AVS Forum banner

What to clean my plasma screen with?

5K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Otto Pylot 
#1 ·
Just bought a display model Samsung p51d450 and it has some fingerprints on the screen. What should I clean it with that is safe for the screen? Thanks!

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 /forum/post/22041464

Walmart sells some very good and cheap tv cleaning wipes,the ones that come in the black package. They keep their moisture very well. Just give the pack a gentle squeeze to make sure you get a fresh pack. Usually though if I ever run out of wipes, i use my spray bottle of spring water with a drop or two of dishwashing liquid and prescription glasses cleaning cloth. Wipes are just so convenient and even if they dry out i have my bottle of solution.Oh yeah, when i was a kid about 9 i tried Windex on my crt and it ate my screen up with quite a few small pores the very first time. Glad i learned my lesson early,i'm 31 now.

Spring water has minerals in it.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0

I've never had grease or junk
to clean off of my screen so it's up to you with what you want to do with your tv. The question was asked and answered with what most consider the safest and best way to normally clean a panel. But it's your call as to what you want to do.

Wow. Love that you live in your hermetically sealed world but for the rest of us living in the real world: **** happens.

Babysitting and the kid puts a paw print on the screen,

Buddy gets up from the couch to grab a beer but not before sneezing in the general direction of the display,

Or-- you know-- the fact that air (particularly recirculated AC and heat) contains millions of tiny particles and microbes that just waft through your home bathing everything that isn't wrapped in a full hazmat suit...

You know the usual stuff.

Look, to each his own and, to be clear, I recommended using lens cleaner-- not windex or bleach or oxy clean-- EYEGLASS CLEANER. You know, the same stuff professionals use to clean high end camera equipment (that costs more than your display) and... Eyeglasses... Yeah. I really don't think your plasma is sensitive enough to be affected by eyeglass cleaner-- and if it is I'd sell it and go buy something that wasn't a piece of ****.

#30 ·
I wouldn't buy anything from Walmart on principle, but that's just me
Mixing a small amount of soap, with isopropyl alcohol (which is in all eyeglass cleaners, even ones for coated lenses), and the minerals that are inherent to all spring water is something that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing. But again, it's your tv. Small areas, maybe, but definitely not the entire surface.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic /forum/post/22042169

I'm not running slides. Right now the picture just keeps getting better, there's nothing disturbing about images right now either. I'll wait for awhile and then take some down time to play with the AVS 709 and check out the WOW disk hubby picked up too. Don't you have the WOW disk?

No. I have the AVS HD-709 disk but have thought about getting the WOW disk for a second check before confirming it with my reference movie. But so far, it still seems to holding it's own even after about 3300 hours. I'm sure the light output has dropped some, as Nick and Dennis have shown, but so far I haven't visually seen any difference so no reason to check. Don't want to get hung up on numbers if I can't see any difference

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0

I wouldn't buy anything from Walmart on principle, but that's just me
Mixing a small amount of soap, with isopropyl alcohol (which is in all eyeglass cleaners, even ones for coated lenses), and the minerals that are inherent to all spring water is something that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing. But again, it's your tv. Small areas, maybe, but definitely not the entire surface.

Yeah, well, I prefer it over using friction and abrasively rubbing off any accumulation with nothing but a cloth (no matter how soft you think it is), distilled water and the my prayers. Lol! I mean, you're concerned about the minerals in tap water and yet you have no concern for what the dirt on your display becomes when you add water to it? I'll give you a hint-- try using wet sand paper on an old pot or pan and then come back here and tell me you're still anti-detergent!

Nope, sorry my friend, But this is one area we'll have to agree to disagree!

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x /forum/post/22043617

Wow. Love that you live in your hermetically sealed world but for the rest of us living in the real world: **** happens.

Babysitting and the kid puts a paw print on the screen,

Buddy gets up from the couch to grab a beer but not before sneezing in the general direction of the display,

Or-- you know-- the fact that air (particularly recirculated AC and heat) contains millions of tiny particles and microbes that just waft through your home bathing everything that isn't wrapped in a full hazmat suit...

You know the usual stuff.

Look, to each his own and, to be clear, I recommended using lens cleaner-- not windex or bleach or oxy clean-- EYEGLASS CLEANER. You know, the same stuff professionals use to clean high end camera equipment (that costs more than your display) and... Eyeglasses... Yeah. I really don't think your plasma is sensitive enough to be affected by eyeglass cleaner-- and if it is I'd sell it and go buy something that wasn't a piece of ****.

Relax. No sense in getting all worked up over how you want to clean your panel. Yeah, mine gets dirty (certainly no where near as bad as the old CRT with its static surface) from time to time, but the kids are grown up so no "peanut butter" fingerprint type smudges anymore
Eyeglass cleaner is fine (even though most contain isopropyl alcohol), even the type for special treated lenses (anti-reflective, uv) which I use on my glasses. We're just talking about cleaning tv panels, not the national deficit. My opinion is that distilled water and a microfiber cloth is absolute safest way to go and will work fine for most people under most situations. However, if you feel the need to use something else, fine.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x /forum/post/22043653

Nope, sorry my friend, But this is one area we'll have to agree to disagree!

That's fine. This is what these forums are all about. For those that are lurking and not posting, they are seeing two good arguments for a single issue with excellent information so that they can come up with what will work best for them. I have no problem agreeing to disagree
Civil discourse is what these forums are for.

#35 ·

I maybe beating a dead horse here but I had quite a good luck with a solution of 2 parts of distilled water and 1 part of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle (all three bought at a Dollar store).

Spray the solution on a microfiber towel, not directly on a screen and then clean. I use this on my plasma, LCD, computer monitors, laptop, my prescription eyeglasses, camera, etc... I have 2 small kids that love to touch stuff with their little fingers. This method takes care of the finger marks, dust, etc. Pure, simple and cheap. No muss, no fuss solution. Just clean and disinfected.

I used to buy Monster cleaning kit and that was not as good as this method. Don't use dish detergent soaps since they will leave an invisible soap residue film.

#36 ·
Isopropyl alcohol is the same thing that's in eye glass cleaners so you're probably ok. However, if you don't dry it completely off of the panel, there's no telling how the alcohol will react over time to the protective coating that is on a lot of tv's now a days. 2:1 dilution of water/alcohol is not that much.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/22046737

Isopropyl alcohol is the same thing that's in eye glass cleaners so you're probably ok. However, if you don't dry it completely off of the panel, there's no telling how the alcohol will react over time to the protective coating that is on a lot of tv's now a days. 2:1 dilution of water/alcohol is not that much.

Alcohol evaporates very quickly, so you don't have to worry about it reacting over time to the protective coating, if you don't dry it off completely.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd /forum/post/22050812

Alcohol evaporates very quickly, so you don't have to worry about it reacting over time to the protective coating, if you don't dry it off completely.

Alcohol yes, water no. And if there are minerals in the water or other constituents dissolved in the alcohol mixture ,evaporation time is slower, so who knows? Quality eye glass cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth are probably fine but that can be expensive over time depending on how often you feel the need to clean, other that dust, your panel. As for me, I'd only use it on troublesome areas and not the entire panel on a routine basis. But, it's whatever you feel comfortable with. As has been stated by myself and others, the only 100% safe cleaner is distilled water and a microfiber cloth. Other methods are probably ok if used sparingly and wisely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.