Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1570 Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrahan75 View Post

do you have the hdmi hd size setting for the bluray player the same as for cable tv? player may have a size setting also. which player do u have?

Sony BDP-S570. The blu-ray player is on auto and I never had issues with my previous LCD TV. That is what makes me lean towards the Panny being the issue. However, not having this issue with HD cable makes me think it's the blu-ray player. Very odd, indeed. I am hooking up a separate blu-ray player tonight (PS3) to the TV. If the issue is still there, I think I'll swap the TV for another--might just be a lemon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1570 Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Well...the band I was seeing on the left side is almost non-existent now. It was definitely there with multiple blu-rays being played when I first purchased the TV, but now that the TV has warmed up and had some viewing time on it, it seems to have disappeared. Not sure what it was or why it was there. Kind of weird that it would go away completely seeing as it was always an issue with Size2 and went away with Size1.
post #63 of 1570 Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 AM

So yesterday I bought the 42UT50 here in the Netherlands. First off: what an amazing tv! Haven't got much time to fiddle around with the settings, but I noticed that PoN settings are for the USA models. Is there anyone who converted these settings to European settings? For example: my contrast can only go up to 60, instead of 100 for USA models.
Thans in advance!
post #64 of 1570 Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 PM

I'm also having the European version and i just can't find that custom mode that you're all bragging about! And also my numbers goes to 60 etc.. never to 100. I guess it has to do with that custom mode..

I'm connected to an AppleTV only, could that be a reason to why I cant find this "graphic" setting? under some obscure HDMI setting. Please help! I want what you all have!
post #65 of 1570 Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM

btw, my TV's full name is TX-P50UT50Y - would that be an issue?
post #66 of 1570 Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM

OK - so now I think I am starting to see the "oil painting" look on 720p sources.
Although some things look very sharp and detailed. (uncharted games are a perfect example, they exhibit both clear and oil)
For the Ps3, do you think it would "fix" this if the Ps3's scaler did all the work by only sending a 1080p signal to the TV?
Or do you think that the TV's scaler would be better and I might just be imagining this oil painting effect because I am not used to having a 60 inch TV?

The Beyond Good and Evil download is only max 720p and it is crystal clear so maybe certain things in the Uncharted games just look like the "oil painting" to me. Also, there seems to be an awful lot of JAGGIES in 720p, but not necessarily all sources.
post #67 of 1570 Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Are there difference pictures settings for 3D or are you folks just using a difference picture mode for when you view 3D content?
post #68 of 1570 Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I see that the settings are separate when 3D is enabled. I think I can only handle one 3D movie at most because of eye strain.
post #69 of 1570 Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

The WB settings are from the avforums uk UT50 review as it has wb settings in its menu
After days of trying different service menu white balance settings from dnice's st50 reference and out of box, and RichB's UT50 these look the best and probably the closest to the way they should be to me. I've watched about 4 hours of mixed content and the picture still has good warmth yet sky's are a more vivid realistic blue and skin tones look alot better with less green tinge and color is still good. Here they are if anyone wants to try them,they are my favorite out of all available.Also when you change the wb in the sm it changes it for all modes,just a fyi because i was under the assumption you could change it for each mode.
warm default
R-cut 80 +9 = R-cut 89
G-cut 80 -2 = G-cut 7E
B-cut 80 +2 = B-cut 82
R-drv FF -2 = R-drv FD
G-drv F0 -1 = G-drv EF
B-drv 7F +4 = B-drv 83
Cinema or (Custom with HDMI content set to Graphics) All other settings disabled. You can also put hdmi content to auto in custom and color at 43 if you want a little extra or more vivid color and brightness pop *kind of reminds me of an lcd* *HDMI Content type has zero effect in Cinema Mode* *wb settings for warm in the service menu are the same for every picture mode (vivid,standard,etc...) and adjusting wb in service menu changes the wb in every picture mode*
Cinema
Contrast 78
Brightness 52 any higher and i start to see dithering or pixel dance
Color 48
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Warm2
Custom
Contrast 76-83 your preference
Brightness 56 any higher and i start to see dithering or pixel dance
Color 48
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Warm2

If those were your defaults, mine were a little different, my G-DRV was at FF and B-DRV was 80. Not a big difference, but I thought I'd give your settings a chance. I have about 11 hours on my UT50 and I love it!biggrin.gif

Edit: I did notice that different color temps had different default values. As your instructions said I changed Warm color temp to your resultant settings.
post #70 of 1570 Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 AM

Any other European users in here? I really would like to know if any of you can get into that custom mode.. A mode which is nowhere to be found on mine. (bought in sweden).
post #71 of 1570 Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffejumper View Post

I was skimming through the official UT50 thread and saw something about setting the TV to "nonstandard" and then set the PS3 to "Full RGB." (Graphics Mode, Custom)
I am not exactly sure as why one would do this even though I tried it and it looks great.
Anyways, I have both a PS3 and an XBOX360 running into a receiver and out the same HDMI cable to the TV.
So when I set it to "nonstandard", the picture got noticeably lighter (grayish blacks) as it did on the PS3 before I changed it to full RGB.
I am guessing that now I will need to do the same for the 360.
However, the only equivalent was the "Reference Levels" area where you have something like Standard,Intermediate, And Expanded I think.
Is this the same as "Full RGB" or is this the same as "Deep Color Output" on the PS3? (And now I am not sure what to put this on, on the PS3)
When I put the 360 on Intermediate or Expanded it seems to restore the color/black level but then I do not know what is what because of no explanation.
This all throws me off because I could swear that the Spears and Munsil guys said on their thread to put the PS3 on "limited."
Thanks to whoever knows.
-Phil

giraffejumper,

Let me try to explain what those settings are.

"Limited" and "standard" means that the digital signal uses the range 16-235 for each of the RGB values. This means that each of the three primary colors (RGB) only has 220 shades (235-16+1). If you multiply all combinations of RGB shades, you get a little bit over 10million possible colors. 220^3 = 10648000 colors to be exact.

"Full" and "non-standard" means that the digital signal uses the range 0-255 for each of the RGB values. This means each of the RGB colors can have 256 shades. Which means you get over 16million possible color combinations. 256^3 = 16777216 to be exact.

So what does this really mean? It means that when set to "Full" or "Non-standard" mode, your display has the potential to display more colors, which can equate to smoother gradients. However, just because you set it to "full" doesn't mean it'll be better. In fact, it could be worse. The reason is that almost all production video contents are encoded using the "limited" range. By setting your PS3 and TV to the "Full" range, your signal range will be different than the original video source. This can cause even worse gradiation (banding) due to rounding errors when you remap 16-235 to 0-255. So when would you want to use "Full", you might ask? You'll want to use it for computer graphics that's not pre-recorded. This means a computer or gaming output. However, there are a lot of caveats. Many HDMI connection from PCs will default to the limited range by default. XBOX360 for example is "limited" by default and setting to "full" will result in internal remapping which can cause banding. I'm not sure what exactly PS3 does.

My recommendation is unless you know exactly what your device is outputting and you know exactly how the source material is encoded, it's better to stick to "Limited/Standard". In the case of your PS3, if you use it to watch videos most of the time, keep it in "Limited/Standard" as well.

Personally, the only time I use Full/non-Standard is when I use my TV with my PC. I ensure that my video card is outputting 0-255 and set my Panasonic to "non-Standard". In this mode, desktop graphics such as pictures will get the entire 16million colors, but my videos will still have banding.

So really, if you're using your TV to watch production videos, DON'T use "Full/non-Standard."

I hope this helps.
darcraver and Randomoneh like this.
post #72 of 1570 Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Liked: 19
Hi,

I have a 55ST50 right now and it's great. I'm considering a 50UT50 for another room. I know that the UT50 is lacking gamma adjustment but has a 2pt W/B adjustment in service menu. Can someone with a meter and a UT50 tell me what is possible with UT50s service menu's 2pt W/B capable of delivering in terms of accuracy and gamma? Ideally, if someone can upload a calibration report.

Thanks.
post #73 of 1570 Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo View Post

Hi,
I have a 55ST50 right now and it's great. I'm considering a 50UT50 for another room. I know that the UT50 is lacking gamma adjustment but has a 2pt W/B adjustment in service menu. Can someone with a meter and a UT50 tell me what is possible with UT50s service menu's 2pt W/B capable of delivering in terms of accuracy and gamma? Ideally, if someone can upload a calibration report.
Thanks.

I dont have that particular set but you should have no problems getting it dialed in either professionally or diy.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #74 of 1570 Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 15
Kanedo: thanks for the detailed post on colour space and the impact of using full with various source material, I was wondering about that the other day.

I picked up a 50UT50 on Monday and have been enjoying it with the settings in the OP (thanks Neo). One strange issue I've noticed though, and I remember it being discussed somewhere in the UT50 thread but cannot find the answer now:

When I go into Advanced, 3:2 pulldown is "off" and grayed out, I cannot change it to auto. 24p direct in is also grayed out (it's on 60Hz). I am using "Graphics" as HDMI type. The only sources I have for the TV right now are the Viera Netflix/VUDU apps and a Popcorn Hour A-100 media streaming box which has output set to "Auto", so the menus are 1920x1080@60Hz and content is x264 encodes using MKV container, usually in 24p which I believe the TV is displaying at 60Hz. Motion looks fine to me with PoN's settings, but I'm curious why 3:2 pulldown and 24p direct-in are not accessible, do I need to change something else to fiddle with those?
post #75 of 1570 Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe those settings will become available when a 24p source is detected. If your source device is already performing a 3:2 pulldown then the TV will receiving a 60 Hz feed and not have options available to change.
post #76 of 1570 Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Hello everyone, I've had my panny ut50 for 6 months and have loved it but as of late I have been playing borderlands a lot and as a result have gotten some stubborn IR at least I hope it's ir and not burn in... I've tried everything to get rid of it and when I think it's gone or no longer present on my Xbox dashboard which is where I see it it'll pop up on a white screen in a movie. I would use the whitewash continuously but the thing shuts off after 15 min. So ive been runnin the Xbox color display mode full screen ya know when ya listen to music. But I'm still having problems I know it's prolly not burn in cuz I left the tv on for about 30 min with the TNT logo and that left a ir image and I was able to get rid of that after acouple of days. But the borderlands ir I can't seem to shake is there anything else that had be done save sawing the set out for a new one. It is under 2 year warranty from bb. Has anyone else experience any lasting IR problems in your UT50 sets and waft you did to correct the issues. Any advice would be appreciated thx!
post #77 of 1570 Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM

Also I take it jacking the contrast all the way to the max is bad for gaming right. Plus dies anyone have some good settings for game mode
post #78 of 1570 Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I believe those settings will become available when a 24p source is detected. If your source device is already performing a 3:2 pulldown then the TV will receiving a 60 Hz feed and not have options available to change.

Thanks, you are correct. I set my media streamer to output 1080p-24p and now my 24p Blu-ray encodes allow me to set the TV to handle the 3:2 pull-down (60Hz) which looks good with only minor judder compared to my last LCD, or 48Hz 2:2 which looks smooth but has horrible flicker.

danny: Max contrast/brightness will probably cause IR faster, as will long (6+ hour) gaming sessions with a persistent HUD. What you can do is run a bunch of full screen 16:9 content (slides, TV/movies without station IDs) after your gaming sessions to wipe out the IR. Not sure on game settings, I think there might be some posted in the big UT50 thread. Borderlands 2 soon!
post #79 of 1570 Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
giraffejumper,

Let me try to explain what those settings are.

"Limited" and "standard" means that the digital signal uses the range 16-235 for each of the RGB values. This means that each of the three primary colors (RGB) only has 220 shades (235-16+1). If you multiply all combinations of RGB shades, you get a little bit over 10million possible colors. 220^3 = 10648000 colors to be exact.

"Full" and "non-standard" means that the digital signal uses the range 0-255 for each of the RGB values. This means each of the RGB colors can have 256 shades. Which means you get over 16million possible color combinations. 256^3 = 16777216 to be exact.

So what does this really mean? It means that when set to "Full" or "Non-standard" mode, your display has the potential to display more colors, which can equate to smoother gradients. However, just because you set it to "full" doesn't mean it'll be better. In fact, it could be worse. The reason is that almost all production video contents are encoded using the "limited" range. By setting your PS3 and TV to the "Full" range, your signal range will be different than the original video source. This can cause even worse gradiation (banding) due to rounding errors when you remap 16-235 to 0-255. So when would you want to use "Full", you might ask? You'll want to use it for computer graphics that's not pre-recorded. This means a computer or gaming output. However, there are a lot of caveats. Many HDMI connection from PCs will default to the limited range by default. XBOX360 for example is "limited" by default and setting to "full" will result in internal remapping which can cause banding. I'm not sure what exactly PS3 does.

My recommendation is unless you know exactly what your device is outputting and you know exactly how the source material is encoded, it's better to stick to "Limited/Standard". In the case of your PS3, if you use it to watch videos most of the time, keep it in "Limited/Standard" as well.

Personally, the only time I use Full/non-Standard is when I use my TV with my PC. I ensure that my video card is outputting 0-255 and set my Panasonic to "non-Standard". In this mode, desktop graphics such as pictures will get the entire 16million colors, but my videos will still have banding.

So really, if you're using your TV to watch production videos, DON'T use "Full/non-Standard."

I hope this helps.

Thanks! That is a great explanation. I have noticed that "Limited" seems to be the best all around for me and that setting everything automatically through 1080p on the PS3 was also a bad idea. I am letting them go to the TV as they were intended.
post #80 of 1570 Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM

Hey guys... dumb question. Where is that advanced service menu yall are talking about with respect to adjusting R-G-B 2 pt white balance settings? I read on this site Plasma tv buying guide it's supposed be in the custom mode options but I dont see it. Can anyone direct me screen by screen where you're supposed to go?

This is what it says here...

http://*******/5JCzu

TC-P50UT50 Picture Settings and Calibrations - TC-P42UT50, TC-P55UT50, TC-P60GT50

Calibration Notes: First off, note that this is not an extremely easy TV model to calibrate. It takes some time and work as colors are somewhat inaccurate/erratic. Follow our picture settings below for a pleasant surprise in how this TV can make a picture pop. Reds may at times appear a little over saturated, but it's better than under-saturated. Note: Ramping (read pumping or juicing) the phosphors like we recommend may slightly decrease their time to half life.

Picture Mode: You must be in the Custom Mode to make the following adjustments. These Pro Settings may not be adjusted in the other Picture modes.

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 79
Brightness: 63
Color: 49
Sharpness: 15
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
CATS: OFF
Mosquito NR: OFF
Motion Smoother: OFF
Black Level: Light
24P Direct In: 60Hz

Q: where are these settings below? Where in the Menu screens??

In Pro Settings Menu (2 pt. White Balance)
W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +4
post #81 of 1570 Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznnorth View Post

Hey guys... dumb question. Where is that advanced service menu yall are talking about with respect to adjusting R-G-B 2 pt white balance settings? I read on this site Plasma tv buying guide it's supposed be in the custom mode options but I dont see it. Can anyone direct me screen by screen where you're supposed to go?
TC-P50UT50 Picture Settings and Calibrations - TC-P42UT50, TC-P55UT50, TC-P60GT50
Calibration Notes: First off, note that this is not an extremely easy TV model to calibrate. It takes some time and work as colors are somewhat inaccurate/erratic. Follow our picture settings below for a pleasant surprise in how this TV can make a picture pop. Reds may at times appear a little over saturated, but it's better than under-saturated. Note: Ramping (read pumping or juicing) the phosphors like we recommend may slightly decrease their time to half life.
Picture Mode: You must be in the Custom Mode to make the following adjustments. These Pro Settings may not be adjusted in the other Picture modes.

W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +4

On the UT50, you have to access the service menu through a combination of button presses on the remote. Note that service menu is intended for technicians and is not user friendly, if you fudge up the settings you can essentially ruin the TV (if you are unable to fix the settings back to normal), so be careful. I'm not sure what you press to access it as I have no intention of doing it on my own.

Also note that those settings (white balance) are highly panel dependent (e.g. each individual TV has variance), so just taking those settings will not produce a "better" calibration on your TV. My advice: use the settings you've posted (I prefer PathofNeo's settings in post 1 of this thread) and tweak from there. Do not use the service menu without calibration tools (colorimeter etc).
post #82 of 1570 Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +4

You have to access the service menu to accomplish that, it is hidden and make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt it.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #83 of 1570 Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Does anyone have any experience using the UT50 connected to a computer?

Specifically, I have the panny connected via DVI to HDMI to a GTX 580. Video output is through Potplayer / MadVR set to 1080p, 0-255, 60hz.

When I use the settings here the colors look extremely washed out; blacks are grey etc.

Instead, I've been using the following:

Contrast: 85
Brightness: 56
Color: 48
Sharpness: 0
Black Level: DARK

Non-Standard
Graphics
HDMI Size 2

This looks really good, at least to me, but what I'm really wondering is why I have to set the black to level to dark. Does this have something to with the DVI to HDMI conversion?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any explanations or suggestions (IE I'm doing something completely wrong).
post #84 of 1570 Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Sooo, no one who knows the advanced service menu (the exact screens/buttons/menu) can tell me? Umm. ok... rolleyes.gif

ANYONE?? FOR THOSE WHO DO KNOW... does adjusting the RGB white balance settings make THAT much of a difference over sans adjustments?? ...OR are we just talking pixel peeping???
post #85 of 1570 Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sooo, no one who knows the advanced service menu (the exact screens/buttons/menu) can tell me? Umm. ok... rolleyes.gif
ANYONE?? FOR THOSE WHO DO KNOW... does adjusting the RGB white balance settings make THAT much of a difference over sans adjustments?? ...OR are we just talking pixel peeping???

The purpose of white balance isn't just to get "White," but to get D65 which is what directors use when filming. So you are producing the true colors intended by the director. Luminance and gamma are also important in getting a true linear white balance across the spectrum. The best way to learn how to access the service menu is to search google for the panasonic service menu tutorial. But as mentioned, unless you have a meter, you shouldn't use it.
post #86 of 1570 Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +4

That review must be for the UK model UT50 as it actually has a 2pt white balance pro menu, the US UT50 white balance can only be adjusted via the service menu.
post #87 of 1570 Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

That review must be for the UK model UT50 as it actually has a 2pt white balance pro menu, the US UT50 white balance can only be adjusted via the service menu.

That explains it. Thanks to all responders. Sounds like I'll just leave the asm alone and use @pathofneo's settings.
post #88 of 1570 Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM

I just powered up my new 55UT50. The picture mode is on standard, too dark. I see settings listed for a dark room. We will probably not ever watch tv in a dark room. What are recommended settings moderate to low lighting? Thanks.
post #89 of 1570 Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclem001 View Post

I just powered up my new 55UT50. The picture mode is on standard, too dark. I see settings listed for a dark room. We will probably not ever watch tv in a dark room. What are recommended settings moderate to low lighting? Thanks.
Standard mode is dark because it has CATS on for very low power.
Switch to cinema or custom mode for normal use and then tweak the settings there.
post #90 of 1570 Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slclem001 View Post

I watch the tele in a moderate to dim room, sometimes turning the lights off for the "theatre" effect. I find @pathofNeo's settings just fine (first post in thread). Plasma tend to be darker than LED anyway but you get used to it. His settings def make the images pop - esp. in 1080i,/HDTV channel/and source is filmed in HD. Otherwise, anything different the plasma will show the image as crap. Sucks cause you have to keep flipping through the remote until you hit those sources (channels that have those features). You find 90% of channels aren't HD let alone source images that arent taped in HD either... grrrr. Anyway good luck.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page