Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiesmalls62 View Post

Hey I'm fairly new here as a poster but not as a visitor. I have a CRT with HD capabilities from 02 in my room still and thinking of either getting an HX929 or the VT50. I've been leaning towards the plasma after reading how they destroyed the competition earlier this week in the test.

So my question is as new consumer of this technology is, is a warranty for these TVs really needed that much? Do they break down at such a high rate compared to the CRTs of old that they require them? Or do you guys just purchase them because you are just covering yourselves just in case things go wrong? And lastly is burn in still something to be worried about in these new plasmas because I remember reading something a few years back that companies stated that they supposedly fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help guys.

I must be the unluckiest of plasma owners as my two sets (50PZ77 and now the 50G15) have now developed the dreaded line of dead pixels which eventually becomes a 2 inch wide vertical dead band. Pics below are of my G15 which is being replaced by a 60GT50 in a few days.

Both cases happened just over 2 years of ownership. The manufacturer's warranty as well as my CC's extended warranty were of no use. In both cases a Panasonic service guy spent hours testing and replacing various boards and connectors behind the panel but eventually showed me an estimate for whole panel replacement, which when includes the labour exceeds the price of a new TV. The extended warranty replaced both sets free of charge for the newer equivalent model (50PZ77 -> 50G15 -> 50GT50).

I've never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life except for my plasma TVs and my apple stuff (AppleCare) and in both cases they've more than paid for themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

I must be the unluckiest of plasma owners as my two sets (50PZ77 and now the 50G15) have now developed the dreaded line of dead pixels which eventually becomes a 2 inch wide vertical dead band. Pics below are of my G15 which is being replaced by a 60GT50 in a few days.

Both cases happened just over 2 years of ownership. The manufacturer's warranty as well as my CC's extended warranty were of no use. In both cases a Panasonic service guy spent hours testing and replacing various boards and connectors behind the panel but eventually showed me an estimate for whole panel replacement, which when includes the labour exceeds the price of a new TV. The extended warranty replaced both sets free of charge for the newer equivalent model (50PZ77 -> 50G15 -> 50GT50).

I've never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life except for my plasma TVs and my apple stuff (AppleCare) and in both cases they've more than paid for themselves.

which extended warranty did you have? BB?
post #33 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post

which extended warranty did you have? BB?

I have FutureShop's extended warranty (Canada). They're owned by BestBuy and they call it PSP (Product Service Plan). I just received my 60GT50 yesterday for the defective exchange.
post #34 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post

If you purchased the entire set on your Mastercard or AmEx card they double the current warranty, just in case some people weren't aware.

This may be a dumb question but does that apply if you just have a Mastercard debit card and not a credit card?
post #35 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Same with VISA credit cards, plus you get an option to buy additional 3 years at a nominal cost.
post #36 of 48 Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

This may be a dumb question but does that apply if you just have a Mastercard debit card and not a credit card?

Probably not, but you'd have to check the specific terms of your debit card.
kkirsche likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #37 of 48 Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Liked: 12
I see Costco have a 3 year Square Trade warranty for TV's that cost over $1000 for $99. I can't help but think that is a hell of a deal, even if it does rune concurrently with the manufacturers warranty. According to Square Trade if the set fails during the Manufacturers warranty period you won't use up any of your Square Trade credit as it were because they won't be fixing it. I still think it's kind of bogus that these warranties run concurrently.

I just purchased the TC-P65vt50 from Amazon with their Amazon StoreCard deal 24 months interest free, couldn't pass up such a deal. I will be purchasing the Square Trade 3 year plan from Costco just in case. The Panasonic replaces a 20 year old rear CRT 56" Toshiba 16:9 that cost me $3500 from CC, I had an extended warranty and the only thing it paid for was a cleaning. It did die once, loud high tension crack and then no picture after about 10 years, prepared myself to by a new TV but decided to clean it and check any fuses, check circuit board plugs etc., but I figured it was toast - turned it back on and it worked eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif in fact it worked for another 10 years and it still works. Sometimes you don't need an extended warranty but it was peace of mind for the first 5 years.

Greg.
post #38 of 48 Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM

I'd tell you to get a warranty regardless of which TV you purchase. Bought a Pana 50G10 in Feb 2010 and it just died. I went with the philosophy of if something was going to go wrong, it would be in the first year and didn't get an extended warranty. Pana was no help - told me it's out of warranty - here's where you can take it for repair. Was told $1900 to fix due to propriatery hardware and parts must come from Pana.
For $1900, I can buy a 65" Plasma
post #39 of 48 Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I found the information in this review of extended warranties very helpful: http://*******************.com/hdtv/warranty-reviews-mack.html

I'm seriously considering buying from Xpress Service: http://dtvexpress.com/xpresserv/extended-warranty-terms.html

Edit: Oops! The first link is to plasma tv buying guide dot com

post #40 of 48 Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyGreg View Post

I see Costco have a 3 year Square Trade warranty for TV's that cost over $1000 for $99. I can't help but think that is a hell of a deal, even if it does rune concurrently with the manufacturers warranty. According to Square Trade if the set fails during the Manufacturers warranty period you won't use up any of your Square Trade credit as it were because they won't be fixing it. I still think it's kind of bogus that these warranties run concurrently.
I just purchased the TC-P65vt50 from Amazon with their Amazon StoreCard deal 24 months interest free, couldn't pass up such a deal. I will be purchasing the Square Trade 3 year plan from Costco just in case. The Panasonic replaces a 20 year old rear CRT 56" Toshiba 16:9 that cost me $3500 from CC, I had an extended warranty and the only thing it paid for was a cleaning. It did die once, loud high tension crack and then no picture after about 10 years, prepared myself to by a new TV but decided to clean it and check any fuses, check circuit board plugs etc., but I figured it was toast - turned it back on and it worked eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif in fact it worked for another 10 years and it still works. Sometimes you don't need an extended warranty but it was peace of mind for the first 5 years.
Greg.

Pretty sure the Costo SquareTrade one is for 3 additional years. Costco clearly states 3 additional years (on top of the 2 years Costco provides) for a total of 5. Of course if you buy from Amazon it's only a total of 4 years.
post #41 of 48 Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Yep, purchased it just before the 60 day limit and total of 4 years, 1 year manufacturer and 3 years square Trade, still an excellent deal for $100, their site is more than double that. Also got the $60 for my son's Samsung Plasma (less than $1K). I don't think you can beat the price. remains to be seen if it is in fact honored, but my preference would be that we don't need to use it. So far I have been more than happy with the Panny 65VT50 and the BDT500. My home theater has a breath of new life and I'm enjoying my DVD collection anew.

I highly recommend that if you are a Costco member that you should get the Square Trade Warranty even if you don't get your TV from Costco, I doubt there is a better deal around, if there is I'd like to hear about it.
post #42 of 48 Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

This might just be the reasoning for BB covering burn-in on plasma displays because it's highly unlikely it will happen therefore they have very little to lose due to the possibility of very few claims that will be made for burn-in.

Also I was mentioning that it's important to read the TOS on warranties before just taking the salesman's word for it at BB. There's always a stipulation. I took a look at BB's TOS for dead pixels and it states that it requires at least 3 dead pixels in a cluster on the screen before a repair will be done, but they don't state that their Black-Tie warranty sales PDF that I posted earlier..

Nah, we get a decent amount. Our 65VT50 display in the store has burn-in from the Avatar 3D menu. We have it looped all the time, yet it still happened. I've had a few customers have it happen to the VT30, but not enough to really scare you away from plasmas.

And they got rid of that 3 pixel in a cluster rule. They relaunched the protection plans, eliminated the name Black tie, and changed the rules. Now its 3 pixels in the entire screen.

The BBY plan is a personal choice, I never push it upon people. The biggest advantage of the plan in my opinion that I haven't seen mentioned is surge damage. I know a lot of the geeks on here probably have the better power centers like Panamax, but for the most part the customers I deal with refuse to get a good power surge and plug it in to the wall or some crappy Monster one. If the TV takes any surge damage or blows out, they fix it or replace it.

I personally don't see why anyone would get one of those extended warranties. Warranties only cover manufacture defects, which burn in and power damage are not.
post #43 of 48 Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Hello,

I purchased the PT65VT50 from Best Buy less than 30 days ago with a price match for just under $3K total after tax.

Am I understanding correctly that this Costco warranty will cover me: http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html ?
post #44 of 48 Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Glass View Post

Hello,
I purchased the PT65VT50 from Best Buy less than 30 days ago with a price match for just under $3K total after tax.
Am I understanding correctly that this Costco warranty will cover me: http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html ?

I would like confirmation this is correct as well. I am a Costco member and bought our new 60GT50 about a week ago from BB. Any help would be appreciated as that is a fantastic deal for 5 years of total coverage.
post #45 of 48 Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I found the information in this review of extended warranties very helpful: http://*******************.com/hdtv/warranty-reviews-mack.html
I'm seriously considering buying from Xpress Service: http://dtvexpress.com/xpresserv/extended-warranty-terms.html
Edit: Oops! The first link is to plasma tv buying guide dot com

I'm also looking at the xpressserv extended warranty. Them or squaretrade.

Does anyone have any experience with Xpressserv? I hear they specialize more in HDTV warranties as opposed to other electronics.
post #46 of 48 Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM

If you are interested in purchasing a Mack Cam Extended Warranty, TapeWorks Texas Inc is an Authorized Mack Cam Warranty reseller and can answer any questions or concerns you may have. Please PM me or send me an email scott@tapeworkstexas.com
post #47 of 48 Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post

I would like confirmation this is correct as well. I am a Costco member and bought our new 60GT50 about a week ago from BB. Any help would be appreciated as that is a fantastic deal for 5 years of total coverage.

Only TVs purchased from Costco get 5 years of total coverage from Squartrade. Tv's purchased anywhere else get 4 years of total coverage
post #48 of 48 Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post

Only TVs purchased from Costco get 5 years of total coverage from Squartrade. Tv's purchased anywhere else get 4 years of total coverage

Does anyone know where I can read more about this? I recently got a 55VT50 and it is the best TV i've ever owned. Since reliability can be unpredictable, I want to get the Square Trade warranty from Costco, but where is written that it is 1 year mfg. + 3 year square trade? I thought that Square Trade warranty begins at moment of purchase and 1st year overlaps mfg. warranty.

Can anyone please clue me in.

Thank you!

EDIT: Nevermind, it is right there at the top of the Terms and Conditions page.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page