Help! False contouring on Samsung plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok. So I got a new Samsung plasma over the weekend. PN64E550. The picture looks beautiful with bluray but my Directv leaves a lot to be desired. I seem to be having issues with false contouring/posterization. Specifically dark scenes and faces. Is this an issue with the tv itself or is this source related?? I have tried different hdmi cables and bypassing my Denon receiver which is pass thru only. Nothing seems to help.

Bluray is great. 3D looks good. 720p bluray rips via apple tv look pretty good. Some artifact there but it may be due to the encode and compression. SD content looks pretty bad as usual.

I'm on my 5th set in the past month after 4 defective LGs and the wife is ready to kill me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If bluray is good then it must be your directv setup. What system do you have? What resolution is your directv box set to? Is it happening on all channels, with all programs? How are your signal readings?

post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

If bluray is good then it must be your directv setup. What system do you have? What resolution is your directv box set to? Is it happening on all channels, with all programs? How are your signal readings?

Its the H24 I do believe. 2nd room in the house using whole home DVR. About a year old. I've tried both 720p and 1080i with no change. Signals are all in the 90s. Mainly notice it with HD channels. Dark areas. HBO HD on scenes from true blood, Harry potter , etc. Happens on most every channel.

So since the bluray looks good it shouldn't be the tv itself correct?? Source issue??

post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
BitRate starvation. Most compression schemes suck at dark gradients unless you throw enough bits at them.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Its the H24 I do believe. 2nd room in the house using whole home DVR. About a year old. I've tried both 720p and 1080i with no change. Signals are all in the 90s. Mainly notice it with HD channels. Dark areas. HBO HD on scenes from true blood, Harry potter , etc. Happens on most every channel.

So since the bluray looks good it shouldn't be the tv itself correct?? Source issue??

HBO has been known not to have the best signal. Watching Big Love made me buy a new tv and it turned out to be mostly some of HBOs programming and of course SD channels.

You have a good system and signals so if it isn't raining then it must be the source. I haven't had directv for a few months now and the shows & movies have been few where I've seen such problems. I have the GT50.

What size tv did you have before? Do you think that you're just now seeing a problem that is being magnified?

post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had a 720p Panasonic plasma which is now in the living room and looks fine. I also had a 720p epson front projector which I got rid of. Looked ok too. Now I have the 64 inch Samsung and I'm noticing artifacts. Bright scenes look fine. It's mainly darker scenes and faces. Mad Men looked horrible but I know that AMC HD leaves a lot to be desired. My bluray rips always looked great but now I am seeing artifacts I didn't notice before. When I go back to my iMac display and look I can now see what is duplicated on my plasma. Is it possible that I am now seeing on the 64inch 1080p display defects that were always there but I just am now noticing? I am just finding it hard to believe that all sources short of bluray have noticeable defects.

I guess I should add that the artifacts I'm seeing on the bluray rips from the apple tv are similar to Directv just not as noticeable.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I love Mad Men and it looks much better on Charter than it did on Directv and The Killing was horrible but now it's just amazing.

I think it's compression. I know that people swear by directv and I did love having it, wouldn't have left if not for a tree on the highway. However, I now find myself looking forward to Charter's goal of having 100 hd channels by the end of the year. I think the amplifier they installed is making my experience even better than I remembered it.

Have you tried posting this problem on directv's forums? There are a couple of really good techs over there that might be able to offer suggestions.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

BitRate starvation. Most compression schemes suck at dark gradients unless you throw enough bits at them.

I don't know how I missed this. Too bad there's not a thumbs up smilie because I'd post it here.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Once again, thanks for the replies.

So I got up this morning and went to the Panny in the living room. Well, when I bought this set 7 years ago, I didn't know near as much about HT as I do now. I actually plugged in some settings from tweaktv and forgot about it. It looked pretty good. Honestly I spent most of my time messing with projectors and just didn't give much concern to the tv.

Well the issues I have on the Samsung are present on the Panny as well. The reason I really didn't notice is that I've had mpeg reduction on this whole time, the brightness was cranked down and the sharpness was way down as well.

I changed modes and adjusted the picture more in line with how the new Sammy looks. It's definitely source related. The larger, brighter, sharper 1080p panel makes it much more noticeable. Guess I could have saved a post if I would have checked that earlier.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Once again, thanks for the replies.

So I got up this morning and went to the Panny in the living room. Well, when I bought this set 7 years ago, I didn't know near as much about HT as I do now. I actually plugged in some settings from tweaktv and forgot about it. It looked pretty good. Honestly I spent most of my time messing with projectors and just didn't give much concern to the tv.

Well the issues I have on the Samsung are present on the Panny as well. The reason I really didn't notice is that I've had mpeg reduction on this whole time, the brightness was cranked down and the sharpness was way down as well.

I changed modes and adjusted the picture more in line with how the new Sammy looks. It's definitely source related. The larger, brighter, sharper 1080p panel makes it much more noticeable. Guess I could have saved a post if I would have checked that earlier.

I don't think that posts are an endangered species. Someone can certainly learn something from this thread.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page