P50ST30 issue with red dot in center of screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought this a year ago and it's been an awesome tv but I just noticed today that there's a red dot right in the dead center of the screen. It only appears on colored images, not black and white. It's annoying once you notice it too. It's kinda like someone's flashing a red laser at the screen. I bought this tv at best buy and got a 2 year warranty with it so they are gonna come and check it out but I was wondering what the possible issue is going on with the screen? Anything I could fix?

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Possibly a stuck pixel. If so, the only repair option is to replace the whole panel.

If the TV is less than one year old, leave Best Buy completely out of it and deal directly with Panasonic's 1-year factory warranty because BB will screw you if the cost to repair the TV is more than it's worth. Only use the BB warranty AFTER the factory warranty expires.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Possibly a stuck pixel. If so, the only repair option is to replace the whole panel.

If the TV is less than one year old, leave Best Buy completely out of it and deal directly with Panasonic's 1-year factory warranty because BB will screw you if the cost to repair the TV is more than it's worth. Only use the BB warranty AFTER the factory warranty expires.

How do I go about dealing with Panasonic? What's the procedure?

Thanks a ton!
post #4 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

How do I go about dealing with Panasonic? What's the procedure?

You just call Panasonic and request a service call. You must have your original receipt to show to the service technician to prove that you're the original purchaser, and to verify your purchase date.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well apparently I bought the tv in April so it's been over a year and I guess the 1 year warranty is no longer valid.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Any advice on how to approach or deal with Geek Squad? I just wanna be prepared for when they come and have an idea of what to expect.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 10
Bend over.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Any advice on how to approach or deal with Geek Squad? I just wanna be prepared for when they come and have an idea of what to expect.

How far from the TV do you sit?

Is that "red dot" actually one single pixel that's turned red?

Can you see this red dot from that viewing distance?

Is it visible enough that it bothers you from your normal viewing position?

Best Buy may insist that since the owners manual says that a few pixels that may be bright or dark aren't considered a defect, they aren't obligated to replace the panel (which would cost more than just giving you a whole new TV) and they may refuse to repair it.

If you think there's any ambiguity, move your chair or couch etc closer to the TV so the red dot is more visible/irritating/distracting and say "this is where we sit", and also have some colored content ready (Tivo recording, DVD, etc) that demonstrates the defect at it's worst so the technician can't possibly say "it's within specifications" and weasels out of fixing it.

Randy
post #9 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How far from the TV do you sit?

Is that "red dot" actually one single pixel that's turned red?

Can you see this red dot from that viewing distance?

Is it visible enough that it bothers you from your normal viewing position?

Best Buy may insist that since the owners manual says that a few pixels that may be bright or dark aren't considered a defect, they aren't obligated to replace the panel (which would cost more than just giving you a whole new TV) and they may refuse to repair it.

If you think there's any ambiguity, move your chair or couch etc closer to the TV so the red dot is more visible/irritating/distracting and say "this is where we sit", and also have some colored content ready (Tivo recording, DVD, etc) that demonstrates the defect at it's worst so the technician can't possibly say "it's within specifications" and weasels out of fixing it.

I'm about 6 feet from the tv and I watch it mostly at night time and it's very visible when that section of the screen is a dark color. Even when looking at a different part of the screen, you can see that dot flickering red. I actually moved the couch back a good 3 feet so it's not as bad but once u notice it, you can't ignore it.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

I'm about 6 feet from the tv and I watch it mostly at night time and it's very visible when that section of the screen is a dark color. Even when looking at a different part of the screen, you can see that dot flickering red. I actually moved the couch back a good 3 feet so it's not as bad but once u notice it, you can't ignore it.

Again - is that "red dot" actually only one single pixel? Or is it a cluster of several pixels? This is important.

So that red dot is flickering? That would be more irritating and distracting then just being stuck on solid red so this works in your favor in getting them to take care you. A solid red pixel is technically within spec, but if i had a flashing or blinking pixel i would insist on a warranty repair. Don't let the guy dismiss this as normal or acceptable, but i don't see how he could.

The downside to having it repaired is that since the cost to replace the plasma panel module is probably more than you paid for the TV, if they do replace it the fine print says that the warranty is considered fulfilled which basically means it's cancelled and no further defects will be covered. And this is also the case if they replace the TV or give you a store credit.

But at least you end up getting a new TV for the price you paid for that warranty so that ends up being a good deal. And the new ST50 is definitely worth a few hundred bucks more than the ST30 so you get a nice upgrade for not a lot of money

Randy
post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Again - is that "red dot" actually only one single pixel? Or is it a cluster of several pixels? This is important.

So that red dot is flickering? That would be more irritating and distracting then just being stuck on solid red so this works in your favor in getting them to take care you. A solid red pixel is technically within spec, but if i had a flashing or blinking pixel i would insist on a warranty repair. Don't let the guy dismiss this as normal or acceptable, but i don't see how he could.

The downside to having it repaired is that since the cost to replace the plasma panel module is probably more than you paid for the TV, if they do replace it the fine print says that the warranty is considered fulfilled which basically means it's cancelled and no further defects will be covered. And this is also the case if they replace the TV or give you a store credit.

But at least you end up getting a new TV for the price you paid for that warranty so that ends up being a good deal. And the new ST50 is definitely worth a few hundred bucks more than the ST30 so you get a nice upgrade for not a lot of money

It's on single pixel that flickers. It's not a solid red. That's what's annoying about it, the flickering. I can live with one pixel being out of color but flickering drives me nuts lol.

Getting a video of it now. Will post in 10 minutes. Need to charge the camera.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

See it? It's like the tv is morse-coding me a SOS signal.....lol.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Geek squad just left and I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. Two dudes came in and I paused an episode of Lost where it showed the worst of the dot and they knew right away that there's a problem with the panel. They said they will order a new panel and bring it here to install on June 5th. Sweet!

I'm very glad I purchased that 2 year warranty. Not sure how much a panel would cost but I would think it would be more than the warranty for sure.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50st30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page