had the TV diagnosed and found that either the necessary parts aren't available anymore or the cost to repair is very high and is now trying to unload it to an unsuspecting buyer.

Sometimes when a power supply fails or some other board fails, that failure also takes out other boards or damages the circuitry that's on-board the panel and that often makes the TV too expensive to repair.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Randy thanks for the thought. If the glass is still intact, and I were somehow able to acquire a broken 5020 for parts (sometimes broken glass pioneers are available for cheap) would the repair then be feasible, Since I would have all the part necessary?
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

Randy thanks for the thought. If the glass is still intact, and I were somehow able to acquire a broken 5020 for parts (sometimes broken glass pioneers are available for cheap) would the repair then be feasible, Since I would have all the part necessary?

There's no way to know until a technician first attempts to diagnose the problem, then starts installing board(s) that he suspects are bad. There is circuitry that's built into the plasma panel that could be bad rendering the whole panel as a total loss, even though the glass itself is intact. Even if it was one of the replaceable boards that caused the failure, you don't even know if replacement boards are available or not. Even if you only pay a hundred bucks for the dead Kuro, you could end up spending a hundred bucks for a diagnosis, then another $400-$1200 more having boards replaced, and still the TV might not power up. No matter what you do, it is a big gamble.

If i had a dead Kuro that i wanted to sell, i'd get it fixed first so that i could get top dollar for it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Randy. I was referring to getting the dead kuro with the intact glass, and then getting another dead kuro with broken glass that turns on and has fully functioning parts, except for the glAss. Therefore I would have all the parts necessary to repair the kuro with intact glass. (Usually broken glass kuros are relatively cheap). Would this be feasible?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 AM

Sometimes when a power supply fails or some other board fails

post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

Randy. I was referring to getting the dead kuro with the intact glass, and then getting another dead kuro with broken glass that turns on and has fully functioning parts, except for the glAss. Therefore I would have all the parts necessary to repair the kuro with intact glass. (Usually broken glass kuros are relatively cheap). Would this be feasible?

You're missing the part where i'm telling you that there is on-board circuitry that's built into the plasma panel module which is not replaceable and not repairable, and this could be the reason why the TV won't power up. In this case, you'd have to replace the whole plasma panel module and that would probably cost a few thousand dollars.

Has the seller had a technician diagnose the TV? Why is he not just getting repaired himself so he can sell it for top dollar instead of dumping it? How much is he asking for it? Is it worth it to you to take a chance and buy it then get it diagnosed yourself? Are you willing to risk the chance that the TV needs a new $2,000 panel module? Is a new panel even available anymore?

Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page