The Official Panasonic UT50 Settings/Issues Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1571 Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Would you be able to check your set really quick for any irregular bowing at the top and bottom? If your's has it too, then it may just be a "feature" of the set. I'll also check back at the store tomorrow and see how it is on their other displays.

Again I appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1571 Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just to make sure I know what you mean, you are talking about the black area between the bezel and the picture. The "No Man's Land" of the glass. In that area I have a perfect rectangular picture. I think if anyone else had this issue it would have been brought up here, and so far I don't think it has.
post #1173 of 1571 Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for checking for me.
post #1174 of 1571 Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Update: I just got back from Sears and all 3 of their display models has the bow. It's the same exact size and pattern on top and bottom. I checked other models such as the U50, S60, ST50, and a few Samsung plasmas that did not display this problem. This was inherent to the UT50's I've seen there.

So, if anyone is considering shopping around for one for 2013 clear out sales, then be sure to look for this problem. I'm going to be returning my set soon for something else.

The other UT50's also displayed the same odd motion blur that mine does. It's like, when an object moves fast, you'll notice the object itself kinda blur if the background is slow moving. I noticed if the background moves fast and has objects like mountain peaks, that a ghost image of said object will show green ghosting on the left and blue ghosting on the right of the object.

I didn't notice this as much on the ST50 they had, but the ST50's media player must have been messed up because the video that works at 60 fps on the UT series wasn't playing back full speed, so I'm not sure if this is just a plasma thing or not. I can't verify it for sure because of that problem. I couldn't test it out on the S60 they had, because it didn't have USB and I didn't have the videos loaded on a SD with me frown.gif

Kinda disappointed, coming from CRT to see issues like this.
post #1175 of 1571 Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

That's not the problem. The problem is, lets say my normal light output reading for Cinema mode is a FTL of 30. When I go to the service menu, it shoots up to about 50 FTL, even after switching Cinema mode. Vivid (the first mode Service switches to) is even higher compared to normal Vivid. It's like that for all picture modes. It also zooms in to like, HD Size 1 or something, instead of simply keeping the aspect as I originally had it. What gives? Is this how the TV's normally behave?

So again, how am I supposed to take accurate readings and make adjustments if exiting service mode is going to dim it by about 30%?

I had this same problem, but not nearly to the same degree as you. I had to take some readings while outside of the service menu, then go back make minor changes and switch back to get my greyscale all around 1 dE.

Now I have a new problem that started showing up around 1500hours or so... set now has 1710 hours on it and it's not getting any better... center of the screen has a huge pinkish patch, and the edges, especially the right edge has a green splotch.

I had a similar issue when I first got the set but it was gone after I put 80 or so hours on it. It was a green blob in the middle.

This new problem is bad enough I can notice it sometimes viewing normal stuff, on white backgrounds obviously it is the most apparent though. However, where it is most annoying is scenes with lots of clouds... I can tell the clouds near the center are pinker than the rest of the picture and the clouds on the right have a slight green tint to them.

Pretty disappointed as otherwise I love this set.

I wonder if this is covered by Panasonic's warranty? If not I'm going to be pretty pissed if it doesn't go away within another 100 hours or so.

I also do get buzzing in bright scenes, but I could live with it before... but with both the buzzing and the color weirdness with white backgrounds makes me want to get the set replaced.

I'm hoping these color blotches apparent on white backgrounds and white objects like clouds, white space ships, etc will go away like the original green "blob" I noticed when I first got the set go away after putting another 100 hours or so on the set. Otherwise, I'm going to be calling Panasonic looking for a replacement. Unfortunately I'm not feeling hopeful because the original green "blob" went away so quickly... it's been over 200 hours and these new blobs aren't showing any sign of disappearing.

Edit: I just noticed it clearly on someone's white shirt. Towards the middle of the screen the white shirt had a slight pink tint to it... and on the right edge it had a slight green tint. Also, I think the buzzing is a lot worse now than it used to be.

Does anyone else on this thread have as many hours on their UT50 as I do? Do you notice any color "blobs" with a totally white background? Again, mine is at 1710 hours now, first started noticing it around 1500 hours.

Is it possible Panasonic might cut a deal with me I wonder? Like if I pay the difference for a ST50 give me one of them, if they won't just replace my UT50?

Should have bought the Best Buy warranty frown.gif But the way I saw it, it was a waste with the extended warranty that comes automatically when I buy something on my Visa.

Quote:

The other UT50's also displayed the same odd motion blur that mine does. It's like, when an object moves fast, you'll notice the object itself kinda blur if the background is slow moving. I noticed if the background moves fast and has objects like mountain peaks, that a ghost image of said object will show green ghosting on the left and blue ghosting on the right of the object.

I didn't notice this as much on the ST50 they had, but the ST50's media player must have been messed up because the video that works at 60 fps on the UT series wasn't playing back full speed, so I'm not sure if this is just a plasma thing or not. I can't verify it for sure because of that problem. I couldn't test it out on the S60 they had, because it didn't have USB and I didn't have the videos loaded on a SD with me frown.gif

Kinda disappointed, coming from CRT to see issues like this.

I see this same effect sometimes but thought it was related to the dithering noise, it's still way better than LCD blur as the ghosts I see on LCDs are like triple ghost images.

And yes, everything is inferior to CRT except for the perfect geometry, size, and lower weight of flat screens. Modern displays are a mixed blessing at best, and at worst trash compared to CRTs. It really is sad. There isn't a flat screen technology out there than can give you the motion quality of a CRT. Except maybe one of those new "lightboost" monitors or w/e they are called. But as far as I know those are all awful TN panels which look trashy in every other respect.
post #1176 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned my 55ut50 because of a loud buzz and upgraded to the st model. I went through 2 of them. They both had awful IR and vertical bands on the right side. So be careful. I'm back to a 60ut50 and so far everything is okay.
post #1177 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 AM

Hi all

i am living in Egypt and i just purchased TH-P50UT50M after seeing all the good talk about it on the internet, but i got disappointed!

it seems my TV model (TH-P50UT50M) is a little bit different from the one which you are talking about (TC-P60U50).
there's no custom picture mode, and most of the settings you provided doesn't exist!

i don't know if anyone can help me, but i hope so!

Edit: Here it's the model
http://www.panasonic.ae/EN/Pages/TH-P60UT50.aspx
post #1178 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post

I had this same problem, but not nearly to the same degree as you. I had to take some readings while outside of the service menu, then go back make minor changes and switch back to get my greyscale all around 1 dE.

Now I have a new problem that started showing up around 1500hours or so... set now has 1710 hours on it and it's not getting any better... center of the screen has a huge pinkish patch, and the edges, especially the right edge has a green splotch.

I had a similar issue when I first got the set but it was gone after I put 80 or so hours on it. It was a green blob in the middle.

This new problem is bad enough I can notice it sometimes viewing normal stuff, on white backgrounds obviously it is the most apparent though. However, where it is most annoying is scenes with lots of clouds... I can tell the clouds near the center are pinker than the rest of the picture and the clouds on the right have a slight green tint to them.

Pretty disappointed as otherwise I love this set.

I wonder if this is covered by Panasonic's warranty? If not I'm going to be pretty pissed if it doesn't go away within another 100 hours or so.

I also do get buzzing in bright scenes, but I could live with it before... but with both the buzzing and the color weirdness with white backgrounds makes me want to get the set replaced.

I'm hoping these color blotches apparent on white backgrounds and white objects like clouds, white space ships, etc will go away like the original green "blob" I noticed when I first got the set go away after putting another 100 hours or so on the set. Otherwise, I'm going to be calling Panasonic looking for a replacement. Unfortunately I'm not feeling hopeful because the original green "blob" went away so quickly... it's been over 200 hours and these new blobs aren't showing any sign of disappearing.

Edit: I just noticed it clearly on someone's white shirt. Towards the middle of the screen the white shirt had a slight pink tint to it... and on the right edge it had a slight green tint. Also, I think the buzzing is a lot worse now than it used to be.

Does anyone else on this thread have as many hours on their UT50 as I do? Do you notice any color "blobs" with a totally white background? Again, mine is at 1710 hours now, first started noticing it around 1500 hours.

Is it possible Panasonic might cut a deal with me I wonder? Like if I pay the difference for a ST50 give me one of them, if they won't just replace my UT50?

Should have bought the Best Buy warranty frown.gif But the way I saw it, it was a waste with the extended warranty that comes automatically when I buy something on my Visa.
I see this same effect sometimes but thought it was related to the dithering noise, it's still way better than LCD blur as the ghosts I see on LCDs are like triple ghost images.

I just checked the run-time on my UT50 and it has 2407 hours on it with a build date is July 2012. My UT50 also has a slight pinkish tint in the center and green on the sides when viewing white slides. It is not something that is noticeable to me when watching normal content though. I recommend not watching the white slides for extended periods of time. biggrin.gif But seriously, I'm not sure if its getting better or worse. Let me know what Panasonic says if you have it serviced.

Good luck
LB
post #1179 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond1 View Post

Sorry but it can be the source material. There are some gorgeous scenes from this past season in Breaking Bad while banding and video noise in the sky is prevalent in Walking Dead. Same thing with some of the blu-ray transfers. I've seen some downright awful transfers causing awful banding and noise while others are pristine.
Umm I wasent saying source material cant cause banding , im saying MY banding IS NOT from source material. guaranteed 100% fact that mine isn't ive ran way to many tests and it has absolutely nothing to do with source material (in my case) I think I would know bro no offense. yes source material can have banding caused by the source, but in my case not to mention the 100s of posts about vertical and horizontal banding that came with the sets and not anything to do with the source...
post #1180 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post

I just checked the run-time on my UT50 and it has 2407 hours on it with a build date is July 2012. My UT50 also has a slight pinkish tint in the center and green on the sides when viewing white slides. It is not something that is noticeable to me when watching normal content though. I recommend not watching the white slides for extended periods of time. biggrin.gif But seriously, I'm not sure if its getting better or worse. Let me know what Panasonic says if you have it serviced.

Good luck
LB

Thanks for the info.

As far as having it serviced... I'm still mulling it over. I should also have been a bit more clear. I only notice it when there is a white background or say a totally white shirt, or totally white clouds for example. But the fact I can notice it during normal viewing at all, even if it is just when there is a LOT of white still peeves me. I have some vacation days in a couple of weeks, I'll probably give Panasonic a call then if it's still annoying me. There's also the buzzing too, but from what I understand that can be fixed by replacing the board or just a capacitor or something on the board. The color "splotches" though I'm sure would need a panel replacement to fix.

Another thing is... I don't know if it is my imagination or not... but it seems to have gotten a little bit better than it was after using the scrolling bar utility for a while.
post #1181 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I took the UT50 back. Traded it for a ST60, it was the only other model they had unless I wanted another UT50, of course all of the shared same problems. Really didn't want to spend that much on a TV but, over all, I'm feeling better about the ST60.

ST60 buzzes the same as my UT50, so I'm going to say this is just a plasma thing. I don't mind it, when I have my TV on I usually have music or something, which makes it inaudible. Just like the UT50, it is only during bright screens. ABL is much less a factor on this set, and I'm actually REALLY happy about that. The ABL on the UT50 was driving me crazy. The ghost trailing is still happening on this TV though, so I think it's just how plasma works.
post #1182 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I took the UT50 back. Traded it for a ST60, it was the only other model they had unless I wanted another UT50, of course all of the shared same problems. Really didn't want to spend that much on a TV but, over all, I'm feeling better about the ST60.

Definitely a great choice if you can afford it, for the price, it rivals the VT50. .
Moonchilde likes this.
post #1183 of 1571 Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Just for a reference, I'm seeing the same FTL pop and overscan bugs when going in to service mode. Not sure what's causing it. Also, if anyone is considering this set, HDMI 1 seems to have uh, an extra "sharpness" to it, like someone jacked it up big time. Even at 0 sharpness, you still get edge halos and stuff. HDMI 2 & 3 doesn't have this problem. Any other inputs besides HDMI 1 looks pretty good.
post #1184 of 1571 Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

Umm I wasent saying source material cant cause banding , im saying MY banding IS NOT from source material. guaranteed 100% fact that mine isn't ive ran way to many tests and it has absolutely nothing to do with source material (in my case) I think I would know bro no offense. yes source material can have banding caused by the source, but in my case not to mention the 100s of posts about vertical and horizontal banding that came with the sets and not anything to do with the source...

I find it hard to believe honestly because I'm very sensitive to banding, and that is one thing I do not notice on this set unless it is the source. Are you sure what you're seeing is really color banding and not something else? Real "banding" typically shows up more as circles or half circles in my experience, not straight vertical or horizontal lines. What you're seeing is probably something entirely different from usual "banding".
post #1185 of 1571 Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I find it hard to believe honestly because I'm very sensitive to banding, and that is one thing I do not notice on this set unless it is the source. Are you sure what you're seeing is really color banding and not something else? Real "banding" typically shows up more as circles or half circles in my experience, not straight vertical or horizontal lines. What you're seeing is probably something entirely different from usual "banding".
Naw bro, when it comes to panny sets, banding is considered the shadowy see-threw type banding on the right side, before claiming anything please do your research its all over this forum in the discussions thread esp. right side vertical banding def. has nothing to do with the source, this is a issue many many people have talked about not only in the ST models, but the UT as well... and other pannys... its only noticeable when the camera pans with a light colored background OR on certain break-in slides, consider your self lucky if you don't have it and im guessing you don't because you say your very good at noticing such things, ive learned to live with it, as ive returned my first UT50 and the second one had it, as does the display model in Future Shop, and many other UT50s people have reported on this very site. Panasonic has even claimed that its a manufacture defect that they have yet to 100% fix, some say its uneven power supply to phosphors, others say its the way the glass is pressed, its basically DSE and AR filter sets are not the only sets that can be affected by DSE, anything made with a glass finish can have it, pannys being worse then most, but with that being said, pannys have the best PQ and the best blacks for my money , so it weighs the bad, but to claim you find it hard to believe is sort of ignorant considering all the posts and research ive done on this subject, I would never waste my time claiming something that one wouldent believe, and im by far not the first to have this issue, its all over the discussion board, all over HDJ, many UTs are affected with it, and its barely noticeable, but it is in the same spot on the right side, on all sources if the pictures light enough to see it. thus having nothing to do with the source, esp. when I can see it in the exact same spot running break-in slides, playing the best transfers of blu-rays, and on cable or PC... its just how most of the UTs are built this year..some don't have it (apparently) and many do. its easy to get over, cause its basically translucent on most instances, either way im super happy with the TV, only thing I dont like is the right side vertical banding that at least 60% of purchasers have reported. but like I just said, the pros out weigh the cons.. so this will be my last post about the DSE banding. just got my 2 sets of 3D glasses, the sony 5100 BDP 3D, my harmony, and 300$ in the best 3D movies, including The Avengers, which I am very pumped to watch tonight keke;) just gota dial in Anikun's 3D values , and GG time to enjoy some 3D action. Haven't tried it yet, so don't bother quoting my post for a debate about the banding, it exists its not the source, even Laughing Budda has admited he has right side banding when he uses slides.. its not the source its the set. if ya don't have it, grats, if ya do who cares the tv owns anyways
post #1186 of 1571 Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

Naw bro, when it comes to panny sets, banding is considered the shadowy see-threw type banding on the right side, before claiming anything please do your research its all over this forum in the discussions thread esp. right side vertical banding def. has nothing to do with the source, this is a issue many many people have talked about not only in the ST models, but the UT as well... and other pannys... its only noticeable when the camera pans with a light colored background OR on certain break-in slides, consider your self lucky if you don't have it and im guessing you don't because you say your very good at noticing such things, ive learned to live with it, as ive returned my first UT50 and the second one had it, as does the display model in Future Shop, and many other UT50s people have reported on this very site. Panasonic has even claimed that its a manufacture defect that they have yet to 100% fix, some say its uneven power supply to phosphors, others say its the way the glass is pressed, its basically DSE and AR filter sets are not the only sets that can be affected by DSE, anything made with a glass finish can have it, pannys being worse then most, but with that being said, pannys have the best PQ and the best blacks for my money , so it weighs the bad, but to claim you find it hard to believe is sort of ignorant considering all the posts and research ive done on this subject, I would never waste my time claiming something that one wouldent believe, and im by far not the first to have this issue, its all over the discussion board, all over HDJ, many UTs are affected with it, and its barely noticeable, but it is in the same spot on the right side, on all sources if the pictures light enough to see it. thus having nothing to do with the source, esp. when I can see it in the exact same spot running break-in slides, playing the best transfers of blu-rays, and on cable or PC... its just how most of the UTs are built this year..some don't have it (apparently) and many do. its easy to get over, cause its basically translucent on most instances, either way im super happy with the TV, only thing I dont like is the right side vertical banding that at least 60% of purchasers have reported. but like I just said, the pros out weigh the cons.. so this will be my last post about the DSE banding. just got my 2 sets of 3D glasses, the sony 5100 BDP 3D, my harmony, and 300$ in the best 3D movies, including The Avengers, which I am very pumped to watch tonight keke;) just gota dial in Anikun's 3D values , and GG time to enjoy some 3D action. Haven't tried it yet, so don't bother quoting my post for a debate about the banding, it exists its not the source, even Laughing Budda has admited he has right side banding when he uses slides.. its not the source its the set. if ya don't have it, grats, if ya do who cares the tv owns anyways

No, actually... I think I know what you're talking about as I notice it a bit. But that's not what "banding" typically refers to... it typically refers to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Colour_banding_example01.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

It can also be caused by some other issue with a display, but the point is it typically refers to where color gradients end up getting turned into distinctive bands instead of having a smooth transition.

So calling what you're referring to as "banding" is going to confuse anyone who actually knows what "banding" usually means. What you're describing sounds like more of what I'd call a "uniformity" issue.
Rice Rocket and frogpond1 like this.
post #1187 of 1571 Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

Hey guys, I'm from Brazil and my English is not that good, so I hope you understand me!!

I have this UT50B 42", I have calibrated for gaming and movies on the "true cinema", but I'd like to try another calibrations, like this WB:

"AND THE MOMENT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR....

White Balance via Service Menu. I've calibrated both Warm and Normal to D65 and this is the closest I could get.

Warm Color Temp Using Cinema Mode

R Cut 84
G Cut 6E
B Cut 65

R Drive EF
G Drive FF

B Drive 96

All Cut 84
All Drive FF

Normal Color Temp Using Custom Mode

R Cut 7F
G Cut 6A

B Cut 60

R Drive EF
G Drive FF

B Drive 97

All Cut 7F
All Drive FF

I don't think it really matter which picture mode you use as long as the primary adjustments are accurate, WB shouldn't change much. Keep in mind that WB controls are very TV specific so just because this is what make D65 on my TV with 329 hours on it (I just checked and it was 329:00 ) "

But at my tv there aren't this letters on the white balance menu, there are just numbers, what have I do?

Or this calibration is not for this UT50?

What calibration are you using for PS3?

Thanks!!

Charles Randor
post #1188 of 1571 Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM

Yeah uniformity and banding are two seperate issues.

PSN ID: zapfrog

post #1189 of 1571 Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM

Hi all,

I purchased a 55UT50 a couple months ago from Costco and for the most part I have been happy with it. The one concern I have is with image retention. I felt I was being fairly careful about the content being watched but soon noticed that the Cartoon Network "CN" was noticeable on white backgrounds. Over the past few weeks it seemed that the image was fading but then got considerably worse after the kids watched more of "CN" (against my directions). It seems that it is fading quicker this time around though. I have been some running slides along with other content to mix things up.

Tonight I noticed that the words on the slideshow menu was retained when I first started a slideshow. Only visible on white backgrounds but still strong enough that you can read the words. It fades after a couple of minutes but this seems to be awfully sensitive to me.

My wife isn't too happy about needing to be careful about what we watch. I have about 250 hours on it right now and am still in the return period. I am considering exchanging it for another UT50. Do you think that the all the UT50's in general is this sensitive to IR or is it just my set?
post #1190 of 1571 Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

The UT50 seems a bit more sensitive to IR than the newer ST60 that I currently have.
post #1191 of 1571 Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandorBR View Post

Hey guys, I'm from Brazil and my English is not that good, so I hope you understand me!!

I have this UT50B 42", I have calibrated for gaming and movies on the "true cinema", but I'd like to try another calibrations, like this WB:

"AND THE MOMENT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR....

White Balance via Service Menu. I've calibrated both Warm and Normal to D65 and this is the closest I could get.

Warm Color Temp Using Cinema Mode

R Cut 84
G Cut 6E
B Cut 65

R Drive EF
G Drive FF

B Drive 96

All Cut 84
All Drive FF

Normal Color Temp Using Custom Mode

R Cut 7F
G Cut 6A

B Cut 60

R Drive EF
G Drive FF

B Drive 97

All Cut 7F
All Drive FF

I don't think it really matter which picture mode you use as long as the primary adjustments are accurate, WB shouldn't change much. Keep in mind that WB controls are very TV specific so just because this is what make D65 on my TV with 329 hours on it (I just checked and it was 329:00 ) "

But at my tv there aren't this letters on the white balance menu, there are just numbers, what have I do?

Or this calibration is not for this UT50?

What calibration are you using for PS3?

Thanks!!

Charles Randor

These adjustments are for the U.S. UT50 model. I don't know anything about other countries sets and their settings. Sorry. I also do not have a PS3 so I can't help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFor3 View Post

Hi all,

I purchased a 55UT50 a couple months ago from Costco and for the most part I have been happy with it. The one concern I have is with image retention. I felt I was being fairly careful about the content being watched but soon noticed that the Cartoon Network "CN" was noticeable on white backgrounds. Over the past few weeks it seemed that the image was fading but then got considerably worse after the kids watched more of "CN" (against my directions). It seems that it is fading quicker this time around though. I have been some running slides along with other content to mix things up.

Tonight I noticed that the words on the slideshow menu was retained when I first started a slideshow. Only visible on white backgrounds but still strong enough that you can read the words. It fades after a couple of minutes but this seems to be awfully sensitive to me.

My wife isn't too happy about needing to be careful about what we watch. I have about 250 hours on it right now and am still in the return period. I am considering exchanging it for another UT50. Do you think that the all the UT50's in general is this sensitive to IR or is it just my set?

I think this is just a part of plasma. I think with the kids watching CN a lot and other channels, LCD may be better for you. I almost only watch movies on my UT50. We don't have cable, and we never tune into any broadcast. So in that sense we never watch "TV." If it's not on disc or streamed, chances are we don't watch it. The best part is there will never be a TV channel watermark retained on our TV because of a show. The best best part is that there are no commercials. smile.gif
RandorBR likes this.
post #1192 of 1571 Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:

No, actually... I think I know what you're talking about as I notice it a bit. But that's not what "banding" typically refers to... it typically refers to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Colour_banding_example01.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

It can also be caused by some other issue with a display, but the point is it typically refers to where color gradients end up getting turned into distinctive bands instead of having a smooth transition.

So calling what you're referring to as "banding" is going to confuse anyone who actually knows what "banding" usually means. What you're describing sounds like more of what I'd call a "uniformity" issue.
Ya uniformity is def. a better answer then mine. Sorry and thanks, but the link you posted isn't that commonly referred to as color clipping? which can be fixed according to settings, but that doesn't matter cause I understand you know thats not what I was talking about, but ya I agree uniformity issues with the UT50 is common, I even checked out the Best Buy in Barrie Ontario 30 minutes from my home town, and there display model ALSO along with my home town Orillia's Future Shop both displayed the same uniformity issues, so Ive actually just learned to live with it... its barely noticeable now... one thing I know you guys must all get is fluorescent lights in movies giving off big blue laser like beams lol.. I know that cant just be my set its to extreme on the odd scene to vary set to set, has to be on all of them.. it seems like its built right in, like it also happens on dark scenes with car headlights, blue shines off it weirdly.
post #1193 of 1571 Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM

If banding is color clipping and can be fixed in the settings I would love to know how.

PSN ID: zapfrog

post #1194 of 1571 Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFor3 View Post

Hi all,

Use the zoom function when watching Cartoon Network. Then the worst you'll get is a tiny little bit in the very very corner that you won't notice.

Honestly, I always use "zoom" when watching a channel with a logo for an extended period of time. For video games I use my Optoma HD20 DLP projector.

I actually use my UT50 pretty much exclusively for watching DVDs, BDs and downloaded content like anime fansubs. Japanese television stations use logos which are far less offensive to plasma TV owners. I wish American broadcasters would learn from them. I've actually sent several bitchy emails to Cartoon Network about the fact their logo is absolutely the WORST of any station/channel/network as far as leaving IR on plasmas, but of course I get no reply. They care too much about their branding or w/e to ever change their logo to something which won't burn into a plasma I'm sure anyway.

I can marathon some Japanese show with their translucent/transparent logos and never get any noticeable image retention, even after like 12 hours of watching with the same logo in the corner of the screen. But Cartoon Network's logo, the various profanities I would like to scream in whoever's ear who thought such a high contrast logo would be a good idea... man....!@#!$@#$ Do they really think everyone will forget what channel they are watching without some freakin' massive opaque high contrast logo? Why not use some SMALL and TRANSLUCENT logo like Japanese stations do?!!?!!? I just don't get it!
post #1195 of 1571 Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM

I've been watching a ton of Star Trek: TOS over Netflix and last night put on my first movie in a while and noticed on the bright scenes that there is a tiny, say, 1 pixel bright vertical line on either side marking the edge of the 4:3 content I've been watching. You can't really tell much of a brightness difference - it's mostly those lines, and they only show on brighter scenes; otherwise, they're non-existent.

Does anyone know if that will go away? And does anyone have any tips for watching 4:3 content through blu-ray or apps? Do you just stay away from it on your plasma?

I don't think I can Zoom or stretch the image in Netflix's app, but I want to watch these damn old TV shows, but they're all in 4:3 and obviously this is going to get worse, and there's a lot of stuff I want to watch that's 4:3, like Star Trek: TNG.

confused.gif

I wish this TV had some setting to fill the edges!
post #1196 of 1571 Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM

I have a few questions...55ut50 here...

I've tried searching this thread for some answers but it seems to almost make me dizzy.

Where can I find a guide on making the adjustments/fine tuning and where are these infamous akunin settings?

I haven't messed around in my menus much at all. Mainly using the preset modes. How do I find the hours on the TV?

Basement System:
Panasonic P55UT50
Denon 1913
Micca 8" Center/Front/Rear
BIC F12 Sub
post #1197 of 1571 Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaplasmaguy View Post

I've been watching a ton of Star Trek: TOS over Netflix and last night put on my first movie in a while and noticed on the bright scenes that there is a tiny, say, 1 pixel bright vertical line on either side marking the edge of the 4:3 content I've been watching. You can't really tell much of a brightness difference - it's mostly those lines, and they only show on brighter scenes; otherwise, they're non-existent.

Does anyone know if that will go away? And does anyone have any tips for watching 4:3 content through blu-ray or apps? Do you just stay away from it on your plasma?

I don't think I can Zoom or stretch the image in Netflix's app, but I want to watch these damn old TV shows, but they're all in 4:3 and obviously this is going to get worse, and there's a lot of stuff I want to watch that's 4:3, like Star Trek: TNG.

confused.gif

I wish this TV had some setting to fill the edges!

There is... in the "aspect adjustment" you can set to "JUST", but that stretches the image. There is also a setting in the "anti-image retention" section of the menu that allows you to put up grey bars when you have the aspect set to 4:3. Although, I personally hate the built in one because it crops too much and it makes it annoying to view stuff with subtitles since they are so close to the very bottom of the screen, should be just fine for star trek though. I usually use mpc-hc and use some crazy setup to create grey bars myself though and only do some VERY minor cropping to kill the noise on the edges so I don't get those "lines" you speak of. But again... the built in grey bars in the UT50's settings should be fine for you... sorry if I'm rambling a bit... a bit drunk.

Oh yeah... and to get rid of the lines... just put up some white slides or scrolling bar utility for a VERY extended period of time... or just leave on some long full screen content running on a loop for a long time and it should eventually clear up... depending on how bad you made it, it might take like 200 hours... or as little as 1.
post #1198 of 1571 Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyDoug View Post

I have a few questions...55ut50 here...

I've tried searching this thread for some answers but it seems to almost make me dizzy.

Where can I find a guide on making the adjustments/fine tuning and where are these infamous akunin settings?

I haven't messed around in my menus much at all. Mainly using the preset modes. How do I find the hours on the TV?

They're earlier in this thread... the 2d ones are WAY WAY WAY back in the thread.... just search for all of anikun's posts and you should eventually find them.... They should be pretty good for the vast majority of US made UT50s... his Cinema mode settings had my greyscale dE's around 4... which is barely above the threshold the human eye can see... I brought mine down to 1dE or below with my own colorimeter though.
post #1199 of 1571 Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

They're earlier in this thread... the 2d ones are WAY WAY WAY back in the thread.... just search for all of anikun's posts and you should eventually find them.... They should be pretty good for the vast majority of US made UT50s... his Cinema mode settings had my greyscale dE's around 4... which is barely above the threshold the human eye can see... I brought mine down to 1dE or below with my own colorimeter though.
Thread number 855
post #1200 of 1571 Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Can anyone else confirm that the 3D just absolutely sucks on this set? I picked up Avatar in 3D, which I've also seen in theatres, and nothing jumps out of the screen whatsoever. It almost looks like nothing more than 2D to 3D conversion, just added depth is all I'm seeing out of this set. Going to Best Buy and putting my eyes through their mounted glasses on certain other LED sets gives that 3D pop that I was wanting, but I refuse to get an LED. And yes, I'm selecting 3D within the Blu Ray's menu, and hitting the 3D button on my remote to activate the 3D.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page