Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1563 Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Call 'em, worst they can say is NO

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1563 Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I've had the 55UT50 for about 4 months now and overall I've had no problems with it. But yesterday I started having two problems at the same time.

I've got the set connected to my home theater system via HDMI through the HDMI2 connection (it has ARC) so I can get my netflix and other streaming audio through the home theater system.

But yesterday the ARC stopped working as well as the turning on/off the reciever.

I've checked the connection and vieria connect and other settings and all of them seem just fine.

Has anyone else encountered this?

What can I do to fix it?
post #1443 of 1563 Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sancho gave you a suggestion on the Series Discussion. smile.gif
post #1444 of 1563 Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Liked: 10
I saw that and responded. Didn't know the best place to post the issue.
post #1445 of 1563 Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Everyone,

I am considering purchasing a Panasonic TC-P55UT50 that has some burn-in. The price is very competitive, and I am wondering if there are any tips on getting rid of IR. I have heard that with enough time, any IR can be eliminated. Apparently, the IR on the TV is a Pandora logo from running the app. Would this be something that I could get rid of through slides? Any input is welcome. Thanks for your help.
post #1446 of 1563 Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I would recommend making sure you have a return policy and if ypu decide to get it then play all kinds of mixed content with contrast at 100 on vivid mode. I don't have much experienxe with IR but if high contrast and brightness can cause IR more easily, then I expect it should help remove it too.
post #1447 of 1563 Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I would recommend making sure you have a return policy and if ypu decide to get it then play all kinds of mixed content with contrast at 100 on vivid mode. I don't have much experienxe with IR but if high contrast and brightness can cause IR more easily, then I expect it should help remove it too.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a return policy because he's selling it at a heavily discounted price due to the burn-in. I've done some research, and it seems that most IR can be eliminated with time, so that's what I'm hoping happens with this TV, and I was hoping to see if anyone here had similar experiences with their UT50 models.
post #1448 of 1563 Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

When I run Pandora, I use a cheap 19" HDTV & turn the 60" Plasma on Baseball or OFF.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #1449 of 1563 Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

When I run Pandora, I use a cheap 19" HDTV & turn the 60" Plasma on Baseball or OFF.

Totally agree. Hopefully, it isn't too bad and I can get rid of the IR.
post #1450 of 1563 Old 07-30-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes hopefully

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #1451 of 1563 Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hi guys, I've got the 60UT50 and it is fantastic in a light controlled environment. I have recently started having a problem where the various inputs aren't holding their settings anymore. Anyone had this problem and is there a fix? I also noted ( maybe unrelated) that there is not noise when I turn it on like there used to be. Now it is dead silent and I don't know if I've turned it on until after a few seconds when the picture shows up. Any thoughts?
post #1452 of 1563 Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Hi guys, I've got the 60UT50 and it is fantastic in a light controlled environment. I have recently started having a problem where the various inputs aren't holding their settings anymore. Anyone had this problem and is there a fix? I also noted ( maybe unrelated) that there is not noise when I turn it on like there used to be. Now it is dead silent and I don't know if I've turned it on until after a few seconds when the picture shows up. Any thoughts?

I have noticed on occasion that when switching between inputs that the picture isn't correct, but if I cycle through them the picture returns to normal. eek.gif
post #1453 of 1563 Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Call 'em, worst they can say is NO

Well I called the repair place on Tuesday and they said they were waiting to hear back from Panasonic. I meant to call them Friday but I''ve been out of town. Since it's a Sunday I called Panasonic and asked for a loaner, but they said the service company I'm working with has to supply it and only if they have one available.
So I finally just asked him to escalate the case since the repair guy said he was still waiting on a response from Panasonic last I called him and they claim I'll get a response within 48 hours.
post #1454 of 1563 Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcast5201 View Post

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a return policy because he's selling it at a heavily discounted price due to the burn-in. I've done some research, and it seems that most IR can be eliminated with time, so that's what I'm hoping happens with this TV, and I was hoping to see if anyone here had similar experiences with their UT50 models.

All of my IR has faded in time, but depending on the severity it might take hundreds or even thousands of hours in the worst case scenario.

However ,be careful of other defects, when I first got mine I noticed a green "blob" when running the scrolling bar utility, but it went away after 80 hours of use so I just assumed it was fine and needed to age a bit, but then at around 2000+ hours or so I started to develop a pink blob visible on a pure white screen and green edges. After some more time it got worse and worse until I could tell a visible difference in clouds in the sky... any in the center will be pinkish and ones on the edges greenish/yellowish. Same goes for people wearing white shirts. Now I can even tell in skin tones if someone's face is near the edge of the screen I can tell part of their face is pink tinted and the other side green tinted.

I've seen uniformity issues like this before, my Optoma HD20 DLP projector has a similar issue with the right side being greenish and the left side being pinkish, but it's not as pronounced so I can live with it... However, it's gotten so bad on my UT50 it looks like someone has pissed down the side of my screen (but a bit more green than yellow) and I want nothing more to do with the TV.

If Panasonic won't replace mine I'll gladly sell you mine for cheap and then buy another TV (not Panasonic). If they replace it with an ST60 that is acceptable I'd be happy though and continue to recommend Panasonic. Again though, if they don't, I'm going to be very unhappy and definitely hold a grudge against Panasonic because this kind of defect is not acceptable especially for a company that sells TVs with special THX menus with special color fine tuning adjustments, only to say it's "normal" for a TV to have variances in panel color uniformity which have to be at least equal to like a deltaE of 20 or something, if not more.

I really get the feeling the UT50 is a bit lackluster compared to some of their 2011's and 2013s... in general I've been unimpressed with Panasonic's 2012 models and I would recommend just getting an ST60 or something instead. The UT50's whites always look dingy because ABL kicks in way too easily and often, even before I started getting the horrible color uniformity issues.

I was quite happy though until I started to get this pink center and green edges issue, but right now I'm pissed it's been two weeks since I've called them and I've gotten no response on what they are going to do about it. Just a repair guy replacing two boards over a week ago which I knew wasn't going to do anything as the problem looks like a panel defect and now I've been waiting over a week since then just to find out what they are going to do for me.
post #1455 of 1563 Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post

All of my IR has faded in time, but depending on the severity it might take hundreds or even thousands of hours in the worst case scenario.

However ,be careful of other defects, when I first got mine I noticed a green "blob" when running the scrolling bar utility, but it went away after 80 hours of use so I just assumed it was fine and needed to age a bit, but then at around 2000+ hours or so I started to develop a pink blob visible on a pure white screen and green edges. After some more time it got worse and worse until I could tell a visible difference in clouds in the sky... any in the center will be pinkish and ones on the edges greenish/yellowish. Same goes for people wearing white shirts. Now I can even tell in skin tones if someone's face is near the edge of the screen I can tell part of their face is pink tinted and the other side green tinted.

I've seen uniformity issues like this before, my Optoma HD20 DLP projector has a similar issue with the right side being greenish and the left side being pinkish, but it's not as pronounced so I can live with it... However, it's gotten so bad on my UT50 it looks like someone has pissed down the side of my screen (but a bit more green than yellow) and I want nothing more to do with the TV.

If Panasonic won't replace mine I'll gladly sell you mine for cheap and then buy another TV (not Panasonic). If they replace it with an ST60 that is acceptable I'd be happy though and continue to recommend Panasonic. Again though, if they don't, I'm going to be very unhappy and definitely hold a grudge against Panasonic because this kind of defect is not acceptable especially for a company that sells TVs with special THX menus with special color fine tuning adjustments, only to say it's "normal" for a TV to have variances in panel color uniformity which have to be at least equal to like a deltaE of 20 or something, if not more.

I really get the feeling the UT50 is a bit lackluster compared to some of their 2011's and 2013s... in general I've been unimpressed with Panasonic's 2012 models and I would recommend just getting an ST60 or something instead. The UT50's whites always look dingy because ABL kicks in way too easily and often, even before I started getting the horrible color uniformity issues.

I was quite happy though until I started to get this pink center and green edges issue, but right now I'm pissed it's been two weeks since I've called them and I've gotten no response on what they are going to do about it. Just a repair guy replacing two boards over a week ago which I knew wasn't going to do anything as the problem looks like a panel defect and now I've been waiting over a week since then just to find out what they are going to do for me.

Best of luck to you getting this fixed. Keep us updated. smile.gif I know the right edge of my panel is 10-15 F degrees hotter than the rest of the TV and Panasonic said this is not normal but I'm concerned I would have to go through the same rigamarole as your going through. Obviously I hope this doesn't affect the TV long term, but I'm also concerned they if someone "fixes" it that it gets fixed improperly and that creates another issue all together.
post #1456 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 AM

Im trying to connect the HTPC on my UT50, but when i do through the VGA port, the max resolution achieved is 1366x768 and the 3D Function doesnt work, and when i use the HDMI i can set to 1080p, but the image cant cover the whole screen, theres black border in top and sides. i tryied to disable overscan, setting the aspect ratio to just but none of this worked

Another problem is that when i play a 3d video SBS from HTPC the 3d Function doesnt work as expected! it does not align the images right, causing a very strange feeling when using the glasses

Theres a way to use a HTPC on this TV?
post #1457 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafanake View Post

Im trying to connect the HTPC on my UT50, but when i do through the VGA port, the max resolution achieved is 1366x768 and the 3D Function doesnt work, and when i use the HDMI i can set to 1080p, but the image cant cover the whole screen, theres black border in top and sides. i tryied to disable overscan, setting the aspect ratio to just but none of this worked

Another problem is that when i play a 3d video SBS from HTPC the 3d Function doesnt work as expected! it does not align the images right, causing a very strange feeling when using the glasses

Theres a way to use a HTPC on this TV?

There's no need to double post, I think everyone who reads this thread reads th series discussion, too.

Anyway, it sounds like you're having trouble getting you computer to work with the TV. If your using HDMI, I don't recall the US model having VGA for an input, you shouldn't be having problems. What kind of GPU are you using? Make sure it's at 1080x1920 and check for scaling or screen adjustments.
post #1458 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Sorry about the double post thing

In Fact im with a Brazilian version, and this one have VGA port, but in a very low resolution plus no 3D Support. so im using HDMI.
The GPU is an HD4670 with windows 7 stock drivers, when i arrive home ill try the catalyst drivers.

"check for scaling or screen adjustments" Where can i do this?

About the weird 3D SBS, i made a picture to illustrate the problem.

http://adminpanel.com.br/teste/ut50_3d.jpg
post #1459 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post

Thanks for the info and the offer! Luckily, I was able to find a brand new P55UT50 for $540! Found the ad on Craigslist and I was a bit skeptical, but the TV was new and it works great. Just finished the break-in process and adjusted it using anikun07's settings and I have been very impressed. I went into the service menu today to check the total amount of hours and got 126, so it may have been used for a few hours just before I purchased it, which I'm OK with.

The only other adjustment I am considering is adjusting the WB through the service menu. For those who have changed the WB, is it that much better? I don't want to brick my TV, but I want to have the best picture possible on my TV. Thanks for the help. Glad to join the UT50 club!
post #1460 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:

In Fact im with a Brazilian version, and this one have VGA port, but in a very low resolution plus no 3D Support. so im using HDMI.
The GPU is an HD4670 with windows 7 stock drivers, when i arrive home ill try the catalyst drivers.

You can change scaling options in CCC (Catalyst Control Center), under Display Options I believe. I use my HTPC with the P55UT50, and HDMI is definitely the way to go. Make sure the resolution is set at 1920x1080 like Anikun said. Also, under Aspect Adjustments (which is found in the video settings, change the size to Size 2. What part of Brazil are you from? Eu morei em Recife por dois anos. Saudades!
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #1461 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I have a 5770, this is where I remove the under-scan:

I've never tried connecting a PC to the TV (I have the TC-P60U50 model), so I can't give you a 100% answer...

post #1462 of 1563 Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Thank you guys, CCC did the job!
The 3d still with the same problem, ill try others player and codecs

ajcast5201 im in São Paulo! E que sorte a sua ter morado em um lugar tão bonito quanto Recife.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #1463 of 1563 Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM

I solved the 3D problem

What was causing the issue is the Overscan + HSBS movie
Now im using this config to get both Fullscreen Fill and 3D SBS

On CCC
Turn on scale and set overcan to 0%

On TV
Aspect Ratio 16:9, overscan disabled!

Now its perfect, thanx everyone for the help

What is the better input method for htpc, im using hyppovnc on iphone but its extremely slow
post #1464 of 1563 Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks, gotta remember to check that every once in a while, to make sure it did get on by accident...

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #1465 of 1563 Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I never understood why CCC always underscans when plugged into a TV. Every re-installation of drivers always "defaults" that crap. And it makes me mad!! tongue.gif
post #1466 of 1563 Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Owner of 50UT50 almost since 14 months and recently started having high buzzing. At the beginning, there was normal buzzing as most of the Plasma does but hardly noticeable, but now while watching normal content too, it is buzzing loudly (Now my wife also able to identify even though seating distance is more than 10 feet). Not sure if anybody else having such issue and if so any handy solution other than go through warranty repair? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated
post #1467 of 1563 Old 08-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I never understood why CCC always underscans when plugged into a TV. Every re-installation of drivers always "defaults" that crap. And it makes me mad!! tongue.gif

Yeah, beats the hell out of me... It might have been useful in the CRT/DLP days, but that concept should be long-gone...

post #1468 of 1563 Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhatt View Post

Owner of 50UT50 almost since 14 months and recently started having high buzzing. At the beginning, there was normal buzzing as most of the Plasma does but hardly noticeable, but now while watching normal content too, it is buzzing loudly (Now my wife also able to identify even though seating distance is more than 10 feet). Not sure if anybody else having such issue and if so any handy solution other than go through warranty repair? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated

I would contact Panasonic. It's been posted that the procedure is a quick and pain-free experience when Panasonic sends a repair tech out.
post #1469 of 1563 Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhatt View Post

Quote:

I would contact Panasonic. It's been posted that the procedure is a quick and pain-free experience when Panasonic sends a repair tech out.

I believe it is a screw issue, might even be something like putting lock tight on them or something?

It would be nice if someone actually posted exactly what screws or washers they either replaced or added, some of these sets are eventually going to be out of warranty when it happens and it should be easy for just about anyone to do without a paid service call.

1. pictures please
2. parts needed please.

Thank You
post #1470 of 1563 Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Best of luck to you getting this fixed. Keep us updated. smile.gif I know the right edge of my panel is 10-15 F degrees hotter than the rest of the TV and Panasonic said this is not normal but I'm concerned I would have to go through the same rigamarole as your going through. Obviously I hope this doesn't affect the TV long term, but I'm also concerned they if someone "fixes" it that it gets fixed improperly and that creates another issue all together.

Well it's been less than a month since I first contacted them and according to Panasonic who I just got off the phone with, they are going to be sending the TV repair place a new unit to give to me. I asked for a 50" ST60 as a replacement for the 50" UT50... is that what I'm getting? Who knows. Guess I'll find out before too long.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page