AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic UT50 Settings/Issues Thread

327K views 2K replies 265 participants last post by  jnnt29 
#1 ·

The purpose of this thread is to share settings and discuss issues about the 2012 UT50 line. There's an adjustable 2pt white balance in the service menu for those that wish to take it further. Doing it yourself? Having a pro to calibrate? Share your results here for the owners to see and discuss.

*** Settings Under Construction ***

*** Updated 9/30/12 - Pre/Post Calibration Reports by D-Nice ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Settings for the following modes will be posted soon:

- Cinema mode (including white balance)

- 3D mode (including white balance)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread#post_22231120

Very interesting.

Where exactly do you select "Graphics" in the menu system on the TV?

Does it appear to be like increasing sharpness?

go to setting picture advanced picture options hdmi settings then content type select graphics option

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrahan75  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/0_100#post_22231310

go to setting picture advanced picture options hdmi settings then content type select graphics option
I tried switching the HDMI content setting there between Auto, Graphics, Photo - but from my HD DVR I couldn't see any difference at all.

Whats it supposed to do?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread#post_22231864

I tried switching the HDMI content setting there between Auto, Graphics, Photo - but from my HD DVR I couldn't see any difference at all.

Whats it supposed to do?

graphics setting is for "best on screen display" of connected equipment. basically setting it to graphics will turn off the auto function ,disabling the extra processing it takes for the t.v. to "think" what signal is coming in and providing the best picture.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9stooges  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread#post_22229452

Hey Neo, are you using RichB's 42UT50 SM settings on a 50UT50?

I was but then pcgeek suggested in the discussion thread that I shouldn't use the 42" panel's settings on a 50" panel. I've been using his but I think it looked better with RichB's. I was just wondering if you've tried pcgeek's SM settings and what you thought?

Rich B's calibration was for a friend of his and they look too cool and blue to me and there is still a green tinge to skin tones. I found mine from a review of a 50" uk UT50 and they look perfect to me,for instance i was watching prison break on netflix at the time when making changes in the sm and at stock and with rich b's the skin tones and sky had a green tinge to them and then i tried the uk UT50 settings and skin tones looked perfect aswell as pretty much everything. I wouldn't consider rich b's because skin tones looked terrible and i don't know why anyone would set the contrast to 95.

#33 ·
Hello...

I am trying to customize my settings as suggested by those here on this thread, but when I go to the advanced menu, I am unable to change/alter the Color Matrix, Black Level or the 24p Direct Input... These items are "grayed-out" and the selector just skips by them. Is there another setting that I need to change before those can be altered?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montavano  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/30#post_22251914

Hello...

I am trying to customize my settings as suggested by those here on this thread, but when I go to the advanced menu, I am unable to change/alter the Color Matrix, Black Level or the 24p Direct Input... These items are "grayed-out" and the selector just skips by them. Is there another setting that I need to change before those can be altered?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

you have to be in custom mode

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montavano  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/0_100#post_22251914

Hello...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Its normal for some items to be grayed out if they don't apply to the current video input and signal format that is currently being input.

Black level setting is for some types of HDMI inputs for example.

24p Direct input is only available if a 24fps signal is input like from a blu-ray player set for 24fps mode and playing a 24fps blu-ray title.

Most blu-ray players have to have a setting changed to output 24fps titles in 24fps mode, since the default is usually 60fps.

• Helpful
Reactions: LeonSKennedy
#37 ·
I recently purchased a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 (2 weeks ago) and I notice the word "MENU" is retained on my screen. Obviously I spent too much time adjusting the TV settings before the 100-hour break-in period. My question is, is there a way to reverse this? I've probably watched the TV for around 60-70 hours so far. Any help is appreciated.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguyf  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/0_100#post_22257501

I recently purchased a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 (2 weeks ago) and I notice the word "MENU" is retained on my screen. Obviously I spent too much time adjusting the TV settings before the 100-hour break-in period. My question is, is there a way to reverse this? I've probably watched the TV for around 60-70 hours so far. Any help is appreciated.
I've gotten that too early on when the TV is more sensitive to bright white text IR.

Run the slides during off hours when you are not watching regular TV, might take a few days to reduce the IR.

Minimize use of the menus during the first 100-200 hours.

#39 ·
"I recently purchased a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 (2 weeks ago) and I notice the word "MENU" is retained on my screen. Obviously I spent too much time adjusting the TV settings before the 100-hour break-in period. My question is, is there a way to reverse this? I've probably watched the TV for around 60-70 hours so far. Any help is appreciated."

The Disney World of Wonder Blu Ray has a great Pixel pattern that should remove this in no time.

Or you could try the Pixel Jogger that is free on this forum. I just would not run it too long. It makes me feel queasy!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406663/pixel-jogger-breakin-improves-pq-plasma-lcd-led-tv-the-only-way

-Phil

#40 ·
A free "pixel jogger" can be done by simply tuning to an non-existent analog channel with the TV's internal tuner.

You get random snow noise.

Be sure to disable auto shutdown for no input in the setup menu first.

#41 ·
Anyone else notice 1080/24p content looks a blurry in 60hz mode? The Samsung D7000 plasma that I have doesn't handle 24p like that, much cleaner. I don't have motion smoothing turned on at all, and have tried it in Custom mode and Cinema mode. Is there another setting I could be missing? Or should I change something on my PS3?

#42 ·
Interested in knowing web browsing capabilites - can the UT series play flash video ?

Aware of the youtube app but can it play flash video outside of the youtube app - can play flash video from the browser ? Web site flash files ? (Flash files that some websites use to display certain media - do certain site actions)

Thanks

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrano  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/0_100#post_22268084

Interested in knowing web browsing capabilites - can the UT series play flash video ?

Aware of the youtube app but can it play flash video outside of the youtube app - can play flash video from the browser ? Web site flash files ? (Flash files that some websites use to display certain media - do certain site actions)

Thanks

No, the UT50 models do not have a web browser at all in the Viera Connect internet apps.

There is a separate Youtube app, but it appears to only play the SD resolution/quality of an internet video even if the video has HD resolution support, but no way currently to select a different quality/resolution from the source video.

Only the ST50 and above models add a web browser internet app, but even those don't support adobe flash at all.

Plus the web browser has no way to go to a full page video mode, it can only show a smaller video window with the larger browser frame.

#44 ·

Quote:
Anyone else notice 1080/24p content looks a blurry in 60hz mode? The Samsung D7000 plasma that I have doesn't handle 24p like that, much cleaner. I don't have motion smoothing turned on at all, and have tried it in Custom mode and Cinema mode. Is there another setting I could be missing? Or should I change something on my PS3?

I thought it looked great.

Samsung might just do 24p better in this case.

I wish they would up the 48hz to 144 or whatever it is in the cinema to make it so smooth and make all that blinking go away.

But I am very happy with the 60 pull down on this TV.

#45 ·
I was skimming through the official UT50 thread and saw something about setting the TV to "nonstandard" and then set the PS3 to "Full RGB." (Graphics Mode, Custom)

I am not exactly sure as why one would do this even though I tried it and it looks great.

Anyways, I have both a PS3 and an XBOX360 running into a receiver and out the same HDMI cable to the TV.

So when I set it to "nonstandard", the picture got noticeably lighter (grayish blacks) as it did on the PS3 before I changed it to full RGB.

I am guessing that now I will need to do the same for the 360.

However, the only equivalent was the "Reference Levels" area where you have something like Standard,Intermediate, And Expanded I think.

Is this the same as "Full RGB" or is this the same as "Deep Color Output" on the PS3? (And now I am not sure what to put this on, on the PS3)

When I put the 360 on Intermediate or Expanded it seems to restore the color/black level but then I do not know what is what because of no explanation.

This all throws me off because I could swear that the Spears and Munsil guys said on their thread to put the PS3 on "limited."

Thanks to whoever knows.

-Phil

#46 ·
Cheers - think hold off for a bit - looks like still at guinea pig stage internet tv in the main - have the no flash problem with my ipad 2 - right royal pain.

Seen guy on youtube dissapointed his samsung would not play flash video on facebook - said sony the one togo for cause they have hooked up with google - and sony's play flash.

#47 ·
I just picked up the TC-P50UT50 and only had a few minutes to play with it before I had to run out the door. I noticed a lot of noise/graininess on the set. It didn't matter if it was Bluray over HDMI or DirecTV or Component or HDMI. I even removed all source inputs and just had the menu screen up and there appears to be considerable noise on the screen. The black areas outside of the menu look fine, but the menu itself seems to have some background noise. I can't notice it when I'm ten feet back, but up close I can definitely see it. Anyone else notice this?

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdaley  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/30#post_22286545

I just picked up the TC-P50UT50 and only had a few minutes to play with it before I had to run out the door. I noticed a lot of noise/graininess on the set. It didn't matter if it was Bluray over HDMI or DirecTV or Component or HDMI. I even removed all source inputs and just had the menu screen up and there appears to be considerable noise on the screen. The black areas outside of the menu look fine, but the menu itself seems to have some background noise. I can't notice it when I'm ten feet back, but up close I can definitely see it. Anyone else notice this?

I have the 60 inch, and I've never noticed an issue with noise. I have all the noise filters turned off as well.

#49 ·
I'm going to calibrate it sometime in the next few days, but I found it quite disconcerting that there would be noticeable noise/grain on the TV's menu itself. BTW this is the first plasma I've ever purchased and I don't know if there could be anything to this, but does it maybe need a break-in period? I thought the "warm up" issues with plasmas were pretty much a thing of the past.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdaley  /t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/0_100#post_22286545

Your description sounds like typical plasma dithering, its only noticeable up close to the screen - so thats normal with plasmas.

Watch it from several feet away at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.