post #1261 of 1571 Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFor3 View Post

Try disabling the pixel orbiter under the anti image retention settings then switch back from HD size 1 to 2. My screen has a small gap around the screen as well. It is uneven when then the pixel oribter is on. Then equals out when I disable it.

Do this 1st, before reset to default, this has logic behind it, my suggestion, last resort.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1571 Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't think it's a very good idea to disable pixel orbiter. It's there for a reason. You increase your chances of image retention with it off, and there's no loss of picture quality with it on. It just shifts the picture left/right/up/down by one pixel every minute or so. It keeps in perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, because, I would assume the panel actually has a few more pixels on each side than exact 1920x1080. Sure the black borders with changing sizes might be a little annoying at first, but you get used to them.
post #1263 of 1571 Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 473
^^wouldn't hurt to try it, to see if his problem goes away, can always put it back on...

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #1264 of 1571 Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
Technician was supposed to arrive today but I got a call that he had a death in the family so someone else will be here tomorrow. As far as the pixel orbiter I turned it off and it seems to have solved the problem so far. First I am certain that these TVs do have a small gap between image and frame but it should always be the same gap at least during normal conditions . Since the pixel orbiter was turned off all the sides gaps have been identical, a bit less than a quarter of an inch all around. No matter what, now the gap is the same (except when the aspect ratio changes)

As a matter of fact, now when in computer mode the mouse stops at the edges, it does not go behind them, and the menus don't have cut off graphics. I still need to check the cropping image to see if there still is cropping occurring.

I will keep you informed.
post #1265 of 1571 Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM

I just ran the Spears and Munsil cropping image and guess what, absolutely NO cropping...I am so happy! ...before I was even getting 4 pixels crop on 2 sides...

No I wonder If I should cancel the technician, I really don't need him anymore. My TV is officially perfect!

Thanks to everyone that gave me ideas and contribute to fixing the problem.
post #1266 of 1571 Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Liked: 11
motion smoother on weak is actually wayyyy better, I dont know how people dont notice motion blurring especially in actors faces when theyre moving side to side fast enough... and the motion smoother doesnt take anything away from PQ , not that I notice, now obv motion smoother any higher then weak will create that soap opera effect crap, but weak doesnt and just makes motion look proper instead of juddery
post #1267 of 1571 Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Any motion smoother introduces interpolation, meaning you're not seeing the original footage the way it was designed, but with frames added or manipulated. A lot of people don't like that about it. Also, technically any modification of the original source reduces quality.
post #1268 of 1571 Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Ya I kinda agree now I turned er back off... I just cant help but notice this model does blur more then others on the same source, and youde think it wouldent considering the 600 hz or w/e... I just dont see how a plasma blurs when ive seen LCDs that dont.. but i dont care because PQ is amazing on plasma. but I hate when ppl move fast enough it blurs meh idk
post #1269 of 1571 Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM

I don't know why but I found out that game mode works best for my eyes. and even if I don't know why I have problems adjusting sharpness and everybody leaves it at 0, it works for me fine at 65. in 3d mode its almost the same but I also change in 3d settings the 2d to 3d depth to medium and now I almost don't see the crosstalk.

Picture mode - game

Contrast - 92
Brightness - 56
Color - 50
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 65
Color Temp - normal
Color Mgmt - Off
C.A.T.S. - Off
Video NR - off

HDMI Settings

RGB Range - Auto
Content type - Graphics

Advanced

Block NR - Off
Mosquito NR - off
Motion Smoother - gray
Black Level - Light
3:2 Pulldown - Auto

thanks in advance
post #1270 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Please assist with the calibration I used.

The problem I am having since the calbration is too much of a red hue or tinge in the picture. You see it in peoples faces as it is very noticeable in the faces. Also, for example, the red color that you see on the bottom of ESPN the red it too over blown.

How do I dial down a little on the reds with the calibration I used below?

The calibration I used came from:
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-u50-picturesettings I know the forum will not let me post the link, but it came from the *******************.com

I used it exactly how they put it which is:

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 64
Color: 49
Sharpness: 15
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
CATS: OFF
Mosquito NR: OFF
Motion Smoother: OFF
Black Level: Light
24P Direct In: 60Hz

And went into the Service Menu and adjusted the white balance like they had it:

W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +5
post #1271 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post

Please assist with the calibration I used.

The problem I am having since the calbration is too much of a red hue or tinge in the picture. You see it in peoples faces as it is very noticeable in the faces. Also, for example, the red color that you see on the bottom of ESPN the red it too over blown.

How do I dial down a little on the reds with the calibration I used below?

The calibration I used came from:
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-u50-picturesettings I know the forum will not let me post the link, but it came from the *******************.com

I used it exactly how they put it which is:

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 64
Color: 49
Sharpness: 15
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
CATS: OFF
Mosquito NR: OFF
Motion Smoother: OFF
Black Level: Light
24P Direct In: 60Hz

And went into the Service Menu and adjusted the white balance like they had it:

W/B high R +7
W/B high G 0
W/B high B +16
W/B low R +7
W/B low G 0
W/B low B +5

You can't adjust white balance accurately withouts a meter and software, there is panel variance even within the same model. You are better off just zeroing out the white balance and using a basic calibration disc to adjust brightness, contrast, color and tint.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1272 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Thank you for the followup I do appreciate it.

I do realize that each panel is different even though it might be the same model. The thing is everything else looks great. I just need to know what one might need to adjust to bring down some of the redish tone.

Would it be to dial down the: W/B high R? or the W/B low R? Or would moving the tint a little toward the greenish side take away the the reddish hue without bringing up any greenish hue?
post #1273 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM

I
Quote:

I do realize that each panel is different even though it might be the same model. The thing is everything else looks great. I just need to know what one might need to adjust to bring down some of the redish tone.

Would it be to dial down the: W/B high R? or the W/B low R? Or would moving the tint a little toward the greenish side take away the the reddish hue without bringing up any greenish hue?
I calibrated my 60u54 and 50u54 using click method with Anikun's settings and looks great, I would put everything back to default and use his
post #1274 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk111 View Post

I
I calibrated my 60u54 and 50u54 using click method with Anikun's settings and looks great, I would put everything back to default and use his
I did change contrast to 83 and brightness to 57 color to 49
post #1275 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM

TK111....I know and heard of Aninkun settings. But, what is "Click method" also, what Aninkun setting did you use? I tried his "Custom" setting and it just looked to dark, unnaturally dark to me. Did you use another one of his settings other than "Custom"?

I did not watch it a lot, just this morning, while eatting breakfast before work. But the setting from that website I posted above is pretty good. Just need to know where to start to try adjusting the redness to bring it down some.
post #1276 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes adjusting the red cuts and drives should have an effect but it may also impact blue and green in some way. Once you start adjusting hard to say what the net effect could be. Try warm1 maybe that might mitigate the skin tone issue.

post #1277 of 1571 Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post

1 & 2 Move you through the menus. Once at the White Balance menu you want to change the picture mode to Cinema

9 cycles the picture mode Vivid, Standard, Cinema

7 cycles the picture temp warm, normal & cool

3 & 4 Move you through the RGB Cut & RGB Drv <- This is where you will have to press the volume +/- to change the value (Make sure you record your defaOnce you are finished turn the TV off with the power button on the side of the TVof the TV.

What, what, what?

I turned off the TV with the power button on the remote. Please tell me it makes no difference between the power button on the remote or on the side of the TV to save what you did?

I hope I did not do all I did last night for nothing.
post #1278 of 1571 Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Yes adjusting the red cuts and drives should have an effect but it may also impact blue and green in some way. Once you start adjusting hard to say what the net effect could be. Try warm1 maybe that might mitigate the skin tone issue.

Warm1 helped A LOT......But, it still seemed slightly more reddish on the faces then it was supposed to be. Since you stated adjusting the red cuts and drives may affect the blue and green some way.

I adjusted down 2 times "ALL-DRV" and "ALL-CUT"....Wouldn't that bring everything down 2 times and keep everything in sync with each other?

Please advice Chunon
post #1279 of 1571 Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Warm1 helped A LOT......But, it still seemed slightly more reddish on the faces then it was supposed to be. Since you stated adjusting the red cuts and drives may affect the blue and green some way.

I adjusted down 2 times "ALL-DRV" and "ALL-CUT"....Wouldn't that bring everything down 2 times and keep everything in sync with each other?

Please advice Chunon

Yes those affect all three colors but I wouldn't recommend messing with them, no offense but you are shooting in the dark by playing around in the service menu without a meter, you could degrade your picture and if you don't know your default settings you may not be able to restore.

post #1280 of 1571 Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:

TK111....I know and heard of Aninkun settings. But, what is "Click method" also, what Aninkun setting did you use? I tried his "Custom" setting and it just looked to dark, unnaturally dark to me. Did you use another one of his settings other than "Custom"? I put his (new settings) in the service menu (cinema and warm) the click method is you adding or detracting the number of times he adjusted the w/b in each color and drive if he didn't adjust a certain color because it was maxed out at FF than leave that same color alone even if its not maxed out yours.

I did not watch it a lot, just this morning, while eatting breakfast before work. But the setting from that website I posted above is pretty good. Just need to know where to start to try adjusting the redness to bring it down some.
post #1281 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Yes those affect all three colors but I wouldn't recommend messing with them, no offense but you are shooting in the dark by playing around in the service menu without a meter, you could degrade your picture and if you don't know your default settings you may not be able to restore.

I thank you Chunon for the concern, but it seems I am already in too deep, as there is no way to go back to the default numbers in the W/B settings in the service menu. If I could then I would then leave it alone with the factory default settings, but again, from my understanding there is no "factory reset" for the W/B in the service menu.
post #1282 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thank you Chunon for the concern, but it seems I am already in too deep, as there is no way to go back to the default numbers in the W/B settings in the service menu. If I could then I would then leave it alone with the factory default settings, but again, from my understanding there is no "factory reset" for the W/B in the service menu.

If you display some sd content 480i or 480p you can see your defaults in the SD slot that is assuming you didnt change those.

post #1283 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:

If you display some sd content 480i or 480p you can see your defaults in the SD slot that is assuming you didnt change those.

No, I only did the tweaking on High Definition channels. So, your saying if I put my Direct TV box on a Standard Definition channel then go into the service menu, it will show me what the default W/B settings was for the High Definition channgels before I adjusted them?? Its that easy to get the default settings from the TV when it was shipped new?
post #1284 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I only did the tweaking on High Definition channels. So, your saying if I put my Direct TV box on a Standard Definition channel then go into the service menu, it will show me what the default W/B settings was for the High Definition channgels before I adjusted them?? Its that easy to get the default settings from the TV when it was shipped new?

Yes as long as your DTV box is outputting 480, you should see "SD" instead of "HD" in the service menu

post #1285 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Yes as long as your DTV box is outputting 480, you should see "SD" instead of "HD" in the service menu

From factory, when brand new. The "SD" settings for W/B in the Service Menu was exactly the same setting numbers as the "HD" settings in the service menu for W/B?
post #1286 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From factory, when brand new. The "SD" settings for W/B in the Service Menu was exactly the same setting numbers as the "HD" settings in the service menu for W/B?

Yes on every Panny I have ever owned since 2008 have never heard of it being different

post #1287 of 1571 Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 AM

Thank you sir....That is great news smile.gif
post #1288 of 1571 Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Panasonic Lost 7.3B in news today. I guess there will be some major changes. Get them while prices are cheap
post #1289 of 1571 Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

I don't think it's a very good idea to disable pixel orbiter. It's there for a reason. You increase your chances of image retention with it off, and there's no loss of picture quality with it on. It just shifts the picture left/right/up/down by one pixel every minute or so. It keeps in perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, because, I would assume the panel actually has a few more pixels on each side than exact 1920x1080. Sure the black borders with changing sizes might be a little annoying at first, but you get used to them.

Pixel Orbiter on my UT50 and VT50 does NOT keep perfect 1:1 mapping. Just run a full screen overscan pattern with pixel orbiter on, and you'll see that the TV's will move the image around with sides and top/bottom edge pixels cutoff. The panel really is only 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Edit: I guess technically, it still is 1:1 mapping, but with the orbiter on, some pixels on the edges are moved off the screen, resulting in a cropped image.

My advice is to disable pixel orbiter altogether. If you have a high contrast static image on the screen for a long period of time, it's just likely to "spread" out the IR, but it'll still be there. It's just physics--moving the image around a few pixels will only prevent IR if you move it more than the height/width of the object. For example, if you have a logo of a white square that is 16x16 pixels on a black screen, and the pixel orbiter only moves 4 pixels in any direction, you'd still end up with an 8x8 pixel area in the center that remains white regardless. And if you left it on for an extended period, your IR would now be 24x24 pixels instead of 16x16 pixels.

You'd be better off to make sure that you have a screen saver enabled on your source. Pixel orbiter does little to nothing in decreasing your chances of IR, and it DOES affect picture "quality" in that it crops the image at the very least.
post #1290 of 1571 Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi, I picked up a TC-P60U50 from Walmart that was on clearance. The whites were all bright and clipped, so I went to the service menu and changed the WB to what was recommended.

It is connected to a Mediacom Motorola HD box.

I would like to calibrate it with WoW, but I've never done calibration and not sure how to approach it...

When I go through the basic settings in WoW, do I adjust the WB in the service menu? or do I try to use the picture controls in the regular menu? Can someone point me to a tutorial?

Is there a way to 'reset' the TV to factory defaults of some sort and start fresh? not sure what the Walmart people did to it.

I did check the runtime in the service menu and it is close to 5000 hours. How much life should I expect it to last? I did get a 3-yr warranty for it through Walmart.

The other issue I have is the glare during the day, the TV is sitting right across from a large window. I'm thinking about hanging it with a tilt/swivel mount. Do you think that would do the trick and eliminate the glare? Any recommended wall mounts?

Thanks,

Maor

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page